• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reform Party: Ex SAF scholar joins Reform Party. Time to stop the Reform?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Reform Party: Ex SAF scholar joins Reform Party.

You are certainly an angry man and melodramatic as well.

No one claimed that Tony was SAFOS. He never the less was a scholar who obtained 1st class honours in engineering and it did not come from Batu Pahat University. Not many people are cut out to be in the SAF or the SAF might not be ready for him. He has however done well under his own steam. Ok, he hasn't walked the moon yet so lets us cut him some slack.

Hi [scroobal],

I agree with you.

Although I have resided overseas for almost three decades, I have tried to keep up with noteworthy news from SG, inspite of my old friends' advice to move on and ignore my birth country.

I believe that most individuals are aware that whatever type or colour of scholars, scholars are the top 5 per cent of any cohort of SG students. There are very few who are chosen as President's Scholars, SAFOS, SPFOS (and there are very few who are aware of how this was born, that is, if my memory does not fail me, two SAFOS who in my humble submission, did not quite make it at 1 SIR, may be because their men AWOL, and the two SAFOS were "transferred" to the SPF, and eventually made it to the top at SPF, top at CID / top at prison, which sort of provided the SPF with an idea to start the SPFOS. -- those two SAFOS were several years my senior), OMS (during my old days, there was the Colombo Plan Scholarship), and most of us are aware that they are very bright.

With respect to TT, he may appear to be less "successful" compared to the SAFOS, but I submit that he is an "Achiever." In addition, even if one or two individuals may consider him to be not so successful in his SAF career (or a failure?), perhaps, as a human being, we should consider offering him some encouragement and support for his courage and commitment thus far. I believe it is much easier to criticize and "demolish" any individual, because (to quote Francis Seow) we are all human beings, and we have our strengths and weaknesses. Severe and unfair criticism do not encourage other individuals who are pondering to make the decision to join a political party which is not PAP.

Our criticism and comments should be like snow flakes, which provide moisture and nourishment but does not hurt, whereas hail stones and freezing rain may damage the crops (we in Toronto experience all types of precipitation).

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

I also say. But this time i must give Scroobal the credit that he did not talk nonsense or make ignorant or delusional 'red pill, blue pill' comments.

Check out this funny one. there is not one SAFOS who isn't LTC by 31-32. But I have heard from my friends in the SAF that Tan's progress in the SAF is typical of SMS.

hahahahaha :rolleyes:

When this type of result is typical, you try telling them that they didn't become SAFOS ish only a technicality lor. See whether they get stroke or not.

I take no pleasure in knowing one SAFOS who remained a Captain till the end of the bond period, simply because apparently, he chose not to do well and progress at a pace where his potential would have enabled him to be promoted to similar ranks like his cohort. He considered the opportunity cost too high if he completed his bond as a LTC. I also know SAFOS, whose promotion to Captain was delayed by at least a year.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

You obviously have severe comprehension problems.

TT is an old ejected failure + nobody to begin with. The 2 qualities are linked actually. Its because of his age that we know whether he has failed or succeeded and in his case, was failed

Anyway I have answered in various points in my previous post. I'm not going to waste more letters on your comprehension problems.

With respect, although you have used "ejected" in several of your posts, I believe it should be rejected.

Perhaps, if he is considered a failure, hopefully, he learned from his mistake(s).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kakowi's lesson on coherency from the master of incoherency. That's got to be a first.

well it is natural that different people will read things differently

i think he is not concerned about coherency, only how far he can push and the types of methods that can be employed to win

if he is after coherency, i believe he can give good perspectives too

as to judging him a caddy or golfer, it is the same tenor as judging a person based on SAFOS or SMS

the main point is that he succeeded where the rest of the other IB nicks failed

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ong Kian Min is an excellent example of a Presidents Scholar who had no time for the uniform and bureaucracy. He got bad reports and couldn't be bothered. Used to drive his Golf GT with his men for lunch. Excellent EQ. As he was wealthy, he paid off the bond and took law. PAP eventually got him to be MP because of his calibre.

I take no pleasure in knowing one SAFOS who remained a Captain till the end of the bond period, simply because apparently, he chose not to do well and progress at a pace where his potential would have enabled him to be promoted to similar ranks like his cohort. He considered the opportunity cost too high if he completed his bond as a LTC. I also know SAFOS, whose promotion to Captain was delayed by at least a year.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Charlie

He would probably tell you like he told me that my example was an Outlier :_)) and that it is impossible for the very very top scholars to GAME the system :_)) whereas my view was that TOP scholar or not sometimes what matters even at the admin level is errrr how much you are supported or liked by your superior. That obviously inculcates a do no wrong see no wrong elitist syndrome which he is exhibiting loads of.

