• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

Yes, 2nd hand is definitely ok as long as you can get a reliable mechanic to help. Or make friend with sales staff who should have a better idea which car is ok which is a lemon.... I guess with a price tag like RM20k it is much less worrying to buy a 2nd hand car. This brings back memory of my trip to NZ years back... passing by all those 2nd hand car shops displaying price tags 3,999 or 7,999 on the car.

But for those who wish to buy a new MY plated car in MY, i recommend MYVI. At 1.3l, the interior feels very spacious and it is not lacking in power at all, compared to many 1.5l or 1.6l cars.
Hi, just wanted to share my experience driving a Myvi... there was once I was with some friends going for dinner up a hill in KL. It was congested and we had to stop at a slope for the road to clear. When it was time to move, my friend couldn't get her car to move; so I took over to try and it took a bit of effort and some skills to finally get the car to move up the slope. And that was after we ask everyone to get out from the car. Found out later that the Myvi's torque is very low, resulting in the difficulty in driving the car uphill from a stationary position. Other than that, it's quite a good car.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
If i am not wrong they have it everyyear at almost the same time right. That is April?

They have another one in October as well. Hope i am not wrong..

Just recalling from memory.

Dear all,

Yet another home fair coming this weekend

Home Fair 2011
08 April 2011 - 10 April 2011

http://www.x2.com.my/

Event : HOMEFAiR '11
Properties and Home Furnishing Exhibitions
Date : 8 Apr~10 Apr 2011 (11am - 9pm daily)
Free Admission
Venue : Level 3 Convention Hall (Exhibition Entrance)
Level 1 Exhibition Hall (Furniture & Mattress)
Persada Johor International Convention Centre
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Hope this information is useful for those who are moving and looking for local items.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
There should be no problem Vincent.

Tong Carriage did it for me. Did not have any issues.

They even handled the tax part for me as part of the package.

Hi... seems to be a few contradicting facts on this. Anyway, no worries, it's still another 6-8 months before I move to Nusajaya. I guess we'll handle it when it comes. Thanks for your comment.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice herbs you got there.

Hello there D!
We met at the Ledang Club House yesterday during dinner time and had a little chat about moving and staying here in Nusajaya. Great to know more people in the vicinity.

My new blog : http://housenumber33.blogspot.com/
is pale in comparision to your website ... so hope to be able to contribute more in the future and look forward to learn your your gardening experience.

My regards to S !

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had always heard that its a nice car from lots of folks.

So this is surprising.

But since you experienced it first hand then... we gotta accept that.

Hi, just wanted to share

And that was after we ask everyone to get out from the car. Found out later that the Myvi's torque is very low, resulting in the difficulty in driving the car uphill from a stationary position. Other than that, it's quite a good car.

Polymin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi... seems to be a few contradicting facts on this. Anyway, no worries, it's still another 6-8 months before I move to Nusajaya. I guess we'll handle it when it comes. Thanks for your comment.

Do it the right and legal way. Give several movers a call to quote your move. Most companies will ask you to complete the list of white goods. They will fill the Declaration of Goods Imported Form for you for an import permit. You don't pay a single cent for tax as this is listed as personal effects. I bought a new dishwasher, free standing cooker and LED TV before my move since they are significantly cheaper in SG.

My movers also came to pack all my furnitures, kitchenware and much more. The only thing I had to do is drive my cars and dogs via Tuas.

Moving can be daunting and I'm more than glad to share experiences to make everyone's move to JB as pleasant as can be.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, just wanted to share my experience driving a Myvi... there was once I was with some friends going for dinner up a hill in KL. It was congested and we had to stop at a slope for the road to clear. When it was time to move, my friend couldn't get her car to move; so I took over to try and it took a bit of effort and some skills to finally get the car to move up the slope. And that was after we ask everyone to get out from the car. Found out later that the Myvi's torque is very low, resulting in the difficulty in driving the car uphill from a stationary position. Other than that, it's quite a good car.

Thanks for he tips.. i'll make sure to avoid hills :smile:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do it the right and legal way. Give several movers a call to quote your move. Most companies will ask you to complete the list of white goods. They will fill the Declaration of Goods Imported Form for you for an import permit. You don't pay a single cent for tax as this is listed as personal effects. I bought a new dishwasher, free standing cooker and LED TV before my move since they are significantly cheaper in SG.

My movers also came to pack all my furnitures, kitchenware and much more. The only thing I had to do is drive my cars and dogs via Tuas.

Moving can be daunting and I'm more than glad to share experiences to make everyone's move to JB as pleasant as can be.

