• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What, halal 'bak kut teh'?

G

General Veers

SE Asia
Home > Breaking News > SE Asia > Story
Dec 22, 2009

What, halal 'bak kut teh'?

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line -->
bkt-makansutra.jpg

A halal version of 'bak kut teh', a herbal broth traditionally made with pork ribs, was introduced at a Tourism Ministry food fair last weekend to promote local cuisine. The new version contains chicken, seafood or vegetables instead of pork, which Islam prohibits. -- PHOTO: MAKANSUTRA

KUALA LUMPUR - A MALAYSIAN government-backed campaign to popularise a well-known ethnic Chinese soup by making a version that avoids pork and fulfills Islamic dietary rules sparked criticism on Tuesday by activists who fear it will confuse Muslims. A halal version of 'bak kut teh', a herbal broth traditionally made with pork ribs, was introduced at a Tourism Ministry food fair last weekend to promote local cuisine. The new version contains chicken, seafood or vegetables instead of pork, which Islam prohibits. However, some Muslims object to the use of 'bak kut teh' to identify the revamped recipe, saying the name is synonymous with pork among people in Muslim-majority Malaysia and neighbouring Singapore, where the dish is beloved by the ethnic Chinese community. 'Bak kut teh' means 'meat bone tea' in a Chinese dialect, but the meat is generally understood to be pork. 'This will cause misunderstanding among the public. It might even lead some Muslims to wonder whether it is all right to eat pork,' said Mr Ma'mor Osman, secretary general of the Malaysian Muslim Consumers Association. The association plans to send a complaint to the Tourism Ministry, urging it to find a new name for the halal version, Mr Ma'mor told The Associated Press. The Department of Islamic Development, a government group that oversees Islamic policies, reportedly said it won't allow the dish to be formally certified as halal if it continues to be named 'bak kut teh'. Islamic authorities are worried that Muslims will wrongly assume that the soup's pork version is suitable for consumption, the department's deputy director, Mr Lokman Abdul Rahman, told the Utusan Malaysia newspaper. -- AP

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stupid Matland bosses so desperate to make the dishes look local that they do stupid stuff like this

They want to promote "local" dishes in the end, end up creating abominations of local dishes and promoting them

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why reinvent the wheel? There's already a halal version of bakkutteh; it's called sup kambing. Chicken soup is also already available in Muslim food; it's called soto ayam.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why reinvent the wheel? There's already a halal version of bakkutteh; it's called sup kambing. Chicken soup is also already available in Muslim food; it's called soto ayam.

where you go? I tot you were really dead...hehe...

soup kambing is malay dish, bakuteh kambing is cina lah! :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
where you go? I tot you were really dead...hehe...

soup kambing is malay dish, bakuteh kambing is cina lah! :biggrin:

For the Lord saith, I am the Life and the Resurrection; I'm still alive, thanks and praise be to the Lord.

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of malays ate bah kut teh albeit covertly. Like the saying, once you turned black, there is no going back.

One of my good Malay friend's favourite line is " Babi tak mau, tapi char siew taroh lebih " when ordering his wantan mee.

The nicknamed for "bah yoo pho" is kacang btw...

presa1200

Alfrescian
Loyal
muslims around the world already have their own delicious foods (even rated one of the best), making some chinese food into halal version is just another option and it's not that their lives depend on it. so i would say this is such a petty issue.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Based on their logic, they should change the name HAMburger as it will confuse Muslims too.

Their leaders really think Mats are that stupid to differentiate chicken from pork?

Muslim cannot eat pork but can eat ham.........

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
This will be a good defence for alvin and vivian wrt their Bak kut teh during "buka puasa" in ramadan.
They sell packets of halal "bak kut teh" herbs in malaysian supermarkets. So i dunno what the fuss is all about.

presa1200

Alfrescian
Loyal
This will be a good defence for alvin and vivian wrt their Bak kut teh during "buka puasa" in ramadan.
They sell packets of halal "bak kut teh" herbs in malaysian supermarkets. So i dunno what the fuss is all about.

muslims shouldn't take it too seriously if they truly understand this. u know, if their goal was to create some controversial issues, the more muslims are pissed off the happier they are. so it stands to reason why silence is golden.