• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no perfect place or system. But the important thing is we are happy. For a long time in Singapore we were UNHAPPY.

It has nothing to do with left wing right wing. Even if Singapore became left wing, the sinkies will still be unhappy and have all kinds of things to complain about.

Sinkapore under the PAP can never be left wing because it would be antithetical to the PAP principles.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Sinkapore under the PAP can never be left wing because it would be antithetical to the PAP principles.

Hmm you see winnipegjets, you are imagining things. I never said sinkapore be left wing under PAP. I just said Singapore become left wing.

You will never leave Sinkapore because of your obsession with the PAP. I feel very sorry for you.

All this left wing right wing what's it really for?

I really pity you. You know that I cannot sponsor you. It is not possible.

I hope you find some direction in life.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hmm you see winnipegjets, you are imagining things. I never said sinkapore be left wing under PAP. I just said Singapore become left wing.

If sinkapore becomes progressive, it can be another Scandinavian country ...and the quality of life will truly be world-class.
You will never leave Sinkapore because of your obsession with the PAP. I feel very sorry for you.
Please be sorry for me coz I want to get out but can't yet. So, while I am here, I have to do what I have to do.

All this left wing right wing what's it really for?
I am proud to be progressive (CONs like to call progressive, leftist) because it is against human nature to care about bigger things than just ourselves.
I really pity you. You know that I cannot sponsor you. It is not possible.
It is possible if you want to.

hope you find some direction in life.
I will have find my nirvana, definitely not in Alberta.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Charlie99. Yes that would describe my family and I in Alberta.

There is no perfect place or system. But the important thing is we are happy. For a long time in Singapore we were UNHAPPY.

It has nothing to do with left wing right wing. Even if Singapore became left wing, the sinkies will still be unhappy and have all kinds of things to complain about.

Most important is to be happy.............................................and healthy.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. How does ICA beomes aware that you have acquired the citizenship of another country?
2. Do you reside in Singapore?

1. I did declare on the renewal form that I am a citizen of another country. Of course you can don't declare, but bear in the mind that would be lying under oath. Knowing how petty they are.....

2. of course not.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is YMMV?
Did the ICA request you to renounce your Singapore citizenship?

Actually they just reminded me that I cannot hold dual citizenship,as the laws do not allow it.

So whoever that keep saying there is no law stating that this is the case, you are wrong.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such law in Singapore forbidding the holding of foreign citizenship. Its rubbish and myth repeated by the ignorant. No one has been be prosecuted or charged in court since we achieved independence because no such law exist. The govt however does not enourage holding foreign citizenship which is a very different matter.

ICA or govt correspondence is very careful in not stating that it is a breach of the law as that would be false. It however will ask you to give up on your foreign citizenship if for instance you returned to Singapore to work while holding dual citizenship etc. This notification will usually be issued just as you approach one year of working here. The smart ones will give up on their Singapore citizenship continue working here and there is nothing the Govt can do.

You can paste a copy of the corrspondence by masking your personal details and I can guarantee you there is no mention of a "law" or a reference to a law or an offence. Merely that they don't encourage it. Singaporeans have always struggled with English. They tend to imagine things. The recent renewal form for passports now contains more fields including what travel documents one used if the Singapore passport expired and was not renewed whilst overseas indicating a gap.

Actually they just reminded me that I cannot hold dual citizenship,as the laws do not allow it.

So whoever that keep saying there is no law stating that this is the case, you are wrong.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such law in Singapore forbidding the holding of foreign citizenship. Its rubbish and myth repeated by the ignorant. No one has been be prosecuted or charged in court since we achieved independence because no such law exist. The govt however does not enourage holding foreign citizenship which is a very different matter.

ICA or govt correspondence is very careful in not stating that it is a breach of the law as that would be false. It however will ask you to give up on your foreign citizenship if for instance you returned to Singapore to work while holding dual citizenship etc. This notification will usually be issued just as you approach one year of working here. The smart ones will give up on their Singapore citizenship continue working here and there is nothing the Govt can do.

You can paste a copy of the corrspondence by masking your personal details and I can guarantee you there is no mention of a "law" or a reference to a law or an offence. Merely that they don't encourage it. Singaporeans have always struggled with English. They tend to imagine things. The recent renewal form for passports now contains more fields including what travel documents one used if the Singapore passport expired and was not renewed whilst overseas indicating a gap.

the ICA case officer specifically told me that the law does not allow it. Unless you work in ICA, i suggest your should stop peddling this

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
the ICA case officer specifically told me that the law does not allow it. Unless you work in ICA, i suggest your should stop peddling this

Did ICA 'force' you to renounce your SG citizenship since it's against the law? Cannot renew SG passport is one thing(still can travel in/out SG with foreign passport). But isn't it an offence to hold dual citizenships since it's against the law?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When your passport renewal is rejected you are notifed in writing the reasons for it.
This is not about buying a plate of char kway teow from a hawker.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
When your passport renewal is rejected you are notifed in writing the reasons for it.
This is not about buying a plate of char kway teow from a hawker.

