• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rise of a new Singapore Intelligentsia in 20 years time.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The above subject was discussed by a group of like minded Singaporeans. Like many Singapore political and social topics, where race that is always a factor, this particular topic was initially thought to be bereft of race related sensitivity which is unusual in the Singapore context. It was not the case to be.

The discussions became so intense that it had to be done over a period of time to allow sufficient views to be aired, views to be dissected and examined adequately and more importantly to ensure that time will remove the passion that has the habit of skewing outcomes.

The original intention was to examine the rise of groups similar to the Roundtable, Tangent and a few others that were less organised or loose in structure.

To cut a long story short, the outcome of the discussion is the likely possibility of a body whose origins are similar to Tangent but made up of PRC born naturalised Singaporeans who are effectively bilingual (not Singaporean version of bilingualism where tone and ascent is different and where the cultural depth is shallow), less adverse to risk by DNA, introducing the element or art of guanxi and moving in time to form a powerful political force. Language is not only for communication but can act as barrier to those not conversant in it.

Added to this interesting scenario is the fact that China like Australia allows its ex-citizens one chance to reclaim its once renounced citizenship.

Maybe we should have spent the last 50 years nation-building following the Rajaratnam's template rather than adopt race based policies and race politics. Food for thought and good luck to this country.

One interesting outcome from this discussion was the clear gap between the younger generation and the older generation of members in this group. It was younger generation that took the ground and conceived this scenario as they had come into contact with PRC students and recently naturalised singaporeans of PRC descent as the latter took roles in many government related institutions. Some member of the older generation who were effectively bilingual had not even met a PRC naturalised Singaporean in the course of their professional life.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
A very far-sighted ambition indeed, but perhaps doable. Are we talking about something of a political force to be reckoned with comprising local and new PRs? The Oppo camp will have first mover advantage if the PAP hasnt thought of same.

But while the wounds are still raw and the animosity over their arrivals still fresh, how would/could sinkies broach this idea?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a prediction that such a group will arise and act influentially to further their cause and protect their interest at the expense of locals.

When SAP schools were created, there were rumblings amongst the non-Chinese Singaporeans over the selection criteria as it effectively corrals the top 10% into an elite order that will give rise to an effective old boy's network.

A very far-sighted ambition indeed, but perhaps doable. Are we talking about something of a political force to be reckoned with comprising local and new PRs? The Oppo camp will have first mover advantage if the PAP hasnt thought of same.

But while the wounds are still raw and the animosity over their arrivals still fresh, how would/could sinkies broach this idea?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... One interesting outcome from this discussion was the clear gap between the younger generation and the older generation of members in this group. ...
how young is young n how o is o? ... any break down? ... :confused:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a prediction that such a group will arise and act influentially to further their cause and protect their interest at the expense of locals.

Are we talking about a deja vu of Tan Lark Sye/Lee Kong Chian/Tan Kah Kee type of pressure group? Ethnic based interests? Racial politics? We have come a long way and still fault lines are latent, as Old Man likes to remind us.

SAP was GKS answer to the wish of govt retaining Chinese roots, language and culture (while not saying so in so many words - Confucian (spurs in yr ass) work ethics, deference to (PAP)authority, society(PAP) first/indiv last- which of course are what the PAP wants to see in a pliant population) in an English-dominated open economy and world.

However, the younger gen of chinese in China are also learning English to connect with the world, at the same time, mandarin will still be lingua franca within China ( so Baidu still trumps Google anytime). But in terms of societal values, the younger set (in China) are picking up Western ways and pop culture.

Where will the PRC-PRs be headed? I believe they are only here briefly, and this diaspora will return to China one day. As long as Singapore pays them much better than back home, they will continue to pour in and stay. But standards of living will rise in China and they will have to contend with higher cost of living if they remain here, there will be push-pull factors that will reverse the flow. The top tier ones have heeded their govt's call to go home from the US torebuild China. It's the lower to middle tiers that we are perhaps seeing in our midst. What their needs are? what aspirations if any? Are they /will they be serious citizens, out to build Singapore?

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sounds very plausible.

The new Chinese will do to the local populace what the local Chinese were accused of doing via the SAF school system. But on a far bigger scale.

We have come full circle. I don't like how the game is being played out. Not one bit.

