• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

how to pronouce W ?

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mean the ABC....W..x y z?

when I was in primary 1 in 1971
I was taught to pronouce it as 'dubbed dew'

but now my 3 year old niece pronouce it as 'double you'
as she learn it from the youtube

I wonder if my teacher have made a mistake
anyway its been 40 yrs now and I think she must be dead

some one suggest that ameracian pronuce Z as zee
and british pronouce as zack...

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I mean the ABC....W..x y z?

when I was in primary 1 in 1971
I was taught to pronouce it as 'dubbed dew'

but now my 3 year old niece pronouce it as 'double you'
as she learn it from the youtube

I wonder if my teacher have made a mistake
anyway its been 40 yrs now and I think she must be dead

some one suggest that ameracian pronuce Z as zee
and british pronouce as zack...

Your niece (and the YouTube video) is correct, your Primary 1 teacher 40 yrs ago was wrong.

Notice that W (w) looks like UU (uu). Hence the alphabet W is pronounced 'double-U'.

And yes, Americans and British pronouce the alphabet 'Z' differently, but it makes no difference when pronunciating words.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your niece (and the YouTube video) is correct, your Primary 1 teacher 40 yrs ago was wrong.

Notice that W (w) looks like UU (uu). Hence the alphabet W is pronounced 'double-U'.

QUOTE]

In that case, it should be pronouced as "double V".... the W (VV):confused:

By the way, the correct one is "Da Pore U":rolleyes:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal

And yes, Americans and British pronouce the alphabet 'Z' differently, but it makes no difference when pronunciating words.

Looks more like "double vee" with pointed bottoms. Maybe the original written form has rounded bottoms.

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
The British pronounce "Z" as "zed" not "zack".

"Zack" is the Singlish pronunciation. :rolleyes:

That isn't the most fundamental error in this thread. Can I yell at the Singlish speakers for a minute?

"A" IS A LETTER

"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" IS AN ALPHABET

THERE ARE 26 LETTERS IN THE ALPHABET.

WHEN YOU SAY "ALPHABETS" INSTEAD OF "LETTERS", YOU MAKE ME WANT TO STAB YOU. IN THE EYE. WITH MY ERECT PENIS.

jw5

Loyal
Its Double "U". Personally it looks more like Double "V".
Hahaha bro, I was about to post the same thing.
Should be double v and not double u.
But I guess you can also write a "w" with 2 us instead of 2 vs. :smile: