• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Defending your country? Then pay for your own insurance

jeremyyau555

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been serving our national service faithfully.

Throughout my service with SAF, I have kept our country safe, assisted my commander and senior officers in writing reports, managed the staff suggestion scheme, came up with newsletter for fellow national servicemen.

I have also endeavoured to pass my physical fitness test (IPPT) with a Silver award almost every year.

However, before I take a final bow from my national service duty, there is one burning question my troop mates and myself have been left wondering – why do we need to pay for our own insurance when we are in fact taking time from our work and family to risk our lives for our country?

Terms of insurance coverage

Last year I received a letter saying that with effect from 1 April 2008 NSmen will be automatically covered under the Group Personal Accident Insurance Scheme.

This insurance scheme only covers reservist personnel like myself and not full-time national servicemen

So, unless we choose to opt out, the premiums are deducted from our make-up pay or service allowance.

Most of us have left it as it is as we are just too unaware of its implications or too busy with our duties to even question it.

The insurance is underwritten by American Home Assurance Company Singapore (AIG) and managed by Zuellig Insurance Singapore.

National servicemen are covered during their In-Camp Training (ICT) and pre-ICT assessment, mobilisation, IPPT and remedial test, course and other NS activities where the Order to Report for Service has been served.

The sum is not a lot, amounting to $4.85 (inclusive of GST).

The insurance provides coverage of up to 30 days of call-up per work year.

It covers each individual a sum assured of $100, 000 in the event of death and a scale of benefits of up to $150, 000 for permanent disablement arising from an accident.

In addition, there are other benefits, such as claims for accidental partial disability and child education lump sum benefit.

Insurance experts agree that the insurance coverage national servicemen are getting is a good deal.

“If you compare this with a normal personal accident plan, for the same risk level, it costs $360 with $50, 000 sum assured in the event of accidental death and total and permanent disablement. As the insurance for national servicemen covers higher risks, it is value-for-money,” says Hakim Halim, a financial advisor with Promiseland Independent Pte Ltd.

Cost is not the issue

However, the cost and coverage of the insurance is not the issue.

The issue is, despite our service to our country where we constantly have to put our life at risk, the government still makes us pay for our own insurance coverage.

Even the companies that we work for do pay for our insurance in the event any accident happens to us during our course of employment.

So, on behalf of my troop mates, I wrote an email to SAF early this year, asking them to explain why we have to foot the bill.

It is almost the end of the year and they have yet to reply to our query.

Our political leaders have always questioned if Singaporeans would defend the country in times of war.

However, the government’s penny-pinching attitude will only sow the seeds of apathy and discord among existing national service men who have continued putting their lives at risk.

Should future generations feel less than patriotic, the government have only themselves to be blamed for their “money-as a-means-to-an-end” approach.

If the government can allocate $10 million of taxpayers’ money to make permanent residents feel more welcomed and foot the bill to host APEC, surely paying the insurance cost for national servicemen is not too much to ask for, right?

After all, we have paid our dues by helping to keep the country safe and secure.

Despite our grievances, we are grateful to our senior officers who took time to sit down to listen to the sentiments among national servicemen.

In the meantime, we are waiting with bated breath for SAF official reply.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was in my BMT Tan Kin Liang of NTUC Income, then a Manager, goes to all BMT units to sell insurance to all recruits and he seems to have the exclusive rights. Specials nights were arranged for him to talk to the recruits and insurance policy were sold there and then.
It was a Golden Period for him.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
This writer clearly does not understand the truth.

This is NOT his country.

It is Familee's country.

As a peasant, his job is to defend his King's country, and if peasant is injured, that is peasant's problem. He should feel proud that his King even asks him to defend the country.

For King and Country! For FamiLEE and LEEgapore!

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
This writer clearly does not understand the truth.

This is NOT his country.

It is Familee's country.

As a peasant, his job is to defend his King's country, and if peasant is injured, that is peasant's problem. He should feel proud that his King even asks him to defend the country.

For King and Country! For FamiLEE and LEEgapore!

During my primary school every child were told a story - A young soldier was ordered to bomb a house in the valley which he dutifully did but he broke down and cried after the house was demolished. When questioned he revealed that the house belongs to his family and his parents were in it.The soldier was then proclaimed a great hero for his sacrifices.

Do you know the moral of the story? There isn't any, just the immoral agenda behind telling this story to impressionable kids then.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
:biggrin:
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaCHn5O5C9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaCHn5O5C9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno about you but they are willing to pay you 100k for just a few bucks premium? I really think it is a good deal!

About serving a 'country' run by pay and pay, I am surprised you are a 'singaporan'!!

TRWatch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pay our own insurance to cover for our national service liability? This is really too much.:mad: