• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Halimah Yacob, the perfect example of why S’pore is doomed

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good reminder. Under the compulsory voting system, most seem to assume they must tick for someone and forget that spoiling their votes is a perfectly legitimate way to express their non-support for any of the candidates/political parties shown on the ballot paper.

I have not voted for any of the Presidents they put up...I spoiled the vote & will never....not even that the late.."fat block of lard"...or "kfc" tan or....
a stereo type race...is a no no......

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nathan was never elected, twice walk-over and potential candidates did not qualify. By when you see him carry on like a pork chop and the establishment claiming that he was popular with people when he was never elected by them in the first place is quite rich.

You do however realise that spoiling the vote just helps the PAP endorsed candidate if there is indeed a contest. Mathematically you do realise that spoilt vote actually helps the establishment. Its flawed logic. If the the desire is to give the PAP a bloody nose, vote in a donkey if it stands against the PAP's candidate. It show that Singaporeans are fed up with the establishment and their string of failed policies from immigration to the economy.

I have not voted for any of the Presidents they put up...I spoiled the vote & will never....not even that the late.."fat block of lard"...or "kfc" tan or....
a stereo type race...is a no no......

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Halimah yacob is an shiny example of social mobility. She will be a postal girl for every SIngaporean. Every single brain wash singkie will die die want to be like her.

Social mobility is overly marketed in Singapore.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
"my bad bad" simply means "my very bad", like people saying "hot hot" when they are very hot. :biggrin:

"My bad my bad" means the
mistake is his and his alone. This is the first and last time you will hear a PAP MP and Minister admit he did anything wrong.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The old birth certs for kids reflected the dialect groups (DG) of the parents ("Hokkien", "Cantonese", etc) only, not the child's. The parents' DGs were reflected as being the "race" of the parents. DGs were later dropped as a classification of "race" and instead, both the parents' (not child) "race" and "dialect group" were recorded, eg."Chinese/Cantonese" in today's birth certificates.

Having said that, the "dialect group" and "race" of a child have never been recorded in the birth certificates of old or in today's birth certs. Neither is DG reflected in the NRICs of old and the present. Only the "race" of the child/holder is shown in the ICs, eg. "Chinese".

So on Humplimah's IC, does it say Indian?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
" Her father was a Muslim Indian working as a jagar (watchman) and her Malay mother was a food seller."

I refer to the above sentence which caught my eye.

If this is true, doesn't the fact that her father is an Indian make her an Indian rather than a Malay.

I thought that the next elected President is reserved for the Malay race.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh yeah this is correct. I recall they created a committee solely to check on the presidential candidate's background to ensure he/she is pure or at least majority malay in race.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
So on Humplimah's IC, does it say Indian?

If the reports about her father being an "Indian" is true, and it is recorded in her birth cert and his IC that he is an "Indian", I have no doubts her IC would reflect her as being an "Indian".

In the eyes of the Malays though, "being Malay" is more of a "social "/"religious" issue than a "legal" issue of what is recorded in their ICs. As a young girl, she may like other young "Malays" who upon receiving their ICs for the first time, be puzzled as to why their ICs record them as being "Indians", etc when they have been living their lives as "Malays" all along.

The perjorative DKK / DKA (Darah Keturunan Keling / Darah Keturunan Arab) was more of an early 1940s /1950s thing. Now, a person of different ethnicity be it Chinese, Indian, Eurasian, etc is accepted to have "masuk Melayu" ("entered Malay") and hence is accepted as being a "Malay" after "complete" assimilation. This means these "masuk Melayus" have Malay names, speak Malay, marry Malays/Muslims, adopt Malay culture and customs (clothing, food, culture, etc) and most important of all, are Muslims.

I have not checked what the PE criteria for being a "Malay" is. But for all intents and purposes, Halimah is a "Malay". She fits the "social"/"religious" definition of a Malay. Most importantly, she is accepted by the Malays as being a "Malay" just as the Malays in Malaysia accept Mahatir Mohammad as a "Malay" even though his dad's ancestors were from Kerala, India; and their acceptance of Abdullah Badawi as a "Malay" even though his grandmother (maternal) was a Hainanese Chinese.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Halimah yacob is an shiny example of social mobility. She will be a postal girl for every SIngaporean. Every single brain wash singkie will die die want to be like her.

Social mobility is overly marketed in Singapore.

Should be [ poster girl ] rather than "postal girl" (postal as in post office)

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If the reports about her father being an "Indian" is true, and it is recorded in her birth cert and his IC that he is an "Indian", I have no doubts her IC would reflect her as being an "Indian".

