• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: nothing else

Singapore in her relentless pursuit for strong economic growth year after year has not really made its people happy. In order to overtake Hong Kong, she has to hit a population target of 7 million.

With over 5 million people squeezing in this small island, I can hardly breathe. Let's see what our state's papers got to say on this report.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Singapore in her relentless pursuit for strong economic growth year after year has not really made its people happy. In order to overtake Hong Kong, she has to hit a population target of 7 million.

With over 5 million people squeezing in this small island, I can hardly breathe. Let's see what our state's papers got to say on this report.

It's a no win situation. Without the population increase, the economy might have seriously tanked during the economic crisis and higher jobless rates, suicides, depression, flight of investments etc.

There is something that cannot be created in Singapore. Ground space. It will be interesting to see if Singapore can sustain its growth in population and economy for the next 100 years. A city full of skyscrapers will be something to behold.

Marielle

Hi folks,

I am Singapore PR, and thinking of emigrating in Canada.... Can you list CPF as an asset in the Canada forms? any help would be appreciated. By right this should be our savings and can be liquidated at any time you want to renounce your PR right?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Hi folks,

I am Singapore PR, and thinking of emigrating in Canada.... Can you list CPF as an asset in the Canada forms? any help would be appreciated. By right this should be our savings and can be liquidated at any time you want to renounce your PR right?

Which immigration program are you applying under?

Investor?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/investors/index.asp

The Immigrant Investor Program seeks experienced business people to invest C$800,000 into Canada’s economy and become permanent residents. Investors must:

show that they have business experience
have a minimum net worth of C$1,600,000 that was obtained legally and
make a C$800,000 investment.

Your investment is managed by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and is guaranteed by the Canadian provinces that use it to create jobs and help their economies grow.

If your application is approved, you must make your investment before a permanent resident visa will be issued. You must usually do this within 30 days. The visa office will send you a letter with instructions. Learn more about making your investment.

CIC will return your C$800,000 investment, without interest, about five years and two months after payment.

I suppose CPF at the very least can be counted as "non-current asset" under your net worth calculations.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think net worth is a deal breaker when applying under the other categories.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi folks,

Unfortunately no and I agree with nayr69sg. It is only your money when it is in your pocket.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But because it was Xmas eve and with many staff on holiday leave, the test would most likely be done first thing in the morning. Blood test confirmed he had a heart attack. In late Jan, doctors told us his kidneys were failing and in early March he was on dialysis

I remember having one of my steel plates removed around Xmas time decades ago. Back then they gave me a private room because they were trying to squeeze as many patients into as few wards as possible to allow staff to take leave for the Xmas holidays. When I started bleeding the nurses thought it was serious enough to page the doctor:eek: When he visited me in the ward he was dressed in a suite. It was obvious that he was attending a party:o

Have plenty of respect for the doctors in Edmonton :smile: If you have elderly parents Canada is a good place for them because senior citizens are treated with respect. Unfortunately can't say the same for Spore:(

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see that you are still trying to scare Sporeans from emigrating to Canada:biggrin:

Well I've had the bad luck to have been hospitalised in both Canada & Spore, and I can tell you that the Canadian health care system is superb when compare to Spore. In Spore there are plenty of "inexperienced" staff from the 3rd world like india, philippines, China, etc. I think they are called nursing aids in Spore:confused: The filipino nurses(naturalised Canadians) that I met in Canada were qualified nurses. One of my physio therapist was a male nurse from Hong Kong who upgraded himself to a Physio Therapist.

My Spore experience left me much poorer because even though I had more than enough CPF to cover my medical bills, I couldn't touch my own money. I had to pay most of the expenses out of my own pocket because the PAP has rationed medical care in Spore:mad: I even had to pay for oxygen:eek: In Canada my medical ran up to a 6 figure amount. I know because they sent me the bill to verify that I received the treatment. However I only had to pay less than two hundred dollars for the ambulance ride & admission fee:eek: That's what I call a good deal:wink:

Dirty Hospitals put Canadians at Risk

The Canadian Press
March 10, 2012

The health of hospitalized Canadians and their visitors is being seriously put at risk by hospitals that have cut corners in cleaning budgets to save money, a Market place investigation has revealed.

The program took hidden cameras inside 11 hospitals in Ontario and British Columbia. What they found in many of them were surprisingly inadequate cleaning regimens – in short, dirty hospitals that could make you sick.

In many hospitals, Market place staffers applied a harmless gel to places that many people would touch – hand rails, door handles, light switches, elevator buttons.

The gel glows when seen under an ultra-violet light. But most of the time – and this was true in every hospital where Marketplace carried out gel tests – the gel was still there more than 24 hours later, meaning the surfaces had not been cleaned at all.

The program talked to cleaners, supervisors, nurses, doctors, and hospital administrators to get a handle on what has become a major problem at Canadian health-care facilities – a shocking number of hospital-acquired infections.

About 250,000 Canadians come down with life-threatening infections while in hospitals every year. That’s the highest rate in the developed world. As many as 12,000 people a year die.

Gary Bell was admitted to Niagara General Hospital for treatment of pancreatitis in 2011. While there, he contracted C. difficile and never recovered. He was admitted to Niagara General Hospital for treatment of pancreatitis. The 63-year-old retired school teacher contracted C. difficile – a life-threatening superbug that is all too common in Canadian hospitals. It ended up playing a role in his death a few months later.

Denise Ball remembers the cleaning regimen in her husband's room was less than adequate, saying the cleaners would spend only 10 minutes on a room everyone knew was infected with C. difficile. She says a proper cleaning would have taken much longer.

Time and again, hospital insiders told Marketplace that cleaners were being asked to do more with less.

"We used to have one person to one wing of a hospital to clean," one cleaner said. "Now, we have three floors to clean."

A cleaning supervisor at one hospital told Marketplace host Erica Johnson that it's "common practice" for cleaners not to change the cleaning solution in the bucket when mopping up. "They just don't have the time," the supervisor said.

Sometimes there aren't enough cleaning supplies. A nurse, whose identity Marketplace protected, said she's seen a cleaner mopping common areas after having mopped the rooms of infected patients because she didn't have enough mops to change. "She's just cross-contaminated the whole area, so there's no area that was actually clean."

Sometimes, only one cleaner would be on staff in an entire hospital during night shifts. "That kind of day-night difference is very common, and it makes no sense," says Dr. Michael Gardam, an infectious disease expert at the University Health Network in Vancouver.

It's not like we haven't seen the devastating results of hospital-acquired illness. Newscasts and newspapers have been filled with stories of hospitals under quarantine because of C. difficile outbreaks. In the last decade, outbreaks have hit hospitals in most provinces. A huge outbreak in 2003 and 2004 led to as many as 2,000 deaths in Quebec.

There's something else that some observers think is helping to drive the pressure to skimp on cleaning. In Ontario and British Columbia, for example, hospitals are given bonuses for turning over beds quickly – hundreds of extra dollars each time a hospital gets a patient out of a room before a certain time.

"They just don't get it," says Denise Ball. "And maybe until one of their loved ones that went in healthy and … a few months later ... they're going to their grave. Maybe that's what will wake them up."

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. Been in Canada for 3 years now.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vancouver is one of the most beautiful and livable cities on this planet, but one must have mullah to live there. median home price is usd750k, and most luxury condos built in the last 5 years cost over usd1.6m. just spent a week in bc, and am contemplating having a vacation home near squamish. not too far from blackcomb-whistler for winter sports and not far from vancouver for city life. food is great, people are courteous and friendly.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
vancouver is one of the most beautiful and livable cities on this planet, but one must have mullah to live there.

I was there 3 years ago. The weather is similar to Auckland and it is indeed a charming city with a vibrant cafe scene.

However, what put me off were the parking charges. We went to a park on the outskirts of the city and found that metered parking was operating till 10 pm. This reminded me too much of the Singapore I got away from.

In Auckland, apart from the downtown area, parking is free pretty much everywhere. There are places where it is time limited but that's about it.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I was there 3 years ago. The weather is similar to Auckland and it is indeed a charming city with a vibrant cafe scene.

However, what put me off were the parking charges. We went to a park on the outskirts of the city and found that metered parking was operating till 10 pm. This reminded me too much of the Singapore I got away from.

In Auckland, apart from the downtown area, parking is free pretty much everywhere. There are places where it is time limited but that's about it.

