• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Mindef IT Kenna Cyber Attack! Guess the Nationality?

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
MINDEF Internet system breached; data stolen from national servicemen, employees

SINGAPORE: A breach in an Internet-connected system at the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) earlier this month has resulted in the personal data of 850 national servicemen and employees being stolen, the ministry said on Tuesday (Feb 28).

No classified military data were stolen in the breach of the I-net system, MINDEF said. Classified military information is stored on a separate system that is not connected to the Internet and has more stringent security features, it added.

The I-net system is used by national servicemen and MINDEF employees to access the Internet via dedicated terminals in ministry premises and Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) camps.

The stolen personal data include NRIC numbers, telephone numbers and dates of birth – information which was stored on the system for account management, such as to track usage and surfing behaviour. No passwords were lost, the ministry said.

The affected server was disconnected after the breach was discovered, with immediate and detailed forensic investigations conducted on the entire I-net system to determine the extent of the attack, MINDEF said.

ATTACKS WERE TARGETED, WELL-PLANNED: MINDEF

According to MINDEF, the attack originated online and not from an SAF camp, and the aim was to gain access to official secrets.

"The attacks were targeted and well-planned. Based on our investigations, they are not the work of casual hackers or criminal gangs," said MINDEF's Deputy Secretary for Technology David Koh.

Mr Koh, who also leads the Government's Cyber Security Agency (CSA), added that the physical, multi-layered separation of I-net from internal systems prevented the attackers from being able to penetrate deeper into internal systems containing classified military information.

MINDEF said it has informed CSA and the Government Technology Agency of Singapore to investigate other government systems. No breaches of these systems have been detected so far.

As a precaution, all other computer systems in MINDEF and SAF will be checked, it added.

HELPDESK TO BE SET UP FOR AFFECTED PERSONNEL

The ministry will contact the national servicemen and employees who had their data stolen within the week. They will be advised to change their passwords for other systems that may use the stolen personal information, and to report any unusual activity in the use of their personal information to MINDEF or SAF. A special helpdesk will also be set up to assist them.

On why the breach was not announced earlier, MINDEF said it needed to maintain operational security and to conduct its investigation. It added that a press briefing was called once the extent and severity of the breach were clear.

Despite the incident, MINDEF said it will not cut off Internet access for national servicemen and employees, but will continue to strengthen its cyberdefence as the level of attacks rise.

"It's no secret that government agencies, including MINDEF, are prime targets, and we are under constant cyberattack. Because of this we need to continually be vigilant and improve our cyber defences so that we remain resilient against cyberattacks," said Mr Koh.

This is the first such cybersecurity breach in MINDEF. Other significant cyberattacks on the Singapore Government include the breach of the Foreign Affairs Ministry's IT system in 2014, and the hacking of the Istana and Prime Minister's Office websites in 2013.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The stolen personal data include NRIC numbers, telephone numbers and dates of birth – information which was stored on the system for account management, such as to track usage and surfing behaviour. No passwords were lost, the ministry said.

This is really bad, a foreign security agency can look up the address of some Colonel, contact him, threaten him or his family, and get all the info they want?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is really bad, a foreign security agency can look up the address of some Colonel, contact him, threaten him or his family, and get all the info they want?

Can contact them erase your name from the system & list you, as exempted from NS, Reservists or down grade to PSe...or defer till, the "saints come marching in"??

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how can that be? Mindef leh, firewall gao lat gao lat. i reckon the chief clerk never log off her Winsdoze PC, some NSF jee siao siao, si gina, play prank on her by stealing the data. lol...:biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fucking chinks! If it ain't them, it must be the Ivans or the North Koreans! The SAF band of brothers is waiting for PM Lee, our Alpha, to declare war.

DbzZdlE.gif

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking chinks! If it ain't them, it must be the Ivans or the North Koreans! The SAF band of brothers is waiting for PM Lee, our Alpha, to declare war.

This Sinkieland piece of shit is very good at hype, dunno what Hub this Hub that, innovation lah, fintech lah, cyber-security centre etc etc.

Just like cyber-security. So much nonsense 'initiatives" by IDA (now rebranded GovTech), flooded with jiak liao bee scholars, FT "experts" and third world engineers. However ask yourself, any Cybersecurity brand come out of Singapore? ZERO.

Even Taiwan has their own companies like Sophos, Trend Micro, Russian has Kaspersky, of course China with likes of Huawei (often reverse engineering and improving on Angmo hardware), US with its numerous start ups and world class brands.

Buaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
how can that be? Mindef leh, firewall gao lat gao lat. i reckon the chief clerk never log off her Winsdoze PC, some NSF jee siao siao, si gina, play prank on her by stealing the data. lol...:biggrin:

Talking about Chief Clerk, it reminds me of a ten cent coin in Hokkien.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heard its dy sec over news- he seem glad that something like that happened. Sad. But why ?

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is the Russians. Gotta be the Russians.

Alternatively, should no proof be found to pin it on the Russians, then it certainly must be China.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
fake news, its a 600 pound orange goleela with a small penis sitting on a sofa in trump tower

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

DbzZdlE.gif

i hope gahment will issue me with enough vitamin m or sex vouchers so i can launch my commando attack against china in geylang

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
when will the chief of staff be charged for negligence?

lose men not in battle, lose terrex and lose data to donno who?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Can contact them erase your name from the system & list you, as exempted from NS, Reservists or down grade to PSe...or defer till, the "saints come marching in"??

Don't think so small lah. If can access my info like that, then wipe all traces of my existence from the tax records. No need to ever pay income or property tax again. Better yet, if they have access to all the data, why not promote me to BG or full bird Colonel Ret., then I sit back and wait for my pension cheques every month.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
when will the chief of staff be charged for negligence?

lose men not in battle, lose terrex and lose data to donno who?

They definitely know who breached them, they are just not saying. Every agency in the US or elsewhere that has been a victim of cyber attack can trace it to the country of the attack, be it China, or Russia, etc. For sure, we can trace it too, and they just don't want to say who. My guess is, its China.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It is the Russians. Gotta be the Russians.

Alternatively, should no proof be found to pin it on the Russians, then it certainly must be China.

It must be from a country so
sensitive to them that they do not dare to reveal it. If its the Ukraine, for sure they will say it. But if its China or US, they will keep quite like the coward chicken shits they are.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This Sinkieland piece of shit is very good at hype, dunno what Hub this Hub that, innovation lah, fintech lah, cyber-security centre etc etc.

Just like cyber-security. So much nonsense 'initiatives" by IDA (now rebranded GovTech), flooded with jiak liao bee scholars, FT "experts" and third world engineers. However ask yourself, any Cybersecurity brand come out of Singapore? ZERO.

Even Taiwan has their own companies like Sophos, Trend Micro, Russian has Kaspersky, of course China with likes of Huawei (often reverse engineering and improving on Angmo hardware), US with its numerous start ups and world class brands.

Yep, its all smoke and mirrors, and no substance.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't think so small lah. If can access my info like that, then wipe all traces of my existence from the tax records. No need to ever pay income or property tax again. Better yet, if they have access to all the data, why not promote me to BG or full bird Colonel Ret., then I sit back and wait for my pension cheques every month.

A private like you, suddenly become a BG, bound to raise a few eyebrows...this rise is only limited to a clown like "mee siam mai hum" ha ha ha

Have fought no war..we have battle machines, being seized by our COMMUNISTS ENEMIES...those communists alive must be laughing in the socks & those, who..rattling in the graves or churning in their urns. Now the servers got raided. During my time, your personal docket goes missing is a common thing...mine was...ha ha ha..still M.I.A. it got lost, between HQ/Company/Brigade offices....

Why the HEN never come clean over these happenings?, which are serious, especially it concern the security & safety of a nation...your battle machines are held by the communists, your personal data, most likely stolen by "communists" again..Russians, Chinese or even Koreans ( North)....

Why that $8 cow never demand an answer or suggest harakiri.....a spade is a spade...WHY THE ONLY OPPOSITION HERE IS SO QUIET over these...

I use to warn people I know, over the many...many...many..years....we might wake up one day to read from the papers or from the media...ALL OUR CPF MONEY IS ALL GONE....if MINDEF servers can be breached...what if....one day, you read that, your CPF BALANCE IS ZERO..some hackers wiped them out plus the back up...

Best you print out your statement of account regularly or get CPF to send your hard copy....that goes for all your bank statements...anything that says you have a balance with money...those whom you owe they can safely wipe them out... ha ha ha

But your CPF MONEY...PLEASE WATCH IT LIKE A HAWK...BE WARNED.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
A private like you, suddenly become a BG, bound to raise a few eyebrows...this rise is only limited to a clown like "mee siam mai hum" ha ha ha

Have fought no war..we have battle machines, being seized by our COMMUNISTS ENEMIES...those communists alive must be laughing in the socks & those, who..rattling in the graves or churning in their urns. Now the servers got raided. During my time, your personal docket goes missing is a common thing...mine was...ha ha ha..still M.I.A. it got lost, between HQ/Company/Brigade offices....

Why the HEN never come clean over these happenings?, which are serious, especially it concern the security & safety of a nation...your battle machines are held by the communists, your personal data, most likely stolen by "communists" again..Russians, Chinese or even Koreans ( North)....

Why that $8 cow never demand an answer or suggest harakiri.....a spade is a spade...WHY THE ONLY OPPOSITION HERE IS SO QUIET over these...

:p

All very good points. As I have said many times before. WHO IS OUR ENEMY? It turns out that we are our own worse enemy. The people of singapore are in more danger from the PAP then from any external enemies. Why fear terrorism, when already we are living in fear that our personal info will get stolen, our wives and GF will be rape or molested by FTs, our jobs will be take over by cheaper betterer, imports, etc. These are all things that are a terror to us. In the end, what is some fucking terrorist going to do that is worse then a daily dose of all this?