• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello there D!
We met at the Ledang Club House yesterday during dinner time and had a little chat about moving and staying here in Nusajaya. Great to know more people in the vicinity.

My new blog : http://housenumber33.blogspot.com/
is pale in comparision to your website ... so hope to be able to contribute more in the future and look forward to learn your your gardening experience.

My regards to S !

Nice twin villa! I can't still help regretting not buying the twin villa instead of a corner terrace. Hope you don't mind if I pop by for the seeds you offered someone else! :wink: But that will probably be late next year when we move in. GBU!

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh my goodness. I love the black pepper and the curry version.

Apologies for this unhelpful answer about the wild boar bak kut teh: it is not my favourite dish, so I have not tried it out. But there are always many cars at the stall and it has become well known among aficionados of bak kut teh.
In Gelang Patah, and presumably many other places in Johor, it is not difficult to get wild boar - known as 'babi hutan' - cooked in one of several styles eg black pepper or curry.
The Orang Asli sometimes have gun licenses and they supply this meat - one source.
Babi hutan run wild, literally, all over jungle Johor. For city folk, they are almost impossible to trap.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do it the right and legal way. Give several movers a call to quote your move. Most companies will ask you to complete the list of white goods. They will fill the Declaration of Goods Imported Form for you for an import permit. You don't pay a single cent for tax as this is listed as personal effects. I bought a new dishwasher, free standing cooker and LED TV before my move since they are significantly cheaper in SG.

My movers also came to pack all my furnitures, kitchenware and much more. The only thing I had to do is drive my cars and dogs via Tuas.

Moving can be daunting and I'm more than glad to share experiences to make everyone's move to JB as pleasant as can be.

Hi Polymin, mind sharing how to go about bringing in dogs legally? Tks.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks DAP and Investor for highlighting the funds transfer issue which could have easily escaped our attention. If you have already transferred your funds make sure you keep the bank statements and receipt in good order in case you are asked to proof later. If you have not remitted large sums of money into your own named account then option 2 is obviously the way to go... there are quite a few reputable money changer in SG.

Thanks Leman for highlighting this issue. Too bad I have already thrown away all the bank receipts. Will keep the deposit receipt incase run into trouble with the authorities.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
205028_176035795781195_100001243288080_464664_30097_n.jpg197339_176035809114527_100001243288080_464665_5697448_n.jpg

Beware bros ....

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cathy you are SUPER KIASU but SUPER NOT KIASI... lol ... nobody in Johor dares to do what you did... and i bet you did not declare when you came into MY

What to do? That time was Chinese New Year time, need to pay deposit for my house, then the exchange rate was very low mah. With TT lagi low. Then my husband got so gangho...we didn't know that cannot do this.... :P

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry for the comment i left. It should be "might not". All used goods is not taxable, that is what I was told by the movers, but you need to declare them. And like one of the comments, the movers will ask you to fill up a form to declare the appliances and its serial number as well.
There is a slight hysterical note when it comes to electrical appliances - the movers are very particular.
We lucked onto a really nice young guy from a very decent company who will move household stuff at a very reasonable cost from Singapore to your doorstep. Having checked with many others, I am sure their rates cannot be topped.

There are many considerations you may not know about: customs rules and regulations, complicated paperwork, the many counters and approvals required, timing at the causeways, reliable workers (a BIG consideration) and their working hours, and their break times … all sorts.

This company has wide experience and is very pleasant to deal with as well. And if you have stuff to donate to a registered charity in Johor, they know all the ropes.

NOTE: You must specify if you need the stuff unloaded and placed in your house.

Daniel Siew (Marketing Executive)
+607-238 6214 +607-238 5054 +6016-771 0912
[email protected]
MSN: [email protected] Skype: daniel.siew_oal
Green Land Logistic Sdn Bhd (JB)

And do tell them I made the recommendation - one day they will advertise!

deadsoulz

Alfrescian
Loyal
For all pork lovers, can try 锦和 supermarket that sell quite a variety. Its around nusa bestari , opposite bestmart. Make a right turn at petronas station(opp bestmart), turn left and you will see the supermart on the right.

Yeah LeMans quite far for me to travel.

But i love pork.

Nothing like fresh pork unlike the one we get in Spore.

whiteoak

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just learnt that the Garden Terrace at The Hills has in build high speed broadband ... thats pretty cool...