When SAP schools were created, there were rumblings amongst the non-Chinese Singaporeans over the selection criteria as it effectively corrals the top 10% into an elite order that will give rise to an effective old boy's network.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
At any one time, there are always one or two groups that plan to emerge and influence society in a discreet manner. Clearly you know your history well as the chaps that you mentioned funded the creation of the Democratic Party and went for first local elections but fared badly when Old man and Marshall in a public debate revealed that party address is that of the Millionaires Club at Bukit Pasoh. Yes, its groups of this nature.

In early 1990, some of the up and coming and highly mobile chaps put together a group chaired by Arthur Lim's son and got endorsement from the corridors of power as sponsors and champions for Singapore. These were chaps based overseas but had significant stake in Singapore. Cabinet ministers would grace their meetings with a pep talk. It floundered when the roots began sinking in in their new country.

Are we talking about a deja vu of Tan Lark Sye/Lee Kong Chian/Tan Kah Kee type of pressure group? Ethnic based interests? Racial politics? We have come a long way and still fault lines are latent, as Old Man likes to remind us.

Excellent points, some of these were raised by the older generation. Bond breaking by PRC singapore scholars to go west is now well known. The west is the final destination and Singapore is just a stepping stone. This is where the younger ones in the group have disagreed with the older chaps in the group. As the younger ones tend to engage them more, they feel that we are getting the mediocre lot and the govt is pandering over them. CJ case over the PRC lady with forged document, the overstaying allowed to return to run his coffeeships are such examples.

The Kowloon Club came into significance in the 90s with Aline Wong as sponsor and they had effectively setup a strong network. But Hong Kongers gave up on Singapore and left when things turned better as Ngiam pointed out.

Tbe younger lot are convinced that a PRC influence group is emerging that has to be reckoned with and its not Singapore as a nation but Singapore as a resource that would be their aim.

I think it its in state of flux. If Singaporeans sit on their hands, they might be in for a rude shock.

Where will the PRC-PRs be headed? I believe they are only here briefly, and this diaspora will return to China one day. As long as Singapore pays them much better than back home, they will continue to pour in and stay. But standards of living will rise in China and they will have to contend with higher cost of living if they remain here, there will be push-pull factors that will reverse the flow. The top tier ones have heeded their govt's call to go home from the US torebuild China. It's the lower to middle tiers that we are perhaps seeing in our midst. What their needs are? what aspirations if any? Are they /will they be serious citizens, out to build Singapore?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tangent when it first emerged caught many people by surprise. Oxbridge / Ivy league educated, effectively bilingual and a product of SAP schools. Though many predicted the emergence of such a group, the assumption was that those highly educated in the West would be beyond chauvinism. It was not the case. They demanded that TV and Press quality of Mandarin was substandard and wanted changes. They made one error and they are now drifting in the high seas for it - they opposed the PAP MPs designated to look after Chinese interest and wanted their nominated MPs. They thought that they could do an "AMP" on the govt not realising that AMP had the Govt by the balls after seeking endorsement from practically all Malay professionals.

When that did not work, and to dispel any notion that they were parochial and chauvinist, they sough engagement with high brow professionals from the other races. They engaged a group of Malay influential professional in a dialogue. At the end of the session, one of the Malay participant told them that he could not beleive what they were saying.
Such groups are no different to the neo-conservatives in Washington that hijacked a presidency and went to war in 2 countries and still bleeding.

If we had done nation-building right and imbibed the correct values, we won't be having a country that is run on racial lines first and nationality second. Look at the US, every parochial prick that lands in the soil either becomes a full blooded american or get gets sidelined by his children. 25 years ago, we had close friends amongst the Malays, Indians and Eurasians. Its not the case anymore.

I recall that in the early years with lots of promise, influential group wannabees such as the freemasons and the Chinese Chamber of Commerce were increasingly sidelined.

Sounds very plausible.

The new Chinese will do to the local populace what the local Chinese were accused of doing via the SAF school system. But on a far bigger scale.

We have come full circle. I don't like how the game is being played out. Not one bit.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

Interesting revelation. I have friends who are in Tangent but are not aware of such things. Yes, it is formed by some people who are highly educated (many overseas and strongly bilingual), most are from the SAP schools and yes, they have rejected the leadership from PAP's Chinese elites.

Interestingly, there are people who are working in the MSM. But I have never heard of them pressing for a NMP seat.

Goh Meng Seng

Tangent when it first emerged caught many people by surprise. Oxbridge / Ivy league educated, effectively bilingual and a product of SAP schools. Though many predicted the emergence of such a group, the assumption was that those highly educated in the West would be beyond chauvinism. It was not the case. They demanded that TV and Press quality of Mandarin was substandard and wanted changes. They made one error and they are now drifting in the high seas for it - they opposed the PAP MPs designated to look after Chinese interest and wanted their nominated MPs. They thought that they could do an "AMP" on the govt not realising that AMP had the Govt by the balls after seeking endorsement from practically all Malay professionals.

