• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Pop Muzik" is a 1979 song by M, a project by English musician Robin Scott, from the debut album New York • London • Paris • Munich.
The single, first released in the UK in early 1979, was bolstered by a music video (directed by Brian Grant) that was well received by critics. The clip featured Scott as a DJ singing into a microphone from behind an exaggerated turntable setup, at times flanked by two female models who sang and danced in a robotic manner. The video also featured Brigit Novik, Scott's partner at the time, who provided the backup vocals for the track.
The single's B-side, "M Factor", was featured in two different versions. The original cut appeared on the first UK and European releases of the single, while a slightly remixed version appeared on the single released in the United States and Canada.
The song reached number one in more than seven countries and was one of the most popular singles of 1979.

M - Pop Muzik

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Blow Away" is a 1979 single by George Harrison, taken from his eponymous album.
The song is one of Harrison's most popular and beloved post-Apple singles, and also one of the simplest. Its uptempo pop sound fell far outside the dominant genres of the era: disco and punk. The end of "Blow Away", written on a rainy day (that's why first verses are about clouds), was included in Nuns on the Run – a comedy with Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane.
In his autobiography, I, Me, Mine, Harrison says that the song arose from feelings of frustration and inadequacy resulting from a leaking roof at his Friar Park home. While viewing the downpour from an outbuilding on the property, he realised that, in surrendering to the problem, he was merely exacerbating it. With this realisation, the episode served as a reminder that he, in fact, "loved everybody" and should seek to be more optimistic. Additionally, he notes that, while he initially felt self-conscious about the song, thinking it "so obvious", the track grew on him when he recorded it.
The video for "Blow Away" includes shots of Harrison miming to the song superimposed over footage of moving clouds and land, and in some instances, accompanied by large toys (a wind-up duck; sitting in a toy swan and on a dog). There are also instances of Harrison acting silly – breaking into a quick smirk as the camera closes in on the lyric "be happy", and doing a playful dance step.
"Blow Away" became one of Harrison's more popular songs among his fans. In 2010, AOL radio listeners chose the track as one of the "10 Best George Harrison Songs", appearing at number 2 on the list, behind "My Sweet Lord". "Blow Away" appears on the Harrison compilations Best of Dark Horse 1976–1989 (1989) and Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison (2009).

George Harrison - Blow Away

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Got My Mind Set on You" is a song written and composed by Rudy Clark and originally recorded by James Ray in 1962, under the title "I've Got My Mind Set on You". An edited version of the song was released later in the year as a single on the Dynamic Sound label. In 1987, George Harrison released a cover version of the song as a single, and released it on his album, Cloud Nine, which he had recorded on his own Dark Horse Records label.
Of Harrison's three number-one singles in the US, it was both the only song not written or composed by Harrison himself and the only one without religious overtones. It also was not only the last US number 1 hit by Harrison, but also from any of the ex-Beatles in the US. When the song hit number 1, it broke a three-way tie among Harrison, John Lennon, and Ringo Starr, all of whom had two number 1 hit singles as solo artists (discounting Paul McCartney's work with Wings). It also happened to be the number 1 single in the US the week immediately preceding the induction of The Beatles into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, making Harrison one of the few inductees to have an active single on the US record charts at the time of induction. Billboard ranked it as the No. 3 song for 1988.
The single's B-side is "Lay His Head", a remixed version of the unreleased song from Harrison's originally intended Somewhere in England album. The 12-inch version of the single also adds an extended version of "Got My Mind Set on You".
In the UK the single spent four weeks at number two. It was kept off the number 1 spot by T'Pau's "China in Your Hand".
The song was included in the Harrison compilation albums Best of Dark Horse 1976–1989 (1989) and Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison (2009).
A live version was recorded for his Live in Japan (1992) album.
In 2010, AOL radio listeners chose "Got My Mind Set on You" as one of the 10 Best George Harrison Songs, appearing at number 4 on the list.
Two music videos were released for the cover version.
The first, directed by Gary Weis, starred Alexis Denisof vying for the heart of a girl in an amusement arcade. It featured Harrison and the band inside of a movie viewer, while the young man tries to win a toy ballerina for the girl.
The second, which Weis also directed, depicts Harrison sitting and playing in a study. As the song progresses, furniture and knick-knacks (like a stuffed squirrel, sentient chainsaw, a statue and mounted stag and warthog) begin to dance along with the song. In the middle of the video, Harrison (through the use of a stunt double) performs a backflip from his chair and follows it with a dance routine before jumping back to his seat.
The second received significant airplay, and was nominated for three MTV VMAs

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"China in Your Hand" is a song by the British band T'Pau, released from their album Bridge of Spies. A re-recorded version was released as a single in October 1987, spending five weeks at number one in the UK and is arguably the song for which the group is best known in their native Britain, though their debut single "Heart and Soul" was a much bigger hit in the United States. "China in Your Hand" was the 600th single to top the UK charts and kept George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set on You" from hitting the top spot. In 2015 the song was voted by the British public as the nation's 11th favourite 1980s number one in a poll for ITV.
The song's lyrics refer to the novel Frankenstein and its author Mary Shelley. This is more readily heard on the longer album version of the song, as the re-recorded single edit omits most of the more obvious references to the book. The song's title was more unclear however and when quizzed, co-writer Ron Rogers was unsure of its source material. Lyric writer Carol Decker explained that it is the effect that if you hold a china cup to a light, you can see your hand through it – therefore 'china in your hand' means something that is transparent. In a segment on the BBC1's The One Show on 6 March 2014, Carol Decker explained that she had been holding a china tea cup belonging to Ronnie Rogers' mother in her hand while washing up and had felt a lump in the bottom. She held the cup to the light and saw an image of a young woman in the base of the cup. Decker had the cup with her and showed the viewers the image.
The song is in the key of B-Flat major on the original album version, but the radio edit version is slightly sped up to reduce its length, resulting in the tuning being midway between B-Flat and B Major.

T'Pau - China In Your Hand

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"China in Your Hand" is a song by the British band T'Pau, released from their album Bridge of Spies. A re-recorded version was released as a single in October 1987, spending five weeks at number one in the UK and is arguably the song for which the group is best known in their native Britain, though their debut single "Heart and Soul" was a much bigger hit in the United States. "China in Your Hand" was the 600th single to top the UK charts and kept George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set on You" from hitting the top spot. In 2015 the song was voted by the British public as the nation's 11th favourite 1980s number one in a poll for ITV.
The song's lyrics refer to the novel Frankenstein and its author Mary Shelley. This is more readily heard on the longer album version of the song, as the re-recorded single edit omits most of the more obvious references to the book. The song's title was more unclear however and when quizzed, co-writer Ron Rogers was unsure of its source material. Lyric writer Carol Decker explained that it is the effect that if you hold a china cup to a light, you can see your hand through it – therefore 'china in your hand' means something that is transparent. In a segment on the BBC1's The One Show on 6 March 2014, Carol Decker explained that she had been holding a china tea cup belonging to Ronnie Rogers' mother in her hand while washing up and had felt a lump in the bottom. She held the cup to the light and saw an image of a young woman in the base of the cup. Decker had the cup with her and showed the viewers the image.
The song is in the key of B-Flat major on the original album version, but the radio edit version is slightly sped up to reduce its length, resulting in the tuning being midway between B-Flat and B Major.

T'Pau - China In Your Hand

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Everything I Own" is a song written by David Gates. It was originally recorded by Gates's rock band Bread for their 1972 album Baby I'm-a Want You.
Although initial listeners may have interpreted it as a song about a broken relationship, Gates would later reveal that it was a song about the passing of his father. "According to the book 1000 UK #1 Hits by Jon Kutner and Spencer Leigh, at his father's funeral, a friend took David Gates aside and said, "Your dad was so proud of what you were doing." David agreed by replying, "My success would have been so special to him as he was my greatest influence. So I decided to write and record "Everything I Own" about him. If you listen to the words, 'You sheltered me from harm, kept me warm, gave my life to me, set me free,' it says it all.”
The original hit number five on the American Billboard Hot 100. Billboard ranked it as the No. 52 song for 1972. "Everything I Own" also reached number five in Canada.

