• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was there 3 years ago. The weather is similar to Auckland and it is indeed a charming city with a vibrant cafe scene.

the high density of cafe's, especially starbucks, within any city block is actually a turn-off for me. i'm ok with locally owned cafe's. they are unique and have character, even though they may not be smoothly run. the starbucks saturation/domination in vancouver is spoiling the cafe scene, in my opinion, although i'm a gold member and fan. blenz is a great alternative. great coffee and more room with less customers.

the main downside to vancouver is rapid urbanization with highrises in an extremely dangerous seismic region. there was a 9.0 earthquake in the oceanic subduction zone nearby 700 years ago, and it will happen again. question is when. shudder at the thought if it happens within this decade and produces a devastating tsunami. both victoria and vancouver will be wiped clean.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vancouver is not so much little red dot, but more like a playground and retirement home of above average hongkies. yes, they are snobs. and even though many vancouver chinese are from the upper middle income and wealthy class, they behave like sinkie peasants, always comparing, calculating, and complaining. it's not solely a sinkie trait, it's a chinese trait. it has to do with the 5 c's of chinese culture: conniving, comparing, calculating, complaining, and congregating (or concentrating). :p

Looks like Hongkies are themselves locusts in BC.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like Hongkies are themselves locusts in BC.

When rich Hongkies started moving to Vancouver prior to 1999, they angered many old time Vancouverites by buying old properties & demolishing them to build bigger homes. This is common in Spore but Canadians like to preserve their old buildings :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When rich Hongkies started moving to Vancouver prior to 1999, they angered many old time Vancouverites by buying old properties & demolishing them to build bigger homes. This is common in Spore but Canadians like to preserve their old buildings :smile:

East-West Crash.

It is a bit silly. Those megahouses take a lot of power to heat, unless they are heated by underfloor pipe heating supplied by solar water heating.

But of course, the mayor of Vancouver very happy with HK donations. He even declare 1 June 2008 as Fei Fei Day, proclaimation made in Vancouver, BC. after the death of Lydia Sum.

One HK fellow I know is downgrading from a 3-storey house to a single storey (probably a Vancouverite sized house) - too old to climb steps and bad financial planning in the past.

To build a lift in the house is costly, and you need a electrical room, proper insulated so that the people in the next room do not get fried whenever the lift is in operation. :biggrin:

Many westerners also tend to find Asian way of reasoning, using induction, to be a fallacious form of reasoning that leads to conclusions that cannot be supported.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

One HK fellow I know is downgrading from a 3-storey house to a single storey (probably a Vancouverite sized house) - too old to climb steps and bad financial planning in the past.

To build a lift in the house is costly, and you need a electrical room, proper insulated so that the people in the next room do not get fried whenever the lift is in operation. :biggrin:

Many westerners also tend to find Asian way of reasoning, using induction, to be a fallacious form of reasoning that leads to conclusions that cannot be supported.

Know someone who left Spore to settle there & ended up with 7 kids:eek: Something you won't find in Spore :biggrin:. The home he bought in Vancouver was certainly big enough for his his large family.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I watched a bit of one episode before. I didn't realize they were in Edmonton!

How long have you been in Canada and Vancouver?

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I watched a bit of one episode before. I didn't realize they were in Edmonton!

How long have you been in Canada and Vancouver?

I've been in Vancouver for about 2.5 years. Feels like a long time because much has happened.

I have a colleague who is from Edmonton, so she tells me about the city now and then.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll be frank. I am not too sure about this route. But I do have 2 mexican colleagues who have been working at the windows factory I am working at and have just applied for their LMO in preparation for their PR application. I suppose there is a chance they might get their PRs? They have been working at the factory for about 2 years now and are still on work permits.

I will keep posted here the progress of their application.

Hi nayr69sg, did your Mexican colleagues manage to apply for PR with their LMO?

(Please accept my apologies for pulling out such an old post)

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hi nayr69sg, did your Mexican colleagues manage to apply for PR with their LMO?

(Please accept my apologies for pulling out such an old post)

Sorry I don't know that process. LMO seems to be more for their work permit.

When it comes to their PR it is about sponsorship by their employer. But I am not sure.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the temporary foreign worker obtains a LMO work permit for a high-skilled position, they may qualify for arranged employment under the Federal Skilled Worker class.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If the temporary foreign worker obtains a LMO work permit for a high-skilled position, they may qualify for arranged employment under the Federal Skilled Worker class.

There are ways around this by declaring a position "more skilled" than what it really is. That's what my mexican ex-colleagues told me they did it. It is quite subjective when you determine a technician/craftsman and a general laborer.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are ways around this by declaring a position "more skilled" than what it really is. That's what my mexican ex-colleagues told me they did it. It is quite subjective when you determine a technician/craftsman and a general laborer.

Since April 2011, Service Canada will randomly select employers for compliance review. If they are found to be non-compliant with the conditions of the job offer declared, the employer may be black-listed.

Without trying to offend anyone, I think a lot of things now are becoming harder precisely because many people abused the system and took Canadians for a ride.

I can't change the mentality of other nationalities, but I'd like to believe that Singaporeans have the integrity and honesty to be better than that.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Since April 2011, Service Canada will randomly select employers for compliance review. If they are found to be non-compliant with the conditions of the job offer declared, the employer may be black-listed.

Without trying to offend anyone, I think a lot of things now are becoming harder precisely because many people abused the system and took Canadians for a ride.

I can't change the mentality of other nationalities, but I'd like to believe that Singaporeans have the integrity and honesty to be better than that.

Your assumption is that the Mexicans are not qualified for higher jobs? One was a graphic designer and did do advertising pamphlets and brochures for the company along with her general laborer duties. The other is a skilled homebuilder/carpenter. They were doing jobs and duties that was higher than what they were paid for. As was I.

If you are hungry enough, and there are people willing to give you a chance, you will take it. My belief is that Singaporeans are not so hungry. They prefer to have an easy route ahead for them. To each his own. The way I looked at it, it was a win-win situation for both the company and the workers. Don't forget, the employer is under no obligations or advantage to nominate and sponsor for PR. Once they get PR they can leave for any other job. Yet amazingly, the Canadian employer helped. As it is one of them went into business with the manager and are developing holiday villas in Mexico.

I don't think you will ever see a Singaporean big boss make friends with a Bangladeshi low wage worker much less go into business with them. I was pretty surprised at the graciousness they had.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I read your previous post correctly, you had stated that your ex-colleagues had declared their job as being "more skilled" than what it really was.

I wasn't making any assumption that your ex-colleagues were not qualified for the high-skilled jobs. My statement was that if they were not performing the job and getting the wages which their employer had told Service Canada in order to get the LMO, they (employer and workers) are defrauding the system.

The employer will help, because he's getting cheap labour. The worker is hungry and prepared to work for less, because he wants that PR status. That doesn't change the fact that they defrauded the system.

Service Canada officers now take the default view that foreign workers are untruthful. Young Canadians are finding it tough to get jobs because employers can get cheap labour. Isn't this what is happening in Singapore.

I know when it comes to survival, one can justify pushing aside integrity and honesty. I get that.

What I'm saying is that people who come into the system later suffer because of the abuses by the people who went before them.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If I read your previous post correctly, you had stated that your ex-colleagues had declared their job as being "more skilled" than what it really was.

I wasn't making any assumption that your ex-colleagues were not qualified for the high-skilled jobs. My statement was that if they were not performing the job and getting the wages which their employer had told Service Canada in order to get the LMO, they (employer and workers) are defrauding the system.

The employer will help, because he's getting cheap labour. The worker is hungry and prepared to work for less, because he wants that PR status. That doesn't change the fact that they defrauded the system.

Service Canada officers now take the default view that foreign workers are untruthful. Young Canadians are finding it tough to get jobs because employers can get cheap labour. Isn't this what is happening in Singapore.

I know when it comes to survival, one can justify pushing aside integrity and honesty. I get that.

What I'm saying is that people who come into the system later suffer because of the abuses by the people who went before them.

I see where you are coming from. I would agree with you on that point. Defrauding is not right.

However specifically as to my Mexican colleagues case, the position she mentioned that they applied for her sounded very much like what she was doing, just that it was on the list of skills wanted. The devil is in the details.

Anyway I am not very impressed with Service Canada. I don't think they are aggressive enough. Maybe they have changed their tone. But to a certain extent you are only as good as who you hire. Personally, I am too honest and value integrity and want my conscience clear. Some have said it is better to be "street smart". I do not condone that kind of attitude.

At the end of the day I want to have lived my life with my conscience clear and answerable to God. Having said that I think the schemes in place for immigrants are pretty woeful anyway.

Even for us, imagine I applied as a medical doctor, they gave me PR but I cannot practice. What do you expect us to do? I have to find a way somehow. As for these temp workers with possible sponsorship, do we really expect that it is meant for the super high income earners who will come to Canada to fill positions local do not want?

Well starstar asked a pretty specific question. But Singaporeans are too honest and have too much integrity to do that kind of thing lah hor?:wink:

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a lot of ways to immigrate and I'm looking at a few options, they are legal though. I had read some of your posts and must agreed that you're candid.

Singaporeans are not necessarily honest but there is one thing to be sure, Singaporeans like their immigration path to be smooth and the future life in their new country to be the same as present if not better, and best of all, to be spoon-fed. Immigration is not for everyone, it is not simply a change of country nor environment, it's a change of everything including career and lifestyle. It will (not might) not be better, it will be getting out of comfort zone nad possibly living a hard life.

I'm prepared to do that and besides the normal 4-5 years waiting via off-shore PR application, there are routes such as provincial nomination.

Valor123

How is the chance for employment in Canada now?
I've been having difficulty getting employed and hence returned to SG.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal

Generally speaking, I believe that it's easier to find work in Asia (Singapore) than in Canada.

From my limited experience, anyone who just applies with a resume does not stand a very good chance. As with anywhere else in the world, it helps a huge lot if you know someone in the company who's prepared to recommend you for the position.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Which city did you try looking for a job in? How long did you try?

It took me 1 month to land a job after I moved to Edmonton. I used to be a medical doctor and had no other working experience. Macdonald's didn't want me. I never heard from medical related jobs like lab tech, medical clinic receptionist, hospital respiratory medicine tech, etc etc.

My first job was as a general laborer assembling PVC window jambs, brickmold, slope sills, J-trims etc. I was very lucky I got the job. I had no referral whatsoever. Later before I left for my current job I recommended a Malaysian ex-accountant who did his first year carpentry tradesman qualifications. He got the job.

Yes having someone to recommend you is very very very useful. It also depends what kind of skill set you have. Sometimes the more qualified you are the more difficult it is because of regulations and too narrow a field to recommend to.

I do find that accountants and engineers should not have much problem getting in as long as they have lobang to recommend. They can work in the field without the Canadian qualifications, just can't sign off on certain documents.

For doctors out there, fat chance of working in the medical field without the Canada qualifications.

Last edited: