• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ho Ching insults Singaporeans with western names

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mar 21, 2010

No need for a 'uneqqee' name

Trend of using unique Westernised names reflects insecurity

<!-- by line -->By Lee Wei Ling

http://www.straitstimes.com/Think/Story/STIStory_504595.html
Over the last 50 years, the names people choose for their children, and the names some people give themselves, have changed dramatically.
When my father was born in 1923, his family consulted a friend knowledgeable in choosing names. He suggested 'Kuan Yew', which means 'brightness' in Hokkien.

My great-grandfather was awed by the British and added 'Harry' to my father's name. Because his name appeared as 'Harry Lee Kuan Yew' on his birth certificate, when he graduated from Cambridge University and later from Middle Temple, he could not persuade either institution to drop 'Harry' from his university degree or his certificate as Barrister-at-law.

In 1950, he managed to arrange for himself to be called to the Singapore Bar as just 'Lee Kuan Yew', sans 'Harry'. 'Lee Kuan Yew' thus became his public persona. To this day, only family members and a few very close friends call him 'Harry'.

My brothers and I have no ang moh name. My parents were not literate in Chinese when we were born, so my father approached a court interpreter he knew to give him some names to choose from.

My name, 'Wei Ling', means 'the sound of tinkling jade'. My parents did not foresee that I would grow up to be a tomboy who would join the army cadets in secondary school, where my loud and resonant voice was deemed appropriate for a parade commander.

'Wei Ling' is a very common name for Chinese girls. When I try to sign up for electronic journals on the Internet, and the system prompts me for a user name, I try all possible permutations of my name, including 'Li', 'Weiling' or 'Wei-Ling'. Alas, I invariably find they have all been taken by others. Exasperated, I would sometimes try 'Lee Hsien Yang', and the system would immediately accept it.

Throughout my years in school, from kindergarten to pre-university, all my friends had only Chinese, Malay or Indian names. When I was in medical school and during my early years of postgraduate training, the only Westernised names were the Christian names of those who were actually Christian.

By the late 1980s, however, non-Christian Chinese began to have Westernised names and often did not use their Chinese names at all. The trend was initially subtle and I had assumed that those with Westernised names were all Christians. It was only when I needed to write a cheque to a friend and I was told, 'don't include my Western name, just write 'Tan Chee Beng'' or whatever, did it dawn on me that the Western names were not official.

My brothers chose not to give their children any Western names. One nephew, when he was in school, asked his parents' permission to adopt a Western name. His mother Ho Ching told him: 'In China, only waiters and waitresses use Western names.' My father also explained how 'Harry' became part of his name and how he tried to remove it.

To date, none of my nephews or niece has a Western name.
I trained in Boston from 1981 to 1984, and in Toronto in 1992. I kept my Chinese name throughout and told those who had difficulty remembering my name just to call me 'Lee'.

To my close childhood friends and my family, I am just 'Ling'. I still think 'tinkling jade' hardly reflects my nature. To those who know me, 'Wei Ling' perhaps conjures up a very different image from that of tinkling jade.
I am glad that Malays and Indians rarely give or adopt Western names - unless they are Christians, in the case of the Indians. I guess there is still a strong anti-colonial instinct in me that leads me to abhor any attempt by people in former colonies to adopt the names of their past colonial masters.

In the book The Narcissism Epidemic by Jean M. Twenge and
W. Keith Campbell, there is a chapter on 'Uniqueness'. They write: 'The biggest trend in baby names recently isn't a particular name; it's that fewer children receive common names.

'The Social Security Administration has compiled a database of the names given to every American child born since 1879. Half the boys born in 1946 received one of the top 23 names. Back then, naming a child was about belonging and fitting in instead of uniqueness and standing out...
'But over the last few decades, parents, tired of common names, wanted something unique for their children. At first it was a slow progression: As late as 1987, 3 per cent of boys were named Michael and 3 per cent of girls were named Jessica, with one out of five boys and one out of six girls receiving one of the 10 most popular names.

