• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. Only if the kid is born a Singaporean or has obtained Singaporean citizenship when born overseas. Only citizens and PR of Singapore.

What if a S'porean married a Filipina in the Philippines, and they have
a boy; born in Manila with Filipino citizenship. Is the boy liable for NS?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. Application must be made by one parent who is at least a singapore citizen within a year of birth. Do note that citizenship status is now more complicated due new immigrants been given citizenship. There are things such as citizenship by birth and decent. Any kid born overseas must still register.

Tks mate. So, S'pore citizenship is not automatic.

Last edited:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. Application must be made by one parent who is at least a singapore citizen within a year of birth. Do note that citizenship status is now more complicated due new immigrants been given citizenship. There are things such as citizenship by birth and decent. Any kid born overseas must still register.

I believe that it is easier to apply for SG citizenship for a child born overseas, who has one parent with SG citizenship, than if the application is made after the child's first birthday [more tedious as it appears that there may be more forms to complete, more explanation(s), etc.]. However, in my opinion, the forms asked for too many details and require too many documents which must be notarized (whether it is for the first child or for the second child): the parents' full name, date of birth, place of birth, educational qualifications, employment, marriage certificate, details of siblings, etc., and a fee, as well as postage (from the Singapore Embassy or Consulate in the foreign country to the applicant's address - to me, the SG govt is too stingy).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was given to understand that the overgenerous approach to granting citizenship to parents has created a whole new mine field for the offspring. It was further complicated by new laws in 2004, allowing single parent eligibility to apply to female singaporeans who they feel may be taken advantge of by foreigners from the wrong side of the tracks.

The long standing practice of keeping close to the racial ratio is now a challenge. Therefore a whole swarth of administrative nightmare to provide an excuse to throw offsprings not desired if the profile does not fit.

All these can be avoided if they chose to be truly multi-racial and work on a singapore core identity rather than operating policies along racial lines.

The end result: well qualified parents in 1st world countries can't be bothered to jump thru hoops so they don't even bother to apply. Just look at the ICA website. It 90% focused on handling queries from new migrants and their application for citizenship rather than those born as singaporeans.

I believe that it is easier to apply for SG citizenship for a child born overseas, who has one parent with SG citizenship, than if the application is made after the child's first birthday [more tedious as it appears that there may be more forms to complete, more explanation(s), etc.]. However, in my opinion, the forms asked for too many details and require too many documents which must be notarized (whether it is for the first child or for the second child): the parents' full name, date of birth, place of birth, educational qualifications, employment, marriage certificate, details of siblings, etc., and a fee, as well as postage (from the Singapore Embassy or Consulate in the foreign country to the applicant's address - to me, the SG govt is too stingy).

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i personally know of a case on point...daughter born in USA to a singgie daddy and mother is a national from one the EU member states...i gather the kid now has not 3 but 4 citizenships including EU citizenship:cool:
I believe it may be possible for a female born overseas of SG parent (or least one of the parents) to acquire a SG passport, while continuing to be a citizen, say of USA or Canada.
What is the likelihood, simply for evaluating the different scenarios, that a child applied and did become a SG citizen (by applying from overseas, born overseas with at least one SG citizen parent), and also obtained citizenship from a European country. Citizenship from 3 countries. If the SG govt becomes aware, it is likely that the SG govt may insist on the individual renouce the SG citizenship at age 21.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
i personally know of a case on point...daughter born in USA to a singgie daddy and mother is a national from one the EU member states...i gather the kid now has not 3 but 4 citizenships including EU citizenship:cool:

Theoretically, my wife and I could take the necessary steps to apply for several citizenships for our children: born Canadian, if I apply for SG citizenship for them (through the route of being born of a SG parent), and my wife could apply for her native country's citizenship (and probably qualify for the EU) via that country. It may be beneficial as it may allow them to have the possible opportunities. Although many of my friends did not understand why I took the trouble to continuously apply for Exit Permit from MINDEF. Life is too short and uncertain not to try to obtain as many possible opportunities and open as many doors for our children. Who knows whether or not SG could be the Paris of the East in ten years.

