• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Singaporeans ever "work to live" and not vice versa?

Godot

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mean i see Singaporeans and compare to lots of other developed countries and the mentality is far different.

In Australia for example, most people knock off on the dot and their working hours are less, doesn't mean they get less done during the day. In Singapore, i can see that if you get off work before your boss you are seen as "slacking" or unproductive, and they actually "live to work" instead of "work to live"

Will Singapore ever adopt the corporate culture of many other developed countries or will it be the same for the foreseeable future?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last time,I always consider work as my priority over anything.Now,work to me is just something to enable me to earn a living. The most impt. thing to me now is to enjoy life.

As for the harassment I have been bestowed, i can only say 同在屋檐下,不得不低头.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I mean i see Singaporeans and compare to lots of other developed countries and the mentality is far different.

The problem with ethnic Chinese societies is the ingrained need to "keep up appearances".

Can a sinkie remain happy and content driving a Hyundai when his friends are all driving beemers and mercs? If he can, then he's a good candidate for adopting the "work to live" attitude towards life.

In OZ and NZ, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a chippy and a CEO. Very little sets them apart. They drive the same sorts of vehicles, love the same games and drink at the same pubs. It's about as egalitarian as you can get in a capitalist society. That's why they can work to live. They don't have to constantly strive to maintain "face".

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will Singapore ever adopt the corporate culture of many other developed countries or will it be the same for the foreseeable future?

Wait long long. Remember that joker who said SG pple not good at making babies and our productivity is dropping so he suggest making us work on Sat again

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with ethnic Chinese societies is the ingrained need to "keep up appearances".

Can a sinkie remain happy and content driving a Hyundai when his friends are all driving beemers and mercs? If he can, then he's a good candidate for adopting the "work to live" attitude towards life.

In OZ and NZ, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a chippy and a CEO. Very little sets them apart. They drive the same sorts of vehicles, love the same games and drink at the same pubs. It's about as egalitarian as you can get in a capitalist society. That's why they can work to live. They don't have to constantly strive to maintain "face".

Wonder what kind of Angmoh stock OZ and NZ are that makes them so "egalitarianly" capitalist? :rolleyes:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think it helps alot if people are not packed into small confined places like a pigeon hole...

those who are spread apart...seems to be more normal than those who are packed like sardines...:biggrin:

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal

In Australia for example, most people knock off on the dot

how to knock off on the dot, whole day serf Sammyboy forum work never clear:biggrin:

Y

Yoda.

mmmm...

pathetic are humans.

"face" is what they care about.

on the darkside of the force they are.

L

Luke Skywalker

mmmm...

pathetic are humans.

"face" is what they care about.

on the darkside of the force they are.

Master Yoda, can you please shut the fuck up, stop wasting your time in this forum and complete my training?