• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

So 'lemak' you can swim in it

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/guide/story/0,4136,207819,00.html?

Makan Sites
So 'lemak' you can swim in it
By Yeoh Wee Teck

July 15, 2009

NP_SHOW_1_CURRENT_YEMADAM.jpg

AT MADAM Tan's Nasi Lemak in Maxwell Market, it was the chicken curry that did it.

As soon as I gobbled up the meal, I knew that the next time I was at the gym, it had to be another 15 minutes on that darn treadmill.

But I am always weak for lemak. Lemak means creamy, and with Madam Tan, bless her, it is almost like swimming in a vat of it.

Madam Tan's Nasi Lemak opened last month at the busy hawker centre. It's located in the 'Breakfast Row' at the back. It opens at 7.30am and closes around 3pm.

And for a new player in an established hawker centre, it is doing well. Food usually sells out by 2pm.

The chef-owner is Miss Shen Tan, 37, a former high flyer in the corporate world who decided to listen to her heart (and stomach), and set up the stall.

For someone too fond of anything creamy, I wasn't let down by the chicken curry.

This is a simple everyday-everywhere dish, but the version here is hearty with spices (though mild) and a luxurious creaminess.

It is oily (the oil pooled at the side of the plate will scare some but was comforting for me), so restraint is vital.

Like a typical nasi lemak stall, there are many side dishes to choose from.

I recommend the flavourful crispy pork ($1.50) and the roast pork confit (slightly tart, a nice contrast to the lemak-ness of the rice, $2).

But really, I'll be satisfied with a serving of the chicken curry atop that fragrant rice.

Fresh coconut milk

A beaming Miss Tan said this level of lemak-ness is attained because she uses only fresh coconut milk and everything is cooked by her.

Which would explain the limited quantities.

She lamented: 'The first time I sold out, the next day I made 30 per cent more. And that sold out too. I guess I'll just try to make more.'

Just to be safe, she suggests you drop in at noon.

Madam Tan's is certainly going to help Maxwell Market's reputation as one of the best hawker centres in Singapore.

The prices are sensitive to the world's economy and the portions are friendly.

It costs $2.50 for a basic nasi lemak set (comprising a chicken wing, egg, ikan bilis and cucumber slices).

Add-ons start from 70 cents. The chicken curry is $2 per serving, and well worth it.

Just be sure you have your tissue paper or umbrella ready to 'chope' your table.