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes go for it...in any event no skin off your nose...and like what some forumers have pointed out in other threads...the singapore passport is quite a good one to travel on immigration wise...btw i gather another interesting permutation could arise if the kid is born in international no man's land...actually heard of a chap travelling on a UN 'passport' for quite sometime and he was no un diplomat

. Life is too short and uncertain not to try to obtain as many possible opportunities and open as many doors for our children. .

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Theoretically, my wife and I could take the necessary steps to apply for several citizenships for our children: born Canadian, if I apply for SG citizenship for them (through the route of being born of a SG parent), and my wife could apply for her native country's citizenship (and probably qualify for the EU) via that country. It may be beneficial as it may allow them to have the possible opportunities. Although many of my friends did not understand why I took the trouble to continuously apply for Exit Permit from MINDEF. Life is too short and uncertain not to try to obtain as many possible opportunities and open as many doors for our children. Who knows whether or not SG could be the Paris of the East in ten years.

The world shall be your HOME. I think you have better probabilities (of open doors) outside SG than within. True, SG passport is valuable.. but there is no free lunch in this world and the catch - it comes with liabilities..

Your liabilities may include "moral obligation" !!!?! Model litigants do not have to be morally obligated, but it is mandatory for individuals like you and me.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
well you seem to like to talk about independent thinking, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurism...well why not envisage a combination that includes singapore as well?...
The world shall be your HOME. I think you have better probabilities (of open doors) outside SG than within. True, SG passport is valuable.. but there is no free lunch in this world and the catch - it comes with liabilities..

Your liabilities may include "moral obligation" !!!?! Model litigants do not have to be morally obligated, but it is mandatory for individuals like you and me.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One powerful reason to hold multiple passports especially EU - recruitment into supranational organisations such as the UN and a whole host of child organisations. With French as the 2nd language, it goes along way. Most people who schooled in the 1st world would have covered French.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes go for it...in any event no skin off your nose...and like what some forumers have pointed out in other threads...the singapore passport is quite a good one to travel on immigration wise...btw i gather another interesting permutation could arise if the kid is born in international no man's land...actually heard of a chap travelling on a UN 'passport' for quite sometime and he was no un diplomat

I guess we should consider taking the necessary steps.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
One powerful reason to hold multiple passports especially EU - recruitment into supranational organisations such as the UN and a whole host of child organisations. With French as the 2nd language, it goes along way. Most people who schooled in the 1st world would have covered French.

I wish I had the opportunity (but I was not bright enough then, as I did not have 3 to 4 A's) like several of my schoolmates who were sent to France on a scholarship and where they spent a year learning French.
Currently, our children attend half day Saturday school (from Jk to Grade 12) to learn my wife's mother tongue (the Mandarin schools are outside of downtown Toronto, and about the same time as our Staurday school).
In Sep 2009, our eldest child will attend a Catholic school with a concentrated gifted program (one of three in Toronto) and half day French immersion. Our second child has been selected (after 2 auditions and an academic test) and offered a place at St. Michael's Choir School (one of six in the world to be affiliated with the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome) where they have one class per grade, and a regular academic program will be compressed so that there is time for the boys to have two 25-minute choral lessons per day, classical piano lessons, music theory lessons and extended French. One other major commitment is that the boys (as a member of one of three choirs) have to sing at one of several masses at St. Michael's Cathedral for ten months a year.
I will provide the url, when I obtain it, and edit this post. [ http://www.smcs.on.ca/history.htm ]
If our children learn to be caring, compassionate, independent thinking, responsible and creative adults, my obligations as a parent would have been discharged (and time and money well spent). One other peson said: to be rooted in tradition and to provide them with the wings to soar independently like an eagle.

Last edited:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said, tat is also why my wife and me decided and opt out of the pressure cooker life in sg for Canada.
In sg society, where the ex PM is stilll in Power and the son is the current PM and the wife is managing the country $$. The brother in law is in charge of the Police and the other members of the family are in position of power that countrys the various important position in the country. Doesnt the pictures tell the people living in it tat something is not right and u should do something about it to preserve your family as you cant change the society.