• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Singapore is a nice place for me. Lots of friends here, family, relatives. Quite a busy social life for me here in Singapore. Don't care about politics, only thing I don't like here are the crowds and congestion. Everywhere is crowded. But I can adapt to this. I like visiting places in Malaysia and Indonesia as well. Easy to travel there, affordable too. Eventually, I have to return to Canada, when my E-pass expires, but my mom doesn't want me to leave. How do I tell her, that Canada's new liberal PM is going to legalise pot! It will be heaven there!!! I don't think ma will understand!

Cheers!

Cannot extend E-pass? Apply for Singapore PR?

Seriously you are much happier in Singapore. Don't bet on the legalized pot thing. Liberal government can't get anything done. Even the assisted suicide law hasn't been passed.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He needs to drink kopi with his MP and suck up abit to the PAP to get that. If anyone can do it, Agoraphobic can.

Don't bet on the legalized pot thing. Liberal government can't get anything done. Even the assisted suicide law hasn't been passed.[/QUOTE]

Wah, you super dislike the Liberals. Remember, it is your buddy Harper that did nothing on the assisted-suicide issue for the longest time. He didn't want it to be an election issue.

You sure don't like democracy. Democracy is messy and things don't happen fast. Harper got things done because he was adopting the PAP strategy of bulldozing legislation. Maybe your heart truly lies in sinkapore; you like the way the country is governed.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why you want to go to Canada? My mom went to stay with me there, and after a month she said, "How can you live here! Its so boring here!!!"

Cheers!

Your mom knows only life in sinkapore. Like most sinkees, they go to another country, they compare that with sinkapore. They can't see the beauty in the other country.
Canada is not perfect but it is damn good. The first time I step on the soil to attend university, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough points to get PR then.
So, can you bring me to Canada?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I might likely go to Mississauga next time I go back to Canada. More jobs there than many other urban areas in the country. And just a short drive to the outdoors, lakes, and hiking trails. And just under an hour into downtown Toronto, or the airport. Its got everything there.

Cheers!

Mississauga is only 30 minutes from Toronto. I have friends who accommodated me there when I visited that part of Canada.

Why not Brampton?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ce-power-and-ethnic-enclaves/article30273820/

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Wah, you super dislike the Liberals. Remember, it is your buddy Harper that did nothing on the assisted-suicide issue for the longest time. He didn't want it to be an election issue.

You sure don't like democracy. Democracy is messy and things don't happen fast. Harper got things done because he was adopting the PAP strategy of bulldozing legislation. Maybe your heart truly lies in sinkapore; you like the way the country is governed.

Yep, I am conservative for sure. Just because I dislike the Liberals doesn`t mean I don`t like democracy. I am actually against physician assisted suicide. If you see how it has gone with other countries who have accepted euthanasia it becomes easier and easier to get it. We should leave physicians out of it. You don`t really need the doctor to perform the act. Yes we can make assessments but let the pharmacists or some other kind of health care professional do the actual killing. Looks like the Liberals themselves have problems on what is defined as an illness, disease or disability, that causes enduring suffering that is intolerable to the individual in the circumstances of his or her condition`. Liberals tried to say it is limited to illnesses that show a trajectory leading to eventual death. Some disagree with that. They say for example ALS may not cause death in the short term but the suffering is immense.

Then what about the teens who commit suicide in Attawapiskat? In interviews they have described living there as insufferable and hopeless. At the same time they cannot leave to live elsewhere. Hence they choose suicide? Should they be allowed physician assisted suicide then? Instead we send counselors and mental health professionals to help them. I am against suicide and assisted suicide. We should help patients not kill them.

Legalizing pot is another sticky issue of course and I foresee a long road ahead for it to be legalized. See what happened recently in Toronto.

Democracy is a system. See what is happening in the USA. Trump? Clinton? Geez. Anyway that's politics. The best we have is Democracy. But it might not always result in the best outcome. And you are right it is very slow.