Chewed applied for a Singapore passport renewal. It was rejected. Chewed suggests that it was because he/she held another country's citizenship. Scroobal, are you saying that there were probably other reasons why the passport renewal application was rejected?

I would find it strange that ICA would approve renewals for Singapore passports for people with dual citizenships when they go around telling people they cannot have dual citizenships.

Granted there may not be an actual law in writing as interpreted by "experts" that says it is illegal for Singaporeans to hold dual citizenships, but it is a moot point to refuse to renounce Singapore citizenship, leave your CPF for Temasek to invest, and have no Singapore passport and receive constant reminder letters (spam) to renounce one of your citizenships. What good does that do for anyone?

Unless you can advise a course of action for chewed to undertake to "force" ICA to renew his/her Singapore passport?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who have little in their CPF account, or could not care less about the CPF,
then there is no need to renounce Singapore citizenship.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
For those who have little in their CPF account, or could not care less about the CPF,

What good is it to have Singapore citizenship, when you have no valid Singapore passport, and continue to get reminders from the authorities stating that it is "illegal" to have dual citizenships?

What's so good about Singapore citizenship in name?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What good is it to have Singapore citizenship, when you have no valid Singapore passport, and continue to get reminders from the authorities stating that it is "illegal" to have dual citizenships?

What's so good about Singapore citizenship in name?

I suppose it is of no benefit, if one has SG citizenship but not the passport.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

with the new medishield policy, i'm receiving kpkb complaints from sinkies who are pr in u.s. but still sg citizens with little in their cpf balance. they receive letters asking them to pay in cash or money orders as there's not enough money in their medisave accounts. the problem is that laws and policies can suka suka be enacted overnight rendering fence sitters optionless and powerless and cornering them to make a fateful (final) decision. might as well make the decision as soon as possible. chow kuan sinkies as usual like to straddle the fence and squeeze milk out of both sides. everything for themselves and about themselves. bunch of selfish morons.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
with the new medishield policy, i'm receiving kpkb complaints from sinkies who are pr in u.s. but still sg citizens with little in their cpf balance. they receive letters asking them to pay in cash or money orders as there's not enough money in their medisave accounts. the problem is that laws and policies can suka suka be enacted overnight rendering fence sitters optionless and powerless and cornering them to make a fateful (final) decision. might as well make the decision as soon as possible. chow kuan sinkies as usual like to straddle the fence and squeeze milk out of both sides. everything for themselves and about themselves. bunch of selfish morons.

They have reviewed the rules and you can now apply for suspension and refund of the medishield life premiums.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/medishield-life/resources---faqs/faqs.html#16

See under "Medishield Life coverage for overseas Singaporeans"

It is interesting because the review now allows people to suspend the premium payments, even get refunds on what had been paid, but also allowing them to be eligible for Medishield Life if they returned to Singapore and paid the premiums that were due.

I find this very strange. It is like allowing the overseas Singaporeans their cake and eat it. In other words, you have Medishield Life coverage period. All you need to do to activate it is to pay premiums that are due. But you DO NOT need to pay regular premiums. Only when and if you need the insurance plan. And if you never need the insurance plan, you get to keep the premiums you would have paid. I have never heard of such an insurance scheme.

Amazing isn't it?

1. Under what circumstances would I be required to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest?
You would only have to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest if (a) you choose to relocate back to Singapore, (b) no longer meet the eligibility criteria for suspension of premium collection, or (c) choose to claim and benefit from MediShield Life payouts. Once this happens, your suspension of MediShield Life premium collection will cease and you will have to pay the full sum of premiums suspended from collection, with compound interest.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They have reviewed the rules and you can now apply for suspension and refund of the medishield life premiums.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/medishield-life/resources---faqs/faqs.html#16

It is interesting because the review now allows people to suspend the premium payments, even get refunds on what had been paid, but also allowing them to be eligible for Medishield Life if they returned to Singapore and paid the premiums that were due.

I find this very strange. It is like allowing the overseas Singaporeans their cake and eat it. In other words, you have Medishield Life coverage period. All you need to do to activate it is to pay premiums that are due. But you DO NOT need to pay regular premiums. Only when and if you need the insurance plan. And if you never need the insurance plan, you get to keep the premiums you would have paid. I have never heard of such an insurance scheme.

Amazing isn't it?

thanks for the update. will propagate news to those sinkies in u.s. who kpkb. they taketh, they giveth, they taketh away, and they are baiting. perhaps, they want us back for good. i'm not biting. :p :wink:

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They remind you and you ignore ...what will they do? Nothing.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Amazing isn't it?

1. Under what circumstances would I be required to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest?
You would only have to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest if (a) you choose to relocate back to Singapore, (b) no longer meet the eligibility criteria for suspension of premium collection, or (c) choose to claim and benefit from MediShield Life payouts. Once this happens, your suspension of MediShield Life premium collection will cease and you will have to pay the full sum of premiums suspended from collection, with compound interest.

They don't want to lose lots of CPF cash ...if you ask to become sinkee again, they will gladly take you back as long as you are able to pay back your CPF money.