• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat [Smartphone Killer?] Nokia to re-launch 3310 in 2017

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nokia 3310, 'the most reliable phone ever made', to be re-launched at MWC 2017
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]The phone was first released in 2000 and some are still going strong[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Andrew Griffin

@_andrew_griffin

14 hours ago

nokia3310.jpg

[FONT=&amp]Nokia will re-launch the 3310, perhaps the best-loved and most resilient phone in history.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The phone, originally released in 2000 and in many ways beginning the modern age of mobiles, will be sold as a way of getting lots of battery life in a nearly indestructible body.

The new incarnation of the old 3310 will be sold for just €59, and so likely be pitched as a reliable second phone to people who fondly remember it the first time around. It will be revealed at Mobile World Congress later this month, according to leaker Evan Blass who first revealed the details.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]It's still possible to buy the 3310 on Amazon, though only through its marketplace and not directly from the company itself. The Amazon listing describes a range of features, including a clock, calculator, the ability to store up to ten reminders and four games: Snake II, Pairs II, Space Impact, and Bantumi.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Snake was so well-loved that it's currently available for iPhone, Android and Windows phone users to download.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That collection of features has led to it being branded as perhaps the most resilient and long-lasting phone ever made. The reputation has let it become the star of hundreds of memes, and even led people to crush it in a hydraulic press.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Nokia struggled to bring its brand into the smartphone era and ended up being sold to Microsoft. But since then it has targeted success by making new versions of old phones, including the Nokia 215, which costs $29 and lasts for 29 days.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Phones made under the Nokia brand are now sold by HMD Global, a Finnish company that bought the rights to the name. HMD will reveal other new mobiles – the Nokia 3, 5 and 6 – at the same MWC event.

Those other new phones wll be more like smartphones, but will retain much of the same low price.

[/FONT]

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's interesting to see if bleeding edge tech can be beaten by older technology

I can only think of successful case studies pulled off by Harley davison motorbikes and vinyl records

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It spawned an entire cottage industry by itself.

The original phone looks pretty ugly it's no wonder so many ppl modified the phone. Other than ericsson phones nokia phones were also modified by these bengs by putting in these ugly gaudy lights.

What's surprising is that you don't really see this with today's phones. Hardly see anyone modifying their iphones or whatever crap smart phone they have. Iphones are now the ones that spawn a few cottage industries like external powerbanks due to non removable batterie, the charging cable, iphone casing shops and screen protectors and these shops will definitely carry iphone casings. Those stupid pins to take out the sim cards and of course the new lightning cable for iphone 6, SE and upwards.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think society has moved on from such basic phones. I myself have lost the ability to use such keypads. I can't type on those non QWERTY keyboard..And now everything also online..Use Watsapp n Viber.. Such phone have limited use

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
People have moved to text messaging rather than making calls. The only area where voice calls are still prevalent are in the commercial and corporate world. I don't think its reintroduction will ever fly as the market has moved.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
That's a classic ah beng phone.

The battery pack came in various sizes- the original, slim pack and extra bulk. Truly versatile when you need extra juice on the go. The blinking lights were popular in Chaplin, Samsara, Mdm Wong in those days... But I no ah beng...

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The battery pack came in various sizes- the original, slim pack and extra bulk. Truly versatile when you need extra juice on the go. The blinking lights were popular in Chaplin, Samsara, Mdm Wong in those days... But I no ah beng...

Back in those days they had various battery sizes cos the battery is simply attached on the back of the phone. Iphone was the first phone that officially made the battery non removable and nowadays phones with removable batteries only have 1 size. Anyway the damn phone doesn't even have internet capability so nobody was surfing the net or watching videos with their phones anyway.

Nokia should be the first phone that came with large screens.