'Then, during the 1990s, unique names caught fire and fewer and fewer children received the most popular name for their sex, and only one out of 11 boys and one out of 12 girls went by a name in the top 10...
'Now it is considered better to stand out as an individual and be 'unique'. In fact, 223 babies born in the 1990s in California were named Unique, with some parents putting teeth into it with names like Uneek, Uneque or Uneqqee...

'Unique spellings are also trendy: Why name a child Michael or Kevin when they can be Mychal or Kevyn?'

The same trend can be observed in Singapore, especially among the Chinese. An example I came across recently here of a thoroughly made-up, 'uneqqee' name was 'Evetor'.

I asked a Malay friend whether there has been a similar trend among Malay names. She replied: 'Most Malay names have either Arabic or Sanskrit roots and some are drawn from Malay literature. When I was younger, many more Malays had simpler names. Now you find a whole generation growing up with multiple names, not just a simple Fatimah or plain Aminah. Instead, it will be Fatimah Nadia Trina, or Natasha Atiqa, et cetera.
'What you will notice about these new fashionable names is that they are a blend of Western and Islamic names,' my friend told me.

I view this new trend of choosing Westernised unique names as another example of the narcissistic epidemic. I feel that if you need a name to distinguish yourself, you or your parents probably have a chip on your or their shoulder, combined with a cultural inferiority complex.

The writer is director of the National Neuroscience Institute.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I agree with her 100%. "Foyce" Lim, "Wendy" Chong and "Jack" Neo should too.

The Chinese seem to be more ashamed of the names their parents gave them than any other ethnic group on the face of this earth.:rolleyes: What a pathetic bunch they are. :eek:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
A survey in China showed that over 3,500 babies will be named "Olympics". This is at least a consolation for them if they can't bear "Olympic babies" -- children delivered at 8:08 pm, on August 8, 2008, when the opening ceremonies begin.

In Hong Kong, we may see traces of this naming phenomenon, but we don't need the Olympics to discover that some first names of Hong Kong people are not the usual ones we recognize. While Hong Kong people have surnames or family names that are very common (people who have same surnames aren't necessarily related), the first names are what usually catches my attention.

I have a friend named River (a male), a former colleague named Platini (another male) and I recall having one client named Rainbow (a female). And as I recalled asking someone having such similar unusual name, she told me that it is the closest to her Chinese name she could think of. Most of the time it is the parents or grand parents who choose the Chinese names but Western or Christian names are commonly left to the discretion of those who bear them.

As Wikipedia explains:

In Hong Kong and Macau, some people may have their Chinese given names related to the pronunciation or meaning of their English given names, while many in Taiwan will choose their adoptive English name based on their Chinese given name.​

I am not sure what is the motive of having strange first names. Is this to have the most unique name of all? Is this to make someone popular? Or is it the closest Western counterpart of their Chinese name (even if such Western name rarely exists)?

I made up most of these names but you should not be surprised if you come across any of the following:

Hitler Wong, Gummy Choi, Winky Cheung, Milky Tam, Kenix Kwok, Chlorine Shum, Power Lau, Natalis Chan, Tats Yeung, Bondy Chau, Sammul Chan, Solar Yim, Sicily Pang, Jelly Au, etc.

Some of these names are derived from popular culture, movies and things that interest these people.

I don't really mind them using these names; it's their business and not mine. I am just wondering why these fine ladies and gentlemen could stray from using the mainstream naming convention and prefer to use these interesting names, not to mention their weird meanings.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hong Kong Handles

names.jpg
English names for Hong Kong Chinese range from traditional to inventive to downright bizarre.
The names listed below were collected from print publications, business cards and e-mail* — as well as personal observation. The original list was massive; I've weeded it, because despite the seeming oddity of a Chinese fellow with a first name of say, Ludwig, it's not that strange.
But some handles are truly odd and unexpected, and these are first names people actually use. When reading through them, remember that most are self-inflicted.
* Most of these came from a defunct web site. Thanks to Jennifer Fresco for collecting such great examples of weird Hong Kong Handles, and for her permission to use the list on this site.
-an

Bevan, Howan, Irvan, Jamnan, Kenathan, Kerlan, Lidian, Millan, Pian
-eee......