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lucky didn't buy Adda Height, don't feel at ease with it also....

Always a good idea to fully secure your house with good locks. What you need is a lock that is not so easily broken so that you will wake up before they succeed. One must not have a false sense of security, you must be prepared in case the security is breached.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Polymin, mind sharing how to go about bringing in dogs legally? Tks.

You need an export license from Singapore, and an import license from JB. Be careful about the date. I can't quite recall which licence comes first? With the licence you just drive through Tuas via the normal car lane.

To bring a dog back to SG, it will be subjected to the one month quarantine rule, plus a host of requirements in terms of vaccination.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
The newer design of Johor Bahru houses seem to have a lot of glass area. Big glass doors and big picture windows. If the thieves bring their glass-cutting tools, they will be able to get in silently, and without breaking any locks.

This all-glass type design is also common in Singapore condo's now, but our Singapore thieves are not as fierce as the J.B thieves. Many of the more audacious Condo robbries in Singapore are now done by 'tourists' and F.T.'s.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
The newer design of Johor Bahru houses seem to have a lot of glass area. Big glass doors and big picture windows. If the thieves bring their glass-cutting tools, they will be able to get in silently, and without breaking any locks.

This all-glass type design is also common in Singapore condo's now, but our Singapore thieves are not as fierce as the J.B thieves. Many of the more audacious Condo robbries in Singapore are now done by 'tourists' and F.T.'s.

Sometmes I feel the nice glass windows are so wasted lor, turns ugly after fixing the window grilles. What to do? Bo bian!

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys...

Been planning to purchase a unit at either East Ledang or HH. Was thinking of doing a little reconnaisance next weekend and take a look at the houses. The problem is we don't have a car. Is it better to rent a car in Singapore and cross the strait or is the alternative of renting a car in JB better? Thanks.
Renting a car in JB would be cheaper; look for one of those reliable car rental companies like Avis or Hertz. But it would be a lot easier to rent the car in SG and drive in/out of Nusajaya. Just make sure the insurance and rental terms cover usage in Malaysia. All the best.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Prof, Polymin, Mallow and cockcansing for the advise/tips about moving electrical items. I guess that's my only concern since I doubt the Msian customs will tax on my mattress and sofa set. And if the electrical items are really cheaper in SG, I might buy a few more stuff to move to Nusajaya when the time comes. Will contact that Danny contact given by Mallow. Thanks again.

As for the Myvi; don't get me wrong. It really is a decent car; and it can go up hills like Genting and Cameron. That particular hill where my friend's car got stuck was really steep; maybe 35-40 degrees... but it still managed to move, eventually :-) Counting down the months to moving.

Now there's another concern about my wife and my travel in/out of SG daily. Our plan is to travel in/out together... either one of us will need to make sacrifices in terms of waking earlier to go in together and staying back late to return to Nusajaya together. But last Thurs, she returned home at 4am because of quarter closing. And the next night, it was 11pm. Although this will be a rare issue, but we definitely need to find a way around this when it happens, for our safety and convenience... any suggestions?

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regarding the robbery at Adda Heights; it's frightening to have that happen to anyone. My wife and I discussed in detail about security and our safety before we decided to buy the house in NI. We didn't let fear paralyze us from buying the property and we plan to really beef up the security at our home when it's completed.... things like motion sensor spot lights around the house, fence wall lights switched on at night, 1-2 dogs as well as CCTV cameras around the area. These are on top of grills and maybe land mines in the garden.

Our plan is to prevent the robbers from being tempted to target our property by lighting up our homes at night. We also believe that the CCTV video is more of a tool to help in the capture (assuming that the Nusajaya police does their job) of the robbers; but we want to prevent the incident as much as possible.

Admittedly, NI's security doesn't seem as good as HH.

Polymin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Add motion detectors as a triple layer security on top of good locks as first measure, then followed by the usual alarm system.

Always make your room ( and kids ) a safe room with dead bolts. As long as you delay their entry, you can save your family
Replace the cheap door with flame retardant doors.( I plan to also get some fire extinguisher as well)

There's no full proof but there should be some basic measure to protect ourselves. I take extra effort to know all my neighbors and look out for each other. Me paranoid, maybe but I prefer to call it survival skills

Status
Not open for further replies.