• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

slepland

Dear Scroobal Sir,

thank you for your advice. We have received our PR for australia.

can i ask again if there is a need for me and my wife to renounce sg citizenship so that our boys can avoid ns?

Also, i renewed my son's passport once at age 4. He is currently 8 years old, born in 2005. His passport expires at age 9+

Thank you once again.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dual citizenship not right for now, but Govt will keep an open mind: DPM Teo

Singapore | Updated yesterday at 12:27 PM By Janice Heng

Singapore is now not in a situation where allowing Singaporeans to hold dual citizenship will strengthen it "as a people or a nation," Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said on Thursday.

"Allowing Singaporeans to retain or acquire a second citizenship is unlikely to enhance identity but could dilute it," he said, in response to Nominated MP Eugene Tan's Parliamentary question on the necessary pre-conditions before Singapore is prepared to accept dual citizenship.

Mr Tan then asked if, given the trend of more marriages between Singaporeans and those of other nationalities, dual nationality might help children of such marriages have a connection with Singapore. He asked if Singapore should "keep an open mind."

To this, Mr Teo agreed, saying that although Singapore should not allow dual citizenship at this point in time, "we should always keep an open mind".

linkymn

Hi,

Have been contemplating migrating to Australia. However, there is some health issues with me. Understand that there will be a medical check before a PR visa is granted. Would like to enquire what are they checking for? For those who had done it, like to ask what tests are done and tests for what? For example, if they do a blood test, what do they check for? HIV, blood count, etc?

Can I don't declare this health issue of mine during the medical check?

Thanks in advance.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, blood test, HIV, for the blood test, and X-ray for TB. It a general medical test to see if you have anything that would be a drain on the medicare system here. Depending on the visa you applied, Medicare might be waived for the first couple of years here. As for undeclared health problems, they would also have the rights to withdraw your visa when its found out. It is better to be honest with them during the process. The medical test are usually the last to be done when your application is ready for approval.

Hi,

Have been contemplating migrating to Australia. However, there is some health issues with me. Understand that there will be a medical check before a PR visa is granted. Would like to enquire what are they checking for? For those who had done it, like to ask what tests are done and tests for what? For example, if they do a blood test, what do they check for? HIV, blood count, etc?

Thanks in advance.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, blood test, HIV, for the blood test, and X-ray for TB. It a general medical test to see if you have anything that would be a drain on the medicare system here. Depending on the visa you applied, Medicare might be waived for the first couple of years here. As for undeclared health problems, they would also have the rights to withdraw your visa when its found out. It is better to be honest with them during the process. The medical test are usually the last to be done when your application is ready for approval.

Oops Ash007 had already replied to you.. :biggrin:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

it is not for you to declare but the doctor to certify whether you are ok or not. If you have one of those terminal illness, you will not be eligible to apply for the visa.

JohnDoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Scroobal,

I refer to yr post (may 09) but passports (pp) now have a 5 yr validity and the rule of a boy's pp expiring at 11 is no longer valid.

?? Boy is now 9. His pp expires in a yr (at 10). Family will b emigrating in a yr+ (but before 11). He nds a new pp to leave Sg.

If he renews his pp now at 9, it expires when he's 14. Isit a Problem??

ie. If the rest of the procedures in yr post are strictly adhered, will he have any problems in the future??

thanks

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry bro, missed this post.

They changed the rules some years back where it was tied to the passport and age 11. Go ahead and renew the passport and leave. Do not renew it once you migrate. Once you migrate, email CMPB and make it clear that the new country is your new home and ask the procedure to follow to eventually renounce citizenship for your son. Once you provide contact details and address, they will notify you for exit permit at age 13, registration at age 16.5 , followed by deferment. The key is the PR visa and the date that you went across.

Good luck and enjoy the new country.

Hi Scroobal,

I refer to yr post (may 09) but passports (pp) now have a 5 yr validity and the rule of a boy's pp expiring at 11 is no longer valid.

?? Boy is now 9. His pp expires in a yr (at 10). Family will b emigrating in a yr+ (but before 11). He nds a new pp to leave Sg.

If he renews his pp now at 9, it expires when he's 14. Isit a Problem??

ie. If the rest of the procedures in yr post are strictly adhered, will he have any problems in the future??

thanks

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[scroobal],

I recall someone indicated that a male Singaporean, must apply to CMPB, at age 11 or 12 for exit permit?

What about those male Singaporeans who did not attend school in SG, but have always live overseas?
Do they have to apply for exit permit at age 13?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, in the old days all Singaporean male passport for children would automatically expire at age 11 years. There was no fixed period for the passport such as 5 years. Not anymore.

See below:
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/overseasmission/chengdu/consular_services/extension.html
"NS-Liable Males

With the introduction of BioPass, the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) has decided to remove passport controls for NS-liable males and allow them to be issued with passports of full validity.

Exit control measures however continue to be relevant and necessary. MINDEF has decided to extend exit permit requirements, which currently affect only males aged 16½ to enlistment, to males aged 13 to below 16½.

To avoid inconveniencing those who make short overseas trips during vacations, an exit permit will only be required for overseas trips of 3 months or longer. To apply for Exit Permit, please visit MINDEF website at http://www.ns.sg.

Those who require exit permit of 2 years or longer will be required to furnish a bond. This bonding requirement is similar to the current arrangement where security in the form of Banker's Guarantee must be furnished. The amount of the security bond is S$75,000 or 50% of the combined gross annual income of both parents for the preceding year, whichever is higher. The monetary bond requirement for male citizens who accompany their parents on overseas employment may be waived and they be bonded by deed with two sureties.

There will be no change to the exit permit and bonding requirements for NS-liable males aged 16½ to enlistment.

Pre-enlistees who have any enquiries can contact the NS Portal Customer Service Centre at Tel: (65) 1800-3676767 (1800-eNSNSNS) or email: [email protected]. They can also refer to the NS portal (http://www.ns.sg) for more information."

Reply from CMPB to someone who made the query:

"NATIONAL SERVICE DEFERMENT

1. Please refer to your email dated 26 Jun 2008 regarding your request for your son to be granted deferment from National Service (NS) till his age of 21 years, pending the renunciation of his Singapore citizenship.

2. Under the Singapore Constitution, Singapore citizens may renounce their Singapore citizenship after reaching the age of 21. NS-liable males below 21 years old can apply for deferment from NS till 21 years of age, pending the renunciation of their Singapore citizenship. Any request for deferment can only be assessed if the NS-liable male is aged 13 years and above. As your son has yet to reach the age of 13, we are unable to process your request at this point in time.

3. We wish to remind you that all NS-liable persons aged 13 and above who have not completed full-time NS are required to have an Exit Permit if they wish to remain overseas for periods spanning three months or longer."

[scroobal],

I recall someone indicated that a male Singaporean, must apply to CMPB, at age 11 or 12 for exit permit?

What about those male Singaporeans who did not attend school in SG, but have always live overseas?
Do they have to apply for exit permit at age 13?

JohnDoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks Scroobal

(1) So under new rules, holding a valid pp beyond 11 is not considered hving enjoyed Sin privilege, but applying for pp after 11 is?
(2) When shld I inform MINDEF? straight after I arrive at new country or before 13?
(3) As is, new pp will expire at 14,
- before 11, I can visit sin for holiday w no issues?
- after son turns 13 if I visit for holiday, will we be required to furbish bond (even if I hv established desire to migrate via informing Mindef before 13??)

wtresca

Hi Guys,

I'm currently facing some issues regarding NS Obligation and Citizenship issues

- Born overseas, parents applied for SC by descent.
- Headed down to ICA upon attaining 21 and submitted my renaunciation of SC
- Under a SVP until end of July 2013.
- I was informed by CMPB that my renaunciation has been rejected and that I have to report for NS in June 2013
- I will lose my SC half way throughout my NS as ICA would cancel my SC upon attaining the age of 22 years.

What shld i do now?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have little choice but do NS.

There is a procedure that one has to undertake before SC renunciation is allowed. In a nutshell

- there must be evidence of family migration
- indicate that you are no longer keen to be a Singaporean when you were required to apply for exit permit. Now it is 13, previously 16.5
- need to register for NS at age 16.5 and immediately seek deferment until 21
- at age 21, you will need to renouce

The procedures are meant to deter parents to send male kids overseas to avoid NS while one or both parents continue to work, run business etc in Singapore.

If both your parents left Singapore and held migrant status and you did not return to Singapore to study or stay other than for social visit, did not apply for passport or NRIC after age 11' you may wish to appeal.

Hi Guys,

I'm currently facing some issues regarding NS Obligation and Citizenship issues

- Born overseas, parents applied for SC by descent.
- Headed down to ICA upon attaining 21 and submitted my renaunciation of SC
- Under a SVP until end of July 2013.
- I was informed by CMPB that my renaunciation has been rejected and that I have to report for NS in June 2013
- I will lose my SC half way throughout my NS as ICA would cancel my SC upon attaining the age of 22 years.

What shld i do now?

wtresca

my concern is that, I do not have my IC, how should I report for enlistment? And since I renounced my SC, i'm on a social visit pass which expires 1 month after my enlistment :/

JohnDoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks Scroobal

(1) So under new rules, holding a valid pp beyond 11 is not considered hving enjoyed Sin privilege, but applying for pp after 11 is?
(2) When shld I inform MINDEF? straight after I arrive at new country or before 13?
- after son turns 13 if I visit for holiday, will we be required to furbish bond (even if I hv established desire to migrate via informing Mindef before 13

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In you earlier post, you indicated that you could not renouce SC. The SC number is your IC number. Just get in touch with CMPB on the whole process if this gets complicated.

my concern is that, I do not have my IC, how should I report for enlistment? And since I renounced my SC, i'm on a social visit pass which expires 1 month after my enlistment :/

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just get in touch with them as soon as you cross over. With your contact details in their records, they will notify you of exit permit application when your son reaches 13. Same thing will happen he reaches 16.5 and again at 21.

Yes on the disengaging the passport with NS at age 11 as in the past. Can travel in and out with no problems. There is the exit permit at 13, so get that and still use the passport until 14. Just do not renew anymore the passport or apply for NRIC, school here including international school etc.

At 13, only the exit permit. No bond for migrant family. The contact centre or clerks will tell you otherwise but do not relent.

Thks Scroobal

- after son turns 13 if I visit for holiday, will we be required to furbish bond (even if I hv established desire to migrate via informing Mindef before 13

JohnDoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Scroobal.
Assuming boy returns to singapore right before 13 for a holiday and celebrates his 13th birthday here. In theory, he will need to apply exit permit after his BD to get out..will you have a choice not to pay bond?? Pt is, can we choose whether to pay bond if the contact centre says you have to? I wld assume that you hv no choice otherwise they will not issue permit?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) To be on the safe side, do not travel close to the birthday. Get the exit permit sorted first. The number of migrant cases compared to those seeking travel aboard for studies and accompanying parents who are working overseas is small. The contact centre thus are no as familar with migrant cases. We had a number of cases where wrong advice was given.

2) There is no bond, just exit permit only for migrant cases. The contact centre staff also have advised families wrongly and we had few forummers reporting the same here. Don't argue with contact staff. They tend to use dvision trees based on tag. So you if you say exit permit and staying overseas for extended period the decision tree on the screen will immediately throw out bond.

My advice is not to mention that exit permit at all. Email CMPB and tell them the following
- your family has migrated
- country X is your new home
- your son would like to renounce his SC
- what is the procedure
- his BC number, DOB and your contact details

Note: nowhere above do I mention exit permit.

You will get a nice letter telling you that you are too early. They will also tell you the process. Just before 13, the notice to apply for exit permit will come thru. Your are now in the right department in CMPB and there is a reference number. Another notification at age 16 and then again at 21.

Thanks Scroobal.
Assuming boy returns to singapore right before 13 for a holiday and celebrates his 13th birthday here. In theory, he will need to apply exit permit after his BD to get out..will you have a choice not to pay bond?? Pt is, can we choose whether to pay bond if the contact centre says you have to? I wld assume that you hv no choice otherwise they will not issue permit?