• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Siew Kum Hong OUSTED! Joscelin Yeo become new NMP!

limpeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the hell is going on???? Outspoken people are kicked out while an ex-swimmer with no record of speaking out for the people gets voted in!!!!??????? What's she gonna championed? Every girl should get compulsory swimming training??????

http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2009/07/nmp-results-are-out.html

NMP results are out
I received a notice from Parliament a couple of hours ago -- it was the Second Report of the Special Select Committee on Nominations for Appointment as Nominated Members of Parliament, which I've reproduced below. In short, I was not re-appointed, and the new NMPs (who will be sworn in on 20 July) are:

Mr Calvin Cheng Ern Lee
Mr Terry Lee Kok Hua
Mrs Mildred Tan-Sim Beng Mei
Assoc Prof Paulin Tay Straughan
Mr Teo Siong Seng
Mr Viswaroopan s/o Sadasivan
Mr Laurence Wee Yoke Thong
Ms Audrey Wong Wai Yen
Ms Joscelin Yeo Wei Ling

I am of course disappointed that I was not re-appointed; I felt and continue to feel that I could contribute meaningfully to Parliament for a second term, which is why I applied for it in the first place. Having said that, I am glad that I had the opportunity to serve, and I hope that I had contributed to Parliamentary debate (as the NMP scheme was intended to). Beyond that, it is really for Singaporeans to judge my time in Parliament for themselves.

I do want to make one point. There have been some who have said that I misconducted myself as an NMP during the AWARE episode, and/or that my involvement in AWARE was unwise. I am sure that they will say that again, now that the results of the NMP process are out.

I have said this before, and I will repeat it here: my involvement in AWARE was in my personal capacity and not as an NMP, and in any case I do not think that I did anything wrong, improper or inappropriate at all. Presumably, those who feel that I was unwise, thought so because of the adverse impact that my public involvement in AWARE would have on my chances for re-appointment.

Well, I would like to think that if I had not been re-appointed because of the AWARE incident, and I had known that things would turn out this way, I would still not have done anything differently.

From day one, I've promised myself that I would not say or do anything, or refrain from saying or doing anything, simply because it would or might affect my chances of a second term as an NMP if I wanted to re-apply. I felt that that would have defeated the purpose of being an NMP. I wanted to be true to myself, and I did not want to pull any punches. So just as I did not allow the possibility of offending the Government stop me from asking tough questions and making difficult points, I also did not allow the possibility of adverse publicity stop me from my involvement in civil society causes and organisations that I believed in.

So my answer to these folks who thought I was unwise, is that perhaps it reflects more on you and your readiness to compromise, than it does on me and my naivete. It is not that I did not think of the possible consequences of my actions; I was fully aware, and I consciously chose to do what I believed -- and continue to believe -- was the right thing.

Finally, I would like to wish the new NMPs all the best in their term, and hopefully they will enjoy their time in Parliament as much as I did!

SECOND REPORT OF THE SPECIAL SELECT COMMITTEE
ON NOMINATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT
AS NOMINATED MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT

The Special Select Committee, appointed pursuant to the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore to nominate persons for appointment by the President as nominated Members of Parliament, has agreed to the following Report:

Introduction

1 On 14 November 2006, Parliament resolved in accordance with the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore that there shall be nominated Members of Parliament during the term of the Eleventh Parliament. On 18 January 2007, the President, on the nomination of the Special Select Committee of Parliament, appointed nine persons as nominated Members of Parliament for a term of two and a half years. The term of service of the nine nominated Members of Parliament will expire on 17 July 2009 and, under section 4(1) of the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution, the vacancies that will arise shall be filled by the President by making appointments on the nomination of the Special Select Committee.

2 The Members of the Special Select Committee were nominated by the Committee of Selection, with Speaker as ex-officio Chairman. The Committee comprised the following:

Chairman: Mr Abdullah Tarmugi (Speaker)

Members:
Mrs Lim Hwee Hua
Mr Low Thia Khiang
Mr Mah Bow Tan
Mr Masagos Zulkifli BMM
Mr Michael Palmer
Mr Sam Tan Chin Siong
Mrs Josephine Teo

Invitation to the General Public to Submit Names of Persons for Consideration by the Committee

3 Under sections 2(1) and 2(2) of the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution, the Special Select Committee decided that an advertisement inviting the general public to submit names of persons for consideration by the Committee be inserted in the Lianhe Zaobao, Berita Harian, Tamil Murasu and The Straits Times on 6 April 2009. Publicity to the information was also given in a press release.

4 Submission of names was required to be made on forms obtainable at the office of the Clerk of Parliament. Each form had to be signed by a proposer and a seconder and by not less than four other persons, all of whose names shall appear in a current register of electors. The person to be proposed was also required to complete a curriculum vitae form in which, inter alia, he was required to write an essay on the kind of contribution he hoped to make as a nominated Member of Parliament and to submit written references from two referees sealed in separate envelopes to the Committee. The closing date for the submission of names was 11 May 2009.

Formation of Functional Groups

5 The Committee decided that it would continue the practice of inviting the six functional groups, namely, business and industry, labour, the professions, tertiary education institutions, social and community service organisations, and media, arts and sports organisations, to submit names of suitable candidates for the Special Select Committee to consider.

6 The names of the coordinators appointed by Mr Speaker for each functional group and an invitation to organisations identifying themselves with any of the functional groups to contact the coordinators to propose their nominees were publicised by the Committee in a press release issued on 5 April 2009.

Consideration of Persons Proposed

7 By the closing date, the Committee received a total of 46 proposal forms (including those from the functional groups) of which 3 did not satisfy the eligibility criteria.

8 Section 2(3) of the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution provides that, before making any nomination for appointment by the President as nominated Member of Parliament, “the Special Select Committee shall, wherever possible, consult other Members of Parliament in such manner as it thinks fit”.

9 On the advice of the Committee, the Speaker wrote to all the elected Members of Parliament on 19 May 2009, informing them of the names of the persons proposed for consideration as nominated Members of Parliament and asking the Members of Parliament if they had any comments on these persons and if they knew of any reason why any of them should not be considered for appointment as nominated Members of Parliament.

10 The Committee assessed the suitability of all the 43 eligible candidates. In assessing their suitability for appointment as nominated Members of Parliament, the Committee took into account the criteria set out in section 3(2) of the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution which provides that the persons to be nominated by the Special Select Committee “shall be persons who have rendered distinguished public service, or who have brought honour to the Republic, or who have distinguished themselves in the field of arts and letters, culture, the sciences, business, industry, the professions, social or community service or the labour movement; and in making any nomination, the Special Select Committee shall have regard to the need for nominated Members to reflect as wide a range of independent and non-partisan views as possible”.

Nominations of the Committee

11 The Committee found many of the candidates to be well qualified to be appointed as nominated Members of Parliament. However, as stipulated under section 3(1) of the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution, not more than nine nominated Members of Parliament can be appointed. The Committee has therefore nominated the following nine persons to the President for appointment as nominated Members of Parliament:

Mr Calvin Cheng Ern Lee
Mr Terry Lee Kok Hua
Mrs Mildred Tan-Sim Beng Mei
Assoc Prof Paulin Tay Straughan
Mr Teo Siong Seng
Mr Viswaroopan s/o Sadasivan
Mr Laurence Wee Yoke Thong
Ms Audrey Wong Wai Yen
Ms Joscelin Yeo Wei Ling

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Probably it is a good thing.

We want vocal and those with a sting to run for opposition and not some NMP!

And if PAP are to take out those with sting, the NMPs would be left with those that are too similar to the PAP backbencher. This can only be good to the growing frustration of the general populace, to vote with their head.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Government dun want troublemakers. Anyway, with elections coming, this would be a short term for these NMPs.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The outspoken is taken out and the softspoken is voted in? What kind of wayang is NMP.

By the way, it seems those who made decision to decide who should be nominated for NMP are those who comprised mostly PAP members. Even the speaker himself was pap member too.

I feel extremely sad for this country. There is nothing this govt has done to makes me feel proud of. They want to lead their own lives as easy as ABC without any stress caused to them. Let's stress them even more in the coming election. Time to get ready for a clean overhaul to this people-unfair LEEgime.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Is that Indian guy that tv reporter Viswa Sadasivan? That guy is a bleeding PAP scrotum muncher. I think he used to host "Background" or some stupid PAP skewed current affairs programme on the telly many years ago.

If that is so, then SG is now totally phucked, when a swimmer and the establishment's mouthpiece is supposed to speak up for you. I just can't wait to hear Jocelin Yeo's fake Aussie/American accent.

Cheers,

MM

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is Mr Low in the NMP committee when he openly oppose the scheme of backdoor NMP?

I think that it's for the same reason why the WP, the NSP etc. oppose GRC but still contest in it, oppose NCMP but still take it up.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
who know joscelin won't perform in the parliment? she was interviewed and talked about her self-disciplined training, and I was impressed.

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
phpuWQdFd.jpg

Je suis libre ce soir bitches

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - PAP, why NMP also PAP?</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>Crosswindx <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>5:10 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>16532.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Terry Lee Kok Hua, 57
a4-terrym.jpg
A veteran unionist. Has been a member of the Singapore Insurance Employees' Union for 33 years, and its president since 1982. Has been a member of the National Trades Union Congress central committee since 1997.
'My focus will be very much on learning and training. I think this is the worst crisis that most people have been through. It's very painful when someone who has only one skill loses his job, especially if he is not young. The Government is already doing a lot, but I think even more should be done to support training. Employers and workers have to play their part too.'
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - PAP, WTF does she know about Life!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>Crosswindx <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>5:13 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(1 of 15) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>16533.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Joscelin Yeo Wei Ling, 30
a4-joscelinm.jpg
A national swimmer, and the only Singaporean athlete to have competed in four Olympic Games starting with Barcelona in 1992. The winner of 40 gold medals at the SEA Games has been named Sportswoman of the Year three times.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>