I didn't leave Singapore because of the politics or the government. I left because I realized that Singapore is a tiny little island in the big ocean of the world. There is a limit to how much growth it can achieve without bloodshed. A successful Singapore would get more crowded. A less successful one would be less crowded but mean certain suffering economically for the people. It is a no win situation. Hence I chose to leave at whatever it costs. I do not bitch about the government and hope for people to take me to Canada or Australia or what not. I did my research and applied accordingly. Remember that I also tried to go to Australia, went there for interviews, got a job, and then got put on hold by the Victoria State Medical Board regarding my licence to practice as they investigated "Dr Death" and reviewed their policy on recruiting foreign trained doctors.

Singapore has democracy as well (like it or not). But the people are daft. So it is not really democracy that would change the lives of Singaporeans. It is Singaporeans who can change their own lives if they want to. I realized this early on in my career as I meet many many people from all walks of life on a daily basis. Majority support the PAP/Conservative/Right wing approach. They also support elitism and nepotism. Foreign talent? Maids. Stop blaming others. I can change my fate and my future.

In any case I am now very happy in Alberta. Life is good and the future is stable.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because you need that as a break from your hedonistic lifestyle. How long a break do you take before you head back to luxurious living in SF?

300 days of hardwork in sg surfing the web while doing jaga work to earn enough money to take a break in sf.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're right. My mom only knows Singapore and the lifestyle here. Familarity with the local issues, joining her friends going for makan, and services of a maid. The outdoors, nature, doesn't mean anything to her, and neither is beer nor ice-hockey, in fact whilst in Canada, everytime I take her out, it's to makan dim-sum! I got so sick of it! And I don't speak Canto! Can't stand that lingo anyway. More at ease with Hokkien and Singlish, and even Malay for that matter. Yup, Canada ain't perfect (the local newspapers shoot down the gahmen every opportunity they get, even the radio DJs too! Culturally, Canada is right on top of the world, great musicians and bands, activities, and just a huge huge country! Too big actually (I don't mind if Quebec separates!!!) Alberta can join Texas if she wants to! Ontario alone is bigger than East and West Germany combined!! Having lived to this age, I don't need that much land. A country the size of Johore will suffice!

Canada isn't that difficult to emigrate to actually. Lots of immigrants there don't even speak English! Don't know how they entered, but they did! Some East Europeans even got in as refugees because they got AIDs and said they'd face discrimination in their own country because of sexual orientation harassment! Might want to give this a try? Who knows? Might work y'know?

Cheers!

Your mom knows only life in sinkapore. Like most sinkees, they go to another country, they compare that with sinkapore. They can't see the beauty in the other country.
Canada is not perfect but it is damn good. The first time I step on the soil to attend university, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough points to get PR then.
So, can you bring me to Canada?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My mom has pressured me to extend my stay in Singapore. Have got the PR forms in my drawers, not brought myself to fill it in yet. I wonder why I should? Served my NS, paid my taxes, bloody gahment doesn't give a shit to those things!

Not counting on legalised pot. It doesn't affect me anyway! Stopped for a few years now. It has been outlawed the day I first smoked it, and ever since! Both in Singapore, and Canada. And now, I'm passed that age where getting stoned is a great feeling. So I'm not concerned by the pot laws at all.n Just that the battle for legalization has been underway for so long, I wonder when the authorities are going to give in and decide that busting kids for possessing pot is a waste of time and resources, and doesn't do anything to change things at ground level. Canada should really work on beefing up her military hardware. Its quite a disgrace really, the last time some servicemen spoke to the press about their Afghan mission, was a little saddened to hear them say, that the helicopters they flew were older than the pilots who flew them!!! And I don't think the Liberal government gives shit about more military spending!

Cheers!

Seriously you are much happier in Singapore. Don't bet on the legalized pot thing. Liberal government can't get anything done. Even the assisted suicide law hasn't been passed.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mind Brampton, much the same as Mississauga. Just more South Asians. Actually, the best Indian food I've tasted was from Markham, a family run take-out place along Highway 7 called Shari (or Shahahri), told the owner to move to Singapore, where people spend more money eating out. In Canada, we mostly cook ourselves, and consider eating out an unnecessary expense. (I barbecue almost everyday!) Yup, when I do get back there, am open to options, not limiting my choices of residences, important thing is access to jobs, and certain human needs like medical places, supermarkets, recreational stuff. Don't want to end up someplace too ulu as well.

Cheers!

.....................Why not Brampton?......

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
My mom has pressured me to extend my stay in Singapore. Have got the PR forms in my drawers, not brought myself to fill it in yet. I wonder why I should?

Cheers!

You are a filial son. You also have a good job in Singapore. Makes no sense to give up all that to go back to Canada with no job and no financial security. I seriously think you should extend your stay in Singapore.

If you lose your job or Singapore collapses and it is push factors that make you leave Singapore then it is different. Otherwise coming to Canada you will miss the good life in Singapore, the financial security and hate Canada.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yep, I am conservative for sure. Just because I dislike the Liberals doesn`t mean I don`t like democracy. I am actually against physician assisted suicide. If you see how it has gone with other countries who have accepted euthanasia it becomes easier and easier to get it. We should leave physicians out of it. You don`t really need the doctor to perform the act. Yes we can make assessments but let the pharmacists or some other kind of health care professional do the actual killing. Looks like the Liberals themselves have problems on what is defined as an illness, disease or disability, that causes enduring suffering that is intolerable to the individual in the circumstances of his or her condition`. Liberals tried to say it is limited to illnesses that show a trajectory leading to eventual death. Some disagree with that. They say for example ALS may not cause death in the short term but the suffering is immense.

In case you are not aware, this bill is pretty close to the test balloon bill your CONs drafted. That's why the reception to it has not been positive.
If I am suffering, I sure would like to be able to kill myself in the most painless way.

Then what about the teens who commit suicide in Attawapiskat? In interviews they have described living there as insufferable and hopeless. At the same time they cannot leave to live elsewhere. Hence they choose suicide? Should they be allowed physician assisted suicide then? Instead we send counselors and mental health professionals to help them. I am against suicide and assisted suicide. We should help patients not kill them.
You think the Liberal government is encouraging suicide? I don't see evidence of that ...people are upset with the Liberals because the bill is too restrictive.
If someone is suffering and just waiting to die, does it delight you to let them continue to suffer?
Or in sinkapore, such a situation would impoverish the family. I would rather save the money so that those alive can benefit, than to waste it on useless pain relieve.

Legalizing pot is another sticky issue of course and I foresee a long road ahead for it to be legalized. See what happened recently in Toronto.
I don't like this legalization thing but it is no different from legalizing alcohol. Both kills in some way.
Democracy is a system. See what is happening in the USA. Trump? Clinton? Geez. Anyway that's politics. The best we have is Democracy. But it might not always result in the best outcome. And you are right it is very slow.
You should read my post on fascism ...posted today.

I didn't leave Singapore because of the politics or the government. I left because I realized that Singapore is a tiny little island in the big ocean of the world. There is a limit to how much growth it can achieve without bloodshed. A successful Singapore would get more crowded. A less successful one would be less crowded but mean certain suffering economically for the people. It is a no win situation. Hence I chose to leave at whatever it costs. I do not bitch about the government and hope for people to take me to Canada or Australia or what not. I did my research and applied accordingly. Remember that I also tried to go to Australia, went there for interviews, got a job, and then got put on hold by the Victoria State Medical Board regarding my licence to practice as they investigated "Dr Death" and reviewed their policy on recruiting foreign trained doctors.
Does that explain why you are right-wing? Because you believe that people should fend for themselves and if they can't, they should suffer the consequences. That's the right-wing talk that the PAP drilled into us.

Singapore has democracy as well (like it or not). But the people are daft. So it is not really democracy that would change the lives of Singaporeans. It is Singaporeans who can change their own lives if they want to. I realized this early on in my career as I meet many many people from all walks of life on a daily basis. Majority support the PAP/Conservative/Right wing approach. They also support elitism and nepotism. Foreign talent? Maids. Stop blaming others. I can change my fate and my future.
Sinkapore doesn't have democracy if measure against true democracies in the West. Just being able to vote in an election is not democracy. Find me a democracy where the body managing the elections reports to the government. The election in sinkapore fails the smell test.

In any case I am now very happy in Alberta. Life is good and the future is stable.
Maybe you should move to another province every few years so that you can have varied views, instead of just right-wing stuff.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
People commit suicide everyday. It is their right to do so. There is no law that has resulted in a reduction of suicide rates across the world.

The law however seeks to allow doctors to kill their patients by assisting in their suicides.

I am not against suicide. It is your right and your choice. However I question the choice of asking doctors to perform the act of killing another person. There is an occupation where the professionals are trained to kill others. They are called assassins.

You do not need doctors to perform the final act. We can be involved in the assessment and qualification stages. But there is no need to have a doctor to finally kill his/her patient.

Why not ask Police Officers? Lawyers? Or teach family members how to do it? We can also train a special branch of paraclinical health care personnel to administer the lethal drug.

For the matter why not just have doctors write a prescription and the patient goes to the pharmacy and buy the deadly drug go home and take it at home and die peacefully?

Seriously doctors are trained to save lives, relieve suffering but certainly not kill people.

To say that a doctor will kill a patient to relieve suffering is akin to having a surgeon chop off the leg to relieve chronic pain from osteoarthritis in the knees. Just doesn't sound right.

Yes by all means pass a law to allow easy painfree methods to commit suicide and let the individual choose to take up suicide as an option for terminating his life. After all I really don't think the patients care whether they end their lives with the aid of the doctor or not. They just want to make sure it is as painless as possible. So really it has nothing to do with doctors.

I tell you eventually 50 years from now we will be debating why doctors should have monopoly over "painless suicide"? Why not allow Pharmacists to have a share of the pie? Why not sell it in supermarkets? It is a slippery slope.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't mind Brampton, much the same as Mississauga. Just more South Asians. Actually, the best Indian food I've tasted was from Markham, a family run take-out place along Highway 7 called Shari (or Shahahri), told the owner to move to Singapore, where people spend more money eating out. In Canada, we mostly cook ourselves, and consider eating out an unnecessary expense. (I barbecue almost everyday!) Yup, when I do get back there, am open to options, not limiting my choices of residences, important thing is access to jobs, and certain human needs like medical places, supermarkets, recreational stuff. Don't want to end up someplace too ulu as well.

Cheers!

Friends told me Brampton property is cheaper than the other cities around Toronto. But alot of Ah Nehs. Mississauga is abit more mixed. I will be visiting Canada shortly, will give you a field report.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't know what is filial, just do what I feel is expected of me. When I was in school, just pass exams, when I started working, just make my boss satisfied. Collect pay. Never bothered much about things I can't influence. Jobwise, it is quite good for me in Singapore. Lots of contacts built up and accumulated since primary school through NS, and work, not complaining. Just that the ,market is pathetically small, so have to look to other ASEAN countries for business. Not attracted to return to Canada in any hurry as well, realise that when I do, have to start all over again. Crossed my mind to look at USA too, but again, nothing draws me there. Actually I wouldn't mind relocating to Vietnam or Thailand, but my kid's education is another thing I have to consider. Shit, don't want to have to deal with all these decisions! For the time being, just one day at a time!

Cheers!

You are a filial son. You also have a good job in Singapore. Makes no sense to give up all that to go back to Canada with no job and no financial security. I seriously think you should extend your stay in Singapore.

If you lose your job or Singapore collapses and it is push factors that make you leave Singapore then it is different. Otherwise coming to Canada you will miss the good life in Singapore, the financial security and hate Canada.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Russel Peters is in Brampton. Anyways, nothing against any racial group there. Don't want to live in a Chinese-speaking neighbourhood, I can't communicate with them! Last place I lived there was in Markham, greater majority were Chinese (Cantonese actually) speaking. But it was okay. Just avoided the Chinese stores, especially the food places!!! Had a Sri Lankan colleague (doing deliveries) and we got along fine. Never heard anyone bad mouth the Indians as much as this dude (and he is Tamil!!! not Singhalese!!) Oh well, perhaps might want to consider Calgary. See how things turn out further down the road.

Cheers!

Friends told me Brampton property is cheaper than the other cities around Toronto. But alot of Ah Nehs. Mississauga is abit more mixed. I will be visiting Canada shortly, will give you a field report.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am not against suicide. It is your right and your choice. However I question the choice of asking doctors to perform the act of killing another person. There is an occupation where the professionals are trained to kill others. They are called assassins.

If you take a slightly broader perspective the ending of a life can be considered as a subset of "relieving pain and suffering" from a terminal illness.

Doctors interfere with bodily functions on a daily basis and the administration of a drug to put an end to intolerable pain permanently would logically come under the jurisdiction of the medical profession.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If you take a slightly broader perspective the ending of a life can be considered as a subset of "relieving pain and suffering" from a terminal illness.

Doctors interfere with bodily functions on a daily basis and the administration of a drug to put an end to intolerable pain permanently would logically come under the jurisdiction of the medical profession.

Sam, doctors already do this. It is called palliative medicine. To be honest, many a time we give patients enough medication to relieve pain and suffering that it might have contributed to their final demise. But it was not with the intention of ending their lives.

This whole assisted suicide thing has more to do with conditions like ALS. However, the courts have opted to expand the application to other conditions without specifying which.

As I said, we can relieve pain and suffering but to say ending a patient`s life as a broader perspective of relieving pain and suffering is like saying someone with chronic knee pain should have an above knee amputation to relieve that pain and suffering.

Depends also on your perspective of life. Is life about suffering? Do we live to enjoy and be happy all the time. Or is life really about managing our "suffering"?

Ending one's life doesn't have to be in the hands of doctors. Doctors are required to relieve suffering and pain without killing their patients.

No one really know if death itself is painful or not. No one has *ahem* lived to explain the experience of death.

For example many people die asleep in their cars from carbon monoxide poisoning. I believe this is a painless way to die. Except the body looks horrible (all pink).

What's the difference really then if the real issue is painless death?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Russel Peters is in Brampton. Anyways, nothing against any racial group there. Don't want to live in a Chinese-speaking neighbourhood, I can't communicate with them! Last place I lived there was in Markham, greater majority were Chinese (Cantonese actually) speaking. But it was okay. Just avoided the Chinese stores, especially the food places!!! Had a Sri Lankan colleague (doing deliveries) and we got along fine. Never heard anyone bad mouth the Indians as much as this dude (and he is Tamil!!! not Singhalese!!) Oh well, perhaps might want to consider Calgary. See how things turn out further down the road.

Cheers!

Markham is actually more PRC land now. Ah Tiongs are everywhere.

You go Calgary, our SBF doctor can be your guide.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Markham is actually more PRC land now. Ah Tiongs are everywhere.

You go Calgary, our SBF doctor can be your guide.

Won't work lah. I actually started off in Edmonton. If you go Edmonton I can try asking my ex-colleagues at the PVC windows factory if can get a job for you. Oil is down so I doubt the Oil and Gas Land Administration sector has many openings at the moment.

Calgary.....I came here for my family medicine residency. Other than that I have no idea what kind of jobs are available here. City wise Calgary is a lot less friendly than Edmonton IMHO. If not for the job I would not have moved to Calgary.