• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
The requirement for getting a CEC is a 2 academic year to get the maximum 3 year work permit. Why risk it? You are not doing this for fun.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 36 and I intend to follow this CEC route cos it's recently announced that pre 26 Feb 2008 FSW applications will be void. Yes, I applied in Aug 2007 when my occupation was still on the list. Now i am not qualified. 5 years wait wasted.

I am thinking of taking a 2 yr dip course in edmonton's NAIT and to take the CEC route toward migration.

Do you think it's possible to have my wife and child accompany me when i am a student there? If i have enough finance to support them? Have you seen cases like this?

I just hope that upon completion of the 2 yr diploma, they won't scrap the CEC scheme.

Get the study permit. Then apply for spousal work permit when your wife and child comes to Canada. The visitor pass for Singaporeans in Canada lasts 6 months. When she is here apply online, that is quicker than from Singapore. As long as your child is below age 18, you do not need a study permit. Both will piggy back on your study permit.

If you are a Singaporean, you can really study, get my drift. Apply for a course that is 3 years but has a 2 year option under "fast track". Apply the permit under that course outline. You will be granted a 3 year study permit, more room to move. Then when you come into school, ask to change to the faster 2 year program. :smile: So you have 1 year as "margin for error".

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
After graduation, apply for PGWP. Get that 3 year WP. This is an open work permit means that you can get any job all over Canada without an LMO. BUT it must be under Type 0, A or B jobs. Look under this matrix. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/pdf/Matrix.pdf

Your wife can apply at the same time for the open work permit riding on your work permit. Expiry is the same. Your kid below 18 does not need though registration for school needs to present your WP.

After 1 year apply for CEC while still working. But you can now switch to any job even Type C jobs, or leave the job and shake leg for all they care, your obligations to CIC is done.

Follow the CEC process to the dot.

All on CIC web.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
After graduation, apply for PGWP. Get that 3 year WP. This is an open work permit means that you can get any job all over Canada without an LMO. BUT it must be under Type 0, A or B jobs. Look under this matrix. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/pdf/Matrix.pdf

Your wife can apply at the same time for the open work permit riding on your work permit. Expiry is the same. Your kid below 18 does not need though registration for school needs to present your WP.

After 1 year apply for CEC while still working. But you can now switch to any job even Type C jobs, or leave the job and shake leg for all they care, your obligations to CIC is done.

Follow the CEC process to the dot.

All on CIC web.

I can see why studying to get Canadian qualifications would be a good idea since it means you will have advantages when applying for a job as well.

As some have shared, getting the PR doesn't mean much when you come over and then cannot find a job and have to go back to Singapore.

There are pros and cons. One is certainty at the start but uncertainty as time goes on. The other is uncertainty at the beginning, but once that hurdle is cleared, more or less things will go through.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having the Canadian accredited papers don't mean much still but better than having Singapore qualifications or some other country. You still need recertification or whatever. Those with O or A level, diploma can get another diploma. Those with Bachelors, Ontario is your choice. Get a Masters in Ontario, after graduation you get a PR like a switch.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html

There are obligations to stay in Ontario.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard that there are some reasons for this. Some people entered Canada with bogus education credentials. This make Canadian companies distrust education credentials other than their own. There is quite a lot of education credential fraudsters all over. Singapore was an example of a victim of this kind of fraudsters. Don't need to ask from where, you and I know. A country where degree holders are so many walking on the streets.

Just in my school, guy claims he has CCNA. I was impressed, I don't have. Come to network troubleshooting, I need to tell him where the likely source of the network failure. Pffftt! CCNA my ass. Cisco Certified Network Associate. Dunno buy from where.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Heard that there are some reasons for this. Some people entered Canada with bogus education credentials. This make Canadian companies distrust education credentials other than their own. There is quite a lot of education credential fraudsters all over. Singapore was an example of a victim of this kind of fraudsters. Don't need to ask from where, you and I know. A country where degree holders are so many walking on the streets.

Just in my school, guy claims he has CCNA. I was impressed, I don't have. Come to network troubleshooting, I need to tell him where the likely source of the network failure. Pffftt! CCNA my ass. Cisco Certified Network Associate. Dunno buy from where.

Tell me about it! I've already passed the MCCEE and MCCQE1 exams and now they want me to take 2 more exams to just get recommended for a residency training position. The NAC-OSCE exam is like the exam residents take at the end of residency to show they are good enough to practice independently without supervision. But we have to take it BEFORE we enter residency. Hardly fair if you ask me.

But well if that's how they weed out fraudsters then so be it.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
nayr69sg,

You must know that the medical profession is a guild. They protect their kind. I am not going to criticise the medical profession on this but all round the world, it is guild. Just like financial brokers, last time, it is introduction, enter liao. Now you need to take so many exams to keep in the brokerage business. Singapore medical profession is almost similar.

So, Canadian doctors protecting themselves from the hordes of doctors from the most migratory nation in the world is their right. They have nothing against you, they have something against the largest group.

I am not too impressed with the number of fraud papers in some dubious universities from the most migratory nation in the world. Fair is relative. It is a kill all and let God sort them out policy. It is just too bad you are in the net trawled.

Just stick with it, their rules. If we need to jump through those hoops we do it for the sake of our future and our kids future.

Toronto is so farnie, most of the cabbies are PhD and Master's holders. From the middle east and India. Simply said they refused to get re-certification because it is a disgrace to them. Like their qualifications were bogus. I kept quiet in this conversation and let them blabber. After a few examinations in life, what is a few more. Just do it and contribute to society/workforce with their skills. Unless they want to hide that their papers were bogus. A lie will become a truth after a long time.

