• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

singapore slang

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
i havent been back to sg nor interact with another singaporean for years, and yesterday when i listen into the internet on a IT open presentation that was presented from singapore by singaporeans, my gosh, my ear can bleed! I just cant believe the standards of english and slang that we are so accustomed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0XOFrFOVI

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i havent been back to sg nor interact with another singaporean for years, and yesterday when i listen into the internet on a IT open presentation that was presented from singapore by singaporeans, my gosh, my ear can bleed! I just cant believe the standards of english and slang that we are so accustomed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0XOFrFOVI

There you go. And Singaporeans think they are very good at IT projects.

In Australia, those who deal with ICT are those who really are interested in this industry.

To me, it is fair to engage proper people to do things right. In Singapore, IT always have no budget.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
There you go. And Singaporeans think they are very good at IT projects.

In Australia, those who deal with ICT are those who really are interested in this industry.

To me, it is fair to engage proper people to do things right. In Singapore, IT always have no budget.

The level of appreciation, passion and knowledge you get here is definitely higher then in Singapore. Even the managers here knows whats happening on the technical level unlike in Singapore. I think, it used to be IT was deemed a money spinning profession during the dot com bubble. Hence, you get all these Singaporean being made to believe they should study it to earn money.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
My team lead in Sg used to present this way :-

"Actually ar, this system XXXXX how it works is like that lor, maybe so and so can explain it better la. Got question or not ar?

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think it is partly due to;
- sg education. teachers teach and pupils listen. we are not encourage to speak, everything is result oriented and so, communication is of the least importance. since the govt is more like auocratic, publiic speaking is highly discouraged.
- society's tolerenace or indifferent attitude toward poor communication skills. some think that all the lah and loh are "cute" or identificiations to a certain social culture.

i always like those presenters on SBS news channel, they always speak in a good, clear and well-pronounced words with no slang. im shooting down singlish in my family since i regard it as poor form of verbal communication.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
i always like those presenters on SBS news channel, they always speak in a good, clear and well-pronounced words with no slang. im shooting down singlish in my family since i regard it as poor form of verbal communication.

SBS kekeek especially Lee Lin Chin. Look at the hair! Can give Tony Tan a run for the money. Interesting enough, she grew up in Singapore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Lin_Chin

She was born in Jakarta, Indonesia, and grew up in Singapore, where, in 1968, her media career began in both television and radio. Her varied career has included newsreading, research, reporting, interviews, selecting and programming music, voice-overs for commercials, and making in-flight programs for international airlines. She has a reputation for being a highly-professional and respected news anchor.

2875398962_ac26b6c386.jpg