• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The fallen Tembusu tree and Singapore's state of Productivity

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the 270 year old tree fell at the Botanic gardens, it sadly took away the life of a young mother with 2 kids that had not even reached 2 years old.

It also showed another tragedy, an on-going one of Singapore - its very poor productivity levels that began in the 90s. An army of workers were brought in to remove the tree or whats left of it. And there is whole series of photos in social media contributed by netizens as the operation got underway. 4 men carrying large trunks? Only in urban Singapore you would see these sorts of things unlike any other urban cities.

We are a small island where space is a major premium. We bring in manpower that is quite easily replaced by machines and they come in all sizes and do a multitude of activities in quick time and with much precision. They are also much safer to deploy and social issues arising from their use is minimal. The 4 men carrying the heavy cut log is not at all a safe operation besides being unproductive. How long will this go on.

this tragic incident just shows what is wrong everywhere in singapore. the huge tree do not just suddenly fall. there was no thunderstorm or high winds at that time. in fact the weather was bright and sunny. Its due to incompetence and negligence of all the workers abd stat boards. this case just illustrates or exemplify what is wrong with civil servents and almost all workers in singapore. that's why the MRT breaks down everyday, flooding happenes evvery week, taxis drivers involved in car crashes frequently every day, drunk drivers still btreaking the law and thumbing the nose at authorities, idiots driving againts the alow of traffic killing people. the root cause is nobody gives a damn shit about rules as rules and regulations are not enforced or the penalties are just too light like in drunk or careless driving resulting in fatal accidents. in USA you have what is called strike 3 rules ie if you are charged with 3 offences no matter how minor like stealing, molest etc, you automatically gets life imprisonement ie 20 years behind bars. here you get drunks killing innocent people and they get 1 week jail. what a joke.
anyway the tembuse is on the back of the $5 note. Very Bad omen as it signifies or prophesize the local economy crashing. mark my words.
the last time such a freak accident happen was in 2002 when a crane hit the fountain of wealth in suntec and then in 2003 the SARS, etc came .....and the overnight the economy crashes.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That Tembusu has cable to the Govt that cannot be severed. Imagine husband get deal where his investment clients can get PR while the wife was in cabinet. Singaporeans must be really stupid.

logo11.jpg

This Tembusu is doing well.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I suspect bringing in heavy machinery might rip up the fragile turf in that area. And labour is cheap anyway. So the decision was probably made to get an army of workers to get the job done. In the past they might get NSF army boys to do the job cheaper even. But nowadays there is a lot of backlash about what NSFs do and it has to relate to "training to defend the nation". So banglas are appropriate in this day and age for Singapore.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
J1909b.jpg

$(KGrHqNHJBEE9ps,tP3nBPdnQdqbOw~~_35.JPG

this tragic incident just shows what is wrong everywhere in singapore. the huge tree do not just suddenly fall. there was no thunderstorm or high winds at that time. in fact the weather was bright and sunny. Its due to incompetence and negligence of all the workers abd stat boards. this case just illustrates or exemplify what is wrong with civil servents and almost all workers in singapore. that's why the MRT breaks down everyday, flooding happenes evvery week, taxis drivers involved in car crashes frequently every day, drunk drivers still btreaking the law and thumbing the nose at authorities, idiots driving againts the alow of traffic killing people. the root cause is nobody gives a damn shit about rules as rules and regulations are not enforced or the penalties are just too light like in drunk or careless driving resulting in fatal accidents. in USA you have what is called strike 3 rules ie if you are charged with 3 offences no matter how minor like stealing, molest etc, you automatically gets life imprisonement ie 20 years behind bars. here you get drunks killing innocent people and they get 1 week jail. what a joke.
anyway the tembuse is on the back of the $5 note. Very Bad omen as it signifies or prophesize the local economy crashing. mark my words.
the last time such a freak accident happen was in 2002 when a crane hit the fountain of wealth in suntec and then in 2003 the SARS, etc came .....and the overnight the economy crashes.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect bringing in heavy machinery might rip up the fragile turf in that area. And labour is cheap anyway. So the decision was probably made to get an army of workers to get the job done. In the past they might get NSF army boys to do the job cheaper even. But nowadays there is a lot of backlash about what NSFs do and it has to relate to "training to defend the nation". So banglas are appropriate in this day and age for Singapore.

PAP abused the goodwill and image of NSFs. Parents were angry when their NSF sons were used as free labour to help Ong Beng Seng's F1 races. PAP shd have the moral courage to tell OBS to employ commercial security guards and storemen rather than use NSFs to man traffic and stores

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
scdf_tree.jpg

Feb 11, 2017 08:31 pm
896 Shares
A 40m-tall Tembusu tree fell at the Singapore Botanic Gardens at about 4.30pm on Saturday (Feb 11), killing one person and injuring four.

Police have confirmed that the deceased is a 38-year-old Indian national. Her husband, a 39-year-old French national and their two children, both one-year-old were injured in the incident. A 26-year-old female Singaporean was also injured.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
But sinkies will not leave a crumbling sinking boat. They deserve every bit that will befall them.

Dear Sir,
May I have your permission to use these words in my new poem?

I do apologise for my impulsive behavior but your words were truly compelling as it resonates so well within me...

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Question is: How?

if 51% vote against the pap in aljunied grc, marine parade grc, bishan grc, east coast grc, holland grc, jln besar grc, cck grc, marsiling grc, nee soon grc, hougang smc, tampines grc, pap will be in the opposition

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
J1909a.jpg

J1909b.jpg

New S$5 Notes coming ???

I remember reading about how a cable car fell off a few year ago. Fortunately there was no one in the cab when the incident occured.
So the rot in Spore started a few years ago. Things just don't go wrong overnight. It takes years of neglect.

Even if they replace the note, are they going to start putting a picture of a dead politician who was responsible for putting his son in charge of Spore? The son who failed?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
................shows what is wrong everywhere in singapore....incompetence and negligence of all the workers abd stat boards......MRT breaks down everyday, flooding happenes evvery week, taxis drivers involved in car crashes frequently every day,...... in USA you have what is called strike 3 rules ie if you are charged with 3 offences no matter how minor like stealing, molest etc, you automatically gets life imprisonement ie 20 years behind bars.....
1.why is there 2 threads of the same name by TS?

2. surely you cannot be advocating the 3 strike laws here as the regime is already oppressive enough

3. According to Wiki ,the three-strikes law significantly increases the prison sentences of persons convicted of a felony
who have been previously convicted of two or more violent crimes or serious felonies,examples
being murder,kidnapping, sexual abuse, rape, aggravated robbery, and aggravated assault .I think your example refers mainly to
California where misdemeanours can qualify for application of the three-strikes law

4. I agree with the gist of your argument i,e things are getting from bad to worst but what we need is a new regime, not stricter laws

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Thanks for highlighting, for a moment I thought I was high on rum :p:p:p

The two threads merged.