In the eyes of the Malays though, "being Malay" is more of a "social "/"religious" issue than a "legal" issue of what is recorded in their ICs. As a young girl, she may like other young "Malays" who upon receiving their ICs for the first time, be puzzled as to why their ICs record them as being "Indians", etc when they have been living their lives as "Malays" all along.

The perjorative DKK / DKA (Darah Keturunan Keling / Darah Keturunan Arab) was more of an early 1940s /1950s thing. Now, a person of different ethnicity be it Chinese, Indian, Eurasian, etc is accepted to have "masuk Melayu" ("entered Malay") and hence is accepted as being a "Malay" after "complete" assimilation. This means these "masuk Melayus" have Malay names, speak Malay, marry Malays/Muslims, adopt Malay culture and customs (clothing, food, culture, etc) and most important of all, are Muslims.

I have not checked what the PE criteria for being a "Malay" is. But for all intents and purposes, Halimah is a "Malay". She fits the "social"/"religious" definition of a Malay. Most importantly, she is accepted by the Malays as being a "Malay" just as the Malays in Malaysia accept Mahatir Mohammad as a "Malay" even though his dad's ancestors were from Kerala, India; and their acceptance of Abdullah Badawi as a "Malay" even though his grandmother (maternal) was a Hainanese Chinese.

Well, you are going down a very slippery slope here when you include religion in the definition of an ethnic race. The amendments to the elected Presidency clearly say that it has to come from whatever ethnic segment of the country whose turn it is to contribute a president. Not the religious segment. The presumption here is that the vast majority of Malays are muslims, but there is a minority that are non practicing. The criteria does not say the candidate must be Malay and a Muslim. If the next round of PE candidates have to be from the Chinese segment, then do they have to be Buddhist too? Many chinese are Christians. What if its the turn for an Indian candidate? Must the candidate be Hindu? Even though many Indians are Sikhs and Christians? This is why they did not add the religion element here. And for the purpose of our discourse, the religious element has to be left out too.

If you therefore disregard Humplimah's religion, which you must, then you boil it down to just ethnicity, which is what the PEC says the overiding criteria for the next President must be. In this case, is she Indian or Malay? If her father is Indian, then her IC should say she is Indian too. Therefore, she cannot meet the PEC criteria. And cannot be the next President. I give you the case of Vivian Balakrishnan. Is he Indian or Chinese? His father was Indian, and his mother is Chinese. Would anyone in SIngapore identify him as a chinese? I don't think anyone would call him chinese. Because he follows his father's ethnicity on his IC. If his father was Chinese and his mother was Indian, and he had a chinese surname, even then, i don't think people would call him Chinese. But look further at Vivian. He marries a Chinese lady, speaks chinese, lives like a chinese, eats chinese food, but would you still call him chinese? I think not. Now what about his kids? They are 3/4 chinese, but they don't look like chinese at all. They are dark skin and have different features, no one meeting his kids would ever think they were chinese, even though they are 75%. Just like Vivian is not identified with his mother's ethnic background, Humplimah also cannot be identified with her mother's background.

Now lets look at Yaacob Ibrahim. He married a Puerto Rican. His kids are raised in the muslim faith, I am sure they are immersed and grew up in the malay culture, I am sure they speak malay, etc. But if you saw them, would you call them malays? I think not. Lets not forget too the Nonya culture, which were basically inter marriages between Chinese and Malays. Obviously, the malays that married these chinese and became Nonyas were not Muslims. Otherwise babi pongteh would not be a Nonya dish. There is some small precedent therefore, that not all Malays were muslims, just like not all Arabs are Muslims.

Look at this as not just an exercise in trying to satisfy the PEC requirements and criteria. Instead, look at it from my viewpoint.
Which is: The PAP is so fucked up and so out of touch that it passes a law amending the Presidential criteria that favours it, but belatedly finds out that all its top so call malay candidates are not malays at all. How stupid can you be? Halimah is Indian or Malay? Masagoes is Arab or Malay? Yaacob might be the only pure malay in the senior PAP ranks, but he is married to a non muslim, a catholic and his sons are dual citizens, hence making him unpalatable too. Of all the malays in singapore, they could not find one 100% true blooded malay in their party to stand for the presidency. That is pretty pathetic.