David Gates - Everything I own

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lost Without Your Love is the sixth and final studio album by Bread, released in 1977. The title track of this LP became the group's sixth and final Top 10 hit, reaching number nine on the US Billboard Hot 100 in February 1977. "Hooked on You," the follow-up single, subsequently reached number 60.

Bread - Lost Without Your Love

Lost and all alone.
I always thought that I could make it on my own.
But since you left I hardly make it thought the day.
My tears get in the way, and I need you back to stay.
I wonder through the night
Search the world for the words to make it right.
All I want is the way it used to be
With you here holding me.
I've got to make you see,
That I'm lost with out your love.
Life without you isn't worth the trouble of.
I'm as helpless as a ship without a wind,
A touch without a feel
I can't believe its real
And someday I'll wake and find my heart won't have to break.
Yes, I'm lost with out your love.
Life without you isn't worth the trouble of.
All I want is the way it used to be
I need you here with me.
Oh darling can't you see,
If we had love before we can have it back once more

Songwriters: David Gates
Lost Without Your Love lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, David Gates D/B/A Kipahulu Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Solitaire" is a ballad written by Neil Sedaka and Phil Cody. Cody employs playing the card game of solitaire as a metaphor for a man "who lost his love through his indifference"—"while life goes on around him everywhere he's playing solitaire". The song is best known via its rendition by the Carpenters.
Neil Sedaka recorded "Solitaire" as the title cut for a 1972 album recorded at Strawberry Studios, Stockport, England: 10cc members Lol Creme, Kevin Godley and Graham Gouldman accompanied Sedaka while Eric Stewart also of 10cc engineered the session. Appearing on 1972 album releases by both Tony Christie and Petula Clark, "Solitaire" had its first evident single release in February 1973 as recorded by the Searchers; however it was an autumn 1973 single by Andy Williams which would reach number 4 in the UK and afford Williams a number 1 hit in South Africa. The title cut from an album produced by Richard Perry, Williams' "Solitaire" also became a US Easy Listening hit at number 23. In 1974 Neil Sedaka's 1972 recording of "Solitaire" was included on his comeback album Sedaka's Back. Later in 1975, a live-in-concert version recorded by Sedaka at the Royal Festival Hall was issued as the B-side of The Queen of 1964. This is the version of "Solitaire" that was released as part of Razor & Tie's 2007 Definitive Collection album.
The Carpenters recorded "Solitaire" for the 1975 Horizon album; Richard Carpenter, familiar with the song via the versions by Neil Sedaka and Andy Williams, was "not crazy" about the song but felt it would showcase Karen Carpenter's vocal expertise and Richard Carpenter would assess Karen Carpenter's performance on "Solitaire" as "one of [her] greatest" adding "she never liked the song [and]...she never changed her opinion."

Carpenters - Solitaire

Carpenters – Solitaire

There was a man, a lonely man
Who lost his love through his indifference
A heart that cared, that went unchecked
Until it died in his silence

And solitaire's the only game in town
And every road that takes him, takes him down
And by himself, it's easy to pretend
He'll never love again

And keeping to himself he plays the game
Without her love it always ends the same
While life goes on around him everywhere
He's playing solitaire

Another day, a lonely day
So much to say that goes unspoken
And through the night, his sleepless nights
His eyes are closed, his heart is broken

And solitaire's the only game in town
And every road that takes him, takes him down
And by himself it's easy to pretend
She's coming back again

He's playing solitaire

A little hope, goes up in smoke
Just how it goes, goes without saying
Solitaire
And by himself it's easy to pretend
He'll never love again
Ohhh

