• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Scorcese tells Boo to Be Angry, PAPsmearer tells Sinkies to Be Angry too

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
[h=1]'Be angry' - Martin Scorsese tells homegrown film-maker Boo Junfeng[/h]
[h=2]Cinema legend Martin Scorsese encourages film-makers to make indie movies even if it is hard getting an audience, as 'the cinema is not a theme park'[/h] Boon Chan
Media Correspondent

Channel your anger - that was what acclaimed American film-maker Martin Scorsese told Singaporean director Boo Junfeng when they met recently.
Asked for advice given the general difficulty of finding an audience for non-mainstream films, Scorsese, 74, told Boo: "You get so mad, you've got to make the film and you've got to show it, you demand the film be shown.
"Because if you don't take advantage of your passion, the cinema will just become a theme park."

His answer resonated with Boo, 33, who tells The Straits Times: "It was very much in line with my beliefs of persisting in my craft and allowing my passion to drive me. The cinema isn't just a theme park - I think that comment he made hit the spot with me."
One of the most iconic characters in American cinema is the intense Travis Bickle played by actor Robert De Niro in Scorsese's seminal 1976 movie Taxi Driver.

Boo is among those it has left a deep impression on.
So he leapt at the chance to meet Scorsese in Taipei, where the filmmaker was to promote his new work, Silence. The film, showing in cinemas here, is about two 17th-century Jesuit priests who journey to Japan to spread the Catholic faith.
Boo, whose feature films are coming-of-age drama Sandcastle (2010) and psychological prison drama Apprentice (2016), says: "I didn't realise this at first, but I think Travis Bickle's loneliness might have partly inspired the characters in some of my films."
His whirlwind 18-hour trip was sponsored by Taipei-headquartered streaming service Catchplay (www.catchplay.com/sg).
A spokesman says the company organised the trip because the service is branded as "for movie lovers, by movie lovers".
"We'd like to be more than just an OTT (over-the-top streaming) content provider. We would like to be part of the film community as well, which is why we invited a director each from Singapore and Indonesia to meet Martin (for him) to share insights with young, up-and-coming directors".
While Boo was nervous about meeting one of the living legends of cinema, he managed to compose himself and handed a DVD of his movie to Scorsese.
He says: "He saw the title of Apprentice and said he's already heard of it from (Cannes film festival head) Thierry Fremaux. I was super happy to hear that."

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]'Be angry' - Martin Scorsese tells homegrown film-maker Boo Junfeng[/h]
[h=2]Cinema legend Martin Scorsese encourages film-makers to make indie movies even if it is hard getting an audience, as 'the cinema is not a theme park'[/h] Boon Chan
Media Correspondent

I would say in all honesty that Boo is a much better director though not in the financial sense than the Teeko Neo, full of crap and slapstick.:rolleyes:
I hope he succeeds and win more accolades for himself!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This chap is a really good director but he should understand Scorsese's World. Niche for Scorsese is still many times bigger than mainstream Singapore. And Scorsese has also indulged in mainstream. Its like a Inuit director making niche films for eskimos - there is no market. Reminds me of the Jansen brothers who insisted that they play their own music and outlets owners decide to go with Filipino bands. With his talent he should head to bigger markets of the World for his niche passion and he will probably do well.

Apprentice is good but its local prison setting meant for local audience. And winning overseas awards at Cannes etc shows he has talent but it is not going to cover cost. And there is a limit on people's finances to carry on when it does not make economic sense no matter how artistic they are. He should head to the US or the UK and break into those markets.