In addition, the PAP is so out of touch with reality that it fails to see that there are many interracial marriages in singapore. Indians marry Chinese. Europeans marry malay and chinese. Indians marry malays. etc. Singapore is a big melting pot. Gay Loong himself has malay blood. All that moron has to do is look around in his cabinet and MP's faces and see many mixed races like Vivian, Indranee Rajah (father Hindu, mother Chinese), etc. And in the future, singaporeans will be more mixed as the products of inter marriages themselves get married and reproduced. eg. Iswaran's wife is an angmo. His kids might have Indian on their IC, but what about their kids? After 50 years in power, the PAP is still carving up singapore into races, which if I recalled was what caused the riots after independence. they have failed to engender a national identity. We are all singaporeans. we are not Indian singaporeans, or Chinese singaporeans or whatever. the PAP is still playing the race card to conquer and divide. To make sure that not one ethnic race is predominantly anti PAP. This issue of the need to vary the race of the President was never even an issue. The PAP basically raised up a non issue.

Having said all this, the PAP is the PAP. If they say this Doberman is a Persian cat, the court will confirm it for them. If they say Halimah is an alien from Mars, 70% gong cheebye and the Court will agree with them. So, if they say Halimah is malay, despite all contrary evidence, then she will be made one.

Last edited:

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having said all this, the PAP is the PAP. If they say this Doberman is a Persian cat, the court will confirm it for them. If they say Halimah is an alien from Mars, 70% gong cheebye and the Court will agree with them. So, if they say Halimah is malay, despite all contrary evidence, then she will be made one.

Excellent write-up.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If the PAP continues to play the racial card, it really makes a mockery of our national pledge which LHL quoted in his announcement in Parliament on Tuesday, Nov 8, 2016 on the Constitutional Amendment Bill regarding the next Presidential Elections due in 2017.

Quoting the pledge he said: "We 'pledge ourselves as one united people, regardless of race, language or religion', and we must continue striving towards this goal.": The Straits Times, NOV 8, 2016

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, you are going down a very slippery slope here when you include religion in the definition of an ethnic race. The amendments to the elected Presidency clearly say that it has to come from whatever ethnic segment of the country whose turn it is to contribute a president. Not the religious segment. The presumption here is that the vast majority of Malays are muslims, but there is a minority that are non practicing. The criteria does not say the candidate must be Malay and a Muslim. If the next round of PE candidates have to be from the Chinese segment, then do they have to be Buddhist too? Many chinese are Christians. What if its the turn for an Indian candidate? Must the candidate be Hindu? Even though many Indians are Sikhs and Christians? This is why they did not add the religion element here. And for the purpose of our discourse, the religious element has to be left out too.

If you therefore disregard Humplimah's religion, which you must, then you boil it down to just ethnicity, which is what the PEC says the overiding criteria for the next President must be. In this case, is she Indian or Malay? If her father is Indian, then her IC should say she is Indian too. Therefore, she cannot meet the PEC criteria. And cannot be the next President. I give you the case of Vivian Balakrishnan. Is he Indian or Chinese? His father was Indian, and his mother is Chinese. Would anyone in SIngapore identify him as a chinese? I don't think anyone would call him chinese. Because he follows his father's ethnicity on his IC. If his father was Chinese and his mother was Indian, and he had a chinese surname, even then, i don't think people would call him Chinese. But look further at Vivian. He marries a Chinese lady, speaks chinese, lives like a chinese, eats chinese food, but would you still call him chinese? I think not. Now what about his kids? They are 3/4 chinese, but they don't look like chinese at all. They are dark skin and have different features, no one meeting his kids would ever think they were chinese, even though they are 75%. Just like Vivian is not identified with his mother's ethnic background, Humplimah also cannot be identified with her mother's background.

Now lets look at Yaacob Ibrahim. He married a Puerto Rican. His kids are raised in the muslim faith, I am sure they are immersed and grew up in the malay culture, I am sure they speak malay, etc. But if you saw them, would you call them malays? I think not. Lets not forget too the Nonya culture, which were basically inter marriages between Chinese and Malays. Obviously, the malays that married these chinese and became Nonyas were not Muslims. Otherwise babi pongteh would not be a Nonya dish. There is some small precedent therefore, that not all Malays were muslims, just like not all Arabs are Muslims.

Look at this as not just an exercise in trying to satisfy the PEC requirements and criteria. Instead, look at it from my viewpoint.
Which is: The PAP is so fucked up and so out of touch that it passes a law amending the Presidential criteria that favours it, but belatedly finds out that all its top so call malay candidates are not malays at all. How stupid can you be? Halimah is Indian or Malay? Masagoes is Arab or Malay? Yaacob might be the only pure malay in the senior PAP ranks, but he is married to a non muslim, a catholic and his sons are dual citizens, hence making him unpalatable too. Of all the malays in singapore, they could not find one 100% true blooded malay in their party to stand for the presidency. That is pretty pathetic.

