• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't be so sure.

Let's face it: most Singaporeans trying to migrate out of SG are likely not the type seeking to use the social safety net anyway. More likely than not, they tend to be educated, relatively young and white-collared and seeking career development. So, I think it is fair to say that for most such people, Canada is not a good place to go, unless they don't mind doing blue-collar jobs.

Do what the Hongkies are doing. They first get their Canadian citizenship. After their family has settled in Canda, the parent(s) goes back to work in HK.

If you are single then it should be simpler.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Oh yes. Okay. That's the correct name. Never had the onion rings. Only their standard eggs and toast and bacon breakfast sets.

Have you tried "Freshly Thai"? My Brampton buddies say it's pretty authentic.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you tried "Freshly Thai"? My Brampton buddies say it's pretty authentic.

The one along Main Street south of Queen Street, a few doors away from pizza place? Yes. Ate there often. And yes, bloody authentic. The burly Canadian Cantonese guy would recognize my usual when I used to dine there.

Their pho can't beat the pho near Ben Thanh Market in Thailand, but it's close enough to satisfy craving. If you're in the neighbourhood, give it a try.

Last edited:

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do what the Hongkies are doing. They first get their Canadian citizenship. After their family has settled in Canda, the parent(s) goes back to work in HK.

If you are single then it should be simpler.

Now now, hear hear.

This is the first INTELLIGENT post I have seen in this entire thread.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it funny that some have claimed that there many unsuccessful Sporeans going back to Spore:smile: I can truthfully say that I have never seen any of my ex-Sporeans friends who have moved to Canada returning to Spore. Had a neighbour who's kids did return. However they came back as Canadians & they were in the tourism line & wanted more work experience.

Just think about it. Those that are here know that it is very difficult to survive in Spore. There is ageism. The cost of living here is high & there is no end to the cheap foreigners coming to Spore. If you are in Canada your children get all sorts of benefits. Even if you are earning minimum wage it's better than what you have in Spore. Don't forget that your families health care will be taken care because poor people don't have to pay premiums. It's FREE.

After 5 years time you can apply for Canadian citizen then you can get their hands on their own CPF. Just imagine what you can do with all that $$$.

Canada is a big place & if anyone really has trouble finding a job they can always move to the other provinces right:confused: As a Canadian you are also allowed to work in the US. So why would anyone want to return to Spore:confused:

If it were only so simple and easy.....

But go on, think what you may.....much of it is wishful thinking on your part. It is well within your prerogative to think things are so easy and simple.

Oh, a correction though, the timeline is only 3 years instead of 5 years.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hey Bro, you deserve every credit and respect due you.

Like I said, I have been around long enough to know a crazily tough process when I see one. And the accrediting process for high end professionals like doctors lawyers etc in Canada is famed for being crazy tough. So even though my field does not require accrediting, I got a good sense from others on how tough it is.

I actually edited my post above to reflect that you went through the deal with a family, which I forgot to consider. Now, that just multiply the toughness by a couple of levels even.

So, don't be too humble lah. Time to go pat yourself on the back and take all the credit due you.

Credit is due where it is due. I respect you Bro.

You are on my hero status list.

I am no hero. If you want to find a hero, that would be my wife. She takes care of me and our 3 kids and runs a dayhome taking care of another 3 kids, and 2 students from china in our homestay, plus do the cooking and housework, walk the youngest back from kindergarten because the timing ends earlier than the other 2 kids.

She is my hero. Without her, we would not have made it in Canada.

So you are wrong about having a family making it difficult. It makes it easier if everyone is all on board working to make it good. Which brings me to another point about migration. It is hard to find both husband and wife committed to migration in the same way. Both have careers they are willing to give up and start all over again. Willing to get their hands dirty doing something most Singaporeans would look down on, although I despise that mindset because an honest living with good money is just that.

Honestly, despite our modest beginnings, we are already pretty well off financially just doing things that anybody if willing will be able to do in Edmonton. It is all a matter of whether you WANT to. But status and prestige and all that gets in the way so no sympathies from me.

If anything now my going to externship and then residency represents a 25% pay cut for me, added costs and more hardship.

I see no reason for anyone to congratulate me at this stage. I will be separated from my family for 2 years. Calgary may just be 2.5 hours drive away, but nevertheless I still need to rent a room there and be away from the kids and wife. Not ideal. But hey that's what I have to do, so I do it. As I said there is always a price to pay, am I willing to pay it? Yes. But still it has to be paid.

I do not like people threatening to sue others and all that. Reminds me of the behavior of one other forumer here in the past. Charlie99 was trying to highlight the tone of your post which did suggest that I had still not made it and thus was still a point for Time2evacuate to say that who knows maybe I won't get full licensure. So he is somewhat correct because I too saw it that way. But it doesn't bother me at all. My life has nothing to do with others. The more discouraging to others the better. In fact when I asked questions here ten years ago I asked for all the negative. ALL NEGATIVE. I did not seek any positives. Positives are easy. No one pays you to do easy. It's the difficult and problematic that you are paid for.

Time2evacuate is correct for the record that I have not attained full licensure. However the hardest step is in attaining a residency spot. Exams are easy and you can take it again and almost everyone passes eventually but being picked for residency is like landing a high paying white collar job that Time2evacuate says is so difficult to get which is true. Once in the system though, it's all up to you to work your way up.

The breakthrough so to speak.

So both Time2evacuate and Charlie99 are correct.

While time2evacuate says that he wants to highlight how difficult it is to migrate, I think the manner he has done so is misleading. Because he is targeting Canada. I think it is tough for immigrants in every country. Even Singapore. Different type of challenges different pros and cons.

To say USA is BETTER than Canada or Australia BETTER than Canada or Canada BETTER than Singapore......it's all perspective.

I have never said outright that Canada is better than Singapore. It depends on the individual to decide for himself/herself.

The fact is, it will take a lot of determination and hard work to be successful as an immigrant. Do what most people are not willing to do, is actually the "easiest" path to take.

Is there shame in failing? No, if you move on and start again. Success is never ending, failure is never final. However to blame other factors for your own failure is frivolous in my opinion. Change begins with me. It is easier to change myself than others. I cannot change the direction of the wind, but I can change the setting of my sail. I can even choose to use a boat that does not rely on the wind.

Good luck to everyone who wants to migrate. It will be a tough road regardless where you go. Every journey however begins with a single step. Be on your way and god bless.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am no hero. If you want to find a hero, that would be my wife. She takes care of me and our 3 kids and runs a dayhome taking care of another 3 kids, and 2 students from china in our homestay, plus do the cooking and housework, walk the youngest back from kindergarten because the timing ends earlier than the other 2 kids.

She is my hero. Without her, we would not have made it in Canada.

So you are wrong about having a family making it difficult. It makes it easier if everyone is all on board working to make it good. Which brings me to another point about migration. It is hard to find both husband and wife committed to migration in the same way. Both have careers they are willing to give up and start all over again. Willing to get their hands dirty doing something most Singaporeans would look down on, although I despise that mindset because an honest living with good money is just that.

Honestly, despite our modest beginnings, we are already pretty well off financially just doing things that anybody if willing will be able to do in Edmonton. It is all a matter of whether you WANT to. But status and prestige and all that gets in the way so no sympathies from me.

If anything now my going to externship and then residency represents a 25% pay cut for me, added costs and more hardship.

I see no reason for anyone to congratulate me at this stage. I will be separated from my family for 2 years. Calgary may just be 2.5 hours drive away, but nevertheless I still need to rent a room there and be away from the kids and wife. Not ideal. But hey that's what I have to do, so I do it. As I said there is always a price to pay, am I willing to pay it? Yes. But still it has to be paid.

I do not like people threatening to sue others and all that. Reminds me of the behavior of one other forumer here in the past. Charlie99 was trying to highlight the tone of your post which did suggest that I had still not made it and thus was still a point for Time2evacuate to say that who knows maybe I won't get full licensure. So he is somewhat correct because I too saw it that way. But it doesn't bother me at all. My life has nothing to do with others. The more discouraging to others the better. In fact when I asked questions here ten years ago I asked for all the negative. ALL NEGATIVE. I did not seek any positives. Positives are easy. No one pays you to do easy. It's the difficult and problematic that you are paid for.

Time2evacuate is correct for the record that I have not attained full licensure. However the hardest step is in attaining a residency spot. Exams are easy and you can take it again and almost everyone passes eventually but being picked for residency is like landing a high paying white collar job that Time2evacuate says is so difficult to get which is true. Once in the system though, it's all up to you to work your way up.

The breakthrough so to speak.

So both Time2evacuate and Charlie99 are correct.

While time2evacuate says that he wants to highlight how difficult it is to migrate, I think the manner he has done so is misleading. Because he is targeting Canada. I think it is tough for immigrants in every country. Even Singapore. Different type of challenges different pros and cons.

To say USA is BETTER than Canada or Australia BETTER than Canada or Canada BETTER than Singapore......it's all perspective.

I have never said outright that Canada is better than Singapore. It depends on the individual to decide for himself/herself.

The fact is, it will take a lot of determination and hard work to be successful as an immigrant. Do what most people are not willing to do, is actually the "easiest" path to take.

Is there shame in failing? No, if you move on and start again. Success is never ending, failure is never final. However to blame other factors for your own failure is frivolous in my opinion. Change begins with me. It is easier to change myself than others. I cannot change the direction of the wind, but I can change the setting of my sail. I can even choose to use a boat that does not rely on the wind.

Good luck to everyone who wants to migrate. It will be a tough road regardless where you go. Every journey however begins with a single step. Be on your way and god bless.

No need to be diplomatic lah.

Whether you have full licensure or not is a matter of FACT.

You either have full licensure as an MD, or you do not. It is a Boolean proposition.

Based on what you said in an earlier post, I stated that you still have yet to get full licensure. (By the way, that was not stated with intent to diss you, it was stated with intent to prove my point that it is hard to get established in Canada even for smart people).

And that Charlie69 person then took it out of context and made it an issue and accused me of stating an untrue fact about you. Normally I would let the matter slide, but that Charlie69 person was the one who initiated the litigious tone which I do not appreciate.

So, how can we both be right? You either got full licensure or you don't. Quite simple wah.

As for the question of whether it is easy or difficult to migrate to and settle in Canada, that is a matter of OPINION.

It is not a Boolean proposition, and different people can have different opinions.

My sincere opinion is that it is very difficult and others would likely be better off looking at other options or simply staying put in Singapore. What is wrong or misleading about this opinion?

And why is the opinion misleading because it targets Canada? This is a thread about Canada. What else is there to target other than for or against migration to Canada?

I don't understand why folks deemed it taboo when people lay out views about the downside of migrating to a particular place. It is a free world, isn't it?

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey good luck nayr69sg on your doctor thinghy. Good to know there are sinkees out there willing to stick their necks out. Is 69 your year of birth?

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone is entitled to say what they want.

Everyone is also entitled to their own opinion of what is said by others.

It is the consequences of what is said that matters and sometimes, it is better to be the silent fool, rather than open your mouth and confirm it.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for the question of whether it is easy or difficult to migrate to and settle in Canada, that is a matter of OPINION.

We welcome opinion backed up with facts, not with delusions. Most of the examples you had cited are totally of base, that one wonders if you were living in Nunavut.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hey good luck nayr69sg on your doctor thinghy. Good to know there are sinkees out there willing to stick their necks out. Is 69 your year of birth?

Thanks chupacabra. Think of my doctor thingy as how local Singapore graduate just finished medical school and becomes houseman. Basically that's what I'll be doing. Train with the Canadian fresh graduates. We work like fully licensed doctors although we carry a provisional practice permit.

69 is not my year of birth. I'm younger than that. :smile:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hello brother [nayr69sg],

One individual posted the following, amongst his post(s) about you:
"So, for him to be able to pull it off (actually, I think he said he is still in the process of getting fully licensed, even after some years there, so that should tell you something about how hard it is) especially with a family, it really says lots about his determination. My hats off to him man. It is never easy, and for people in his profession, it is even tougher by miles and miles and miles."

If my memory serves me well, you received the documents re: permanent residence for Canada about 4 to 5 years ago, but you and your family have been in Edmonton, Alberta, for about 3 years.
You decided not to practise medicine, and within a very short time of arriving in Edmonton, you worked at a factory, and thereafter, went to work with some land development or land related company.
Recently (or was it last year?), you took the exams re: to be considered for a medical residency position.

With respect, for any individual to allege that after several years, you are still in the process of trying to be fully licensed, is untrue.

If I were you, I would defend vigorously, and rebut that individual.
Otherwise, you may choose to ignore the said allegation.

Actually I have only been in Canada for 2.5 years. I settled in Aug 2010. Took me some time to get my credentials source verified from NUS. I was allowed to take the first exam (MCCEE) in Nov 2011. The next earliest exam for the MCCQE1 was in May 2012. Registration to AIMGP opened June 2012. The NAC OSCE exam was held in September 2012. The MMI exam in Nov 2012. Carms opened Dec 2012. My interview with U of Calgary was Feb 2013. So effectively I did not "try" for several years. It was about just over a year.

Is it difficult? YES! Make no mistake about that. Most people do try several years. And most never make it.

Is it a Boolean proposition? Depends how you interpret Charlie99's allegation.

With regards to "fully licensed", I think it is really a technicality. Look at say a Singapore NUS medical graduate who has finished medical school and is now doing his residency. (Singapore has started following the US residency system to accomodate Duke-NUS Medical). Many of these Singapore residents will work in the hospitals just like other doctors, do the work, see patients, perform surgeries and procedures but they will have a different practicing license. Not full yet. But seriously, would you consider that they have not become doctors?

Perhaps I was too humble in my account. But essentially, I'm in the system already. You can consider it that I am a doctor in Canada now.

An analogy would be someone landing a position as an investment banker with Goldman Sachs. He might not be a big time investment banker yet but hey he's got into GS!

Sorry lah I am not in finance so I don't really know if that analogy works. I know Charlie99's spouse is in healthcare so he understand this point about "full licensure" better. But I don't blame time2evacuate either because he does not understand the pathway for doctors.

Actually I have learned that had I completed my training either in surgery or family medicine in Singapore, I could have applied for waivers and would probably be able to practice from the get go. But this rule changed after I had applied for PR. So it might not be so difficult for Singapore doctors after all. They might want to apply for jobs and see where that goes. But well passive aggressive...USA better.....Canada sky high prices.....that's Time2evacuate's account of his time in Canada. Respect that, but also know that not everyone shares his opinion. Whether time2evacuate respects other's positive opinions about Canada, it may not be so evident to others but I think he has shown that he respects mine.

Cheers to everyone!

PS: I am typing this entry from Calgary. My new journey has begun! :smile: