• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malay kids need more help

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_14403542.jpg

Outgoing Mendaki CEO laments the attitude of parents who are reluctant to enrol their children in tuition schemes

ON MENDAKI'S MISSION OF EMPOWERING THE DISADVANTAGED THROUGH EDUCATION

'There are three outcomes we want to see: Every child goes to school, stays in school and completes at least 10 years of formal education, and widens his horizons and builds on his strengths.

'If we want to achieve these things, what must we do? It's not just about providing tuition, but we have to look at the issues deeper because there's often more to things.

'Sometimes the child doesn't go to school because he doesn't have shoes, or he doesn't have the money to take transport, or someone in school says that he is stupid.

'Sometimes we have to help family members find a job or child care.

'This is where we leverage on national resources, not duplicate them, work with other agencies and social workers and link the family to the various forms of help they need.'

ON IMPROVING MALAY PUPILS' MATHS GRADES

'We in Mendaki believe that we can do maths, Malays can do maths. It's interesting to read the articles in the newspapers - none says that our brains are wrongly wired or something like that.

'Everybody says the key to doing well in maths is hard work and practice. I failed maths once...'

ON PITCHING IN THROUGH 'HOMEWORK CLINICS'

'One idea I have is homework clinics. We have rental flats. If I can just set up tables at a void deck, offer sandwiches and drinks, and then when I see kids loitering around, I'd ask: 'Got homework or not? Come and bring your homework here and I'll help you. Every Tuesday and Thursday, I'll be here at this time.'

'Can we start something like that?'

ON WHY MENDAKI IS BANKING ON YOUNG PROFESSIONALS TO HELP

'We have the youngest population. Fifty-five per cent of our community is below 35 years old. They are going to be our future leaders.

'They will need to think differently about doing things. Like working with dysfunctional families, what if you can't work with the parents? Do you throw in the towel, or do you find other ways, like working with the kids?'

How bout Chinese kids?

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
whats to worry? Got CDAC mah.

These malay kids suffer because of the backward mentality of their parents who think 2000 a mth is a good salary and everything is cheap when bought with credit.

I suspect they see their numerous kids as their own personal source of income. So why spend so much when you can get the same thru crit mass.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
whats to worry? Got CDAC mah.

These malay kids suffer because of the backward mentality of their parents who think 2000 a mth is a good salary and everything is cheap when bought with credit.

I suspect they see their numerous kids as their own personal source of income. So why spend so much when you can get the same thru crit mass.

CDAC? my foot! a bunch of jia liao bee pap dogs!

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_14403542.jpg

'We have the youngest population. Fifty-five per cent of our community is below 35 years old. They are going to be our future leaders.

I think this explains why. They rather have quantity but chinks rather have quality.

I have a Chink friend where the husband and wife are bringing home around $8000 monthly. They stay in 5 room flat and owns a car. They have 2 kids. From what I know, they spend around $800 a month on their kid's tuition.

I have another malay neighbour who is the sole breadwinner and earns around S$3000. He also stays in a 5 room flat, own a car and motorcycle. He has 4 kids and wife is not working. His kids do not have tuition.

For such a case, the malay expects to be helped? It was his choice to own 2 vehicles, have 4 kids and wife to stay at home.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not education. It is FAMILY PLANNING that the Malays need to jaga. If you have 1 kid, you can spend all your money on the kid education etc. If you have 2, you spend half each. If you have 10? Simple maths.

So if you earn $800 a month, don't have kids. If you earn $1,800 a month, have 1 kid. If you earn $3,500 a month get 2. If you earn $5,000-$10,000 a month, you can afford 3.

Like this, the Malay race will improve very fast with the extra resources and attention the kids are getting.