When that did not work, and to dispel any notion that they were parochial and chauvinist, they sough engagement with high brow professionals from the other races. They engaged a group of Malay influential professional in a dialogue. At the end of the session, one of the Malay participant told them that he could not beleive what they were saying.
Such groups are no different to the neo-conservatives in Washington that hijacked a presidency and went to war in 2 countries and still bleeding.

If we had done nation-building right and imbibed the correct values, we won't be having a country that is run on racial lines first and nationality second. Look at the US, every parochial prick that lands in the soil either becomes a full blooded american or get gets sidelined by his children. 25 years ago, we had close friends amongst the Malays, Indians and Eurasians. Its not the case anymore.

I recall that in the early years with lots of promise, influential group wannabees such as the freemasons and the Chinese Chamber of Commerce were increasingly sidelined.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They were politically immature. Moment they expressed their dissatisfaction with PAP members designated to look after Chinese interest, they lost the game. At that time, they were not after NMP seats. They actually wanted some sort of role in picking those representing Chinese interest. I suspect they thought that as the PAP gave into AMP, they might give in to them. I thought it was also trivial to lament about the quality of Chinese dramas on TV.

In this game, you need numbers or you need wealth to secure the numbers. They had neither. This was a generation that was brought up in the erroneous belief that scholars ran things and were highly influential.

Mercantile interests drive influence within the broad Singapore Chinese Community. Even schools of learning such as Chinese High and Nanyang fall within their ambit of influence. Political ideals are secondary and parochialism is only good within the context of trade and commerce. The chaps in Tangent had no clue about trade and commerce or had a background in it. It was no surprise that SCCC wanted no part with this lot. The last time, SCCC broke bread with people of this lot in the 1950, they ended up leading trade unions against the Towkays.

Dear Scroobal,

Interesting revelation. I have friends who are in Tangent but are not aware of such things. Yes, it is formed by some people who are highly educated (many overseas and strongly bilingual), most are from the SAP schools and yes, they have rejected the leadership from PAP's Chinese elites.

Interestingly, there are people who are working in the MSM. But I have never heard of them pressing for a NMP seat.

Goh Meng Seng

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tangent did have some misteps and made some mistakes in the early years- blame it on the literary and idealistic backgrounds that most come from. The impression is that they are laying low for a bit now but with young (i.e. below 40) individuals in nodal places (e.g. academia, the mainstram press- both Chinese and English, publishing), the fundamentals is there for them to be galvanized into something relevant.

Put it this way, their journal "Tangent" is surprisingly well-subscribed- even in overseas universities. Tangent's link with the publisher (World Scientific) and the latter's links to other think tanks (e.g. East Asia Institute) will ensure that PAP (and Braddell Brothel) has no monopoly on knowledges and truths.

For such a young group of people, their ability to connect/resonate with the older group of Nantah folks is already heaps better than the Old Man's.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you on the literary and idealistic part. They also went into the arts arena which the traditional mercantile lot are uncomfortable with. What they need to do is secure sponsors(not financial but philosophical) for their cause and bring people onside. They might have to seriously drop their prerequisites for membership or else it will remain aloof and elitist.

Tangent did have some misteps and made some mistakes in the early years- blame it on the literary and idealistic backgrounds that most come from. The impression is that they are laying low for a bit now but with young (i.e. below 40) individuals in nodal places (e.g. academia, the mainstram press- both Chinese and English, publishing), the fundamentals is there for them to be galvanized into something relevant.

Actually there has been some level of suspicion that someone or some people from Nantah has been prodding them on the PAP issue. A repeat of the Tang affair.

For such a young group of people, their ability to connect/resonate with the older group of Nantah folks is already heaps better than the Old Man's.

By the way, East Asia Institute has other purposes besides literary. Its firmly in the hands of the PAP.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, East Asia Institute has other purposes besides literary. Its firmly in the hands of the PAP.

Very true but I think there has been simmering tensions nonetheless. For a strongly bilingual and non-religious group, Tangent has no parallel in Singapore. I hung out with a few of these people some years back (so I am probably biased towards them). Some of them were really my school/classmates back in the day when our school in Bukit Timah still got flooded frequently.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are not bias. They are very nice and sincere folks. The moment you chat with them, you know that they are decent folks. That's why they did not have the political guile that most associate with the politically ruthless. The fact that they were prepared to meet with the Malays were telling of their sincerity.