Addy, Ailie, Alby, Binny, Bonkie, Boogie, Brankie, Bunty, Chammy, Chapi, Charmy, Chillie, Cini, Cliffy, Cordy, Creamie, Danky, Dawnly, Deki, Ducky, Engee, Esky, Euthy, Fandy, Fanny, Feli, Ferqie, Flossie, Fonny, Gally, Garie, Gawdy, Gayee, Glendy, Grandy, Hoiley, Janny, Jassy, Jervie, Joby, Keeny, Kingdy, Kinki, Kondi, Landy, Livesey, Loby, Lomy, Matchy, Milky, Oddie, Pansy, Petty, Piggy, Pinky, Polvy, Queenie, Reddy, Rimy, Sammi, Sheldy, Sicky, Spacey, Starry, Suki, Sunny, Takey, Takkie, Tandy, Tanny, Thankie Yue, Truly, Tucky, Tunney, Twinkie, Vandie, Vany, Vianney, Vigny, Waiky, Wanky, Wency, Wenny, Wicky, Wilkie, Willie Bunda, Wincey, Winci, Winky, Wylie, Yammie, Yuki, Zacky
-ia

Aegidia, Camelia, Fawnia, Flavia, Fonia, Lucylia, Rodenia, Shelia, Zenobia
-in

Arvin, Aylwin, Dalphin, Ekin, Elvin, Garrin, Jakin, Johnakin, Kelvin, Ninkin, Slin, Wilkin
-man

Anman, Chelman, Daeman, Edman, Fatman, German, Goman, Heman, Hillman, Hurman, Housman, Hyman, Iman, Kingman, Lyman, Silly Man, Tasman, Wayman, Zetman
-son

Addison, Adson, Anson, Banson, Bronson, Clemson, Cusson, Dickson, Edson, Edison, Garrison, Glynson, Kingson, Kinson, Nickerson, Parkson, Quonson, Rayson, Samson, Stimson, Twison, Vinson, Winson
Animal Kingdom

Bear, Beauty Bee, Buffalo, Bull, Cat, Dolphin, Eagle, Fawn, Fish, Fox, Frog, Jackal, Lion, Mantis, Raccoon
Decidedly Descriptive

Bright, Busy, Charming, Empty, Friendly, Fun, Funny, Gay Man, Joker, Lone, Lovely, Moody, Nausea, Normal, Open, Serene, Shaggy, Smart Man, Sterner, Stoner, Tall, True, Unique, Witty
Delusions of Grandeur

Achilles, Adonis, Andes, Antares, Apollo, Ares, Athena, Atticus, Brilliance, Caesar, Glory, Hercules, Incredible, Ignatius, Jesus Christ, Kaiser, King, Lancelot, Mankind, Maximillian, Midas, Morpheus, Napoleon, Ophelia, Orion, Pius, Pluto, Pollux, Princeton, Professor, Saint, Superman, Titan, Venus, Winsome, Xenophon, Zenith, Zeus, Zillion, Zion
Famous & Infamous

Adolf, Avis, Bentley, Benz, Biggie, Bismarck, Bowie, Brando, Bronson, Cher, Cinderella, Churchill, Clinton, Conan, Darwin, Dickens, Edison, Elton, Elvis, Farrah, Ferris Bueller, Fido Dido, Fonz, Franco, Kermit, Hermes, Hitler, Honda, Iggy, Indy, Japan, Kawai, Kennedy, Lenin, Lincoln, Manson, Ozzie, Piaget, Reba, Ringo, Skipper, Sony, Sting, Tigger, Truman, Tweety, Vienna, Yonex, Yorick, Yugo, Zenon, Zorro
Foods

Almond, Apple, Banana, Beany, Cherry, Chocolate, Coffee, Cookie, Fruit, Kiwi, Lemon, Mango, Margarine, Marmalade, Milk, Nestea, Oreo, Pineapple Bun, Potato, Prawn
Mother Nature