He's playing solitaire
Solitaire, solitaire

Songwriters: SEDAKA, NEIL / CODY, PHIL
Solitaire lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" is a song written by composers Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin. It was originally recorded in 1984 by American singer and guitarist George Benson, and released in 1985 on his studio album 20/20, by Warner Bros. Records. This original version was produced by its own author Michael Masser, and was released as a single only in Germany in 1985. The song was not released as a single in the United States, but nevertheless, Benson recorded two video clips for the song in the U.S. the same year, which were displayed on television programs. Two years later, the song became even more well known for a version by Hawaiian singer Glenn Medeiros, whose 1987 cover eventually topped the charts in several countries.
The original version of "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" by George Benson has two video clips recorded by him in 1985 in the United States:
The first video clip shows a field where are Benson, a woman, a chauffeur, a car and an airplane. The video suggests that the coachman brought Benson with a woman in a car to this field and that one of them is about to board a plane, which is already connected with their propellers. Benson and women are side by side throughout the video, and he remains touching she with the right hand. When the song starts, Benson sings looking at the camera and looking at the woman alternately. The chauffeur who brought the two car appears throughout the video a little behind the two and looking for them. At the beginning and end of the video, Benson and the woman kiss.
In the second video clip, Benson sings "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" on a small stage lit by purple lights and whose backdrop shows large buildings with bright windows. Without looking at the camera, Benson sings showing his feelings through gestures with his hands and face, walking on the small stage. Several cameras film Benson from different angles of the stage, but he sings without looking at them. At the end, Benson is darkened, but the purple lights on stage remain.
A 1987 cover version by American singer Glenn Medeiros reached Number 12 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and topped the charts in Canada and the United Kingdom. It also topped the charts in a further four countries in Europe. Medeiros also recorded the song in Spanish under the title Nada cambiará mi amor por ti.
Medeiros originally released the song on a small independent label at the age of 16, after winning a local radio talent contest in Hawaii. A visiting radio executive from KZZP in Phoenix, Arizona heard the song and took the record back to Phoenix, where, through word of mouth, it became a national hit.
In 2009, the song was used in France in a television advert for Spontex sponges. The song was additionally used in a commercial for Thinkbox in the UK in 2015. During the same year the song was used in an episode of British soap opera Coronation Street, where characters Beth Tinker and Kirk Sutherland got married.
The music video features Medeiros strolling around a beach with a girl in a pink dress.

George Benson - Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Superwoman" is the second single from R&B singer Karyn White's self-titled debut album, Karyn White (1988). It was her second U.S. top ten hit, peaking at number eight and her second U.S. R&B number-one hit.

Karyn White - Superwoman

Early in the morning I put breakfast at your table
And make sure that your coffee has its sugar and cream
Your eggs are over easy, your toast done lightly
All that's missing is your morning kiss
That use to greet me.

Now you say the juice is sour
It used to be so sweet
And I can't help but to wonder
If you're talking 'bout me.

We don't talk the way we used to talk
It's hurting so deep
I've got my pride
I will not cry
But it's making me weak.

I'm not your Superwoman
I'm not the kind of girl that you can let down
And think that everything's okay
Boy, I am only human
This girl needs more than occasional hugs
As a token of love from you to me.

Ooh, baby...

I fought my way through the rush hour
Trying to make it home just for you
I want to make sure that your dinner will be waiting for you
But when you get there you just tell me
You're not hungry at all
You said you'd rather read the paper
And you don't want to talk

You'd like to think I'm just crazy
When I say that you've changed
I'm convinced I know the problem
You don't love me the same
You're just going through the motions
And you're not being fair
I've got my pride
I will not cry
Still I can't help but care.

I'm not your Superwoman
Boy, I am only human

I'm not your Superwoman
Boy, I am only human

Ooh baby, look into the corners of your mind
I'll always be there for you
Through good and bad times
But I can't be that Superwoman that you want me to be
I'll give my love, oh lasting love
If you'll return love to me

I'm not your Superwoman
Boy, I am only human

Ah ha, If you feel it in your heart
And you understand me
Stop right where you are
Everybody sing along with me!

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh!
Ooh, ooh, ooh, oooooooooooooh!

I'm the kind of girl that can treat you so sweet
But you've got to realize that you've got to be sweeter to me, yeah
I need love
I need just your love

I'm not your Superwoman
Boy, I am only human

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"One Night in Bangkok" is a song from the concept album and subsequent musical Chess by Tim Rice, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus. It was originally rapped by the British actor and singer Murray Head (verses) and sung by the Swedish singer and songwriter Anders Glenmark (choruses).

Murray Head - One night in Bangkok

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Feel the Earth Move" is a song written and recorded by pop singer-songwriter Carole King, which first appeared on her album Tapestry; additionally, the song is one half of the double A-sided single, the flip side which was "It's Too Late". Together, both "I Feel the Earth Move" and "It's Too Late" became among the biggest mainstream pop hits of 1971.

