• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Zikapore Budget 2017: Water Prices To Rise 30% Over Two Years! More Rebates Pls!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
water-prices-annoucned-at-budget-2017-data.png

SINGAPORE: Water prices will increase by 30 per cent in two phases over the next two years, starting from 1 July this year. This is the first time in almost 20 years that the Government would have revised water prices. Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat announced this in his Budget address, almost two weeks after Environment and Water Resources Minister, Masagos Zulkifli, indicated the Government’s intention to do so.

In his speech, Mr Heng said prices need to reflect the rising costs associated with supplying water. He said the cost of producing water has increased with the Government building more desalination and NEWater plants, as well as laying deeper pipes amidst an urbanised environment.

Such costs, said Mr Heng, are necessary investments. “Water sufficiency is a matter of national survival,” he said. “Imported water and local catchment water currently meet more than half of our water demand, but both sources depend heavily on weather conditions.”

Earlier this year, there was a fear that Singapore’s supply of water from the Johor River could be significantly affected if 2017 turned out to be a dry year. The Linggiu Reservoir, which is a critical factor in Singapore being able to abstract water from the Johor River, saw historically low water levels in 2016.

Mr Heng said the increase in water prices will be seen through the restructuring of the Sanitary Appliance Fee (SAF) and the Waterborne Fee (WBF) into a single volume-based fee. Providing more details, national water agency PUB said these two fees currently go towards meeting the cost of treating used water and maintaining the used water network. The single volume-based fee is a better reflection of the volume of used water discharged, it said.

INCREASES TO WATERBORNE FEE, WATER TARIFF AND WATER CONSERVATION TAX

PUB said the WBF fee will increase to 92 cents per cubic metre for households that consume 40 cubic metres of water or less each month. A second tier of the fee will be introduced at a rate of S$1.18 per cubic metre for households which use more than 40 cubic metres. PUB said this is to discourage households from using excessive amounts of water.

The potable water tariff and the water conservation tax will also be adjusted. For example, the tariff for households that consume more than 40 cubic metres of water a month will eventually increase to S$1.52 from July 2018, up from the current S$1.40. Water conservation tax, which is based on the water tariff, will go up to 65 per cent from July 2018, up from the current 45 per cent, for households that consume more than 40 cubic metres of water each month.

The above changes will see the price of water going up by 30 per cent, PUB said.

Mr Heng, however, said that for 75 per cent of households, the increase in monthly water bills will be less than S$18 from July 2018. For three-quarters of businesses, the increase will be less than S$25 a month.

The Finance Minister added that the Government will introduce measures to help lower- and middle-class income households offset the increase.

These include an increase in the GST voucher – Utilities-Save (U-Save) rebate to offset utilities bills; a one-off GST Voucher – Cash Special Payment of up to S$200 for eligible recipients; an extension of the rebate for service and conservancy charges (S&CC) and a personal income tax rebate of 20 per cent, capped at S$500.

WATER PRICES FOR NON-DOMESTIC SECTOR

Water prices for the non-domestic sector, which makes up 55 per cent of total demand, will also be revised. From July 2018, PUB said the water tariff for such consumers using potable water will be increased to S$1.21 per cubic metre, up from the current S$1.17. The water conservation tax will increase to 50 per cent of the water tariff, up from the current 30 per cent. PUB said the adjustments will take place in phases over two years.

Mr Heng said a water conservation tax on the sector’s use of NEWater will also be introduced. This will be at 10 per cent of the increased NEWater tariff, starting from July this year.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...rices-to-rise-by-30-over-2-years/3534474.html

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All this good news when Spore is in a bad recession. Instead of reducing costs to make it easier for "lesser mortals" to eke out a living in expensive Spore. The PAP is determine to make life more difficult by making things even costlier in Spore.

Will the "lesser mortals" remember what the PAP is doing in the next GE:confused:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All this good news when Spore is in a bad recession. Instead of reducing costs to make it easier for "lesser mortals" to eke out a living in expensive Spore. The PAP is determine to make life more difficult by making things even costlier in Spore.

Will the "lesser mortals" remember what the PAP is doing in the next GE:confused:

No, they will not. They will still vote in the PAP!....they have not increased water tariffs for how many years?. Electricity tariffs is going up plus government Gas tariff is going up. Recently I ordered a tank of LPG...it had gone up by $4...a tank cost $28 in November 2016...& February 2017, it was $32. I ask, why the increase , oil prices had gone up...but when it fell..it took ages for the cooking gas prices to come down & so quickly to go up.

Now with commercial establishment having to pay more for water, electricity & cooking gas....surely eating out will increase...never mind....Stinkerporeans are hard of hearing, blind to see & too thick to think....they will be happy with all the "sweeteners" given & then VOTE for PAP..

Wait...akan datang...the new President will get a pay rise plus the cabinet...for they had not an increase since 1996? right?....AKAN DATANG...thank you Stinkerporeans....

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well done. More good years ahead. These minor increases aren't going to affect the upper and top echelons. That's why I'll always trust the PAP to do the job for me as per my signature.

cuckoldoolittle

Alfrescian
Loyal
What else do they know beside taxing own citizens through their noses to finance their fetish lifestyle of aristocracy and erratic investment overseas.
By right the cost of water consumption should be offset by the increase in population without having to burden the indigenous locals.
Instead of reducing their own outrageous salaries they are squeezing every drop from the citizens to maintain their own lavish lifestyle.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Earlier this year, there was a fear that Singapore’s supply of water from the Johor River could be significantly affected if 2017 turned out to be a dry year. The Linggiu Reservoir, which is a critical factor in Singapore being able to abstract water from the Johor River, saw historically low water levels in 2016 ...
watz ze worry? ... can oways depend on ze reliable onions n chillis ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, they will not. They will still vote in the PAP!......

There is another 2 to 3 years before the next GE. I am sure more lay offs are being planned. So I expect it to get worse. Now with all these price hikes it is going to make things harder.

I've seen the crowds in JB. There are now more Sporeans making the trip there. This is how some Sporeans are coping with the price hikes

Nobody can stop the PAP from increasing prices but even Sporeans have a limit. I don't expect the PAP to stop increasing the prices. This is a perennial problem as long as the PAP is in power.

Suharto was forced to step down because of problems with the economy. LHL is not too popular & I think with the way things are going in Spore, he will face the same fate as Suharto?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are so many rich Sinkies, what is a 30% increase? Even primary school children nowadays have handphones. I have the least concern that the PAP will be overthrown because, they'll know how to salvage the situation just before election time, there is no better opposition that is capable of doing this job any better at the moment and finally, the opposition parties can't even unite and show solidarity among themselves.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Last edited:

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you will get to witness more people camping out at east coast park and getting free water from nearby public toilets.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you will get to witness more people camping out at east coast park and getting free water from nearby public toilets.

You just 'let the cat out of the bag'...soon, they will introduce meters there, if you want to use the water for 20 cts, 10 cts for entry etc...

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only 30 percent increase?PAP should force sinkies to assemble under the mountain cliff with buckets and bowls raised to the skies before Immortan Lee releases the water of life to the hungry,dishevelled crowd below like a god.

[video=youtube;d605rM0U3x0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d605rM0U3x0[/video]

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
What they had not mentioned is that the influx of foreigners is the direct cause of increased water consumption. F&B outlets will be jumping at this announcement to increase the prices of beverages. Coffee shops are going to charge $1.50 for a cup of tea/coffee besides reducing the volume of the drink. Cooked food is also going to cost more. Are you happy 70%?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Here's a huge rebate from HDB that would offset the increase in water prices for many sinkie families. As for me and my household, I guess we have to get our maid to wash our cars less often topless.

16648991_1616415428385337_2245232026473092528_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Here's a huge rebate from HDB that would offset the increase in water prices for many sinkie families. As for me and my household, I guess we have to get our maid to wash our cars less often topless.

If she doesn't wash your cars topless, she can squeeze the water from her wet clothes to wash your vegetables. :biggrin:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Water tariffs increase 30% + additional S$0.10 diesel tax per litre = more costs in almost every trade and business operations. Should have also increased the GST to 10% for a more complete Budget 2017. PAP, you're the best in screwing those ungrateful Sinkies kao kao. I don't even need to lift a finger to do it myself.

Last edited:

Geminipegasus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raise water price is to conserve water, simple as that. :cool:

Every morning at dawn, sirens will sound followed by tons of fresh water being released into the sea. I witnessed that Every time I pass by there in the mornings. Water can be conserved just by channelling the fresh water into storage instead of flushing them into the sea.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What they had not mentioned is that the influx of foreigners is the direct cause of increased water consumption. F&B outlets will be jumping at this announcement to increase the prices of beverages. Coffee shops are going to charge $1.50 for a cup of tea/coffee besides reducing the volume of the drink. Cooked food is also going to cost more. Are you happy 70%?

Don't forget that the PAP will stop buying water from Malaysia from 2061. Sporeans have to pay $$$ because the PAP cannot agree to pay a fair price for the water from Malaysia.

I'm not surprised that the PAP cannot come to agreement with the Malaysians. I doubt that the Malaysian want to provide water for 10 million people. This is probably the target that the PAP is planning for.