• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Samples/Examples of poor English

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not an academic or professor in the English language, but i do find it amusing when i come across certain pet peeves of people around SinkieLand.

- For instance, telemarketers like to address you as "Hi Mr PETER, i am calling from ABC company....." Instead of addressing you by your surname (e.g. Mr Tan), they address you by your first name - Peter, and add the salutation "Mr" to it.

- Please queue UP Not necessary to add the 'up'.

Does any of you have tales to share?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
- double check
- double confirm
- Basically (first word used to answer a question)
- Actually ( first word used to answer a question)
- comprise (of)

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
the most common one here by a twit - "Advice/Advise".

I think i should carry out a test to ascertain how sensitive he is to errors between Advice / Advise.

- He ADVICE me to further my studies in Australia.

- I took up his ADVISE to further my studies in Australia.

jw5

Loyal
I am not an academic or professor in the English language, but i do find it amusing when i come across certain pet peeves of people around SinkieLand.

- For instance, telemarketers like to address you as "Hi Mr PETER, i am calling from ABC company....." Instead of addressing you by your surname (e.g. Mr Tan), they address you by your first name - Peter, and add the salutation "Mr" to it.

Hahaha, very mild examples.
Sometimes, they call you Mr followed by the name because they don't know which is your surname or just to be more "warm". It doesn't mean they don't know that MR should be followed by the surname.

jw5

Loyal
- double check
- double confirm
- comprise (of)
Hahaha bro, here is my reply:
-- Always thought that double check means to look at something 4 times. You look at it once, then check it, meaning you look at it twice. Hence double check means you look at it 4 times? :smile:
-- As for double confirm.
-- Basically and actually nothing wrong with using these words at the beginning of a sentence, right? :smile:

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
kindergarden. The correct word is kindergarten.

handphone. The correct words are mobile phone, cellular phone, or cell phone.

kopi. The correct word is coffee.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"threat" instead of "thread".
"virgina" instead of "vagina".:rolleyes:
"agreed" instead of "agree".
"wedsite" instead of "website".
"outstation" instead of "overseas business trip" or some other appropriate term.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
- double check
- double confirm
- comprise (of)

Actually I cringe when people say "repeat again" when they actually mean twice

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another one more time.