• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Concrete Ceiling Collapse In Rental HDB Nearly Kills Pioneer Sinkie! Guess Where?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
concrete_chunks_fall_ceiling_narrowly_missing_elderly_occupant_marine_terrace_1.jpg

Madam Chen was walking to the toilet of her two-room rented flat when concrete pieces from her kitchen ceiling landed just in front of her.

This happened at Block 51 Marine Terrace in the wee hours of Monday morning (Feb 6).

The crash was so loud that their neighbour from a lower floor came up to find out what was happening.

It was not the first time that Madam Chen, 70 years old and her husband Mr Lee, 75 years old, have experienced spalling concrete in their flat. However, this incident was more serious than the previous occasion as the chunks that fell were about the size of a mahjong table.

Officers from the Housing Development Board visited the flat on Monday itself. Temporary repair work was done to prevent more concrete from spalling.

The block is 43 years old. The couple have been living in it for 18 years.

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/a...all-ceiling-narrowly-missing-elderly-occupant
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The HDB flats are built for 99 year lease, but may be due to the humidity, or poor quality or the concrete did not cure properly,
it is falling apart.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The HDB flats are built for 99 year lease, but may be due to the humidity, or poor quality or the concrete did not cure properly,
it is falling apart.

HDB never intended it to last 99 years. therefore, when they sign the lease with you, they are committing fraud. The workmanship, material and design for these buildings maybe will last 50 odd years. The HDB always planned to en bloc it or kick the tenants out and move them to newer estate while they develop taller buildings from the old ones they demolished. Doesn't look like the rebar was laid properly. I can see some overlapping metal bars. And the spalling happens at the boundary of the concrete pour. Maybe the concrete composition was different? Anyway, why are the floors so thin that upstairs can hear the commotion down stairs. Usually concrete sound insulation is quite good at this thickness.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
HDB never intended it to last 99 years. therefore, when they sign the lease with you, they are committing fraud. The workmanship, material and design for these buildings maybe will last 50 odd years. The HDB always planned to en bloc it or kick the tenants out and move them to newer estate while they develop taller buildings from the old ones they demolished. Doesn't look like the rebar was laid properly. I can see some overlapping metal bars. And the spalling happens at the boundary of the concrete pour. Maybe the concrete composition was different? Anyway, why are the floors so thin that upstairs can hear the commotion down stairs. Usually concrete sound insulation is quite good at this thickness.

Singapore is a baby country. This whole 99-year lease scam will come to light as the years go by. Right now, the sinkies still being scammed and they don't realize it. But when it comes to the next generations who have to deal with the fallout when the properties become worthless, that generation will see the light.

Meanwhile, sell sell to these oblivious sinkies!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *choke* *choke* *cough* *cough*

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is falling apart.

too much sand and not enough cement and aggregate/gravel in the concrete mixture. old hdb flats were literally built by hand. as a kid i like to use my bino and watch contractor and his samsui women mix concrete in the construction of neighboring block. it was painstaking. they would mix concrete by hand on the ground and wheelbarrow mixture to upper floors via makeshift ramps, one wheelbarrow at a time. since sand was more abundant and cheaper at that time can remember the sand pile was bigger than the stack of cement bags and gravel pile. the supervisor suka suka anyhow humtum add sand, pour a bag of cement and shovel gravel without following recommended portions for each. the best practice then was anyhow cook a mixture, like char kway teow vendor. can still see the handiwork and workmanship of these blocks built in the 60s and 70s. crooked parapets, uneven walls, cracked ceilings. rebars inside should be rusting and corroding by now.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
too much sand and not enough cement and aggregate/gravel in the concrete mixture. old hdb flats were literally built by hand. as a kid i like to use my bino and watch contractor and his samsui women mix concrete in the construction of neighboring block. it was painstaking. they would mix concrete by hand on the ground and wheelbarrow mixture to upper floors via makeshift ramps, one wheelbarrow at a time. since sand was more abundant and cheaper at that time can remember the sand pile was bigger than the stack of cement bags and gravel pile. the supervisor suka suka anyhow humtum add sand, pour a bag of cement and shovel gravel without following recommended portions for each. the best practice then was anyhow cook a mixture, like char kway teow vendor. can still see the handiwork and workmanship of these blocks built in the 60s and 70s. crooked parapets, uneven walls, cracked ceilings. rebars inside should be rusting and corroding by now.

