• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I know do you guys have to go through interview with the Canada Immigration? Is yes, is it before or after your medical check ups?

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beep! Beep! I just received my letter for medical checkup and my
interview is waived. Am I there already?

http://www.mls.ca/splash.aspx

How come most of the houses for sale are damned old - some
before WWII? There are very few new houses(2 to 3 years) for sale.
Is it feasible to buy a piece of land and build a house on it? How is the property market for Edmonton and Calgary? Still piping hot?
Property agent get 1% commission like in Singapore?

There is a severe lack of accommodations in Fort McMurray, where
the oil sands is situated. I know the property price over there is
a bit crazy. Is building a hostel for the workers feasible? What kind of
amount $$ are we looking at?

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want newer homes goto the agency websites eg, Royal Lepage, Codwell Banker or Century 21 etc. Or goto the realtors' websites. Or those private sales websites. You know the level of maturity of some Sinkees thus I won't posted their websites.If you want new house, goto the builders websites You just have to google.
If you got money it is feasible to buy your own land and build your own dream home. Bear in mind, who is going to build and pay for the road and utilities lines(gas electric water) to your house???
As far as I know, property agents get approx 7% for the first $100k and 2-5% for the next 100K and then the next 100k
Building a hostel in Fort Mac?? As I said before, if you got money it is feasible. Are you willing to compete with the oil companies for trades people to build your building???Do you know how much construction workers are paid in Fort Mac??Certainly not the same level abang Cheena or adik Bangla are earning in Spore. Building supplies have to be haul up there from Edmonton by semi trailers Are you willing to pay the freight charges?

Is it feasible to buy a piece of land and build a house on it? How is the property market for Edmonton and Calgary? Still piping hot?

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Which city are you refering to "damned old" ? The edmonton and Calgary Property market are climbing out of the recession. Buyer do not pay any commission while seller have to pay 7% for 1st 100K, 3.5% for the next 100K (market rate - but i never pay market rate)

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Hock,

I believe you're on the home stretch pending the result of your (and yours) medicals. Now do note that the COPR may take upto to 3 months after the submission of medicals to be issued BUT, the validity is upto 12mths from the medicals date.

Well, I do noticed that properties in Northern Edmonton are older than those in the South. However, they still look quite pretty (online) and appear to be in liveable condition and lower priced.

Fort McMurray is boomtown charlie now. Hence, all things being equal, you can expect to pay a premium for almost everything there.

Good luck!

whistler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which city are you refering to "damned old" ? The edmonton and Calgary Property market are climbing out of the recession. Buyer do not pay any commission while seller have to pay 7% for 1st 100K, 3.5% for the next 100K (market rate - but i never pay market rate)

Asychee.....i like your style......:smile:

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8206505

Built in 1950..............59 years!!

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8036456

Built in 1912......... 97 years!!!! This one probably needs new support beams.:biggrin:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8546396

Built in 1920........89 years!!!!

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8534836

Built in 1916...........93 years!!!!

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8631407

Built in 1913....96 years!!!!

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=8555416

Anothe one built in 1913!!!!!

Is it very expensive to demolish and build a new house?

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want newer homes goto the agency websites eg, Royal Lepage, Codwell Banker or Century 21 etc. Or goto the realtors' websites. Or those private sales websites. You know the level of maturity of some Sinkees thus I won't posted their websites.If you want new house, goto the builders websites You just have to google.
If you got money it is feasible to buy your own land and build your own dream home. Bear in mind, who is going to build and pay for the road and utilities lines(gas electric water) to your house???
As far as I know, property agents get approx 7% for the first $100k and 2-5% for the next 100K and then the next 100k
Building a hostel in Fort Mac?? As I said before, if you got money it is feasible. Are you willing to compete with the oil companies for trades people to build your building???Do you know how much construction workers are paid in Fort Mac??Certainly not the same level abang Cheena or adik Bangla are earning in Spore. Building supplies have to be haul up there from Edmonton by semi trailers Are you willing to pay the freight charges?

"As far as I know, property agents get approx 7% for the first $100k and 2-5% for the next 100K and then the next 100k"

Wow! It's very good to be a real estate agent in Canada. Do you need to
take the realtor exam to be a real estate agent?

