• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Millionaire by 45? It's possible if...

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20091123.172531_investment.jpg

For a graduate couple in Singapore earning median salaries, the goal of becoming millionaires is not too distant, at least on paper.

That is, if they save a third of their income from age 25, and invest prudently to earn a modest return of three per cent a year. This does not include non-liquid assets such as property.

Singapore website salary.sg says that according to the Ministry of Manpower's report on wages 2008, the median salary for professional in the 25-29 age group is $3,416. Professionals in their late thirties can expect to earn a median salary of $5,048. According to this estimate, their combined income will range from $6,832 to $10,096, and by saving a third of their income every month, they can afford to invest between $2,277 to $3,365 a month.

The website claims, "suppose both of you started working at age 25, and always save and invest one-third of your income. If your savings and investments earn just a three per cent rate of return a year, you would have accumulated half a million dollars by age 37 and a full million bucks by age 45".

It also says that a couple who are both managers, earning a median salary of $3,860 a month, can become millionaires by age 39, if they save 40 per cent of their income.

Some netizens have reacted to this post with enthusiasm, while others were doubtful.

One commented that the hypothetical couple must have no children, while some said the blog post assumed that the couple suffered no financial setbacks such as failed investments, retrenchment or expensive medical treatments.

However, a financial adviser interviewed by Lianhe Wanbao agreed that by saving conscientiously and investing prudently, this is possible.

Financial adviser Mr Dennis Ng told Wanbao that low to medium risk investments can yield three to five per cent of returns, so the assumption of a three per cent rate of return is relatively conservative.

"If they can invest shrewdly, such as putting a portion of their savings into high-yield stocks, then they can reach their target even faster, but this also entails higher risk."

Mr Ng says he earned his first million just 15 years after he started working. He started with a monthly income of $6,000.

"I agree that how fast you accumulate your first million is due to two main factors - how much you save and the rate of return of your investments," he said.

A poll on the site also asked readers how old they were when they accumulated $1 million in cash and investments. The majority - 50 per cent - said they have yet to reach that goal. Thirty-eight per cent said they had saved $1 million by age 44. However, it is not clear how many people took the poll.

One forummer nicknamed "lucky investor" shared that it was possible with the assumption that one's investments do well consistently every year.

"I am pretty sure many investors who placed their hard-earned savings with so-called professional fund managers over the last five years would still be seeing a loss, much less any profit. Worse-off are those who invested in structured deposits like credit-linked notes. One has to overcome market volatility, corporate scandals, financial crises and emotions, as well as have a bit of luck to succeed.

"Personally I have been quite fortunate in my investments over the past six years, and managed to turn $200,000 capital into $1.25 million through real-estate and stocks," he said.

Another forummer "Skeptical" shared that "my wife and I don't club, don't drink, don't smoke, don't drive, hardly shop and I have paid off about $60,000 of loan after five years. I am a month away from 31 years old and I don't even have $10,000 of savings to my name".

He also wrote that after graduation, he had to pay off study loans, spent an additional $22,000 on an MBA and purchased an HDB flat in 2007 at the height of the property market.

He concluded, "I too would like to save up one third of my salary but it really isn't too realistic if you would like to have your own place and your parents are too poor to help you with the down payment."

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/My+Money/Story/A1Story20100115-192174.html

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A million isn't enough to retire on in Singapore.

$1,000,000 yielding a net return of 4.5% is $45,000 a year.. nowhere near worry free financial independence.

$5 million by 45 would be a more practical target.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Been there done that, before 40.

10% p.a ROI since 2002, except for 2009 at 2.5%p.a ROI.

Retrenched in 2003, jobless for 3 yrs, in which one of them I furthered my studies.

The point is, life is not textbook trend forecasting when it come to making money, one can't expect to be a millionaire saving pennies from working for someone. Even in investing, one must be streetwise enough to see through the hard sell of well-heeled bankers, commission churning brokers and the odd insurance scum "financial advisor".

Of course, there are the exceptions who are born with brains and talent in what they do, almost like heeding a call; of which heaps of moolah will always reward them for it.

These are the ones worthy of a millionaire's envy...

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u are not millionarire you are loser

why would you like to be a millionaire if you have to live like a pauper?

next day a big earthquake comes, and everything gone!!!

think about it!

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: if u are not millionarire you are loser

No need to wait 20 years to become a millionaire. Every week just invest in $1 of Toto and you can become a millionaire, even before the age of 26. No need a degree.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

No need to wait 20 years to become a millionaire. Every week just invest in $1 of Toto and you can become a millionaire, even before the age of 26. No need a degree.

how come u didn't add in LKY say this and LKY say that. AFraid too many millionaires to be around?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

why would you like to be a millionaire if you have to live like a pauper?

next day a big earthquake comes, and everything gone!!!

think about it!

A millionaire IS a pauper.

You need a lot more than a million bucks to live in comfort. :rolleyes:

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal

where does the 3% return comes from? invest prudently?

ok, millionaire by 45. in the form of property or cash?