• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In late 1978 Hartman reached #1 on the Dance Charts with the discofied single, "Instant Replay", He was back in the charts yet again with the Top 10 single, "I Can Dream About You," which was featured on his new album of the same name as well as the Streets of Fire soundtrack in 1984. The tune reached #6 on the U.S. charts, and (on rerelease in 1985) #12 in the UK. Hartman was featured as a bartender in the video, which received heavy rotation on MTV. In 1985, Hartman scored a third number-one single on the Dance Music charts, "We Are The Young."

Death
Hartman died of a brain tumor in 1994 in Westport, Connecticut (he was living with AIDS at the time). Only after Hartman's death did his homosexuality become public knowledge. At the time of his death, his music was enjoying a revival; a cover version of his song, "Relight My Fire", became a British number-one hit for Take That and Lulu. Sales of Hartman's solo recordings, group efforts, production, songwriting and compilation inclusions, exceed fifty million records worldwide. He was cremated.

Dan Hartman - Instant Replay

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Let's Dance" is the title song from British singer-songwriter David Bowie's 1983 album of the same name. It was also released as the first single from that album in 1983, and went on to become one of his biggest-selling tracks. Stevie Ray Vaughan played the guitar solo at the end of the song.
The single was one of Bowie's fastest selling to date, entering the UK Singles Chart at number five on its first week of release, staying at the top of the charts for three weeks. Soon afterwards, the single topped the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Bowie's only single to reach number one on both sides of the Atlantic. In Oceania, it narrowly missed topping the Australian charts, peaking at number two, but peaked at number one for 4 consecutive weeks in New Zealand.
he music video was made by David Mallet on location in Australia including a bar in Carinda in New South Wales and the Warrumbungle National Park near Coonabarabran. It featured Bowie playing with his band while impassively watching an Aboriginal couple’s struggles against metaphors of Western cultural imperialism. The red shoes mentioned in the song's lyrics appear in several contexts. Bowie described this video (and the video for his subsequent single, "China Girl") as "very simple, very direct" statements against racism and oppression.

David Bowie - Let's Dance

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2861579000000578-3070516-image-a-26_1430928825276.jpg

Errol Brown, pictured with his wife Ginette after receiving an MBE in 2003, lost his battle with liver cancer

6 May 2015

Errol Brown, co-founder and frontman of British soul band Hot Chocolate, has died aged 71 after losing his battle with liver cancer.
The singer, whose smash hits included You Sexy Thing and Everyone's a Winner, passed away at his home in the Bahamas with his wife of 35 years Ginette and daughters Leonie and Colette at his bedside.
Yet, the renowned singer became an international celebrity despite being abandoned by his father in Jamaica. His mother had emigrated to England and worked as a shorthand secretary to secure the future for her son.

006EFE3D1000044C-0-image-a-1_1430926191590.jpg

Honoured: Errol Brown, the co-founder and frontman of British soul band Hot Chocolate, has died aged 71.
The singer (pictured with wife Ginette and daughters Leonie and Colette) received an MBE in 2003

His mother, who died in 1963 at the tragically early age of just 36, never saw how successful her son would become. Yet, her influence and the sacrifices she made to ensure that Brown went to a public school and received the best possible education, had a dramatic influence on the singer.
That he was surrounded by his loved ones was a fitting end for the soul singer, who famously quit showbusiness in 1985 to spend more time with his family - only to have a second crack at the big time when You Sexy Thing was used in 1997 film The Full Monty.
He said arriving in London to the home his mother had prepared had a major influence on the nature of his music and as a result which made it so popular with the record-buying public.
Speaking to bluesandsould.com he said: 'Basically it was the combination of the cultures in me - black and white - that really became the basis of my music.'

Friends last night described him as a ‘charismatic performer’ and a ‘gentleman’.
Brown was educated privately thanks to the extraordinary sacrifice made by his mother, who left Jamaica for Britain in 1953 and sent for her son when he was 12.
Working as a shorthand typist she saved enough to buy a house, remove her son from a secondary modern and put him through private school in West Hampstead, London.
He said: 'I was with boys who wanted to be doctors, lawyers. Where I was before, they wanted to be postmen, bus drivers. Your ambitions changed.'
During that interview, he revealed what it was like to play for Charles and Diana during their 1981 wedding reception.
He said: 'The Royal Wedding reception was special, in the sense that it’s the first time I’d been onstage and all I could see was tiaras glistening in the night! You know, the Kings and Queens from around the world were there, and it was a very special day.
'I particularly remember doing the soundcheck at The Palace, when one of the roadies shouted "Princess Diana‘s coming up the corridor!" And how some people were so in awe of her that they were like scampering out because they couldn’t face the fact she was gonna be walking in the same room! It was really strange!
'I remember her coming over to me to thank me for coming, and thinking what a tall and pretty lady she was! Then, about 15 minutes later, Prince Charles came in and did the same thing!'

The 71-year-old singer got his big break in 1969when he sent a reggae version of John Lennon's Give Peace A Chance to the former Beatle, who loved the track, and allowed him to release it with his blessing.
With Hot Chocolate, Brown found his calling, releasing three of the most influential tracks of the 1970s, 'You Sexy Thing', 'It Started With a Kiss' and 'Everyone's a Winner'.
He shocked the music world in 1985, while at the height of his fame, he split from the band because he wanted to spend more time with his growing family.
After leaving the band bought a mansion in Esher, Surrey when he settled down as a self confessed 'couch potato'. He then became a supporter of the Conservative Party, even singing a reggae version of Imagine at one party conference. He also owned a Porsche, a Rolls Royce as well as a couple of race horses.
One of his horses, Gainsay, ran in the Aintree Grand National in 1989 and 1990, however, he fell the first time around and unseated his rider Mark Pitman on the second attempt.
The band had released at least one hit record every year between 1970 and 1984, but Brown was no longer enjoying the process. He said he always found it easy to write a hit song. When it became a problem, he decided to quit.
He was a man who had a deep love of the music but less of an interest in the business.

Speaking in 2009, he told the Telegraph: Once I started to struggle with writing, I decided I wouldn’t bother to do it. When I was writing Sexy Thing, I was in clubs until 4am; that was my life. Once I got married and had my children, I left the life. That’s why I can walk away from this.
'I don’t have to be looking for love. When you play to 100,000 people and you come off stage and there’s nobody there for you, that’s the saddest day of your life.'
Brown was made an MBE in 2003 and received an Ivor Novello award for services to music.
It was his smooth, soulful voice that made him so popular, yet he was an almost-reluctant popstar.
Among those paying tribute was singer Beverley Knight who said: 'I am so gutted. Errol Brown was such a charismatic performer', while DJ Dave Haslam called him a 'great performer'.
Musician and producers Nile Rodgers tweeted: 'We had some good times back in the day'.

Brown scored his first success with Hot Chocolate in 1970 with the top 10 track Love Is Life and went on to have more than 20 top 40 hits.
You Sexy Thing made it into the top 10 three times - helped along in 1997 by its use in the film The Full Monty - and the band had their only number one with So You Win Again in 1977.
It Started With A Kiss also charted three times.
In the 1990s, Hot Chocolate had slipped from the public consciousness, yet many artists continued to cite them as a major influence in their work. He was one of the pioneers of the British soul movement, producing some of the ultimate feel-good music.
It was almost inevitable then, when, the makers of the Full Monty were seeking a theme song for their movie about a group of unemployed Sheffield steel workers forming a male striptease group, that they asked to use 'You Sexy Thing'.

This made the 1997 movie an unlikely box office hit and it introduced Brown's work to a new generation of fans.
As a result of the renewed interest, Brown went on a final 'Farewell Tour' in 2009.
At the start of the tour he told BBC Breakfast that he had 'done all [he] wanted to do.
'I'm getting a little older now, you know. It's hard to pack the suitcase and get back on the road again.
'But the music will be there, so that won't go away.'
In a message on his website after the tour, he thanked fans for coming out in large numbers to show their love and support.
'The atmosphere at the concerts were the best ever and you played your part in making me realise just how wrong it would have been to have just drifted away and not say goodbye.
'The love I felt at each concert will stay in my heart forever.'
Away from show business, Brown was a fan of golf and bridge as well as owning several race horses.
His manager, Phil Dale, described the musician as 'a wonderful gentleman' and said his death had come as a surprise.
He said: 'He had been poorly over the past few months but he never discussed it.'
He added: 'I never went into his home, car or a hotel room without music playing. And it always played constantly in his dressing room before a concert.
'Errol was a gentle man and was a personal friend of mine who will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him. His greatest legacy is that his music will live on.'
He received an MBE for services to pop music from at Buckingham Palace in 2003. A year later, he received the Ivor Novello award for outstanding contribution to British music.
Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans confirmed on Twitter that he would have a Hot Chocolate section on his morning show tomorrow.
Grand National winning trainer Jenny Pitman told Sky Sports News of her deep sadness on finding out about Brown's death.
As well as Gainsay, Pitman trained Do Be Brief for the singer.
She said: 'He was so kind to me and my family and it is such sad news, he was only 71.
'I actually trained for a few people in the pop world, David Walker from Status Quo and Rod Stewart's manager, I don't know why they came to me.
'Peter Callender (songwriter and producer) introduced Errol to me and it went from there. He was a very normal man and not in any way "showbizzy".
'He enjoyed winners at all the big tracks, I remember him leading Gainsay in at Cheltenham one day and then letting go of his head to salute the crowd and they went wild. There was another day at Aintree when the BBC played Every One's A Winner, too. We went to one of his last shows in Birmingham and were lucky enough to go out for dinner with him after, it was special.
'Watching him perform was great, he built the crowd into a frenzy. He was an absolute gentleman.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070516/Hot-Chocolate-singer-Errol-Brown-dies-aged-71.html

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In late 1978 Hartman reached #1 on the Dance Charts with the discofied single, "Instant Replay", He was back in the charts yet again with the Top 10 single, "I Can Dream About You," which was featured on his new album of the same name as well as the Streets of Fire soundtrack in 1984. The tune reached #6 on the U.S. charts, and (on rerelease in 1985) #12 in the UK. Hartman was featured as a bartender in the video, which received heavy rotation on MTV. In 1985, Hartman scored a third number-one single on the Dance Music charts, "We Are The Young."

