SG Live Bet
SG Tipster
Page 1 of 763 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 15241

Thread: Living in JB

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Living in JB

    Fellow countrymen, i am fed up with the system and uprooting my family to JB. My friends are doing the same

    This is my plan:

    Get a couple of higher end properties for around 200k, example near to golf course, etc. Get properties with at least 3 layers of security. Secure your place with additional CCTV cameras etc. Live there and continue working in SG. Take morning express bus to Jurong East and take MRT or park your car there beforehand so you can continue from Jurong East by car:
    http://www.handalindah.com.my/latest.php

    Places like Mont Calista, Horizon hills and others are just good examples. Especially Horizon Hills as its a very integrated place. A Chinese primary school, international school, shops are all there inside the secured compound.

    It also has a full 18 hole golf course and my parents and siblings were amazed.
    It really took us a total of 15 minutes to the place and its very nice and close to all amenities. I am taking my keys to my 2nd unit there and i must say, its really nice with a nice resort feel. The golf course and olympic sized pool helps too.

    Mont Calista is great too, lots of space and very big.
    Share on Twitter

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    One other thing, it is also pretty safe there, at least in the confines of the resort and it has its own cafe, etc. Its also near Jusco, not far from Giant, Tesco, etc and they are building Legoland and a major hospital facility there. We normally go by 2nd link as there are very few cars there on weekdays and i would say so far so good. We also rented cars in JB to travel around so as to kind of blend in.
    Share on Twitter

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    31
    My Reputation Points: 27 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    One other thing, it is also pretty safe there, at least in the confines of the resort and it has its own cafe, etc. Its also near Jusco, not far from Giant, Tesco, etc and they are building Legoland and a major hospital facility there. We normally go by 2nd link as there are very few cars there on weekdays and i would say so far so good. We also rented cars in JB to travel around so as to kind of blend in.

    Hi Wuji, i envy you. you are already living my dream. My plan is to retire in malaysia with the fresh air and nice food there.

    everytime i go to malaysia, the moment i cross the custom i feel more relaxed.

    Can i check how did you go about funding your malaysia properties ?
    and do you think it is advisable to sell the singapore properties?
    Share on Twitter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oxley Rise
    Posts
    4,077
    My Reputation Points: 392 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Khaw Boon Wan only want the old people to go live in JB not you young fellas.
    Share on Twitter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,856
    My Reputation Points: 565 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Fellow countrymen, i am fed up with the system and uprooting my family to JB. My friends are doing the same

    This is my plan:

    Get a couple of higher end properties for around 200k, example near to golf course, etc. Get properties with at least 3 layers of security. Secure your place with additional CCTV cameras etc. Live there and continue working in SG. Take morning express bus to Jurong East and take MRT or park your car there beforehand so you can continue from Jurong East by car:
    http://www.handalindah.com.my/latest.php

    Places like Mont Calista, Horizon hills and others are just good examples. Especially Horizon Hills as its a very integrated place. A Chinese primary school, international school, shops are all there inside the secured compound.

    It also has a full 18 hole golf course and my parents and siblings were amazed.
    It really took us a total of 15 minutes to the place and its very nice and close to all amenities. I am taking my keys to my 2nd unit there and i must say, its really nice with a nice resort feel. The golf course and olympic sized pool helps too.

    Mont Calista is great too, lots of space and very big.
    What do u mean by 3 layers of security? Best is if u stay beside a police station!
    Share on Twitter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    My Reputation Points: 157 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by cooleo View Post
    What do u mean by 3 layers of security? Best is if u stay beside a police station!
    but most of the crimes are commited by the security guards and the polis themselves!
    Share on Twitter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,856
    My Reputation Points: 565 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by LonewolfAlfa View Post
    but most of the crimes are commited by the security guards and the polis themselves!
    Oh yeah hor.... Me bad!
    Share on Twitter

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Ok, so 2nd link is a bit different from the normal part of JB.
    Between me and my siblings and friends, we have been there
    about 30 times these 2 months and didn't encounter kopi money.

