• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
somewhere in 70s i think

A&W came after MacDonald's, the first McD was opened at Liat Towers & stayed there till Tri-Con, bought the building & Burger King took over..now its Wendy's right? the first "ponded" hamburger restaurant in SINgapore, don't believe ask Abang Yakult.

I miss A&W for their coney dog...every Tuesday, they would have a CONEY DOG special, I would walk from where I work just to eat one, & washes it down with a mug of frothy root beer..it was frothy back then. There were some Tuesdays I would miss it..but when it is Tuesday, I make my way there. There, was Funan Centre, that was before it was called Funan whatever mall...

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I miss A&W for their coney dog...every Tuesday, they would have a CONEY DOG special, I would walk from where I work just to eat one, & washes it down with a mug of frothy root beer..it was frothy back then. There were some Tuesdays I would miss it..but when it is Tuesday, I make my way there. There, was Funan Centre, that was before it was called Funan whatever mall...

Yeah, those were good times. Fortunately I can get my fix of A&W across the causeway, plenty of outlets there.

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
A&W came after MacDonald's ..........

A&W has been around for a long time, way before McDonald's. In the 1970's there was one branch at Robinson Road, diagonally opposite the old Sin Chew Jit Poh office. There was another along the big longkang at Bukit Timah Road.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A & W came here before macD.
First outlet was dunearn road over the longkang.
Coney dog, root beer and float.
Later came curly fries....also good.
Things started going downhill where they started selling fried chicken and pizza.
It went to the dogs when nasi lemak came into the menu.
Like many later had to get my fix across the causeway in JB.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Methinks A&W at Bukit Timah was over the canal. It started as mainly a drive-in, so it must have been there before the car population controls kicked in and when labour was relatively cheap (drive-ins need to be served). It was a bit of an icon because many Hongkong made shot-in-Singapore movies featured it.

I spent quite a few nice late evenings there in the early 1980s.

A&W has been around for a long time, way before McDonald's. In the 1970's there was one branch at Robinson Road, diagonally opposite the old Sin Chew Jit Poh office. There was another along the big longkang at Bukit Timah Road.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I thought MacD came first, did they?? Mac Cullum Street. The one at B Timah is opposite where the old University of Singapore was, it was a drive-in, was it the first drive in for fast food. We used to drive our father's car there to eat late at night, without a driving license..brave!

The next one I remember would be at Upper Thomson, where Long House Food Centre is now, outside Taman Permata next to the shell petrol station, left hand side Tat Lee Bank, now OCBC. It was a 24 hr joint, was that also the first 24hr fast food restaurant. Where else..Funan Cantre, & in Hougang where it was once called street 21 HDB centre, before it became heartland mall.

I think they had one in Tamn Jurong? Why they pulled out of SINgapore?? yes, you can find them in Malaysia, the last time I had food at A&W was at Menara KLCC in Kuala Lumpur.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not 1st time A&W has made the buzz here (not in same thread either). Guess it was a piece of our tapestry while back. Iconic drive-in makan, and it was a only a treat for us there then.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bali Coffee house Outram HDB shop house lunch $3.30, attractive girls, Jenny, Margaret, Carol!!! we missed u!
Fitzpatrick DiAtas Orchard Rd now Tong Bldg coffee house lunch $3.50

Bukit Timah 7 milestone ice chang 10cents, buboh cha cha 10cents, kway teow soup 20cents.

Rex theatre back lance, chengdol 5cents 3/4 cup, 10 cents full cup, Mee siam 50 cents!
mee goreng 50 cents, Indian rojak best in the world one big packet $2.50 to $3.00.

Best Prawn noodle with chilli powder on the table near Joo Chiat area.

Bugis Street or Rochor Rd end Hilam satay 5cents per stick gravy with pineapple
really best in the world!!

Rojak Bundung Indian man came from ACS area to Trevose Crescent where I stayed on
Tricycle, ingredient cuttle fish, kangkong, tofu and fantastic gravy 20 cents!!!

Mee rebus 20 cents, mee goreng on tricycle 40cents, kamping soup bee hoon 50cents!

Our children today missed all these good stuff at very affordable prices, today you pay alot
and get alot less!!

Boss, We cud have been neighbours at Trevose Crescent.

Were you living on the higher ground or lower slope?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A & W came here before macD.
First outlet was dunearn road over the longkang.
Coney dog, root beer and float.
Later came curly fries....also good.
Things started going downhill where they started selling fried chicken and pizza.
It went to the dogs when nasi lemak came into the menu.
Like many later had to get my fix across the causeway in JB.

