• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The fallen Tembusu tree and Singapore's state of Productivity

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's a tembusu tree?They just want to honor the deaths of these daft sinkies by giving the tree a exotic name instead of saying they were killed by a rambutan or coconut tree.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Helpful post by CoffeeAhsoh shows that the authorities knew that the roots were weak due to soil compaction from too may visitors and actually fenced off the are tree perimeter to allow the roots to develop. Sadly it was not enough. Did not know about soil compaction until now.

They did not consult Patrick Tan ?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Gone are the days that you ask a human to carry logs of that size no matter the number of people. Eventually it leads to back problems and health issues. It's also not necessary when there are equipment that fits any work place, terrain and surrounding. I have even seen real small bobcats that do landscaping work in backyards. I have seen hand operated trench diggers to hand operated power lifters with small foot print.

I was really surprised to see the 4 men carry that sized log and tembusu is one heavy wood. As the country's national botanic park and coming under NP, I am surprised how they have been doing all their work in the last 20 years. They can buy overpriced Bromptons but not the tools of their trade. Even Singapore Island Country Club have the right equipment to even handle soft greens without damaging it and you never see an army of workers like this lot.

Gone are the days where you can hire cheap domestic helpers to clean your toilets, wash clothes, iron clothes, clean house, cook meals, look after you kids and elderly parents and wash car 24/7.......oops sorry wrong country

No need talk so much about how businessmen exploit cheap labor when a very large proportion of Singapore households exploit cheap labor as a daily routine.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Helpful post by CoffeeAhsoh shows that the authorities knew that the roots were weak due to soil compaction from too may visitors and actually fenced off the are tree perimeter to allow the roots to develop. Sadly it was not enough. Did not know about soil compaction until now.

Was extremely interested to be a Botanist or anything that had to do with nature when I was very young..spent a deal of time, chasing butterflies( with wings type), catching beatles...oops! beetles & bugs etc...collecting & pressing flowers & plants & so forth...& playing with formalin..heh heh... was talked out of it.." BOTANIST"..don't make much money...hmm

Know a wee it of soil , plants etc..wee bit!..still learning today....was watching a HK TV series & learnt the term Aborist..an aborist or arboriculturist....people who are an expert in the management of individual trees..shrubs etc... "a tree doctor".

Now, when I read that Tembusu fell in botanic gardens....NFarks....you think, will bother to employ ARBORISTS? or just some ah neh or pinoys to check on the flora & fauna there...most likely in Sept 2016...a Bangla or ah neh or some guy from Irrawaldy...with a clip board...take a coffeeshop break...walk around the area..admire the "butterflies" ( with legs) that flutter around the PALM VALLEY....tick off the check boxes...make some pretense to look around the tree or trees...go back to the office for an aircond sleep...put the ticked check list on boss table....whoever in charge...just file the necessary....270 YEAR OLD TEMBUSU NO.123212124 Checked, stamped & signed Sept 2016...

How it fell..."act of gourd"..:biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, no arguments from me. The maid carrying the NS guy's backpack is seared in my mind.

Gone are the days where you can hire cheap domestic helpers to clean your toilets, wash clothes, iron clothes, clean house, cook meals, look after you kids and elderly parents and wash car 24/7.......oops sorry wrong country

No need talk so much about how businessmen exploit cheap labor when a very large proportion of Singapore households exploit cheap labor as a daily routine.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times , monday, feb 13, 2017

RiP

Attachments

• P_20170213_115258_NT_1.jpg
    P_20170213_115258_NT_1.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 382

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks a lot, spoilt my day. This prick skipping NS for 12 years and then doing his NS in a lab and not in an Army base really got my goat. And he did the same for his reservist obligation and the country rewarded his parents with the Istana.

They did not consult Patrick Tan ?

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
i know because i worked in insurance dealing with all these labour agents,
its inhumane because some of these banglas or prc borrowed heavily from loan sharks just to come here to slave for 3 years before they even break even….
sometimes these fuckers even whack them when they don't understand instructions

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was extremely interested to be a Botanist or anything that had to do with nature when I was very young..spent a deal of time, chasing butterflies( with wings type), catching beatles...oops! beetles & bugs etc...collecting & pressing flowers & plants & so forth...& playing with formalin..heh heh... was talked out of it.." BOTANIST"..don't make much money...hmm

Know a wee it of soil , plants etc..wee bit!..still learning today....was watching a HK TV series & learnt the term Aborist..an aborist or arboriculturist....people who are an expert in the management of individual trees..shrubs etc... "a tree doctor".

Now, when I read that Tembusu fell in botanic gardens....NFarks....you think, will bother to employ ARBORISTS? or just some ah neh or pinoys to check on the flora & fauna there...most likely in Sept 2016...a Bangla or ah neh or some guy from Irrawaldy...with a clip board...take a coffeeshop break...walk around the area..admire the "butterflies" ( with legs) that flutter around the PALM VALLEY....tick off the check boxes...make some pretense to look around the tree or trees...go back to the office for an aircond sleep...put the ticked check list on boss table....whoever in charge...just file the necessary....270 YEAR OLD TEMBUSU NO.123212124 Checked, stamped & signed Sept 2016...

How it fell..."act of gourd"..:biggrin:

SPOT ON. According to shitty times "he 40m-tall tembusu tree that on Saturday (Feb 11) uprooted and killed a 38-year-old woman and left four others injured was unlikely to have fallen due to the lack of space, said Mr Lahiru Wijedasa, a former senior arborist at Singapore Botanic Gardens.......f"
Massive tembusu trees do not rot or fell over night. there must have been rotting roots and trunk or soome fungus eating into the roots or trunks over the years. the person in charge of checking the trees all these years is another ah neh FT Indian called Lahiru Wijedasa. He is in charge. so he now quickly put the blame on others. I have seen how these people work. they just give a cursory look and off they go.
Google his name and a fellow indian FT pops out. So it could be a case of professional negligence by a fellow countryman from her own country. What a coincidence!!! What karma. !!! tihis country is going to the dogs .in all service industries and so called professionals, there are full of fake " talents" and incompetent lazy buggers. ah neh dies at hand of incompetent ah neh as country iof full of them. now you know why the MRT breaks down every week.!!!

Last edited:

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
these simple equipment below could have saved the broken backs of these poor bangla workers. Nparks and their contractors could have done better.

Bobcat-S130-1.jpg

1472658363-1.png

Truck%20Mounted%20Crane.jpg