• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,

It seems like a long long long time since I last posted on a forum called Sam's Alfresco Coffeeshop! :biggrin:

How's everyone doing? Is CKCA still around ?I saw scrobal. Winnipegjets? Hellboy? and the rest that I can't remember!

Yo ex-Doc.. I am still waiting for you to land here - Australia. still waiting...

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,

It seems like a long long long time since I last posted on a forum called Sam's Alfresco Coffeeshop! :biggrin:

How's everyone doing? Is CKCA still around ?I saw scrobal. Winnipegjets? Hellboy? and the rest that I can't remember!

Many samsters looking high and low for you, doc. How's life in Edmonton?What's your opinion about Canada after having lived there for a number of years?

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,

hey doc, nice to see u again! so hows are things with you in canada?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome back Doc.

You probably won't realise this but your thoughts and struggle to move has inspired many in this forum.

Hi guys,

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hi everyone!

Sorry but I try not to post from a terminal at work. Have been really busy.

I must say the title "Emigration Matters The cowards never started and the weak died along the way"

In a way I have taken steps to be less of a coward but still have not proven if I am strong enough to survive.

Just a brief update. I landed in Edmonton June 2008. Spent 2 weeks in Canada (that's all the leave I had) then returned to Singapore. Global financial crisis happened. My investments were in the red, financially wasn't doing very well. Wife wasn't sure about moving.

Last year we made a decision as a family to move. Kids are now aged 9, 8 and 3.

Plan is to move wife and kids over in July 2010. I will return to Singapore and clear up loose ends and join them in Feb 2011.

I used to worry a lot. I still tend to worry. A good friend of mine told me that no matter what it is, worrying never helps. And he is right. So these days, I tell myself no point worrying. Just do it. If you want something work hard for it.

Nothing venture nothing gained.

Don't take life too seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive anyway! :biggrin:

Scrobal, are you overseas? Migrated? Was it Australia that you went to?

Axe168, your nick looks familiar. Did I meet you before? Can PM me?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congratulations [nayr69sg],
Delighted to hear from you, and that you have three children.
Just like NIKE, "Just do it!"
Perhaps, you and your wife may need to make a few new friends in Edmonton so that when you return to SG, she may have some friendly assistance, with your three children.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone!

I must say the title "Emigration Matters The cowards never started and the weak died along the way"

In a way I have taken steps to be less of a coward but still have not proven if I am strong enough to survive.

Just a brief update. I landed in Edmonton June 2008. Spent 2 weeks in Canada (that's all the leave I had) then returned to Singapore. Global financial crisis happened. My investments were in the red, financially wasn't doing very well. Wife wasn't sure about moving.

Plan is to move wife and kids over in July 2010. I will return to Singapore and clear up loose ends and join them in Feb 2011.

I used to worry a lot. I still tend to worry. A good friend of mine told me that no matter what it is, worrying never helps. And he is right. So these days, I tell myself no point worrying. Just do it. If you want something work hard for it.

Don't take life too seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive anyway! :biggrin:

Hi Doc,

To keep your PR, you need to stay in Canada 2(cumulative) out of 5 years after June 2008.

This is a good website for new PR:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Tks for the reminder Hock. I am aware of that. We always knew that May 2011 was our deadline to decide if we truly wanted to migrate. (June 2008- May 2013, if we stay from June 2011 to May 2013 it will be around 730 days)

Hock, are you in Canada already?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone!

Hey doc, Welcome back. Copngratulations on your move. Canada is a big country with vast opportunities, I know of people there who have stayed for decades and are doing very well, so you should not have any problems. My personal experience is, you may face a lot of uphills but no matter what, do not give up your fight and never look back. The end result will be good.

Please keep us updated.

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Doc, good to see your post here. Well, my family and I will make the move to Edmonton in 2 weeks. We'll see you there soon. Let me know if I can be of any help.

See ya! :smile:

woolsworth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Doc,

To keep your PR, you need to stay in Canada 2(cumulative) out of 5 years after June 2008.

[/url]

The Canadian/ US border is very porous . If you carry a Singapore Passport, one can 'remain' in Canada even after departing from JFK or LAX. :smile:

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Canadian/ US border is very porous . If you carry a Singapore Passport, one can 'remain' in Canada even after departing from JFK or LAX. :smile:

used to be...not anymore, hehehe.

Anyway, seems that most that had left for Canada a while back are either 'back in SG' or planning to come back...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
used to be...not anymore, hehehe.

Anyway, seems that most that had left for Canada a while back are either 'back in SG' or planning to come back...

9-11 made it like that. Fuck Bush.

Hey, how'd'ya know? Er, back in Asia lah. Singapore is peesai only (meant affectionately), China is the dragon (that US and EU wants to court.) Okay then, Singapore is the gecko then.

Cheers!

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey, how'd'ya know? Er, back in Asia lah. Singapore is peesai only (meant affectionately), China is the dragon (that US and EU wants to court.) Okay then, Singapore is the gecko then.

Cheers!

Courting the dragon indeed we are. I know a few more who were there that are back in Asia, including myself. Might be headed back to the oil-patch for a project deployment in Oct. I'm simultaneously in both the water and oil-gas business now, haha.

Cheers,
Trout

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Bush was not responsible for 9-11.:rolleyes: The World Trade centre was a target of Al-Qaeda way back at the start of the Clinton Adminstration.

9-11 simply finished what was started a decade or so earlier.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks for the reminder Hock. I am aware of that. We always knew that May 2011 was our deadline to decide if we truly wanted to migrate. (June 2008- May 2013, if we stay from June 2011 to May 2013 it will be around 730 days)

Hock, are you in Canada already?

I am in Ho Chi Minh City; waiting for my passport request.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Doc, good to see your post here. Well, my family and I will make the move to Edmonton in 2 weeks. We'll see you there soon. Let me know if I can be of any help.

See ya! :smile:

Congratulations! Are you buying or renting first?