• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Bukit Batok needs a by-election?

D

Democracy

Dear Editor,

We extend our condolences to the family of the late Dr. Ong Chit Chung. He has served his constituency of Bukit Batok diligently and with honor.

However the untimely demise of Dr. Ong has left a vacuum in the office of the MP of Bukit Batok-one that his successor will find difficult to fill.

Like Dr. Ong, the next MP of Bukit Batok must have the mandate of the constituents or else his or her work would lack legitimacy. Legitimacy is absolutely crucial in a challenging economic climate where tough but necessary decisions need be taken even at the ward level. An elected MP’s moral authority would more likely than not help him shepherd his residents through the stormy days ahead. An unelected political appointee would have to answer residents who say, “ Why must I listen to you? Did I elect you?”

To leave the seat vacant and to share Dr. Ong’s present responsibilities amongst the neighboring PAP MP’s would also be a mistake. It belittles Dr. Ong’s hard work and sends the unintended message that his work is not important and that life carries on even without an MP at Bukit Batok!

For the sake of the residents of Bukit Batok, a by-election should be held soon!

Dr.Huang Shoou Chyuan

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There will be no by election becos B.Batok is a GRC. If the seat is SMC then there will be by election. That why we have GRC make opposition harder to win.
There are few funny about Singapore parliment. DO we need 84 MP, it is too much. 84MP in tiny island that only have 4 million citizen. In Malaysia they only have 222MP with 30million population and India 575MP with 1.2billion population.
Singapore have highest number of MP ratio to population and ratio to land area. Have highest pay salary minister. Should reduce the parliment seat to 51 seat max. at most and take away GRC.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are few funny about Singapore parliment. DO we need 84 MP, it is too much. 84MP in tiny island that only have 4 million citizen. In Malaysia they only have 222MP with 30million population and India 575MP with 1.2billion population.
Singapore have highest number of MP ratio to population and ratio to land area. Have highest pay salary minister. Should reduce the parliment seat to 51 seat max. at most and take away GRC.

Good point. This should be an issue for the opposition to raise.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually I've got a question:

now that with a MP passed away, his job & responsibilities will be shared by the remaining MPs, meaning no by-election needed. Which means to say, the total workload previously shouldered by 5 MPs can actually be shouldered by 4 MPs? Which means to say, all the 5-member GRCs are actually not working as efficiently as it should be? Then, why do we have 5 or 6 MP GRCs?

If the workload is too heavy for 4 MPs and actually neeed 5 MPs, does that mean not having by-election will severely hamper the remaining MPs capabilities to serve the residents? Does that mean residents in the respective constituency can expect slower services / requests? Is it then unfair if no by-election is held as the residents is then deprived of proper service of the MP?

Lastly, are the 4 MPs going to share the pay previously paid to Dr Ong now that they are taking on extra duties?

No disrespect for Dr Ong but by not holding a by election and justifying that with the law is a bit unconvincing. Why not have a by-election and let the people decide. For all you know, maybe the residents there will vote in another PAP member?

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
It would be interesting to even have that ward carved out from the GRC for a by-election :biggrin:. I for one would like to see how the voting goes but too bad that is never going to happen. :(

jerry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which means to say, the total workload previously shouldered by 5 MPs can actually be shouldered by 4 MPs? Which means to say, all the 5-member GRCs are actually not working as efficiently as it should be? Then, why do we have 5 or 6 MP GRCs?

If the workload is too heavy for 4 MPs and actually neeed 5 MPs, does that mean not having by-election will severely hamper the remaining MPs capabilities to serve the residents? Does that mean residents in the respective constituency can expect slower services / requests? Is it then unfair if no by-election is held as the residents is then deprived of proper service of the MP?

That's a very good point. You should write in to ST forum. It is a legitimate question so I don't think they will refuse it.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know OCC at all as he is not the minister in my ward. But refusal to hold an by election and having 4 other ministers to take over his job shows that OCC is a Jiak Liao Bee!

PM Lee should give OCC some credit and integrity by granting a by election. By holding on to the power and hiding among amended laws only protray that PM Lee is a coward and a weakling(isn't it obvious?). Furthermore, it only proves the fact that the ministers are expendable in the quest to retain power for the PAP and their empire.

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee should give OCC some credit and integrity by granting a by election. By holding on to the power and hiding among amended laws only protray that PM Lee is a coward and a weakling(isn't it obvious?). Furthermore, it only proves the fact that the ministers are expendable in the quest to retain power for the PAP and their empire.

I suppose JBJ is right. The goverment should hold a by-election for Bukit Batok asap (no need for whole GRC)

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holding a BE for BB would mean that the entire GRC would be "affected".Don't think this will happen as the bye-laws governing GRCs would not allow its dissolution just like tat:(

Looking forward to more voices from the Opposition and the arguement put forth to justify the BE...or will there ever will be one:eek::biggrin:

wallace

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holding a BE for BB would mean that the entire GRC would be "affected".Don't think this will happen as the bye-laws governing GRCs would not allow its dissolution just like tat:(

Looking forward to more voices from the Opposition and the arguement put forth to justify the BE...or will there ever will be one:eek::biggrin:

If you read JBJ statement, he said government could carve out BB to hold a byelection just for BB and not the whole GRC. He said this has been done before as in the case of MacPherson for an opposition to contest.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
He said this has been done before as in the case of MacPherson for an opposition to contest.

Yes...I remember that Macpherson was delinked from MP GRC to a single member ward previously, prior to the either 2001 or the last election, for CSJ to contest and he lost to the incumbet Mathaias Y. If BB were to have one now, then the current GRC would have to be dissolved too and its electorial boundaries re-drawn, which I dont think will be possible:(

american

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes...I remember that Macpherson was delinked from MP GRC to a single member ward previously, prior to the either 2001 or the last election, for CSJ to contest and he lost to the incumbet Mathaias Y.
If BB were to have one now, then the current GRC would have to be dissolved too and its electorial boundaries re-drawn, which I dont think will be possible:(

If they can do it [crave Macpherson into a single constituency], why can't they do it now with Bukit Batok? :confused:

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be no by election becos B.Batok is a GRC. If the seat is SMC then there will be by election. That why we have GRC make opposition harder to win.
Ploy by PAP to retain power. The bigger the number in parliament, the harder it is to have freak result.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
This old thread was about 10 years ago and it’s still worth reading on the political situation back then in the Sinkieland :smile: