• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Read Teo Hock Seng's views.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/sports/football/teo-hock-seng-speaks-hearts-missing-spore-football-these-days
Heart’s missing in Singapore football these days: Teo Hock Seng

The S.League must go on because it is our own league, says Komoco Motors' group managing director Teo Hock Seng. Photo: Robin Choo

BY
NOAH TAN
[email protected]ISHED: 12:00 PM, FEBRUARY 26, 2017UPDATED: 12:00 PM, FEBRUARY 26, 2017
SINGAPORE – Since stepping down as chairman of five-time S.League champions Tampines Rovers in November 2015, Teo Hock Seng has kept a low profile in local football.

But last week, the 70-year-old made a grand return when Hyundai Motors was unveiled as the new co-title sponsor of the S.League in a two-year deal believed to be worth about S$1 million.

Teo is the group managing director of Komoco Motors, the sole distributor of Hyundai cars in Singapore.

Despite his recent absence from the sport, it is clear that Teo’s passion for Singapore football still burns brightly

In a wide-ranging interview with Noah Tan ([email protected]), the outspoken “Godfather” of Singapore football shared his thoughts on the S.League, the state of football here, the upcoming Football Association of Singapore (FAS) elections, and shares why he hires footballers to work for him at Komoco Motors.

What is your take on the current state of Singapore football?

There were things that happened that came to block its progress.

I think going back to the Malaysia Cup was kind of a hindrance. We didn't have enough (good) players to go around (for the S.League), and then we plucked the best players from the clubs to play in Malaysia. Where is the pride and loyalty? Malaysia Cup or S.League? So we lost out on quite a lot there.

The following here is also not big enough to support two types of leagues, and as a result, the S.League dipped.

But go back to the first year of the S.League. Top teams like Woodlands playing Geylang - we had a full house, over 30,000 (fans) at the old National Stadium. Why can't we do it now? Something is wrong.

The aftermath of the success (in the Malaysia Cup) in 1994, and today is a world of difference. But we have to (find a way) to come back somehow. That's the key.

Today, nobody really bothers (about the S.League) because it's gone down. The people who ran it (the S.League and the clubs) back then had passion. Sorry to say but now, what sort of passion is there now?

Also today, people are different from my time. I think the spirit of volunteerism is not so strong today…it has become every man for himself.

But in the early days, to volunteer was great. When I helped (former FAS president) Mr N Ganesan, we were all volunteers. We were willing to help. He asked us to do anything, jump how high, we would just jump. But today, it is very hard to get volunteers like that.

When I go to the FAS for meetings, I don’t see anybody coming early. Everybody’s late, and that’s not the way, You must come on time, and that is the sickness in sports now. Sorry but that's the truth.

As for the administration in local football, I think there should be some respect (for other people’s views) or accountability (for the things you say or do).

Now that you’ve brought in Hyundai, what’s your dream for the S.League?

Like anywhere else in the world, the league supports the national team. Without a good professional league, how do you enhance and get players up to the mark?

I'm very proud to have run a club where I had six to seven players playing for the national team. That's a pride money can't buy.

We need to go back to building the pool of players. Now, we have to come back to square one to see how we can do a little bit more youth development and enhance the Prime League.

I think we sort of more or less know how we can improve it. Let’s see what other connections we (Hyundai) have – not necessarily money – to move (the S.League) up one gear. That's the objective.

Should the focus then be on improving the S.League, rather than on other ‘products’?

Different people have different agendas, but the S.League has to go on because it is our own league.

It’s also sad that some of our players want to go to Thailand, Malaysia… How much better can you be going to Thailand or Malaysia for a few dollars more?

(Ideally), they should be playing here where we can monitor them. I think this issue has to be looked into.

If you want to play overseas, (make sure) it has to be a good overseas stint, rather than a half-baked one.

Will you consider supporting the amateur leagues like the National Football League (NFL)?

I think we can look into it. The clubs say they aren’t getting enough support, although I think that’s a responsibility for the FAS rather than an outsider.

Why are you always hiring current and former footballers to work at Komoco Motors?

I take them on so that they can gain some work experience.

But there’s a lot of difference in attitudes between a sportsman and a non-sportsman. When you give a footballer the guidance, they will take on the responsibility (in work) themselves. It’s proven that they can succeed in the working world.

You take midfielder Fabian Kwok as an example. When I interviewed him, he told me his only work experience was as a storekeeper during national service.

After putting him here in Komoco as a management trainee, three of my divisions - Harley-Davidson, Chrysler and Hyundai - everybody wants him because he’s good. So he’s working and gaining experience and he’s got a life after football.

You also look at former national winger Rahman Nongchik. He’s worked for me for 31 years. He started as a mechanic and currently he’s in charge of breakdowns. It shows that you look after them, they’ll look after you.

Now, his son is working for me. It’s the second generation working here, and that’s very hard to find.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/sports/football/teo-hock-seng-speaks-hearts-missing-spore-football-these-days
Heart’s missing in Singapore football these days: Teo Hock Seng

The S.League must go on because it is our own league, says Komoco Motors' group managing director Teo Hock Seng. Photo: Robin Choo

A load of bull. The s-league was dying before singapore re-joined the malaysia cup. What is this teo doing to help local football? Instead of helping to drain the sawmp, he is in long-time sepp blatter crony lim kia tong's team to take over FAS! Fuck off!:kma::oIo: