• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to disappoint you bro. I may love the use of cliches to derisive death but I'm busy enough with work and family. Life is just too damn interesting in the GTA for me to waste my time on doppelgängers.

haven't we heard of that oft used signature phrase from another moniker before? :biggrin:

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry to disappoint you bro. I'm busy enough with work and family. Life is just too damn interesting in the GTA for me to waste my time on doppelgängers.

yes, just do what you do best and leave the patient work to us. we have very sharp shooters here on sbf. :biggrin:

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really?? You believe the gov't??? Whatever happened to the Chinaman owned HD Mining whose policy was no angmohs or locals. Ah Tiongs only . Didn't bother to keep up with the news. Wendy Poh got news clippings???

8633310346_f9b6cd9def_b.jpg

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
RBC, Canada’s largest bank by assets, fired “dozens” of staff in its investors services group and replaced them with individuals under contract with iGATE Corp., the CBC television network reported on its website. One of the employees being replaced told the network the new workers were from India.

:

Canada’s temporary foreign worker program isn’t intended to replace Canadian employees with foreigners, Finley said. “When there are jobs available, Canadians must always be the first in line for opportunities from employers who are hiring.”

Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada responds:

"We have recently learned of allegations that RBC could be replacing Canadian workers by contracting with iGate, which is filling some of the roles with temporary foreign workers. If true, this situation is unacceptable.

"The purpose of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program is to fill acute labour needs when Canadians are not available for the work required. It was never intended as a means to bring in temporary foreign workers in order to replace already-employed Canadian workers.

"I have instructed my department to work with Citizenship and Immigration Canada to determine the next steps."

8632202775_35ef094864_b.jpg

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice article but that's what we want in peesai right? I totally agree that FTs are needed for jobs that locals dont want to do AT the correct price.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the vein remains critical, I shall add to it. The GTA has had for years been arguing over the development of the public transit system to better serve commuters. This is an area of weakness which Singapore excels in.

The subway and RTs continue to be overcrowded and way over loaded during peak hours. The difference though, from Singapore, is the conduct of the people. There is still restraint in standing in front of exit doors. People respect public space while in the train and don't do irritating things like playing music loudly from their mobile phones and not minding personal physical space. You have the odd one or two inconsiderate persons but 99% of commuters behave themselves. For a transport system with that level of human traffic, it is considered impressive. Certainly can't be compared to Japan's level of etiquette but good enough to notice and appreciate.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
RBC chief 'listening' after foreign worker controversy | Harper will 'bringing forward reforms' to temporary foreign worker program

CBC News Posted: Apr 11, 2013 1:26 PM ET Last Updated: Apr 11, 2013 4:56 PM ET

The head of the Royal Bank of Canada says the company should have been "more sensitive" to workers affected by their outsourcing arrangements and is promising "comparable job opportunities" within the bank, just days after a CBC News report on Canadians losing jobs to workers outside the country.

The letter from CEO and president Gord Nixon comes after CBC News reported in a Go Public feature that dozens of employees at Canada’s largest bank were losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers, who are in Canada to take over the work of their department.

Read the original CBC story about RBC's foreign replacement workers

In the letter released Thursday, Nixon said RBC is reviewing its relationships with suppliers and its policies "with a continued focus on Canadian jobs and prosperity, balancing our desire to be both a successful business and a leading corporate citizen."

The bank is taking out ads in newspapers across the country on Friday to apologize to any employee affected by "outsourcing." Nowhere in the letter does the CEO specifically mention foreign workers doing jobs in Canada.

"While we are compliant with the regulations, the debate has been about something else," Nixon wrote.

"The question for many people is not about doing only what the rules require —it's about doing what employees, clients, shareholders and Canadians expect of RBC. And that's something we take very much to heart."

Read Gord Nixon's Letter

"Despite our best efforts, we don't always meet everyone's expectations, and when we get it wrong, you are quick to tell us. You have my assurance that I'm listening."

A spokesperson for Minister of Human Resources and Skills Deveopment Diane Finley said in an emailed statement: "We think RBC has done the right thing by apologizing."

Harper says 'reforms' to program coming
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, taking questions Thursday afternoon at an event in Calgary, said that his government was "clear in the budget we recently tabled that we are going to be bringing forward reforms to the temporary foreign worker program."

Foreign Workers at CBC

The CBC has on occasion applied to HRSDC to hire individuals with specialized skills, on a short-term, freelance basis, for specific programs or projects.

In the past 12 months, the CBC has used six such freelancers.

Three U.S. commentators were used as analysts for golf and figure skating coverage. As well, three U.S. residents were hired for the CBC's production of the Canadian Country Music Awards to operate specialized equipment. They were brought in by a third party production company to produce the show for one weekend.

The CBC doesn't currently have any temporary foreign workers on our payroll.

"We are obviously concerned about some particular stories that have surfaced," Harper said.

"I'm not going to comment on those, but I can tell you we certainly have been looking into those and other cases like them and we will be in very short order bringing in a series of reforms that we have been developing to make sure this program is serving its purpose."

Harper went on to say that in Canada, particularly in a province like Alberta, there are some occupations dealing with "an absolute labour shortage and certain employers need to find workers from outside the country."

"But this is not supposed to have a purpose beyond that and we will make sure it is not used for purposes beyond that."

Canadian workers 'inundated' with job interviews
Apparently Nixon's promise to help those Canadian workers is coming to fruition. Dave Moreau, one of the Canadians affected by RBC's foreign worker hirings, sent an email to CBC on Thursday saying the public firestorm has benefited him and colleagues who were facing replacement.

"The results have been stupendous for all of us here at RBC," he wrote. "Our group is now being inundated with job interviews within the company."

Earlier this week, Moreau said he applied for 14 jobs within RBC and had been told he's not suited for two of them. He was waiting to hear back about the rest.

The foreign workers who are supposed to be taking over the RBC positions in Toronto are employed by a multinational outsourcing firm from India – iGATE Corp. – which has a contract to provide IT services. There is an "RBC Offshore Development Centre" in the iGATE facility in Bangalore.

In the CBC report, RBC spokeswoman Rina Cortese said several foreign workers from iGATE will be working in the bank’s Toronto offices until 2015. By then, she said, most of the work will be transferred abroad, but a few of the foreigners will remain indefinitely.

Bank claimed 'full compliance' with federal laws
However, it's against federal rules for any company to bring foreign workers into Canada temporarily if it will put citizens out of work.

“The rules are very clear. You cannot displace Canadians to hire people from abroad,” Immigration Minister Jason Kenney told CBC News Go Public.

RBC employee Dave Moreau says the temporary workers didn't appear to have any special skills. (CBC)

In response, the bank released a statement saying the employees were being outsourced for cost savings and efficiency.

“External suppliers with the right skills allow us to introduce new efficiencies, continually improve our service at reduced cost and reinvest in initiatives that enhance the client experience,” a statement from the bank read. “Agreements with our suppliers include strict controls and ongoing monitoring to ensure full compliance with all regulatory requirements.”

When Go Public asked whether the company had told federal authorities that Canadian jobs would end when iGATE temporary foreign workers were brought in to work, Go Public did not receive a direct answer.

iGATE's history
iGATE, a company with offices around the world, including Mississauga and Toronto, has been in trouble before over foreign worker hirings.

In 2008, the company paid $45,000 to settle charges by the U.S. Department of Justice for discriminating against American citizens. iGATE was advertising jobs in the U.S. for foreign workers — effectively saying Americans need not apply.

iGATE spokesman Prabhanjan Deshpande told CBC the company is operating within the law: "For any engagement requiring foreign workers, appropriate immigration applications are filed by iGATE and all work authorizations are properly issued under existing law and policy."

The company said its foreign workforce enter Canada through the federal government's temporary foreign worker program, and under intra-company transfer visas.

Moreau said the iGATE workers don’t appear to have any special skills not possessed by Canadians.

"The person who is replacing me has asked a lot of questions and doesn’t know a major portion of the type of systems that we are working with," said Moreau. .

Other RBC workers who spoke to CBC on condition of anonymity said they were not offered jobs with iGATE and were told the "realignment" might expand to affect more of the bank’s 57,500 employees in Canada.

