• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious In Memory of Matthew Si Poh Chuan - nephew of Teo Soh Lung

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My dear nephew, Matthew Si Poh Chuan died in the Bourke St tragedy on 20 Jan 2017. He was a lovely, gentle young man, devoted to his wife, Melinda and daughter of 18 months.
As a child, Matt was always respectful of his elders. He would bake delicious biscuits for his uncles and aunts whenever he visited Singapore. He enjoyed sports, badminton and tennis and was a keen cyclist. As a teenager, he cycled with friends and I to Changi Village boarding the bum boat to Penggarang. We had great fun visiting the ostrich farm and cycling to Sebana and Sungei Ringgit.
Matt was always a responsible big brother to his younger siblings. Once at a café on Sentosa, his brother of about three opened a can of coke and spilled it all over the table. His older brother attempted to sweep off the bubbling liquid before it could drench their clothes. Matt who was then about seven or eight quietly took their hands and led them to the toilet for a clean up. He was calm, solving problems and tackling situations without apportioning blame to anyone. He did what he had to do quietly and effectively. He was never in a hurry.
Matt enjoyed music and was an accomplished violinist. He played with the junior and youth orchestras in Perth. At university, he volunteered with the Red Cross, driving the van to deliver soup to the homeless.
Matt was always observant of his surroundings and enjoyed sketching people on scraps of paper. He liked playing with his brothers and dog and making movies.
Matt loved old things and old buildings. Melbourne with her Victorian houses, churches, public places and famed market was just the ideal city for him to settle in. As an architect, he had a keen eye and I am told was meticulous in his work. His colleague and friends said he was much loved because he was always encouraging, humble and never boast about his achievements.
Matt loved his wife and daughter dearly. He was a doting father, playing and bathing her every night, reading and teaching her Mandarin. He took Thursdays off work to be with her and she looked forward to welcoming him home every evening. It was heart-breaking to hear her call “Papa” when I opened the door at the very time Matt would have returned from work.
Matt is dearly missed by his wife, daughter, parents, parents in law, brothers, relatives and friends. Rest in peace Matt. You are forever in our hearts.
If you would like to help the family, please donate to the cause at
https://www.mycause.com.au/…/in-support-of-matthew-si-and-f…
Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/sohlung.teo

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/143847/in-support-of-matthew-si-and-family-bourke-st-victim

hi all, can help, help, can give, give. blessed!

the story of melbourne bourke st. rampage can be followed here:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...om-bourke-street-rampage-20170127-gu07rp.html

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I digress but something I noticed is that despite leaving Singapore and beginning life in a new country, ex-singaporean parents still teach their kids born in the new country Mandarin rather then actual mother tongue - Hokkein, Teochew etc. No issues if the school had Mandarin classes or they attend Saturday Mandarin classes but at home it is still Mandarin and not the mother tongue. It does tell how far reaching the PAP policy are when they can convince ex-Singaporeans what they mother tongue are.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I digress but something I noticed is that despite leaving Singapore and beginning life in a new country, ex-singaporean parents still teach their kids born in the new country Mandarin rather then actual mother tongue - Hokkein, Teochew etc. No issues if the school had Mandarin classes or they attend Saturday Mandarin classes but at home it is still Mandarin and not the mother tongue. It does tell how far reaching the PAP policy are when they can convince ex-Singaporeans what they mother tongue are.

It makes sense to learn Mandarin. It is used in the whole of China. Dialects have only localised use, for example, Hokkien cannot be used in Xian.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
4 person mati in Oz and one happened to be a sinkie with dissident links.
Confirm is pap kill squad responsible

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe the parents ownself also buay hiao dialects??

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not referring to commercial value of Mandarin when it comes to China. Mandarin can be taken up in schools in Oz, NZ, UK etc and some send their kids to Saturday Mandarin classes in cities in these countries.

I am referring to home. Malaysian Chinese and PRC parents continue to teach their kids their own mother tongue at home and also Mandarin. Indians who migrate also speak their own dialect and then Hindi. Referring to Singapore Chinese who have no idea about their own mother tongue.

It makes sense to learn Mandarin. It is used in the whole of China. Dialects have only localised use, for example, Hokkien cannot be used in Xian.