• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why is other man sharing my IC no?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,201780,00.html?

Why is other man sharing my IC no?
Man makes puzzling discovery while making online application
By Arul John

May 13, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_AJNRIC12-JYW.jpg

IC MYSTERY: Mr Aravindasan Marx Dhasan's puzzle was finally solved after a check with Acra.

EVERY Singaporean is unique, and they are identified not only through their fingerprint, but also through their identity card number.

It is impossible for two Singaporeans to have the same number, insists the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). Each person's NRIC number is unique, said an ICA spokesman, and will not be recycled even when the holder dies.

Yet that is what happened to property agent Aravindasan Marx Dhasan, 42, in what could be the first such case in Singapore.

He discovered that someone else shared the same NRIC number when he applied to be a company officer online.

This was in January, when a friend asked him to be a director in a company he was setting up.

Mr Dhasan, a former Indian national who became a Singapore citizen in 2004, was shocked when he saw that his NRIC number was shown to belong to another man, Mr Seow Keow Ngoh.

The second surprise: Mr Seow's address was the same as Mr Dhasan's current address in Sengkang.

Mr Dhasan said he bought his unit from its first owner, Mr Danny Foo, in 2004 and has lived there since.

He first came to Singapore in 2000 and became a Singapore permanent resident soon after.

Mr Dhasan said he has never lost his Singapore NRIC and has never seen or heard of Mr Seow. He said: 'My wife was shocked when I told her the news. She advised me to lodge a police report, but I decided to tell the press first.'

He called The New Paper, which helped him lodge a police report on 2 Apr and clarify the matter.

A check with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (Acra) showed that Mr Seow was a partner in a wood products firm, Inmar Wood Products Industries, near Potong Pasir.

The records showed Mr Seow stopped being a partner on 17 Feb 1989, although he was still one of Inmar's owners.

And yes, Mr Seow's address and NRIC number in the Acra records were the same as Mr Dhasan's.

The records also showed that Mr Seow had changed his address to the Sengkang one in 2005, a year after Mr Dhasan moved into his flat.

Said Mr Dhasan: 'I did more searches and found out that Mr Seow had another NRIC number, as well as an address at North Bridge Road. But when I went there, I found that nobody by that name lived at that unit.'

He was worried that someone may have stolen his identity. (See report above right.)

When The New Paper visited Mr Seow's North Bridge Road address, nobody answered the door.

Mystery solved

The puzzle was finally solved when an Acra spokesman told Mr Dhasan that in 1986, when Mr Seow was registering Inmar, he wrongly entered his date of birth, 27 Jul 1941, as his NRIC number in Acra's then manual records.

When online filing was later introduced, that number was converted to Mr Dhasan's NRIC number, and the address record was subsequently updated with Mr Dhasan's address tagged to his NRIC number.

The spokesman said Acra has rectified the matter and Mr Dhasan can now register a new business using his NRIC number.

She said their business registration is now electronic, with verification checks in place to ensure that a valid NRIC number is entered, and prompts for correction if an error occurs.

Acra has also informed Mr Dhasan in writing of the error.

On 6 Apr, an Acra report showed Mr Seow's correct NRIC number and his North Bridge Road address.

Mr Dhasan said: 'I am glad that Acra rectified their mistake, but I am still upset. Because of this mix-up, I lost a good business opportunity.'

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,201779,00.html?

Identity theft cases
May 13, 2009

WHEN marketing executive Benny Wong, 28, was rejected for a study loan last June, he learnt that the rejection was due to overdue payments for his overdraft account.

Someone had used his particulars to open the account, as well as two credit card accounts, illegally with United Overseas Bank in July 2006.

He lodged a police report.

Mr Wong told The New Paper that he did not know how this could have happened, but said he gave his IC to a job recruitment agency to photocopy in 2006, and also took part in many lucky draws during that time.

In December 2006, Mr Wong received a lawyer's letter sent on behalf of Standard Chartered Bank, stating he owed the bank $1,355. He did not have an account with the bank.

When he called the bank's fraud department, he was told someone had opened an account in his name.

The name and IC number on the application form was his, but the picture and billing address were different.

Mr Wong made a police report, and the bank waived Mr Wong's charges to his credit card account. The bank also made sure there was no negative impact on his credit bureau report.

On 19 Jan last year, a businessman's Subaru car was wrecked in an accident. The car was assessed as a total loss and transferred to the insurer, NTUC Income.

Two months later, the businessman saw a car of the same make, model and colour being advertised for sale by a dealer on the sgCarMart website. The car had the same licence plate number and vehicle identification numbers as his old car.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) investigated the case after it was alerted by The New Paper, and seized the car from the dealer on 20 Mar last year.