    3 layers of security means there are basically 3 groups of security guards stationed at different points with 3 different barriers. Of course, security alarms plus own cctv is still a must. It just makes its a little more safer especially when there are different groups of security guards who MUST all collude in order to rob/steal from you. Add to that, the places i found, is integrated with everything.

    The average $$$ a person needs to start this plan may be as low as 20k SGD to pay the downpayment. Financing is pretty low given todays low interest rates and you only pay less than 1k SGD a month to finance a large freehold place. My plan is that even if i don't live there, i will rent it out. 10 years, 20 years even 50 years from now(according to some people) i will still have the land although the culture and the people may have vastly changed by then. Look long term.

    To answer some of the private queries, I financed it with the banks, 85-90%(90 is pretty hard but achievable) Added to that, the properties are very low priced because all of us (Singaporeans) have this perception:

    1. Dangerous
    2. Corrupted
    3. Dangerous and corrupted

    If you avoid the dangerous areas and just don't be flashy as well as keep to yourself. I know of robberies and beheading happening even in Jurong area recently. Does that mean we all stay away from Jurong or does that imply the whole of Singapore is dangerous?

    Just take the necessary precaution, be humble and you should be fine.
    The prices are still low now because most Singaporeans are too timid to venture out, once enough people do so, they will pick up courage and move.

    Young people should start making plans, don't have to be JB. It can be any city and in any country. Just make sure you lay your plans now, as i read comments from other websites, i remember this:

    "Even your parents/siblings may dissuade you from leaving as they may have their own plans and agenda. Do what is right for you, especially if you have kids!"

    In this case, i am lucky that my spouse my parents and siblings have given their "buy in" after looking at the place. We intend to rent a jb registered car and to slowly get into their 2nd home plan which allows us to buy jb cars.

    Koreans/Japanese/South Africans/US/UK/Italians have all bought properties there. We are the closest to that area yet we invest the least there. Well, i am taking the plunge, always there is a need for someone to lead or die trying.

    Maybe i will die trying but at least i have led my life and followed my dreams. Its much better than complaining and dying a slow death compared to most people here.

    Consider this, if you must die tomorrow, have you truly lived today?
    (original quote)
    Share on Twitter

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sink City
    Posts
    22,253
    My Reputation Points: 3016 / Power: 15

    Default Re: Living in JB

    i would not invest a dime in singapore property. it is just a huge bubble waiting to explode.
    Share on Twitter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Also, thanks for the PM encouragements. I do not have anywhere specific to recommend, the ones i shared are the ones i think highly of.

    You can still go straight to the developers and talk to them directly.
    You can go straight to their websites:

    Horizon Hills
    www.horizonhills.com.my

    Mont Calista:
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/photo-viewer?id=207274

    General property prices
    http://www.propertick.com/

    I do not wish to gain anything from this other than seeing more of my countrymen living their lives well. I do not work for or gain any commissions in any process.

    I wish all fellow orphans of the state well.
    Share on Twitter

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Hi Mee Poh Man, do what we do, rent our places here, buy extra properties in Malaysia and live in one and rent out the rest, get some passive income and prepare for semi-retirement!
    Share on Twitter

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,856
    My Reputation Points: 565 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Wow sounds v adventurous. Then with the money u save, u can buy 2 cars!
    Share on Twitter

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,358
    My Reputation Points: 422 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Maybe i will die trying but at least i have led my life and followed my dreams. Its much better than complaining and dying a slow death compared to most people here.

    Consider this, if you must die tomorrow, have you truly lived today?
    (original quote)
    Congrats on your move. From your post, you are working in S'pore? At least JB is close enough. My plan to relocate is BKK where I already got a place. However, distance-wise, can't do something like you.. so it has to be a retirement plan. Spend the rest of my life on probably half the cost it requires to retire in S'pore, and probably a more luxurious lifestyle as well
    "It's not what you do at work everyday. It's what you do when there's work that counts"Pia
    Share on Twitter

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    679
    My Reputation Points: 77 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Living in JB

    staying in jb is really a good idea if u dont mind the commute...
    Share on Twitter

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,856
    My Reputation Points: 565 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by yellow people View Post
    3 layers of jeans to keep leetahbar aka Bob Sim Kheng Hwee away.
    Plus 3 layers of cK briefs!
    Share on Twitter

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    15,880
    My Reputation Points: 1837 / Power: 11

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Isn't it more practical to rent a place

    Don't have to worry about taxes & such. If after renting you get to know the area better & can consider buying.