There were so many things about Vancouver that reminded me of Singapore I was totally turned off by it frankly. If I had not gone to Edmonton in 2008 and only visited Vancouver I probably would not have moved to Canada. The impression Vancouver gave me was very poor. Expensive parking. Expensive homes. Richmond was like a 'Singapore' or 'Hong Kong' totally dominated by Chinese. Rude drivers. Driver who don't give way. Horn at pedestrians. People walking fast on the streets, scolding you if you walk slowly.

I would never move to Vancouver.

Edmonton on the other hand was everything Vancouver wasn't.

Last edited:

Raphael85

Alfrescian
Loyal
There were so many things about Vancouver that reminded me of Singapore I was totally turned off by it frankly. If I had not gone to Edmonton in 2008 and only visited Vancouver I probably would not have moved to Canada. The impression Vancouver gave me was very poor. Expensive parking. Expensive homes. Richmond was like a 'Singapore' or 'Hong Kong' totally dominated by Chinese. Rude drivers. Driver who don't give way. Horn at pedestrians. People walking fast on the streets, scolding you if you walk slowly.

I would never move to Vancouver.

Thanks for the heads-up. Any place that reminds me of little dot, i am giving it a pass no matter how great the environment is. I would probably visit the beautiful scenery of Vancouver using one of the guided tours. The snow-capped mountains of the Rockies and Banff National Park look spectacular though.

Raphael85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Banff-National-Park.jpg How's that view from Banff National Park? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks for the heads-up. Any place that reminds me of little dot, i am giving it a pass no matter how great the environment is. I would probably visit the beautiful scenery of Vancouver using one of the guided tours. The snow-capped mountains of the Rockies and Banff National Park look spectacular though.

Look for cities with populations of not more than 1.5 million. You then get to enjoy the convenience of city living without the downsides caused by overcrowding.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

vancouver is an extremely expensive city to live and drive in, no doubt. the city is encouraging the use of public transport and discouraging use of private cars. the problem is any monetary disincentives will not deter the wealthy from owning and using their cars. easily on any given day, one can spot a dozen lambos, a couple of ferraris, several maseratis, hundreds of porches, and thousands of mercs and audis on city streets. the place is overflowing with wealth. and the city is planning to increase the population from 2.5m to 5m. the rumor is that she may be home to nuclear refugees from japan.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

vancouver is not so much little red dot, but more like a playground and retirement home of above average hongkies. yes, they are snobs. and even though many vancouver chinese are from the upper middle income and wealthy class, they behave like sinkie peasants, always comparing, calculating, and complaining. it's not solely a sinkie trait, it's a chinese trait. it has to do with the 5 c's of chinese culture: conniving, comparing, calculating, complaining, and congregating (or concentrating). :p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Richmond was like a 'Singapore' or 'Hong Kong' totally dominated by Chinese......

i stayed away from richmond. as a visitor, there was nothing to see there. the tour guide mentioned about it as an expensive enclave, but would rather show old "abandoned" historic chinatown than the new. other parts of vancouver are lovely, when chinese don't dominate.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
View attachment 4883 How's that view from Banff National Park? :biggrin:

Banff is actually in Alberta. It is an hour or so drive from Calgary. About 4 hours from Edmonton. Jasper is also in Alberta.

As for the weather, from what I understand it rains a lot in Vancouver. The snow is wet snow which melts and then refreezes forming black ice.

You won't understand it, but having temperatures below zero throughout the day when it snows is actually better for avoiding black ice formation which is very dangerous for driving and walking.

The snow is like powder when it falls in temperatures <-10 degrees. I like that. The wet snow that we get in spring where temperatures are around -5 to +5 sucks. Apparently that's the kind of snow Vancouver gets, if not they get freezing rain.

Frankly, besides the fact that it has an international airport, thus avoiding internal flights on Air Canada or Westjet, I don't see why people would choose Vancouver over other Canadian Cities.

Vancouver taxes are higher. GST +HST. Alberta only has GST (5%), no provincial tax.
Vancouver property prices are way higher.

And as Sam and EatSAD said, it is a playground for the rich Asians. Sounds familiar?

It is often said that the immigrants who go to Vancouver and Toronto are different in mindset from the ones who go to Calgary and Alberta. It can be seen in the voting trends in elections. The former support liberal parties, while the latter are Progressive Conservative stalwarts.

Somehow Vancouver reeked of hubris so familiar. I have not been to Toronto, but I gather any congregation of Asians won't be too far off from what Singapore is. I suppose for those who like familiar, they will go to Vancouver and Toronto.