“We were told this is almost like a pilot project,” one unnamed employee said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/04/11/rbc-foreign-workers-apology.html

Messi86

Hi all,

I am applying for PR under the Federal Skill Workers (FSW) path. If I do manage to get the PR down the road, does my spouse whom I have listed in my application, get the PR as well and we are able to go over together, or I would have to settle there first for a period of time and then sponsor her over?

Thanks!

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I am applying for PR under the Federal Skill Workers (FSW) path. If I do manage to get the PR down the road, does my spouse whom I have listed in my application, get the PR as well and we are able to go over together, or I would have to settle there first for a period of time and then sponsor her over?

Thanks!

Your spouse as a co-applicant will be a PR too.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Thanks!

If you as the primary applicant is approved for PR, she as a listed dependent would get the PR too (assuming she passes the background and medical checks).

Last edited:

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
After selling HDB and renounced S'pore citizenship, you have lump sum cash and money in CPF. How do you transfer CPF money and the cash from HDB's sale to
Canada? Will CRA query?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope that individual has answered the question on the T1 which is "Do you own any foreign property with a value of $100,000 or higher?" (not the exact words)

I assume that there should be no capital gains tax, either you claim it as your principal residence or that you declared it on the form when you "landed'

I do not have the experience, because I came here when I was relatively young, when I completed NS, and graduated from university, with only $1,500.00.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Use the money, open a HSBC Premier account in Singapore.
2. Get HSBC Singapore to open a Canada HSBC Checking and Savings account while you still in Singapore
3. Transferring monies between your Singapore HSBC account and Canada HSBC account is free as a premier account holder and you can transfer as much and as many times as you like all free of charge
4. Get HSBC Singapore to help you apply for a HSBC Canada Master Credit card before you land so you have a local credit card to use when you are here.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. Use the money, open a HSBC Premier account in Singapore.
2. Get HSBC Singapore to open a Canada HSBC Checking and Savings account while you still in Singapore
3. Transferring monies between your Singapore HSBC account and Canada HSBC account is free as a premier account holder and you can transfer as much and as many times as you like all free of charge
4. Get HSBC Singapore to help you apply for a HSBC Canada Master Credit card before you land so you have a local credit card to use when you are here.

The above are excellent steps for any individual who is about to emigrate from SG to Canada.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
After selling HDB and renounced S'pore citizenship, you have lump sum cash and money in CPF. How do you transfer CPF money and the cash from HDB's sale to
Canada? Will CRA query?

How much money are you talking about? (an estimate for the purpose of this discussion will do).

I have transferred sums of CAD$100,000 multiple times from a Singapore Bank (DBS, UOB etc) to a Canadian Bank without any issues. This does not concern CRA and CRA don't have to or even know about it. But, of course, if you invest the $100,000 and have investment income, then CRA will know about it. So as far as the transaction goes, Singapore Bank transfer money to Canadian Bank. CRA is not in the picture in this case.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How much money are you talking about? (an estimate for the purpose of this discussion will do).

I have transferred sums of CAD$100,000 multiple times from a Singapore Bank (DBS, UOB etc) to a Canadian Bank without any issues. This does not concern CRA and CRA don't have to or even know about it. But, of course, if you invest the $100,000 and have investment income, then CRA will know about it. So as far as the transaction goes, Singapore Bank transfer money to Canadian Bank. CRA is not in the picture in this case.

Don't you have to complete a form from the bank when your account receives or remits an amount greater than C$10k?

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
About $1M. Transfers of C$10,000 and above, Canadian banks need to inform govt.(CRA). And, you have transferred C$100K many times without any issue?

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
About $1M. Transfers of C$10,000 and above, Canadian banks need to inform govt.(CRA). And, you have transferred C$100K many times without any issue?

Where do you get this info about Canadian banks need to inform CRA? I have transfered C$100K many times without any issues. My last transfer was Feb 2013, no issue at all. I always do TT (telegraphic transfer, have use Bank Draft once and this is not bringing cash at the airport - bringing in cash at the airport would have to inform govt if exceed certain amount eg C$10,000).

So I'm interested in knowing what made you think Canadian banks has to inform CRA..