    For those who worry about security, avoid keeping cash at home. Just buy cheap furniture & TV
    Share on Twitter

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Thanks for all the encouragement/comments.

    To some of the bros here. If an idiot like me can do it, so can you. Also, i looked long and hard before committing and i decided to commit in a big way. If any bros here want to ever rent, there are lots of places one can go where its nice and yet SAFE.

    Rent is cheap but i have managed to find a place which satisfied both my parents and my wife/children so this is it for me as it has everything we want yet we can still keep away from the infamous areas while having access to what we need.

    I can also work 2-3 days from home so it makes it all the more ideal as i can skip the daily commute. I plan to use it as a weekend home base to try out and worse case, i rent it out if i don't like it.

    One thing is to always be humble in others lands, no matter where you go or how important you think you are. Be nice to people but also be ready to defend yourself and be prepared to go all the way if need be.
    Thats what i always do.

    Remember, you can still get fleeced, robbed or raped in Singapore. Low crime doesn't mean no crime. Lack of reporting doesn't mean things don't go "bump" at night here.
    Share on Twitter

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by pia View Post
    Congrats on your move. From your post, you are working in S'pore? At least JB is close enough. My plan to relocate is BKK where I already got a place. However, distance-wise, can't do something like you.. so it has to be a retirement plan. Spend the rest of my life on probably half the cost it requires to retire in S'pore, and probably a more luxurious lifestyle as well
    Good for you, i planned to do that in Phuket actually but problem is they only have the 90 years lease thing and you never own the land but the house itself.(House freehold, land 30 years renewable lease but can only renew 2 times) They are clamping down on the "company" way/route to get housing. So i wanted something i can pass on to my son plus my old folks find it a hassle to have to fly. They are worried about food, etc. With the advent of cheap airlines, its actually a short flight to Phuket.

    I have lived in Phuket with 3k USD for 2 months(living at house of my friend there) I lived like a king there. Now 3k USD doesn't even last me 2 weeks here as i pay for my family and my dad+mums expenses.

    In terms of blending in, Chiangmai/Phuket would be good for locals here as they don't have too many weird beheading religions so if i could choose, i would go there or buy a property there too but then its mainly good for retirement. In JB, i can still work in SG and spend in JB.
    Share on Twitter

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    With the express bus service daily, who cares about kopi money from the cops. They can get it from the express bus driver. We need to find our way, we have become too dependant on the system, just like the character in the Matrix, Cypher. He became too used to the system so that even when having freedom, he chose instead to get back in.

    We need to start thinking about solving our problems instead of whining about them. No one cares about us, nor would they for our parents, ok well i do but not everyone thinks my way.

    The piety campaign that is coming at us is just a way to shirk responsibility to us. So i am more than happy to take up the responsibility but just not here anymore.
    Share on Twitter

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,449
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny333 View Post
    Isn't it more practical to rent a place

    Don't have to worry about taxes & such. If after renting you get to know the area better & can consider buying.

    For those who worry about security, avoid keeping cash at home. Just buy cheap furniture & TV
    Only the stamp duty and levy. Rest are neglible. Utilities at like 100 Ringgit a month, management fees free for the next 2 years. Petrol still at very reasonable rates. Right about the keeping cash at home thing, secure it adequately and you can put in nicer stuff. Else just use cheap furniture. One can get a set of cheap sofa for 300 ringgit there and equip a good sized place for cheap.
    Share on Twitter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. US pilots living next to runway
    By Lee Hsien Tau in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 10:57 PM
  2. MERCER Only Says S'pore Infrastructure. Quality Of Living In S'pore Way Down OK.
    By ahleebabasingaporethief in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-04-2009, 02:40 AM
  3. Guide to living like pigeons
    By scoopdreams in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-04-2009, 01:56 PM
  4. Condo-style living for Bangras now...
    By makapaaa in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
  5. Cost of living pushing up the Business Cost in Singapore ?
    By congo9 in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •