• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious More $$$ Sucking Initiatives - Full Cashless Payment for Hawkers!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore mulls over creating cashless payment tech for hawker centres, shops

And check out what other tech plans PM Lee has in mind.

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong envisions the country to shape technology more as it gears toward the realisation of the Smart Nation Initiative.

During the dialogue at Camp Sequoia, PM Lee said Singapore has an advantage as a city that is compact and wired up.

"It is economical for us to provide very high-quality infrastructure, and we have people who take to it naturally. Individually, they know how to operate their phones or play Starcraft, Warcraft. That is why we pay attention to encouraging start-ups, using tech, having what we call a Smart Nation initiative," he said.

One such technology he would like to see is a good electronic payment system. PM Lee argued that Singapore has a lot to learn from other countries in terms of cashless payment systems.

"We have not gone as far as we need in order to do cashless payments in hawker centres, in shops, between people. I was complaining to my Permanent Secretaries the other day. The Ministers have lunch once a week together, we pay for our own lunch and there is one Minister in charge of making a collection. We made a great step forward when he said: 'I do not want to receive cash anymore, please write me cheques.' The Permanent Secretaries told me they are one step ahead, they use Pay-lah, which is a DBS application. But it shows how non-pervasive it is and what the potential is if we can get it through," PM Lee explained.

More so, PM Lee mentioned that the government is thinking about a national identity system aside from SingPass, which is used for government services.

"It does not even extend to hospitals which are restructured, semi-privatised. We need a good digital identification service which is reliable, which everybody can rely on. I can sign, I can identify myself, I can access services securely, and I can transact services online. The Estonians have this: there is no reason why we should not have it," he stressed.

Meanwhile, PM Lee pointed out that the transport system could benefit from the use of information technology, making the system more responsive and adaptive. It will also be able to cut down on empty routes and unnecessary services

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually compared to HK.. cashless payments have not really taken up. In HK tourist will buy octopus card and use for public tpt n makan etc..In Singkieland cash still favoured...But ultimately most important is convenience to the consumer..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He can only hold the attention of Singaporeans with this kind of BS. The African countries have had "Pay-lah" equivalent for years. Go see M-Pesa. ANZ had it for nearly 10 years. Really a blittering idiot. The Ang Mos at the seminar must be laughing their head off.

"We have not gone as far as we need in order to do cashless payments in hawker centres, in shops, between people. I was complaining to my Permanent Secretaries the other day. The Ministers have lunch once a week together, we pay for our own lunch and there is one Minister in charge of making a collection. We made a great step forward when he said: 'I do not want to receive cash anymore, please write me cheques.' The Permanent Secretaries told me they are one step ahead, they use Pay-lah, which is a DBS application. But it shows how non-pervasive it is and what the potential is if we can get it through," PM Lee explained.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have used ApplePay since it began and I don't even have to activate the bloody phone or turn on any app. Just put the phone next to the payment terminal and put your finger to approve payment. Not only you get the receipt for the payment, none of the card or personal details are captured by the merchant or their cashiers.

Actually compared to HK.. cashless payments have not really taken up. In HK tourist will buy octopus card and use for public tpt n makan etc..In Singkieland cash still favoured...But ultimately most important is convenience to the consumer..

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

It because retailers need to pay nets fee.