Talking about floats, my favorite till this day, the 7up, Coca Cola floats, plus the lemon sherbet at Magnolia Snack Bar, Capitol cineme annexe..hmmm plus their fish & chips...

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Circa late 60's, the ganja pusher at the Singer showeoom. $1 a kartoo. We used to hang out at the sarabat shop in the backlane parallel to Owen Rd, which the famed Teochew muay stall occupy ater the demise of the sarabat stall. The lau chiaos, the first hippies in Singapore, taught us how to roll the joints - preparing the 'grass', flattening the BD leaf with a comb on the thigh and so on.We would then proceed to a spot in Farrer Park, smoked and enjoy the cloud formations, giggled at nothing and other áctivities'.

Those were the early days and there were no concerted police actions against drug abuse. I remember I took off my pants inside State Cinema during a screening of Let It Be. Haha.

Quite a number of that group later went down the slippery path of 'M, then MX, 'blank', opium, morphine, heroin and finally St. John's. Sad.

Those were the days my friend.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A&W definitely came first. I mean even before Mac (1979) I already had hamburgers from A&W and my favourite is next to Cathay on Selegie Road eat Papa Burger and after that go see fishes in Red Sea Aquarium then after that go watch movie in Cathay. :p Those were the days my friend.

[video=youtube;2KODZtjOIPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg[/video]

subak

I came across this blog as I was researching for a book on the Parsi community here in Singapore.

I must say it was such interesting anecdotes about Framroze and Phoenix and it would be great if you would be willing to share them for the book.

Please do let me know if I can be in touch for information and details. My email is [email protected]

Thanks!

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wahlaneh! Someone better tap his knowledge asap. Alternatively, let's encourage him to write a book - The Singapore We Never Read About?
Maybe I should jio him to go on sabbatical to jointly author something for the nation. With Charlie in Toronto and Niagara Falls not too far away, location should provide us the inspiration eh? In Charlie, we trust.Charlie, how are you.

Charlie, how are you. I have prepared some stories which may interest you. I can send it to you for the book you mentioned. You can direct me on more stories please.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Greetings from Toronto.

How can I help you?

Rex cinema side lane chengdol by Hainanese man 10cts full cup 0.05cts 3/4 cup,
mee siam 50cts, mee goreng 50cts, mee rebus 20cts. There was an Indian man from Bakar Rd on a tricycle he sells rojak Bundung cuttle fish, tau kau, kang kong for 30cts!! Hainanese oldman on tricycle sells laksa from a hugh clay pod..

Beauty World Buboh cha cha 10cts, Mai Ji Hiang Rojak $1.00 those days considered very expensive, but his rojak taste really fantastic can't find this
kind of taste today!! Fish ball noodle 30cts taste damn good by the road side!

Waterloo street road side Indian rojak one of the best, can't find a good comparison today!!! Beach Road satay by the road side one of the Best!!

Elizebeth walk chengdol also very nice & tasty slightly more expensive those days..Cuppage rd car park hawker food by the car park a lot of motor bikers would stop by have their food there..young couple would take their girl friend have food there after a show!!

Wow really missed those early days fanfare!!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mee siam 50cts, mee goreng 50cts, mee rebus 20cts. There was an Indian man from Bakar Rd on a tricycle he sells rojak Bundung cuttle fish, tau kau, kang kong for 30cts!! Hainanese oldman on tricycle sells laksa from a hugh clay pod..

Beauty World Buboh cha cha 10cts, Mai Ji Hiang Rojak $1.00 those days considered very expensive, but his rojak taste really fantastic can't find this
kind of taste today!! Fish ball noodle 30cts taste damn good by the road side!

Waterloo street road side Indian rojak one of the best, can't find a good comparison today!!! Beach Road satay by the road side one of the Best!!

Elizebeth walk chengdol also very nice & tasty slightly more expensive those days..Cuppage rd car park hawker food by the car park a lot of motor bikers would stop by have their food there..young couple would take their girl friend have food there after a show!!

Wow really missed those early days fanfare!!

Those were the days, my friend.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

At the Rex side lane, I remember the 1st stall on the Bukit Timah side was selling chendol for 10 cts a glass. Would often stop there as it was where I would pass to catch a bus home from school. Sometimes would stop at the indian shop on the other side which was adjacent to the Rex car park to have a drink of bandung.

FangSinGuek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nostalgia starts here...

1) A&W...Ponderosa...Randy's

2) the cigarette prices and the ability to smoke in a pub/discos

3) the old geylang pricing...S$ 40

4) 7-Eleven Softee Float

5) bubble gum...maybe

6) Masters of the Sea / Asia Bagus

7) no ERP

8) Malaysia Cup days