• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Police outreach using new media

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Crime/Story/A1Story20090416-135648.html

Thu, Apr 16, 2009
AsiaOne

20090416.144010_odpd3.jpg

Police outreach using new media

The Singapore Police Force (SPF) and Straits Times RazorTV have collaborated on a new online programme.

"i-Witness", a programme streamed on RazorTV provides a channel for the Police to appeal for information on unsolved crime cases and promote crime prevention.

The first two episodes focus on loansharks caught on CCTV, and snatch theft against the elderly.

These episodes are also available on Facebook and YouTube, to complement the Police's outeach to the public using both traditional media and new media. This is in line with law enforcement agencies in other countries that are also using new media to solve crimes and apprehend criminals.

"i-Witness" videos appeal to younger and Net-savvy Singaporeans to come forward, should they have information regarding unsolved crime cases.

Straits Times RazorTV is an online television service that broadcasts live from Singapore Press Holdings' Multimedia Centre web studio.

It offers news and lifestyle content through live streaming and video-on-demand.

"i-Witness" video appeals are presented through the National Crime Prevention Council, with the support of Shaw Foundation and Shell Petroleum.

The video clips will be produced on a monthly basis and co-hosted by younger officers from the Police force and a RazorTV host.

» Check out the first episode: Harassed by loansharks

» Photo gallery: Harassed by loansharks

» Readers' comments

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_364792.html

i-Witness
Police launch online initiatives to reach Net-savvy S'poreans

THE police and RazorTV have launched an online programme called i-Witness, in a bid to reach out to young and media-savvy Singaporeans.

Similar to TV programme Crimewatch, the 12 episodes of i-Witness are hosted by a police officer and a RazorTV journalist.

In recognition of the potential of new media, the cops have also launched their official Facebook page this year, on top of a channel on popular video-sharing site YouTube last year.

This was announced at the police workplan seminar at Republic Polytechnic yesterday.

RazorTV's i-Witness videos are professionally-edited clips of three minutes that appeal to the public to come forward with information on unsolved crimes.

The first episode of i-Witness, which is now available on RazorTV's website, highlights victims who have been harassed by illegal moneylenders.

The footage came from actual recording of loansharks captured by security cameras.

Deputy Prime Minister and Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng said at the seminar: 'Police must continue to adapt and evolve, especially in tapping on new technologies and channels to reach out to the community.'

RazorTV editor Jonathan Ng said: 'We are very happy to be involved in this collaboration with the police. As Singapore's only Web-TV channel, we can connect much more effectively with the Net-savvy generation which the police are targeting.'

The i-Witness episodes will be aired on RazorTV once per month over a one-year period. -- MY PAPER