A showcase for King's upbeat piano style, "I Feel the Earth Move" has lyrics with the same percussive feel:

I feel the earth - move - under my feet
I feel the sky tum-b-ling down - tum-b-ling down
I feel my heart start to trem-b-ling -
Whenever you're around

Released in summer 1989, "I Feel the Earth Move" was the third single from Martika's self-titled debut, Martika. "I Feel the Earth Move" reached number 7 in the UK and number 2 in Australia. The high energy music video was shot during the promotional tour for this album. The single also reached number 25 on the pop charts in the U.S., but quickly fell down the chart after radio stations pulled it from their playlists in the wake of the 1989 San Francisco earthquake.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clout was an original all-female South African rock group formed in 1977, best known for their hit single, "Substitute".
Clout's first and biggest hit, "Substitute", was a new arrangement of a The Righteous Brothers song, composed by Willie Wilson. In 1978, their version reached No. 1 in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Austria, Denmark and Belgium. It also reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart and remained in the UK charts for 15 weeks. Due to sanctions against South African artists and performers by UK's Equity at the time, the BBC's Top of the Pops TV programme acquired a video clip from the Netherlands to present the hit song for its top ten countdown.

Clout - Substitute

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Luka" is a song written and recorded by Suzanne Vega, released as a single in 1987. It remains her highest-charting hit in the United States, reaching No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. "Luka" earned Vega nominations at the 1988 Grammy Awards, including Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
Vega also recorded a Spanish-language version of the song, featured on the single.
The song deals with the issue of child abuse. On a 1987 Swedish television special, Vega revealed her inspiration for writing it:
A few years ago, I used to see this group of children playing in front of my building, and there was one of them, whose name was Luka, who seemed a little bit distinctive from the other children. I always remembered his name, and I always remembered his face, and I didn't know much about him, but he just seemed set apart from these other children that I would see playing. And his character is what I based the song Luka on. In the song, the boy Luka is an abused child—in real life I don't think he was. I think he was just different.
This video was directed by Michael Patterson and Candice Reckinge. It was shot over three days, in New York City. The part of Luka was played by actor Jason Cerbone, who was chosen after the directors auditioned more than 90 children for the part.
During a 2012 episode of BBC Radio 4's Mastertapes, Vega revealed that she had written a follow-up to "Luka", from the point of view of the character as he looked back on his life. The song, titled 'Song of the Stoic', would later feature on her 2014 album Tales from the Realm of the Queen of Pentacles.

Suzanne Vega - Luka

My name is Luka
I live on the second floor
I live upstairs from you
Yes I think you've seen me before

If you hear something late at night
Some kind of trouble. some kind of fight
Just don't ask me what it was

I think it's because I'm clumsy
I try not to talk too loud
Maybe it's because I'm crazy
I try not to act too proud

They only hit until you cry
After that you don't ask why
You just don't argue anymore

Yes I think I'm okay
I walked into the door again
Well, if you ask that's what I'll say
And it's not your business anyway
I guess I'd like to be alone
With nothing broken, nothing thrown

Just don't ask me how I am [X3]

My name is Luka
I live on the second floor
I live upstairs from you
Yes I think you've seen me before

If you hear something late at night
Some kind of trouble, some kind of fight

And they only hit until you cry
After that, you don't ask why

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Being with You" is a 1981 song recorded by American singer Smokey Robinson and is the title track from his Gold-certified album with the same name. The song spent five weeks at No. 1 on the Hot Soul Singles chart from March to early May 1981 and reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100, behind "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes, his highest charting solo hit on the Billboard pop charts.
“ Now let me tell ya about a coincidental relationship between Smokey at #2 and Kim Carnes who's at #1 again this week. Kim's last hit was "More Love", her remake of an old Smokey Robinson hit. Well, Smokey liked Kim's version so much that he wrote her another song, but when Smokey's producer heard the demo, he told Smokey, "You oughta record it yourself!", and that's the song we just heard in the #2 position. And how ironic it is that Smokey's recording of the song he'd written for Kim Carnes has been kept out of the #1 spot by a Kim Carnes hit for 3 weeks running. - Casey Kasem, American Top 40 ”
It hit No. 1 on the U.S. Cash Box Top 100. The track was also a No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart in June 1981, becoming Robinson's second UK No. 1 single and his first as a solo artist.