You are way earlier than many of us... good foresight. I seem to be doing what you did, ie popping by and looking at the progress every other month haha... the wait is agonising indeed. Good job recording all the progress of Nusajaya. Wow huge zoom lens you've got, you must be an avid photographer

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
VERY SERIOUS! Please read!

I'm saying this for the benefit of all foreigners especially us Singaporean bros/sis who are reading this so that you won't get yourself into trouble with Malaysia's law in the future and lose everything you have. The RM10k deposit limit per day into an account in Malaysia under a foreigner's name is an "Anti Money Laundering" law in Malaysia. No limit on deposit into an account under a Malaysian's name. Even if the bank's ATM is the loop-hole whereby you can deposit more than RM10k per day, you are still committing a very serious offence of money laundering. If the Malaysian Government takes action against you in future, they can get all the records(proof of crime) of your pass deposits into the bank. When this happens, you will be charged as a criminal. They can confiscate all your money in your bank since you are charged for money laundering and your money is therefore considered as 'underground' money, jail you, fine you heavily(up to RM1 million fine for money laundering), confiscate your properties in Malaysia etc. Your deposit transactions are recorded in the bank's system and can always be used as proof in the future.

1) The safest way to pay your 10% downpayment is TT via Sg Bank to your Malaysia developer's bank account(no limit for deposit into a Malaysian's account). It's the safest but you get the lousiest exchange rate.

2) Do the TT via a reputable money changer to developer's account(again, no limit for deposit into a Malaysian's account). You get better exchange rate but risk losing all your money if the money changer closed down overnight.

3) Bring your Ringgit to developer's office yourself. Very risky of course and you have to declare your money to both Singapore and Malaysia customs. Why must you declare? Answer is again the "Anti Money Laundering Act". Bringing any amount more than USD10,000 in or out of Malaysia = Must Declare. For Singapore, I think the amount is anything above SGD30,000 if I remember correctly.

4) If your spouse is Malaysian, you can deposit any amount into his/her account, no limit.

Thanks DAP and Investor for highlighting the funds transfer issue which could have easily escaped our attention. If you have already transferred your funds make sure you keep the bank statements and receipt in good order in case you are asked to proof later. If you have not remitted large sums of money into your own named account then option 2 is obviously the way to go... there are quite a few reputable money changer in SG.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had just deposited More then RM$100K via cash deposits machines on Feb. Very tedious, machines took 99 pieces of note at a go. All RM$50 notes. We manage to deposit all on the same trip.

Cathy you are SUPER KIASU but SUPER NOT KIASI... lol ... nobody in Johor dares to do what you did... and i bet you did not declare when you came into MY

Polymin

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are way earlier than many of us... good foresight. I seem to be doing what you did, ie popping by and looking at the progress every other month haha... the wait is agonising indeed. Good job recording all the progress of Nusajaya. Wow huge zoom lens you've got, you must be an avid photographer

Remember that good things comes to those who waits patiently. So hang in there and enjoy the journey.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apologies for this unhelpful answer about the wild boar bak kut teh: it is not my favourite dish, so I have not tried it out. But there are always many cars at the stall and it has become well known among aficionados of bak kut teh.
In Gelang Patah, and presumably many other places in Johor, it is not difficult to get wild boar - known as 'babi hutan' - cooked in one of several styles eg black pepper or curry.
The Orang Asli sometimes have gun licenses and they supply this meat - one source.
Babi hutan run wild, literally, all over jungle Johor. For city folk, they are almost impossible to trap.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pleasure is mutual, Polymin!
Thanks for the compliment - I had help from a creative genius as otherwise I'm not competent beyond email.
Glad of all your suggestions and tips.
Let me know if you would like some seeds, cuttings or guppies

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The price of Sardines at Giant was 5.99 per kg. I think its cheaper than Jusco where the price is 8.99 per kg. By the way Sardines difficult to remove bones but one of the healthiest fish.

lancevp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello there D!
We met at the Ledang Club House yesterday during dinner time and had a little chat about moving and staying here in Nusajaya. Great to know more people in the vicinity.

My new blog : http://housenumber33.blogspot.com/
is pale in comparision to your website ... so hope to be able to contribute more in the future and look forward to learn your your gardening experience.

My regards to S !

Hi Polymin,
I checked out your blog. Great photo collage of the history of House No. 33. Makes me imagine how i'd feel when my house is finally built. Thanks for that!
L

cockcansing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sorry for the comment i left. It should be "might not". All used goods is not taxable, that is what I was told by the movers, but you need to declare them. And like one of the comments, the movers will ask you to fill up a form to declare the appliances and its serial number as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.