• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BIG WARNING: SINKTEL Sets Trap For Students With Student Plans?

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
This parent seems to think so....$25,000 plan so don't play play with SINKTEL

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="msghead"><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="msghead"><td class="msgT" align="right" width="1%" height="20" nowrap="nowrap">To: </td><td class="msgTname" width="68%" nowrap="nowrap">ALL <nobr></nobr></td> <td class="msgNum" align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> (1 of 2) </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td rowspan="4" class="msgleft" width="1%"> </td><td class="wintiny" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">17696.1 </td></tr><tr><td height="8">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="msgtxt"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>SingTel should make clear the risk of hefty bills for data services
</td></tr><tr><td><!-- headline one : end -->
</td></tr><tr><td><!-- show image if available -->
</td></tr></tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--> <!-- more than 4 paragraphs --> MY SON recently subscribed to a broadband youth plan for data services for his laptop that comes with a free modem on a one-year plan.
After he took it home, he found the modem could not be used on his laptop. The next day, I gave him a lift to the Hello! Shop to have it checked. With a new modem the problem was solved.
While we waited, I learnt that my son had subscribed to data services that allow him to connect to the Internet from anywhere. The monthly subscription fee is $29, with free data transfer for the first 50GB. Excess data is charged at $0.001 per 2KB. This is equivalent to $1 per 2MB or $1,000 per 2GB. Or $25,000 for another 50GB.

Based on the data transfer speed of 1.5Mbps provided on the promotional pamphlet, I calculated it would take about 10 minutes to transfer 1GB of information, or about eight hours to transfer 50GB costing $25,000.

Seeing a potential danger, I asked the Hello! officer if we could set a limit on usage or if there was a maximum amount a customer could be charged. The answer to both was no, but one can log into one's account and monitor usage.

However, if a modem is lost or stolen, each hour that passes before a report is made to SingTel could cost the customer about $3,000.

I would like to ask the following:
Is it fair to charge $29 for the first 50GB and $25,000 for the next 50GB?

Would it not be clearer and fairer to indicate on the promotional pamphlet that excess data would be charged at $1,000 per 2GB rather than at $0.001 per 2KB?

Why can't customers set a personal usage limit? And why can't a reasonable maximum charge be imposed?

How can the authorities allow students to sign such a financially daunting plan without the knowledge of their parents?

Ernest Seah

</td></tr></tbody></table>