Autumn, Born, Chlorine, Diamond, Gamma, Glacier, Green, Jade, Icy, Leafy, Maple, Moon, Mountain, Natural, Ocean, Opal, Orange, Purple, Proton, Rainbow, River, Rock, Season, Shadow, Shamrock, Shell, Shining Sun, Silver, Stone, Winters, Yellow
Odd Objects

Anchor, Anorak, Barrow, Brick, Bullion, Cap, Chain, Heater, Horn, Jacket, Piano, Trunks, Violin
Strange Choices

Action, Aids, Being, Bred, Buggle, Cafe, City, Civic, Cubic, Echo, Execute, Feature, Ferrous, Gain, Haven, Hobby, Kudos, Lego, Lone, Miss, Mister, Money, More, Mucky, Poetry, Singly, Thirteen, Tomorrow, Vein, Version
Top Gun

Ace, Alien, Bomber Man, Captain, Fever, Fry, Iceman, Maverick, Pagan, Sonic, Tower, Trainee, Zero
Flat-Out Weird

Admon, Aioros, Alphon, Arion, Areta, Arleta, Beacliff, Beel, Belem, Benweird, Bevis, Bocys, Cadol, Cangel, Canice, Cannas, Caris, Carpier, Cornox, Corothy, Corrol, Criff, Deaco, Drizzt, Edein, Ellick, Elves, Enrest, Faene, Feda, Fermat, Fimme, Gallen, Gazz, Gildas, Gorrenc, Gouf, Guyver, Harriam, Henricus, Hermine, Hinkmond, Hovid, Ilyn, Iokepa, Irnen, Jacar, Jackon, Jan Vacter, Jehoash Godwine, Johnivans, Jurjur, Kalaine, Katusha, Kenix, Komix, Lamune, Landes, Laputa, Lenno, Livina, Lufter, Malais, Manus, Marylois, Materno, Mexa, Monita, Moniza, Natalis, Novem, Nyx, Oona, Oyland, Parco, Phynix, Plal, Rayearth, Regs, Rickel, Rida, Rids, Rizal, Roginina, Silla, Tanna, Tannil, Tigo, Tinja, Tyatt, Vallenta, Vanus, Venna, Viren, Waycal, Weels, Wenise, Wingo, Wister, Yeah, Zainil, Zarina, Zodak, Zyle

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You missed out 'Noodle Cheng' - HK male star who play gangster roles & star in HK CGI movie FengYun .....

The only funny part abt Lee Wei Ling's article is when she mentioned since her name is too common to be used to register for online accounts, normally she used 'Lee Hsien Yang' - always works fine ! :biggrin:

Should tell her, if 'Lee Hsien Yang' cannot, try 'Lee Hsien Tau' !

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with her 100%. "Foyce" Lim, "Wendy" Chong and "Jack" Neo should too.

The Chinese seem to be more ashamed of the names their parents gave them than any other ethnic group on the face of this earth.:rolleyes: What a pathetic bunch they are. :eek:

Hey before you shout, aren't your name Sam Leong too? What's your problem?

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
[COLOR=_______]My brothers chose not to give their children any Western names.[/COLOR] One nephew, when he was in school, asked his parents' permission to adopt a Western name. His mother Ho Ching told him: 'In China, only waiters and waitresses use Western names.' My father also explained how 'Harry' became part of his name and how he tried to remove it.

Basically, Ho Ching is saying, if you have an English name, you are no better than PRC waiters and waitresses.... HAHA!

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
[COLOR=_______]My brothers chose not to give their children any Western names.[/COLOR] One nephew, when he was in school, asked his parents' permission to adopt a Western name. His mother Ho Ching told him: 'In China, only waiters and waitresses use Western names.' My father also explained how 'Harry' became part of his name and how he tried to remove it.

Basically, Ho Ching is saying, if you have an English name, you are no better than PRC waiters and waitresses.... HAHA!

Now she is offending PRC foreigners in Singapore.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I view this new trend of choosing Westernised unique names as another example of the narcissistic epidemic. I feel that if you need a name to distinguish yourself, you or your parents probably have a chip on your or their shoulder, combined with a cultural inferiority complex.

She is such a shallow minded unmarried woman.
Perhaps because she has a very common name and she is trying to convince herself that having a common name is good?

Isn't a name supposed to be given to distinguish yourself against others?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why I choose to remain single
by Lee Wei Ling

My father became prime minister in 1959, when I was just four years old. Inevitably, most people know me as Lee Kuan Yew’s daughter.

My every move, every word, is scrutinised and sometimes subject to criticism. One friend said I lived in a glass house. After my father’s recent comment on my lack of culinary skills, another observed: “You live in a house without any walls.” Fortunately, I am not easily embarrassed.

As long as my conscience is clear, what other people say of me does not bother me. Indeed, I am open about my life since the more I try to conceal from the public, the wilder the speculation becomes.

My father said of my mother two weeks ago: “My wife was...not a traditional wife. She was educated, a professional woman... We had Ah Mahs, reliable, professional, dependable. (My wife) came back every lunchtime to have lunch with the children.”

Actually, my mother was a traditional wife and mother. She was not traditional only in one respect: She was also a professional woman and, for many years, the family’s main breadwinner.

One of my mother’s proudest possessions is a gold pendant that my father commissioned for her.

He had a calligrapher engrave on the pendant the following characters: “xian qi liang mu” and “nei xian wai de”. The first four characters mean virtuous wife and caring mother.

The second four mean wise in looking after the family, virtuous in behaviour towards the outside world.

My mother lived her life around my father and, while we were young, around her children. I remember my mother protesting gently once about something my father had asked her to do. “It is a partnership, dear,” my father urged.

“But it is not an equal partnership,” my mother replied. The partnership may not have been exactly equal at particular points in time. But over the years, especially after my mother’s health deteriorated after she suffered a stroke, my father was the one who took care of her.

She clearly indicated she preferred my father’s care to that of the doctors’, in itself a revelation of the quality of his care.

He remembers her complicated regime of medications. Because she cannot see on the left side of her visual field, he sits on her left during meals. He prompts her to eat the food on the left side of her plate and picks up whatever food her left hand drops on the table.

I have always admired my father for his dedication to Singapore, his determination to do what is right, his courage in standing up to foreigners who try to tell us how to run our country.

But my father was also the eldest son in a typical Peranakan family. He cannot even crack a soft-boiled egg – such things not being expected of men, especially eldest sons, in Peranakan families.

But when my mother’s health deteriorated, he readily adjusted his lifestyle to accommodate her, took care of her medications and lived his life around her. I knew how much effort it took him to do all this, and I was surprised that he was able to make the effort.

If my parents have such a loving relationship, why then did I decide to remain single? Firstly, my mother set the bar too high for me.

I could not envisage being the kind of wife and mother she had been. Secondly, I am temperamentally similar to my father.

Indeed, he once said to me: “You have all my traits – but to such an exaggerated degree that they become a disadvantage in you.”

When my father made that pendant for my mother, he also commissioned one for me. But the words he chose for me were very different from those he chose for my mother.

On one side of my pendant was engraved “yang jing xu rui”, which means to conserve energy and build up strength. On the other side was engraved “chu lei ba cui”, which means to stand out and excel.

The latter was added just for completion. His main message was in the first phrase, telling me, in effect, not to be so intense about so many things in life.

I knew I could not live my life around a husband; nor would I want a husband to live his life around me. Of course, there are any number of variations in marital relationships between those extremes.

But there is always a need for spouses to change their behaviour or habits to suit each other. I have always been set in my ways and did not fancy changing my behaviour or lifestyle.

I had my first date when I was 21 years old. He was a doctor in the hospital ward I was posted to. We went out to a dinner party. I noted that the other guests were all rich socialites .

I dropped him like a hot potato. In 2005 , while on an African safari with a small group of friends, one of them, Professor C. N. Lee, listed the men who had tried to woo me. There were three besides the first.

Two were converted into friends and another, like the first, was dropped. I am now 54 years old and happily single. In addition to my nuclear family, I have a close circle of friends.

Most of my friends are men. But my reputation is such that their female partners would never consider me a threat. More than 10 years ago, when there was still a slim chance I might have got married, my father told me: “Your mother and I could be selfish and feel happy that you remain single and can look after us in our old age. But you will be lonely.”

I was not convinced. Better one person feeling lonely than two people miserable because they cannot adapt to each other, I figured. I do not regret my choice.

But I want to end with a warning to young men and women: What works for me may not work for others. Many years ago, a young single woman asked me about training in neurology in a top US hospital. I advised her to “grab the opportunity”.

She did and stayed away for eight years. She returned to Singapore in her late 30s and now worries that she may have missed her chance to get married. Fertility in women drops dramatically with age, and older mothers run the risk of having offspring with congenital abnormalities.

Recent studies show also that advanced paternal age is associated with an increased risk of neurodevelopmental disorders in offspring, such as autism and schizophrenia, not to mention dyslexia and a subtle reduction in intelligence.

Men can also suffer from diminished fertility with age although there is wide individual variation.

I would advise young men and women not to delay getting married and having children. I say this not to be politically correct.

I say it in all sincerity because I have enjoyed a happy family life as a daughter and a sister, and I see both my brothers enjoying their own families.

This article was first published in The Straits Times.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with Lee Wei-Ling.

The entertainment industry should take the lead and revert to dialect names:

Tay Hui Geok
Tiong Kim
Lee Beng Soon

In Hongkong:

Quek Hock Seng
Cheung Hock Yew
Cheng Siew Mun

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, some adopt a western name because their chinese names :

1. Chow Chee Bai == Winisiton Wong
2. Tiu Gow Lei == John Tiu
3. Kan Nee Nah == Mary Kan

Problem solved !!:o

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my mother’s proudest possessions is a gold pendant that my father commissioned for her.

He had a calligrapher engrave on the pendant the following characters: “xian qi liang mu” and “nei xian wai de”. The first four characters mean virtuous wife and caring mother.

The second four mean wise in looking after the family, virtuous in behaviour towards the outside world.

My mother lived her life around my father and, while we were young, around her children. I remember my mother protesting gently once about something my father had asked her to do. “It is a partnership, dear,” my father urged.

“But it is not an equal partnership,” my mother replied. The partnership may not have been exactly equal at particular points in time. But over the years, especially after my mother’s health deteriorated after she suffered a stroke, my father was the one who took care of her.

She clearly indicated she preferred my father’s care to that of the doctors’, in itself a revelation of the quality of his care.

Wow...this is not the Lee regime that we've all grown so familiar leh. Very soft, very compassionate. Must vote them into government again, I feel so.
But my father was also the eldest son in a typical Peranakan family. He cannot even crack a soft-boiled egg – such things not being expected of men, especially eldest sons, in Peranakan families.

Sure or not ? Does she know her father kept knuckle-duster in the kitchen drawer ?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
The name Sam is so old school. Probably suits an old fart like him. Also he is trying his best to fit into white man land Australia.

No it's New Zealand.
Lol talking about Chinese seem to be more ashamed of the names their parents gave them but he himself left his Burma country to be a Singaporean and then migrate to New Zealand. He is ashamed of his own country. How many people can be a traitor twice?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow...this is not the Lee regime that we've all grown so familiar leh. Very soft, very compassionate. Must vote them into government again, I feel so.

Sure or not ? Does she know her father kept knuckle-duster in the kitchen drawer ?

LKY is just a man after all. You don't vote for LKY because of how he brought up his children or how he is a good father or husband. You vote for him on what he have done or is going to do for Singaporeans.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No it's New Zealand.
Lol talking about Chinese seem to be more ashamed of the names their parents gave them but he himself left his Burma country to be a Singaporean and then migrate to New Zealand. He is ashamed of his own country. How many people can be a traitor twice?

He is a New Zealand citizen but he is not a New Zealander.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's in a name? A rose by another other still smells as sweet, and still comes with the thorns. (Don't need mention his name; you know who said that.)