But then again what do I know :_)) I do not breathe the rarified air which You and Scroobal breathe, I just listen to the chatter below the APEX :_))

Locke

jw5

Loyal

Ong Kian Min is an excellent example of a Presidents Scholar who had no time for the uniform and bureaucracy. He got bad reports and couldn't be bothered. Used to drive his Golf GT with his men for lunch. Excellent EQ. As he was wealthy, he paid off the bond and took law. PAP eventually got him to be MP because of his calibre.
He also had the decency to say that pedestrians still had the right of way, even if cyclists were now allowed to cycle on the pavements in Tampines.
Does anyone remember the one with the elderly scottish husband saying that?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Charlie

He would probably tell you like he told me that my example was an Outlier :_)) and that it is impossible for the very very top scholars to GAME the system :_)) whereas my view was that TOP scholar or not sometimes what matters even at the admin level is errrr how much you are supported or liked by your superior. That obviously inculcates a do no wrong see no wrong elitist syndrome which he is exhibiting loads of.

But then again what do I know :_)) I do not breathe the rarified air which You and Scroobal breathe, I just listen to the chatter below the APEX :_))

Locke

During my days, I have seen SAFOS who are not excellent in SAF, but somehow they are deemed to be excellent, and their CO or Brigade Commander usually must write an excellent perdormance appraisal report, otherwise the CO or Bde Comd must provide a detailed explanation to MINDEF.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Irene

Irene got hitched once before.

Pardon me for continuing with the digression from the subject matter of this discussion thread. Are you sure? I recalled that she claimed to be single, whereas to me, single means never married, and if an individual who was married and now single should be separated, divorced or widowed. I find it untruthful for so many Torontonians, age 50 and better, to claim that they are single.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kakowi's lesson on coherency from the master of incoherency. That's got to be a first.

Sorry, i don't understand your post.

He did not focus on being coherent - he just want to experiment.

Anyway, if he comes back again, we can always ask him.

Last edited:

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

He also had the decency to say that pedestrians still had the right of way, even if cyclists were now allowed to cycle on the pavements in Tampines.
Does anyone remember the one with the elderly scottish husband saying that?

I heard that lady is a cycling freak and her contribution is to encourage cyclists on the pathways.

That is why i believe that leaders should be chosen carefully - neither a bicycle thief nor a cycling freak

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Irene

Her first marriage was annulled. Singapore has the highest rate of annulment. As houses are expensive to buy for young couples and rentals are high, most young singaporeans register to get HDB flat but stay as couple with one of the parents and go thru the ceremonial marriage later. In the meantime, if the marriage breaks up, they use the excuse that they don't have a home, never went thru ceremonial marriage and therefore not consummated.

Pardon me for continuing with the digression from the subject matter of this discussion thread. Are you sure? I recalled that she claimed to be single, whereas to me, single means never married, and if an individual who was married and now single should be separated, divorced or widowed. I find it untruthful for so many Torontonians, age 50 and better, to claim that they are single.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: annulment of marriage

Her first marriage was annulled. Singapore has the highest rate of annulment. As houses are expensive to buy for young couples and rentals are high, most young singaporeans register to get HDB flat but stay as couple with one of the parents and go thru the ceremonial marriage later. In the meantime, if the marriage breaks up, they use the excuse that they don't have a home, never went thru ceremonial marriage and therefore not consummated.

Pardon me for being ignorant. How does annulment of marriage in SG works. Is is similar to the Roman Catholics? I have heard RC getting their marriage annulled, which appears illogical because the 2 individuals have children, which is evidence that the marriage should not be annulled, but should be a divorce.

Is the Tampines lady a RC?

Thank you for your anticipated response.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before I rest my case, I want to add that LTC Frederick Teo who is now fined $6k by the SAF Court Martial for having caused 'hurt/cruel behaviour etc' in short, have a liason with a female married subordinate, must surely have a higher CEP than our poor Maj(rt) Tony Tan, right ?

So, scholarship or fast track career record doesn't tell the whole story. QED

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: annulment of marriage

To avoid the stigma of divorce and to claim that they are single. Identical process. It pretty much misused. Not RC but new age christian.

Pardon me for being ignorant. How does annulment of marriage in SG works. Is is similar to the Roman Catholics? I have heard RC getting their marriage annulled, which appears illogical because the 2 individuals have children, which is evidence that the marriage should not be annulled, but should be a divorce.

Is the Tampines lady a RC?

Thank you for your anticipated response.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on.

But some people still just dont get it!

Before I rest my case, I want to add that LTC Frederick Teo who is now fined $6k by the SAF Court Martial for having caused 'hurt/cruel behaviour etc' in short, have a liason with a female married subordinate, must surely have a higher CEP than our poor Maj(rt) Tony Tan, right ?

So, scholarship or fast track career record doesn't tell the whole story. QED