Death
Hartman died of a brain tumor in 1994 in Westport, Connecticut (he was living with AIDS at the time). Only after Hartman's death did his homosexuality become public knowledge. At the time of his death, his music was enjoying a revival; a cover version of his song, "Relight My Fire", became a British number-one hit for Take That and Lulu. Sales of Hartman's solo recordings, group efforts, production, songwriting and compilation inclusions, exceed fifty million records worldwide. He was cremated.

Dan Hartman - Instant Replay

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"You Belong to the City" is a song written by Glenn Frey (of the Eagles) and Jack Tempchin, and recorded by Frey during his solo career. It was written specifically for the television show Miami Vice in 1985. The song nearly reached the top of the charts, peaking at number two (behind Starship's We Built This City) on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, although it did reach the top of the Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart. This song, along with Jan Hammer's "Miami Vice Theme", helped the Miami Vice soundtrack album reach the top spot of the Billboard 200 chart for 11 weeks in 1985, making it the best-selling album of the year and the most successful TV soundtrack of all time. Frey has performed this song live when touring with the Eagles in the past, but has not done so since 2005.

Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Jeopardy" is a hit song released in 1983 by The Greg Kihn Band on their album Kihnspiracy. It is the band's first and only Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, reaching number 2 in May 1983 (behind Michael Jackson's "Beat It") and also hitting number 1 on the dance charts for two weeks a month earlier. The song also reached number 63 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming the band's only charting song in the UK. The song is written in the key of D minor. The song switches to the relative F Major Key in the song's Pre-Chorus.

Greg Kihn - Jeopardy

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Lost on Jeopardy" is a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic from his second album, "Weird Al" Yankovic in 3-D. The song is a parody of "Jeopardy" by The Greg Kihn Band, and its refrain "Our love's in jeopardy". The parody's lyrics center on the then-former game show Jeopardy!, hosted by Art Fleming; a syndicated revival, with Alex Trebek, began three months after the single's release.
The song became the fourth music video released by Yankovic, and featured a number of cameo appearances including Kihn, Fleming, Yankovic's mentor Dr. Demento, original Jeopardy! announcer Don Pardo, and Yankovic's parents.
The song has been referenced several times on the game show itself, including once as a category on the current Alex Trebek-hosted version, and later when Yankovic appeared on Rock & Roll Jeopardy!. It was the subject of an Audio Daily Double on the daytime episode that originally aired on October 23, 1984, when the contestant who got the clue was asked to identify the artist of the song from an audio sample of the song but failed to do so, and the subject of a Daily Double on the April 27, 2012 episode of the show, but the contestant receiving the clue--which consisted of the release year and some lyrics--failed to identify the song.[1] The song was played over the closing credits on the second episode of Rock & Roll Jeopardy! on which Yankovic appeared.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - I Lost On Jeopardy

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Boys (Summertime Love)" is a song recorded by Italian singer Sabrina. It was released in May 1987 as the third single from her eponymous album and achieved great success in many countries, including Spain, Switzerland, France and Italy, where it was a number-one single. It was Sabrina's first single to be released in the UK, where it reached number 3.
The song was re-released as a remixed version twice: in France in 1995, retitled as "Boys '95", and in 2003 as "Boys Boys Boys (The Dance Remixes)".
Part of the success of the song is due to its music video, filmed at the Florida hotel in Jesolo (Veneto, Italy). In it, Sabrina splashes about in a swimming pool, while her bikini top keeps sliding down, thus revealing parts of her nipples. It remains one of the most downloaded videoclips on the Internet.
During an interview with Nino Firetto on the Music Box program on Super Channel in late 1988, Sabrina explained that the video for "Boys" was originally created to be a segment in a magazine show. This was Sabrina's explanation of why its style more closely matched that of Italian magazine shows of the time (more overtly sexy) than that of the traditional music video.
"Boys (Summertime Love)" had its greatest success in Italy, staying at number one for two months.
It was also a big hit in France, staying for five weeks at number one. The single debuted at number 29 and remained on the French SNEP Singles Chart for 25 weeks from December 12, 1987 to May 28, 1988. Sabrina was the only pin-up girl at that time to reach the top of the charts in France, as opposed to the French Lova Moor and the British Samantha Fox. Certified Gold disc by the SNEP, the single was the first number one by an Italian singer. According to the Infodisc Website, the song is the 292nd best-selling single of all time in France, with 683,000 copies sold. It also reached number three in the UK Singles Chart (despite, or perhaps because of, the video's ban there) and number 11 in Australia.

SABRINA - Boys