Take the exams. Knowing that you are trained in Singapore, you will be able to take anything thrown at you. Singapore interns are like concentration camps. You have survived that, you are already the top. My cousin and uncle are both doctors, about my age. Cousin is in A&E for almost 20 years. He can really take life & death decisions with a straight face. Uncle is an Ortho, helps me to get Dr. Tan Jee Lim to fix all my fractures. I am into high risk sports. Can't wait to hit Whistler after I get my health insurance card. :P

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
The requirement for getting a CEC is a 2 academic year to get the maximum 3 year work permit. Why risk it? You are not doing this for fun.

Hi googleplexes, you should have spent quite some time examining all options on the study route to immigration. I am impressed, thank you for pointing out the danger of the 1 year certification path as programs of 2 years or more are given the maximum 3-year visa.

I was looking at Saskatchewan INP though, initially looking at a 1-year certificate but I reckon it is too risky just to save 1 year of tuition fees.

I am considering taking up a two-year diploma with a few months of mandatory co-op, is there any thing I must look out for?

And also, did you recce the school before applying or did you jump straight into the school?

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have work experience, use that. Co-op still need you to get your own co-op, it does not mean they look for the co-op job for you. Unless you choose completely new profession, you choose a co-op. Co-op is for kids without any work experience.

I jumped in, it was my mistake. But since into this path, I just carried on.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have work experience, use that. Co-op still need you to get your own co-op, it does not mean they look for the co-op job for you. Unless you choose completely new profession, you choose a co-op. Co-op is for kids without any work experience.

I jumped in, it was my mistake. But since into this path, I just carried on.

Hi there, if given a chance for you to walk through it again, how would you have done it?

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
starstar. Since your family is with you, you can go for the co-op. I didn't take up co-op because I want to accelerate the process. A man being alone too long is no good. :P

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Jobs in the oil sands are in abundance. Learn a trade and stake out your future there.

Yup follow where the money is.

For example in Singapore the money is in finance. It is common to hear people in late twenties and early thirties to be making 5 figure incomes.

In Alberta the big money is in oil & gas (maybe not so much gas now as prices collapsed). The big thing now is pipelines. Without the pipelines to carry all the oil to markets, the oil in Alberta cannot be sold. The obstacles are the enviromentalists and activists.

Economics versus environment. Depends which side of the fence you are on.

silica

Alfrescian
Loyal
Get the study permit. Then apply for spousal work permit when your wife and child comes to Canada. The visitor pass for Singaporeans in Canada lasts 6 months. When she is here apply online, that is quicker than from Singapore. As long as your child is below age 18, you do not need a study permit. Both will piggy back on your study permit.

If you are a Singaporean, you can really study, get my drift. Apply for a course that is 3 years but has a 2 year option under "fast track". Apply the permit under that course outline. You will be granted a 3 year study permit, more room to move. Then when you come into school, ask to change to the faster 2 year program. :smile: So you have 1 year as "margin for error".

thanks googleplexes, I intend to go over together with my wife and kid. So while I'm on study permit, my family is on visitor pass?
I know when applying for study permit, there are provision for accompanying family, but I'm unsure abt the chances of approval.
Will apply for my whole family thru my study permit anyhow, if they reject my family then let them go over on visitor pass first.

I look thru cic website but can't find how long Singaporean can stay visa-free in Canada. Is it really 6 mths?

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ft McMurray also have a fair share of social problems a few years back. Don't know about the situation now. Drugs, prostitution, gang fights etc. People with too much money on their hands. A basement rental there is $2.2K now. You can rent a whole house in Markham, ON. An entry IT guy can earn 60 to 65K annually with car and gas allowances from the company servicing the worksites.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
starstar. Since your family is with you, you can go for the co-op. I didn't take up co-op because I want to accelerate the process. A man being alone too long is no good. :P

Hi googleplexes, I am still single and am really afraid of getting married and having kids in a country which function like a pressure-cooker.

I would like to direct some questions to people who are familiar with the oil and gas and possibly related industries too. Maybe nayr69sg can help or some other experts.

I am trained in IT and currently working in my family-owned small transport firm. Lost touch with IT nearly 4 years ago. I would like to learn a trade and get my hands dirty, something linked to IT maybe Instrumentation or Geomatics yet at the same time able to have a job to provide me with 3 meals a day and a roof over my head. At the age of 35 (intended age of entry for study), am I too old to learn a trade? By the time I graduate from any trade, I would be 37 and I am not sure employers would consider an apprentice that old.

Anyone familiar with Alberta or Saskatchewan's jobs outlook, could you recommend any job, careers or trades that would be where the money is. I would like to read up all of them and make a choice. Many thanks.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks googleplexes, I intend to go over together with my wife and kid. So while I'm on study permit, my family is on visitor pass?
I know when applying for study permit, there are provision for accompanying family, but I'm unsure abt the chances of approval.
Will apply for my whole family thru my study permit anyhow, if they reject my family then let them go over on visitor pass first.

I look thru cic website but can't find how long Singaporean can stay visa-free in Canada. Is it really 6 mths?

Unless your wife is was a criminal before, there is no way they will reject her application. Your study permit is given when all your papers are in order at the airport. Then in Canada, she needs to apply for the the spousal work permit online. For visa waiver countries, it is 6 months.