Smokey Robinson - Being With You

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Emotion" is a song written by Barry and Robin Gibb. It was first recorded by Australian singer Samantha Sang, whose version reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1978. The Bee Gees recorded their own version of the song in 1994 as part of an album called Love Songs which was never released but it was eventually included on their 2001 collection titled Their Greatest Hits: The Record. In 2001, "Emotion" was covered by the American R&B girl group Destiny's Child. Their version of the song was an international hit, reaching the top ten on the US Hot 100 chart and peaking in the top five on the UK Singles Chart.
Originally, the song "Emotion" was recorded by Samantha Sang for the Private Stock label. The song was Sang's only hit single, reaching number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. Billboard ranked her version as the No. 14 song for 1978. There is a promotional video made for this song.
When Sang arrived in Miami, instead of recording "Don't Throw it All Away", Barry Gibb offered her a new song "Emotion". On this track, Sang sticks to a breathy, Barry-like sound. Gibb himself provided harmony and background vocals, using his falsetto on this track. The B-side was "When Love Is Gone," a Frances Lai composition. It was recorded around April 1977 in Criteria Studios in Miami, Florida around the same time as Barry contributed writing and producing "Save Me, Save Me" for the band Network. Blue Weaver identified the musicians as shown from memory. On the session, Joey Murcia plays guitar, George Bitzer on keyboards, Harold Cowart on bass and Ron "Tubby" Zeigler on drums. It was originally intended for use in the 1977 film Saturday Night Fever, but ended up being featured in the film The Stud (1978) starring Joan Collins. Also in 1978, Emotion was used as the B-side of Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams's single "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late", which reached number one in the US.
In 2001, "Emotion" was recorded by American R&B group Destiny's Child for their third studio album Survivor (2001). Produced and arranged by Mark J. Feist, it features a slower tempo than the Samantha Sang original, although a more uptempo Neptunes-produced remix of the song was also produced and included in the band's remix album This Is The Remix (2002). Feist had previously produced the song for Filipino singer Regine Velasquez for her album Drawn in 1998 and used exactly the same backing track for Destiny's Child.
Issued as that album's fourth single, the song continued the group's streak of top-ten hits in the United States, peaking at number ten on the Billboard Hot 100 on 20 November 2001. It was also a hit in the United Kingdom, where it peaked at number three on the UK Singles Chart and sold over 145,000 copies, and reached the top ten in several major music markets, including New Zealand, Ireland, and the Netherlands.
The single was accompanied by a Francis Lawrence-directed music video featuring a triple split screen effect. The song was heavily on radio station playlists during the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks, and eventually became a tribute song to the family of the victims. The group also paid tribute to late R&B singer Aaliyah, who died in August 2001 in a plane crash, at the Soul Train Music Awards with a performance of this song.
The music video featured a triple split-screen effect. Rowland on the left, Knowles in the center, and Williams on the right. Rowland is seen saying goodbye to her boyfriend before he leaves in a taxi. Knowles catches her boyfriend with another woman and runs around the house in tears. Williams is with her grandmother, who has died in her bed. At the end of the video Williams calls the other group members to her home. The three girls meet there and comfort each other. The screen returns to normal.

The music clip is featured as an enhanced video on the European editions of the CD single and on the 2004 Wal-Mart exclusive DVD titled Fan Pack.

Samantha Sang - Emotion

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Smooth Operator" is a song by English band Sade from their debut studio album Diamond Life (1984). It was released as the fourth and final single from Diamond Life (in both the United States and the United Kingdom) as a 7-inch single with "Spirit" as its B-side, and as a 12-inch maxi single with "Smooth Operator" and "Red Eye" on side A and "Spirit" on side B.
"Smooth Operator" became Sade's first Top Ten hit in the US, peaking at number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for two weeks in May 1985. The song spent 13 weeks in the Top 40, and also topped the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart for two weeks. Although "Your Love Is King" remains Sade's biggest hit in the UK to date, "Smooth Operator" is the band's breakthrough hit on the US charts, and their most successful single internationally.

Sade - Smooth Operator