In addition, the PAP is so out of touch with reality that it fails to see that there are many interracial marriages in singapore. Indians marry Chinese. Europeans marry malay and chinese. Indians marry malays. etc. Singapore is a big melting pot. Gay Loong himself has malay blood. All that moron has to do is look around in his cabinet and MP's faces and see many mixed races like Vivian, Indranee Rajah (father Hindu, mother Chinese), etc. And in the future, singaporeans will be more mixed as the products of inter marriages themselves get married and reproduced. eg. Iswaran's wife is an angmo. His kids might have Indian on their IC, but what about their kids? After 50 years in power, the PAP is still carving up singapore into races, which if I recalled was what caused the riots after independence. they have failed to engender a national identity. We are all singaporeans. we are not Indian singaporeans, or Chinese singaporeans or whatever. the PAP is still playing the race card to conquer and divide. To make sure that not one ethnic race is predominantly anti PAP. This issue of the need to vary the race of the President was never even an issue. The PAP basically raised up a non issue.

Excellent !

Since the PAP has had a very significant majority in the Parliament, the morally right step is to call a National Referendum before they pass the legislation to amend the Constitution.
The PAP has displayed a disregard for racial equality by reserving the forthcoming Presidential Elections for Malay candidates.
I hope that Singaporeans will take steps to challenge this, and hopefully, the Court, will support the commoners.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Awesome write up Papsmearer! Hopefully it goes viral and encourages more Sinkies to come in here and fight the PAP!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Awesome write up Papsmearer! Hopefully it goes viral and encourages more Sinkies to come in here and fight the PAP!

Been fucking the PAP through the ballot box over many moons... other than HGSMC & AJGRC, so far nothing much is happening... nothing much is happening...

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, you are going down a very slippery slope here when you include religion in the definition of an ethnic race. ...

I understand where you are coming from and agree with many of your sentiments. But for the Malays, being Muslim is an integral part of being a "Malay" and being accepted by the Malay community as one. I don't believe the Malays would accept a Malay who is a Christian, Buddhist or Hindu as being an "authentic" Malay. That is why the tens of thousands of Malay-Christians and those "new citizens" from the Philippines who are Malays but are Christians are categorised, to their puzzlement, as "Others" and not "Malays". (Not many people realise Filipinos are Malays.) That is also one of the main reasons why the Muslim Arabs from the Arab world and Muslim Minangkabaus, Bugis, Javanese, Boyanese, etc from Indonesia are easily assimilated into the Malay community and are considered and accepted as being "Malays" whilst Indonesian Batak Christians are not.

During ESD's favourite 6.9 million "A Sustainable Population for a Dynamic Singapore" white paper debate in Parliament in February 2013, the former Malay MP, Zainal Sapari, sought a clarification as to whether the new "Malay" citizens from the Philippines were categorised as "Malays", as unhappily rumored amongst the Singaporean Malay community. This is what he said:

"If it is true, this would mean that even though the percentage [of Malay Singaporeans] is maintained, the identity and the meaning of the label 'Malay' will change."

The flip side to this issue and one which may be worth a bit of a think is whether Singaporean Chinese would accept a kurung and tudung clad Chinese who has been adopted and raised as a Malay (and for all intents and purposes is a "Malay" - married to a Malay, speaks Malay, dressed as a Malay, is Muslim, goes on Haj, doesn't eat pork, fast during Puasa, celebrates Hari Raya and follows all the social and cultural norms and practices of a Malay) but whose IC reflects her as a Chinese. Would such a person "qualify"as being a "Chinese" in the eyes of Chinese, i.e. assuming the PE has a similar requirement of what constitutes a "Chinese"?

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chiam See Tong stated this in Parliament in April 1985 during a budget debate centering around HDB subsidies:

"Well if the the Prime Minister [then LKY] says so, it must be so."

So we can't really blame the PAP or 70% gong cheebyes for having a similar "if the PAP says so, it must be so" mentality. Even the so called opposition does. If the PAP is able to transform an Indian Murali Pillai to become a Chinese Ah Mu, there is no way on earth that Halimah cannot be a "Malay", even if her IC shows her to be an "Indian" or space alien.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the PAP has had a very significant majority in the Parliament, the morally right step is to call a National Referendum before they pass the legislation to amend the Constitution. The PAP has displayed a disregard for racial equality by reserving the forthcoming Presidential Elections for Malay candidates.
I hope that Singaporeans will take steps to challenge this, and hopefully, the Court, will support the commoners.

The best solution is to simply scrap these meaningless PEs. Just visit the zoo, select one of Ah Meng's descendants, train it to shake hands, cut ribbons and stand in the jeep without toppling over whilst she is waving to the crowd during National Day parades. It will be a whole lot cheaper.