• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

JohnDoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks Scroobal.
Aside. You previously mentioned that for the HDB, one needs to stay there for a certain period prior to the sale. Does that mean that if I do not sell my flat when I leave and sell it later, I will have problems? If they do not allow the sale of the flat, what will happen to it??

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...for years, scroobal has been telling the whole world that Singapore allows dual citizenship....
even when it was reported clearly in the Straits Times that Singapore does not allow dual citizenship, he has the cheek to claim that the paper was lying...
this showed what a scum he is....even when confronted with such evidence, he still want to contine with his bullshits.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a certain requirement that you have to reside in a HDB flat for a minimum of 2 years immediately prior to its disposal. Because the vast majority meet that, few people including housing agents are aware of it. Best is that you check with HDB as things might have changed. There are people who of course claim that they have as the tenants are not registered etc while they are actually residing overseas.

Thks Scroobal.
Aside. You previously mentioned that for the HDB, one needs to stay there for a certain period prior to the sale. Does that mean that if I do not sell my flat when I leave and sell it later, I will have problems? If they do not allow the sale of the flat, what will happen to it??

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude, there was a statement in the Army and it applies to the present day - Do anything but don't get caught !

I rented out my apt for 5 yrs... lived for 1 yr +... and I sold it for a small profit :smile:
I never declare at all leh.. I have no prob with the Myanmar engineers, but hate the trouble maker Indian FT profession - I.T. VP ! He threatened to report to HDB.. Well, I ended up I took him to court for Breach-of-Contract. Not only I confiscated his bond money.. also managed to make him pay for $2k damages. Ha !

Never mess with Sg Chow Ah Beng ! Now, I simply bully my way in the Australia System.. Life's Good !

Thks Scroobal.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a certain requirement that you have to reside in a HDB flat for a minimum of 2 years immediately prior to its disposal. Because the vast majority meet that, few people including housing agents are aware of it. Best is that you check with HDB as things might have changed. There are people who of course claim that they have as the tenants are not registered etc while they are actually residing overseas.

Dude, there was a statement in the Army and it applies to the present day - Do anything but don't get caught !

I rented out my apt for 5 yrs... lived for 1 yr +... and I sold it for a small profit :smile:
I never declare at all leh.. I have no prob with the Myanmar engineers, but hate the trouble maker Indian FT profession - I.T. VP ! He threatened to report to HDB.. Well, I ended up I took him to court for Breach-of-Contract. Not only I confiscated his bond money.. also managed to make him pay for $2k damages. Ha !

Never mess with Sg Chow Ah Beng ! Now, I simply bully my way in the Australia System.. Life's Good !

I can corroborate with the above. Before I left, I also had the idea of keeping my flat and renting it out. I was advised by the housing agent of the minimum occupancy rule. I decided not to take the risk and sold my house.

On reaching here, I met up with other ex-Singaporeans. And found that several of them had actually kept their flats and rented them out. One of them was now trying to sell his, and was encountering the occupancy clause ('cos someone had informed HDB, apparently), and thus he is having trouble.

However, as Axe says, if don't get caught, I think it is a great idea to capitalise on profits!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I think Singaporeans got mixed up btw Rules and Laws. btw Govt and Political Parties. or Court and Ruling Party. Sporeans by large are extremely compliant in nature. Whatever the PAP or HDB says, they are happy to comply.

In Australia, all of us have our owner's rights.. many owners have asked the utilities workmen to fuck off, when they try to replace the electrical meter into SMART meter.. (Hmmm, I never know we can do that !!). The neighbours revealed after changing into smart meter, they'll be getting a big bill due to more efficient way of monitoring the elec usage, hence, they objected the swap ~! Australians have a lot of balls !

The PAP has done well to ensure every Singaporeans are compliant and submissive.. thru Schools, NS etc. Like they always hint : "Do What I Say, and Not, Do What I Do"..

FEAR baby, coz you will hide in your cave !

Know your Rights, and you will stand tall !

I can corroborate with the above. Before I left, I also had the idea of keeping my flat and renting it out. I was advised by the housing agent of the minimum occupancy rule. I decided not to take the risk and sold my house.

On reaching here, I met up with other ex-Singaporeans. And found that several of them had actually kept their flats and rented them out. One of them was now trying to sell his, and was encountering the occupancy clause ('cos someone had informed HDB, apparently), and thus he is having trouble.

However, as Axe says, if don't get caught, I think it is a great idea to capitalise on profits!

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha......guys be warned....
u are taking advice form scroobal at your own perils.....
he has been discredited many times with providing wrong facts...even when shown to be wrong, he will continue to spout the same bullshits like nothing had happened.

Last edited:

busybee1688

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have browse the CPF web site, it indicated that once withdrawn your CPF money and sell HDB/Private flat later is ok. But I have concern is will HDB force you to sell HDB flat as foreigner can't co-own HDB flat (Husband sg citizen but wife renouced SG citizenship).....just for planning purpose just in case.....

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have personally heard from people (recently) who have grown up children with dual Singapore and a foreign passports, and who voluntarily owned up to the Singapore authorities. But what the Singapore auths told them was pleasingly shocking: they were told instead to hold on to both their passports for the time being.

It is hasle-free and infinitely easier if they already have served NS.

