• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buying a home in Canada

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth hurts :(

Who do you want to believe? Cheong Wing Lee or the Vancouver Sun? :rolleyes:

4539861914_1966166439_o.jpg

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Look for Canadian home prices real time at www.mls.ca . Type in any city. Try Kamloops in British Columbia. Just bought a house of 2100 sq ft for $322,000 with 8000 sq ft of land in town. Left Spore 2001.

Agree, Canada is big enough that one can always find a nice place anywhere to fit one's work, budget and lifestyle. A home in Canada is not always about pricey houses in prime downtown locations. There are numerous alternative cities to downtown Vancouver or Toronto that has their own economic activity.

Million dollar small old houses in Canada are the equivalent of $900K HDB flats in Singapore, these are in high-demand areas that the average person normally will look elsewhere when buying their home.

Jackbcryan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got to give it to Wendy, she's right here. Sometimes these Canadians do cock up!! I work with them! Hey, it comes with the life style: laissez faire (spelled right?), easy-going, joking all the time, and you expect them to get everything right? Gimme a break.

Jackbcryan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I spent some time in kamloops. Its the hick town of BC. Better go to Kelowna or Vancouver island
I had to look up definition of hicktown.

"Hick Town 34 up, 11 down
buy hick town mugs, tshirts and magnetsA southern, mostly redneck town that has few offerings other than simply being a community that knows and cares for each other above all else.

Usually characterized as:

A town with one, if any, stop light.

Most of the inhabitants drive trucks or other oversized SUV

Cow/horse pastures everywhere

If you're lucky, 2 convenience stores, a gas station, and a liqour store

One road in and out

Usually full of Hicks, Rednecks, Country boys, and similar.

Most everyone knows each other and loves their town"

Kamloops, a hick town? I barely know my neighbours next door. Go on and google Earth Kamloops and see if it has one road in and one road out with one traffic light junction.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mind you, that's Lansdowne Mall, if you cannot eat in peace at Lansdowne Mall, I don't know where else is safe in Richmond! I thought eating at those chinese/vietnamese restaurants in Vancouver is scary because of robbery, now I can't eat at a major mall in Richmond :eek:

4605683712_e929eaebdc_o.jpg

aaliajones

Now days price of every thing is going high and high , if any one wants a home of his own in the Canada then and not having sufficient funds , then can take a home loan this will be best option according to me.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Asychee,

After reading about Wendy's assessment about prices in Canada, i have decided to start to looking at the houses there immediately as from her postings, she has convinced me that Canada is the right place with the prices of property still at that range.

Thank you so much for your sharing about Canada. I hope that you can continue to share more about Canada and keep up the great work.
The postings from you and especially Wendy has helped to sway me in my decision to start looking for houses there.

Do you know of anyone who can help assist with the home buying process? I am eager to start rightaway and looking at the links right now.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hi Asychee,

After reading about Wendy's assessment about prices in Canada, i have decided to start to looking at the houses there immediately as from her postings, she has convinced me that Canada is the right place with the prices of property still at that range.

Thank you so much for your sharing about Canada. I hope that you can continue to share more about Canada and keep up the great work.
The postings from you and especially Wendy has helped to sway me in my decision to start looking for houses there.

Do you know of anyone who can help assist with the home buying process? I am eager to start rightaway and looking at the links right now.

What is your objective in buying the home in Canada? Are you moving to Canada? Got your PR? Or for investment purposes only?

I bought a property from asychee that I moved into when I came to Edmonton. Later bought a second property where I live now and am renting the first property.

If you are moving over to Edmonton, there is a quite a large group of us ex-Singaporeans who can share with you our experiences buying a home in Edmonton. Different people have different views and objectives.

Cheers!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
What is your objective in buying the home in Canada? Are you moving to Canada? Got your PR? Or for investment purposes only?

I bought a property from asychee that I moved into when I came to Edmonton. Later bought a second property where I live now and am renting the first property.

If you are moving over to Edmonton, there is a quite a large group of us ex-Singaporeans who can share with you our experiences buying a home in Edmonton. Different people have different views and objectives.

Cheers!

For PR and thinking of having a base there as well. Thanks for letting me know. Edmonton sounds pretty interesting.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ms Poh, why you want to stay in Vancouver or Toronto? Property bubbles there lah.

Move to Windsor ...cheap, cheap.

Healthcare - in Canada, at least, you won't go die of financial distress after medical treatment. Everywhere there is wait times for health care unless you have loads of cash.

Fraser Institute - this right-wing think tank does bs research to support getting rid of all social programs. You will never get a research from them that is objective.

Ms Poh, please stay in Sinkapore, okay.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ms Poh, why you want to stay in Vancouver or Toronto? Property bubbles there lah.

Move to Windsor ...cheap, cheap.

Healthcare - in Canada, at least, you won't go die of financial distress after medical treatment. Everywhere there is wait times for health care unless you have loads of cash.

Fraser Institute - this right-wing think tank does bs research to support getting rid of all social programs. You will never get a research from them that is objective.

Ms Poh, please stay in Sinkapore, okay.

Hi winnipegjets!

Seeing you brings back old memories. I remember you were one of the guys who shared what migrating to Canada was like back in 2002.

Recently we had our Alberta Provincial Elections. It was interesting that in BC and Ontario, the immigrants tend to give their vote to the liberals/NDP. Whereas in Alberta, immigrants tend to vote right wing Progressive Conservative.

My theory is that the type of immigrant who tends to go to Vancouver and Toronto is not the same as the one who goes to the Prairies or the Maritimes. If you know what I mean.

Back in 2002 I didn't understand "winnipegjets". Now of course I do! Too bad no Canadian teams got past round one of the playoffs eh? I'm an Oilers fan now. Just hope they can improve defensively.

Cheers to you!