• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should Singapore have mandatory new citizen tests?

ajikage

In many developed countries like Australia, USA, etc.

for people to apply for even PR, they need to take certain tests such as English proficiency tests.

should singapore do the same?

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes of coz, qn like

where the best bester and bestest char kway teow
where the cheapest and bestest lup sup ktv
in orchard on weekend which is cheapest parking...

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

for people to apply for even PR, they need to take certain tests such as English proficiency tests.

Such test doesnt prove anything. What is important is whether the person is really willing to stay here and contribute to society. A stupid written test will not prove anything and its a freaking waste of time, human resource and more importantly, taxpayer's money. And why do PR's have to go through English proficiency test, our national languages are English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil. A few of my uncles/aunts cant speak English. Does that make them any less Singaporean?

BTW I was in Australia when they started the Aussie test and most of my Aussie Colleagues thought it was a stupid idea. Mainly because things there were asking in the tests were stupid questions

Instead of implementing stupid and useless stuff like that and chasing potential nation builders away, we should be punishing pple who quit the nation. I say we confiscate the CPF of anyone who fled the country and distribute it to the poor

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such test doesnt prove anything. What is important is whether the person is really willing to stay here and contribute to society. A stupid written test will not prove anything and its a freaking waste of time, human resource and more importantly, taxpayer's money. And why do PR's have to go through English proficiency test, our national languages are English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil. A few of my uncles/aunts cant speak English. Does that make them any less Singaporean?

BTW I was in Australia when they started the Aussie test and most of my Aussie Colleagues thought it was a stupid idea. Mainly because things there were asking in the tests were stupid questions

Instead of implementing stupid and useless stuff like that and chasing potential nation builders away, we should be punishing pple who quit the nation. I say we confiscate the CPF of anyone who fled the country and distribute it to the poor

Wah you can join PAP oredy.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, we should, since we are aiming for 6.5 million, might as well begin to improve the gene, talent and moral pool. We have to weed out spies and saboteurs who may lay dormant in Singapore for years to do Singapore harm.

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes! They must take test to demonstrate their Kiasu, Kiasee and knowledge in poring zhen fu lampar.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore no need lah! As long as you know how to say PAP is vely good, not corrupt and efficient, ok oredi & can pass for citizenship.

aakumu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro,
Yes yes yes, why not they and even those who are born here have to take mandatory new citizen tests.

My humble two cents.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah you can join PAP oredy.

Why'd I want to join the PAP. I have nothing against PAP non do I support them.

My stand is simple, I don't mind FTs coming in as long as they are generally here to stay put and contribute to the nation. If they are only here for the money, then we whack them where it hurts the most, the money!!!! Taking some stupid test doesn't prove anything. Its a freaking waste of time and a freaking waste of taxpayers money.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..developed countries like Australia, USA, etc.
Difference there is language (english) is more "homogenous" unlike here. Can you imagine singlish test?:p:biggrin:

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
punished those who leave the country? take their CPF? i dun think it is wise to do it...

I never said it was wise. I'm just in it coz its going to benefit me if some bozo skip the country and the money goes back into national coffers to help the poor.

Think about it, what is most of your complains against FTs. They're here to steal your jobs, their here only for the money, they're using SG only as a springboard to another country.

Assuming its for the last 2 reasons, well the confiscating of CPF is seriously going to put a stop to some of their plans

I also want to see the 14% that the employers are contributing to CPF for FTs be taking away. Instead of giving the money to FTs, employers should still be giving that 15% but the returns the government gets will be used to offer tax rebates to the citizen. In return the FTs don't need to contribute to CPF. Win - Win situation for all of us. FTs get more take home money, company still pays the same amount so it doesnt affect them. The extra money goes back to us by making us pay less taxes.

blackreplica

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes of coz, qn like

where the best bester and bestest char kway teow
where the cheapest and bestest lup sup ktv
in orchard on weekend which is cheapest parking...

hahahahahaaa i am 100% singaporean born and raised but i think i would fail such a test

For question 1 i think its hill street char kway teow?
Question 2 i confirm dunno
question 3 i also not sure. all are expensive. last time used to be the PUB building behind somerset mrt. Now not sure liao

Wonder what kind of other questions we singaporeans could come up with to test whether a fella is really able to be singaporean or not

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never said it was wise. I'm just in it coz its going to benefit me if some bozo skip the country and the money goes back into national coffers to help the poor.

Think about it, what is most of your complains against FTs. They're here to steal your jobs, their here only for the money, they're using SG only as a springboard to another country.

Assuming its for the last 2 reasons, well the confiscating of CPF is seriously going to put a stop to some of their plans

I also want to see the 14% that the employers are contributing to CPF for FTs be taking away. Instead of giving the money to FTs, employers should still be giving that 15% but the returns the government gets will be used to offer tax rebates to the citizen. In return the FTs don't need to contribute to CPF. Win - Win situation for all of us. FTs get more take home money, company still pays the same amount so it doesnt affect them. The extra money goes back to us by making us pay less taxes.

Not all FTs here are economic mercenaries. And our attititude towards them also affects how they would plan their future. If nobody seems to be able to accept them after so many years in Singapore, do you think they would stay here after making money? Similarly a touch of kindness can affect to sway the decision of the FT to dedicate his/her life to Spore.

I'm working with a Spore company and we are finding it hard to get good local staff to join the company. The day the advertisement was out, many of the FTs sent their resume while our fellow Sporeans trickle in 4-5 days later. And after being called up did not even attend interviews. We may call them FTrash but the attitude of Sporeans must similarly change. I believe that the affluence created by our forefathers has eroded the zeal amongst the young.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like i said, I don't mind FTs coming here as long as they contribute to the nation and according to my plans, the FTs are still being paid the same only less the 14% contribution from the Employer. If they want to get that extra money, then convert to citizen. Then again, the take home will be reduced by 20% coz of CPF. Its a matter of choice for them.

As for us citizen, we get the extra tax returns and excess goes to the poor. Win-Win situation. Obviously those who leaves the country should be classified as FTs, I don't see any wrong in revoking their CPF previlieges and distributing it to the rest of us.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
And why do PR's have to go through English proficiency test, our national languages are English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil.

Singapore's national language is Malay!!

A nation is built by its people and not by immigrants who use Singapore as a transit point.

Before punishing the "quitters", it would be better for the PAP govt to know why Singaporeans emigrate by thousands every year to other countries. Ideals like nation building, loyalty, patriotism, etc seem to be missing in the thinking of PAP's minority elite who are themselves showing symptoms of "quitters" in the not too distant future.

ajikage

Why so many countries use such testing methods is because they want their new migrants to assimilate into their countries.

Look at li jiawei for example. So many years in singapore but yet she always only speak in chinese and never english.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

How about English proficiency tests for existing citizens?:rolleyes:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
We need make baby test. I believe brudders here will gladly volunteer to help to do the tests for 1 cup of milo and 1 biscuit.