So who is the blurfuck? I think it is good that blurfucks like you dont believe this shit, and so that you wont create enough of a troublesome and noisy majority that will upset the boat. The ST is meant for that - to prevent gullible guys like you from becoming a red tide. The one spouting falsehoods and untruths is you.

So pls carry on living on yr cloud nine. We could benefit with more losers like you.

hahaha...for years, scroobal has been telling the whole world that Singapore allows dual citizenship....
even when it was reported clearly in the Straits Times that Singapore does not allow dual citizenship, he has the cheek to claim that the paper was lying...
this showed what a scum he is....even when confronted with such evidence, he still want to contine with his bullshits.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have personally heard from people (recently) who have grown up children with dual Singapore and a foreign passports, and who voluntarily owned up to the Singapore authorities. But what the Singapore auths told them was pleasingly shocking: they were told instead to hold on to both their passports for the time being.

ultimately, the old 10-year and new 5-year passports will expire. upon expiration and re-application, that's when you have to make truthful declarations in the forms. a false declaration will get you fined or jailed upon return to sg and (a big if) if they decide to prosecute, but they will not go out of the way to extradite you if you are overseas. they leave you alone and let your passport lapse if you are not a wanted person and don't break other laws. the 3 instances i know when they seize sg passports and revoke sg citizenship are when sinkies carry both passports that have not expired but purposely use a foreign passport to enter sg. the immigration counter at the airport does not do the same blanket audit with every case, and they do so at their discretion. selective and arbitrary. and if your sg passport has lapsed or expired, there's no mandate for you to renounce your sg citizenship.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
ultimately, the old 10-year and new 5-year passports will expire. upon expiration and re-application, that's when you have to make truthful declarations in the forms. a false declaration will get you fined or jailed upon return to sg and (a big if) if they decide to prosecute, but they will not go out of the way to extradite you if you are overseas. they leave you alone and let your passport lapse if you are not a wanted person and don't break other laws. the 3 instances i know when they seize sg passports and revoke sg citizenship are when sinkies carry both passports that have not expired but purposely use a foreign passport to enter sg. the immigration counter at the airport does not do the same blanket audit with every case, and they do so at their discretion. selective and arbitrary. and if your sg passport has lapsed or expired, there's no mandate for you to renounce your sg citizenship.

10yr or 5 your pp does not matter. Just dont make any false declarafion and you should be alright. Technically you are not allowed to hold two pp and they MAY require you to give up one. But in reality, they are accepting as fait accompli.

Also enter Spore with Singapore pp and your new home with the foreign pp and things will be ok.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also do not rely on your foreign pp as backup incase your Singapore pp expires. You will be in big trouble. Many complications, and ICA wontbe sympathetic, as they are then bound by existing written laws to act.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
10yr or 5 your pp does not matter. Just dont make any false declarafion and you should be alright. Technically you are not allowed to hold two pp and they MAY require you to give up one. But in reality, they are accepting as fait accompli.

Also enter Spore with Singapore pp and your new home with the foreign pp and things will be ok.

Because you enter Singapore with SG pp, you have to leave with SG pp because your foreign pp has no entry stamp. But the airline will not take you home - eg Australia. Because AU require SG pp holders to have visitor visa.
Just show the airline staff your foreign passport and you will be OK.

Another way is to have your foreign pp registered in your freq flyer membership or when you buy the air ticket.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. Tks for the contribution.

Because you enter Singapore with SG pp, you have to leave with SG pp because your foreign pp has no entry stamp. But the airline will not take you home - eg Australia. Because AU require SG pp holders to have visitor visa.

Another way is to have your foreign pp registered in your freq flyer membership or when you buy the air ticket.

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal

Scroobal is both wrong and correct. Wrong because dual citizenship is not allowed in Singapore. Correct because dual citizenship exists for certain scenarios.

A Singaporean cannot apply for citizenship in another country and have dual citizenship. Singapore requires the Singaporean to renounce Singapore citizenship if the person wants to have citizenship of another country.

Dual citizenship for Singaporeans occurs for children of Singaporean citizens born overseas. This child, for example born in USA, has dual citizenship, both USA and Singapore citizenship. The child can keep both citizenship until he/she reaches 21 years old, at this time the child needs to decide if which citizenship he/she wants to have. He/she cannot have both citizenship, must renounce one of the citizenship.

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal

This means the person needs to carry both passports - Singapore passport to enter/exit Singapore and Australian passport to enter Australia (or show to airline staff).

The caveat to this is if the person is selected for random checks when clearing customs and customs find 2 passports for this person, the cat is out of the bag...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This means the person needs to carry both passports - Singapore passport to enter/exit Singapore and Australian passport to enter Australia (or show to airline staff).

The caveat to this is if the person is selected for random checks when clearing customs and customs find 2 passports for this person, the cat is out of the bag...

Do they have the right to search you when exiting the country?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You will still need to show your foreign passport to the airline, don't you?
If you fly SIA, won't the check-in staff squeal on you?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You will still need to show your foreign passport to the airline, don't you?
If you fly SIA, won't the check-in staff squeal on you?

airline check-in counters are obviously different from immigration checkpoints. staff on both sides don't necessarily copulate, oops, i mean cooperate. so long as your name is the same on both passports and boarding pass, you can show your foreign passport at check-in counter to get your pass and sg passport at immigration egress checkpoint to get to gate.