They however have to realise that in a plural society, too many things are at stake. Compromises is the price for peace and stability.

Very true but I think there has been simmering tensions nonetheless. For a strongly bilingual and non-religious group, Tangent has no parallel in Singapore. I hung out with a few of these people some years back (so I am probably biased towards them). Some of them were really my school/classmates back in the day when our school in Bukit Timah still got flooded frequently.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
More than a generation have passed since Nantah's demise. I wonder aloud if there would be enough embers in the ashes for a phoenix to rise. I'm speaking post-Old Man. One compelling reason could be the continuing rise of China and a raison-detre for reviving Nantah modelled after Ivy league Chinese Uni's to propagate chinese culture/language/trade & commerce. Look at the Confucian Institute and East Asian studies. Just the right things to park under a revived Nantah. Then, it could well be a conveneint honey-pot and enclave for PRC-S'poreans to nucleate.

Actually there has been some level of suspicion that someone or some people from Nantah has been prodding them on the PAP issue. A repeat of the Tang affair.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there's going to be a (new) intelligentsia, I rather it be groups like Tangent then one led by new immigrants who (because they always have a recourse, a homeland to retreat to) might be less circumspective and more rash.

All this talk is making me want to flip through some past issues of "Tangent", if only they can make their message more masses-digestible!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree......

If there's going to be a (new) intelligentsia, I rather it be groups like Tangent then one led by new immigrants who (because they always have a recourse, a homeland to retreat to) might be less circumspective and more rash.

All this talk is making me want to flip through some past issues of "Tangent", if only they can make their message more masses-digestible!

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
People in Tangent always pride themselves as "apolitical", although some of them made commentaries in the papers on certain issues once a while.

In a way, yes, they lack the political acumen and the nudging belief that civil activism without political influences could bring change to the system. Or rather, civil society comes before political pluralism. I have been thinking about their points repeatedly and find that it cannot be so.

Politics is always the number game and yes, you got it right here. Many people don't really get it and some, worse, being misled by personality or party or organization branding in their approaches. Some even thought that it was because of their "good profile" that draws massive support and attendance to their political rallies and such. It was the numbers which was created from a systematic approach in creation that brought the party branding up, not the other way round.

Similarly, civil societies or NGOs like Tangent have to recognize that without the balance of power within parliament, there will be no incentives for the ones in power to listen to them, unless they have great influence within their community (number game again) or their support is paramount in helping or deterring those in power from winning elections. AMP is one fine example.

Goh Meng Seng

They were politically immature. Moment they expressed their dissatisfaction with PAP members designated to look after Chinese interest, they lost the game. At that time, they were not after NMP seats. They actually wanted some sort of role in picking those representing Chinese interest. I suspect they thought that as the PAP gave into AMP, they might give in to them. I thought it was also trivial to lament about the quality of Chinese dramas on TV.

In this game, you need numbers or you need wealth to secure the numbers. They had neither. This was a generation that was brought up in the erroneous belief that scholars ran things and were highly influential.

Mercantile interests drive influence within the broad Singapore Chinese Community. Even schools of learning such as Chinese High and Nanyang fall within their ambit of influence. Political ideals are secondary and parochialism is only good within the context of trade and commerce. The chaps in Tangent had no clue about trade and commerce or had a background in it. It was no surprise that SCCC wanted no part with this lot. The last time, SCCC broke bread with people of this lot in the 1950, they ended up leading trade unions against the Towkays.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, that's the best summary on politics in Singapore.

People in Tangent always pride themselves as "apolitical", although some of them made commentaries in the papers on certain issues once a while.

In a way, yes, they lack the political acumen and the nudging belief that civil activism without political influences could bring change to the system. Or rather, civil society comes before political pluralism. I have been thinking about their points repeatedly and find that it cannot be so.

Politics is always the number game and yes, you got it right here. Many people don't really get it and some, worse, being misled by personality or party or organization branding in their approaches. Some even thought that it was because of their "good profile" that draws massive support and attendance to their political rallies and such. It was the numbers which was created from a systematic approach in creation that brought the party branding up, not the other way round.

Similarly, civil societies or NGOs like Tangent have to recognize that without the balance of power within parliament, there will be no incentives for the ones in power to listen to them, unless they have great influence within their community (number game again) or their support is paramount in helping or deterring those in power from winning elections. AMP is one fine example.

Goh Meng Seng