I was unaware.
Scary

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yes, I remember this too. Also, don't forget a lot of the older flats were build by Thais and Banglas after the samsui women were retired. And these Thais were until a few short weeks before, farmers. while the banglas were uneducated and unemployed. All given some minimal training and then send to build HDB flats in zikapore. Then you wonder why the concrete spalls.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Actually, the most solid flats were those build under SIT and
the low rise blocks in the early estates like Queenstown. But all those are demolished now. They were build really solid, ask any contractor who had to demolish them. But low rise don't make money for the HDB like high rise.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, the most solid flats were those build under SIT and
the low rise blocks in the early estates like Queenstown. But all those are demolished now. They were build really solid, ask any contractor who had to demolish them. But low rise don't make money for the HDB like high rise.

for those flats i'm too young to see how they were built thus cannot provide anecdotal evidence. but i agree with you that they are solidly in stable condition - 1st, they are lower and thus have less weight pressing down; 2nd, they were built in an era when angmo or brit administrators and professionals were still around for plans, permits and supervision; 3rd, early sinkie engineers and professionals were straight arrows and no anyhow humtum char kway teow hawkers. still see low rises of pubic housing in the old airport road area, right across from hawker center. i remember vividly when a chiobu spg dashed from bus stop to the nearest ground floor (open) doorway where an uncle was standing, shoved him aside, and proceeded to shit in his loo. must be the runs from bad bee hoon. from that moment on i started having fascination with runny fecal matter.

Alamakinky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are aged 69 like me then you would have seen lots of the samsui women working on the old SIT flats. They were hardy and tough and many of them smoked ang hoon.

for those flats i'm too young to see how they were built thus cannot provide anecdotal evidence. but i agree with you that they are solidly in stable condition - 1st, they are lower and thus have less weight pressing down; 2nd, they were built in an era when angmo or brit administrators and professionals were still around for plans, permits and supervision; 3rd, early sinkie engineers and professionals were straight arrows and no anyhow humtum char kway teow hawkers. still see low rises of pubic housing in the old airport road area, right across from hawker center. i remember vividly when a chiobu spg dashed from bus stop to the nearest ground floor (open) doorway where an uncle was standing, shoved him aside, and proceeded to shit in his loo. must be the runs from bad bee hoon. from that moment on i started having fascination with runny fecal matter.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If you are aged 69 like me then you would have seen lots of the samsui women working on the old SIT flats. They were hardy and tough and many of them smoked ang hoon.

Yeah, they were really tough. Used to see them balance 2 heavy loads on a bamboo stick over their backs. Ask our NS boys to do it for 30 mins and they will cry. The samsui women did it all day long in the hot sun.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is falling apart.

With unqualified and unskilled 3rd world foreigners building our HDB flats and condos, more problems will surface in the next 20 to 30yrs

Alamakinky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS boys have maids to carry their stuff in the field in times of peace and during war.

Yeah, they were really tough. Used to see them balance 2 heavy loads on a bamboo stick over their backs. Ask our NS boys to do it for 30 mins and they will cry. The samsui women did it all day long in the hot sun.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Meanwhile, sell sell to these oblivious sinkies!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *choke* *choke* *cough* *cough*

Most Sinkies do not realize they are paying upfront rentals with interests to boot, they hold on to neither the pigeon hole nor its title deed... home owners? Bwahahahahahahaaa... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With unqualified and unskilled 3rd world foreigners building our HDB flats and condos, more problems will surface in the next 20 to 30yrs

When I see giant monstrosities like the Pinnacle that is 50 stories high I worry because there is less margin for error. Many will get hurt or die if anything were to happen.