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
"As far as I know, property agents get approx 7% for the first $100k and 2-5% for the next 100K and then the next 100k"

yes, just google it. I prefer to be a Real Estate Investor as i dont want my hands to be tied down by being a realtor

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Hock,

I believe you're on the home stretch pending the result of your (and yours) medicals. Now do note that the COPR may take upto to 3 months after the submission of medicals to be issued BUT, the validity is upto 12mths from the medicals date.

Well, I do noticed that properties in Northern Edmonton are older than those in the South. However, they still look quite pretty (online) and appear to be in liveable condition and lower priced.

Fort McMurray is boomtown charlie now. Hence, all things being equal, you can expect to pay a premium for almost everything there.

Good luck!

Yes, Edmonton has grown a lot since the the 2000. The area around my house was a farm only 5 years ago.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal

The realtors there are real pros. Really know their stuff unlike the ones in SG who are basically just salesman pretending to be pros.

Cheers.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
CIC requested a Canadian Police Certificate from me.
I spent 4 years in Canada for my tertiary education.
I need a set of my fingerprints done by the S'pore police,
and send it to the RCMP,Ottawa,for verification.

Does anyone has similar request and experience to share?
Thanks

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you are in HCMC, I find the medical checkup in IOM rather good. It's on the CIC approved list. You can also get your police clearance from Saigon Center at 65 Le Loi if you have not already done so.

Cheers

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are in HCMC, I find the medical checkup in IOM rather good. It's on the CIC approved list. You can also get your police clearance from Saigon Center at 65 Le Loi if you have not already done so.

Cheers

Thanks blueblobster. IOM noted; incidentally that's where I'm going for my
medical checkup soon. I have already got my S'pore Police Clearance Certificate.

I have tried to get a set of my fingerprints from the local Vietnamese police
for my Canadian Police Clearance Certificate, but was given a merry-go-round. A Vietnamese liasion police officer said that my request is very ununsual, as they only fingerprinted criminals:biggrin: If I insist, I can approach
the Justice Office for approval, then submit this approval to the Vietnamese
police for consideration...blah..blah..lengthy wait and lots of payments(on the
table and under the table).

So, in conclusion, it's better for me to go back to S'pore to get
my set of fingerprints from the S'pore Police for my Canadian
Police Clearance Certificate's application.

Last edited:

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks blueblobster. IOM noted; incidentally that's where I'm going for my
medical checkup soon. I have already got my S'pore Police Clearance Certificate.

I have tried to get a set of my fingerprints from the local Vietnamese police
for my Canadian Police Clearance Certificate, but was given a merry-go-round. A Vietnamese liasion police officer said that my request is very ununsual, as they only fingerprinted criminals:biggrin: If I insist, I can approach
the Justice Office for approval, then submit this approval to the Vietnamese
police for consideration...blah..blah..lengthy wait and lots of payments(on the
table and under the table).

So, in conclusion, it's better for me to go back to S'pore to get
my set of fingerprints from the S'pore Police for my Canadian
Polcie Clearance Certificate's application.

For the Vietnamese police clearance, you do not need to go to the local police at all. Those are clowns who will simply slow you down and make you poorer along the way. Just go to the Juridical Hall (can't remember the full name) and get it. Many foreigners obtained theirs' there. No fingerprints needed. Just fill in a form, pay up and return on a given date to collect. No bribes, no hassle. It's at the junction of Dien Bien Phu and Pasteur Street. Unless CIC changed the requirement and need fingerprints now.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the Vietnamese police clearance, you do not need to go to the local police at all. Those are clowns who will simply slow you down and make you poorer along the way. Just go to the Juridical Hall (can't remember the full name) and get it. Many foreigners obtained theirs' there. No fingerprints needed. Just fill in a form, pay up and return on a given date to collect. No bribes, no hassle. It's at the junction of Dien Bien Phu and Pasteur Street. Unless CIC changed the requirement and need fingerprints now.

I already have my Vietnamese police clearance certificate from the
Justice Office, situated near to the junction of Dien Bien Phu and
Pasteur Streets.

Now, I am applying for my Canadian police clearance certificate. And
I need a set of my fingerprints done by the local police to be submitted
to the RCMP, Ottawa, for checking.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
My fingerprints sent to RCMP,Ottawa, for checking. I have done my medicals.
Now wait for passport request...............3 months later?

Apply job and business opportunities online. Google for house/land in Calgary.
Everything seems so surreal.