• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Big Leonard and NS policies

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obtaining PR and actually moving there are 2 different things. Some make the move, others do not. He did not leave any of his posts or resign to make the move unlike his family. I am dead certain that you are not liable for taxes in Canada even if you are granted PR until you actually move there.

You mentioned that the entire family obtained PR back then. If his wife and kids had remained in Canada, he should have filed taxes for 5 years (period before his PR lapses).

Did he? Anyway this is all speculative. But I am sure there is a lot more to the story.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yeah so easy migrate right? So easy get high paying job in Canada right?

So easy why the TCM don't stay in Canada leh? Why don't file tax leh?

Must hear the whole story lah. Could very well be TCM is the one cannot go to Canada visit family and sons Liao. So sons had to go back to SG.

Don't be cock lah. How can TCM cannot go to Canada to visit his family and sons? Even if his landed immigrant visa is invalid because he did not stay in canada the minimum amount of time, he can still visit them as a tourist. I think the last time I went to canada, I did not even need to apply for visa. If he does not have a criminal record he should be able to go to canada any time to visit his family.

I just mentioned in post #47 about some people I know in Hong Kong who are astronaut fathers, go and read that post. Many such fathers settle their family and wife in canada and then go back to HKG or China to work. In TCM's case, its singapore. Mostly they have mistresses and enjoy the carefree bachelor live there. does that answer why he don't stay in canada?. As for filing taxes, we don't know this, we do not have the information. Its possible that TCM does file taxes in Canada. I myself have to file taxes in canada because I have an investment property and collect rental income.

In TCM's case, yes its easy to migrate. In fact, he already succeeded. He just did not want to stay in canada for whatever reasons but his family did. As for high paying job, even being a run of the mill lawyer in toronto should be a very comfortable living.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
CMPB's Enlistment Officers would never "raid" let alone enter TCM's apartment after he told them that his sons had emigrated.

They do conduct raids in the middle of the night, entering and searching the house of defaulters.
But that depends on who was the target. Not for people like TCM.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The fact that he is not a resident in Canada has been established at the very start. He has been working in Singapore all his life.

For tax purposes there are different considerations that determine if one is a resident in Canada. Scroobal, you cannot possibly be familiar with CRA rules. Be careful when you give advice regarding taxation for Canadian PRs. While many astronauts do not declare tax, it does not make it legal.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

Step 1: Determine if you have residential ties with Canada
The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain, or you establish, residential ties with Canada.

Significant residential ties to Canada include:

a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and
dependants in Canada;

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
For tax purposes there are different considerations that determine if one is a resident in Canada. Scroobal, you cannot possibly be familiar with CRA rules. Be careful when you give advice regarding taxation for Canadian PRs. While many astronauts do not declare tax, it does not make it legal.

The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain, or you establish, residential ties with Canada.

a home in Canada;
dependants in Canada;

Screwedball is an expert on everything mah, even Canadian taxes. Don't you know this?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Only residents are required to file T1.
He is most probably a non-resident.

I am not a resident
of Canada but I file Canadian taxes. So what you say is not accurate at all. I own an income property investment in canada and I have to file witholding taxes every year of 25%. Usually I get a refund back after I pay all the expenses like mortgage interest and property tax. This is what happens when you go to a property road show and they sell you a canadian condo.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
They do conduct raids in the middle of the night, entering and searching the house of defaulters. But that depends on who was the target. Not for people like TCM.

In this case, it's not because he is TCM but simply because CMPB was able to confirm the story he told the EOs about his sons having left the country to be true. So, there was no longer any need for, nor were there any "raids" (as claimed and as "checked") on his property. His son's name was simply put on the Gazette.

Previously, a certain period would be allowed to elapse after the first cordial visit (again, not "raid") to allow for time and the families' help or even the kids themselves to "surface" and "surrender" themselves to CMPB before searches were initiated. These were only for kids who had not left the country. (They usually turned out to be addicts and SS gang members). The policy wrt to this "elapsed time" may have since changed though.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
For tax purposes there are different considerations that determine if one is a resident in Canada.

Good point. "Residency" status by taxation authorities in countries (including Singapore's IRAS) are determined by a different set of rules to that used by these countries' Immigration/Citizenship authorities for the determination of "residency" status.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The operating principles are more less what needs to understood. As he never moved or worked in Canada , there is no history and the "primary ties" is not tenable even though his family has resided in Canada.

Can you imagine someone asked to pay Canadian taxes on the basis that the family has moved there but the main income owner has not and the income is not derived in Canada and there is no history of residency or past tax history in Canada.

I don't think that Canada is unique and special to put out something that is quite ridiculous as that.

I know that the US requirements are onerous and therefore many have given up their US citizenship.

a home in Canada;
dependants in Canada;

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they are based in BC Vancouver then any form of real estate investment would have yield substantial return on their investment.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The operating principles are more less what needs to understood. As he never moved or worked in Canada , there is no history and the "primary ties" is not tenable even though his family has resided in Canada.

Can you imagine someone asked to pay Canadian taxes on the basis that the family has moved there but the main income owner has not and the income is not derived in Canada and there is no history of residency or past tax history in Canada.

I don't think that Canada is unique and special to put out something that is quite ridiculous as that.

I know that the US requirements are onerous and therefore many have given up their US citizenship.

That's your interpretation scroobal. Canada taxes on worldwide income. If the family resides in Canada the father is taxed on his worldwide income.

You can ask CRA this question before you give advice on taxation in Canada. There is nothing to argue on the basis of a tax rule being smart or stupid. Canada for example pays for free healthcare for TCM's wife and sons. Who funds it? Taxpayers. Do you think it is smart to let TCM pay zero taxes while his family enjoys the privileges of being Canadian residents?

Unlike the whole how to get son deferment and exit permit etc in Singapore which has no public information on any website etc, your word cannot be disputed objectively.

But with Canadian tax laws and rules they have clear guidelines and criteria. Everyone can go read it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
That's your interpretation scroobal. Canada taxes on worldwide income. If the family resides in Canada the father is taxed on his worldwide income.

You can ask CRA this question before you give advice on taxation in Canada. There is nothing to argue on the basis of a tax rule being smart or stupid. Canada for example pays for free healthcare for TCM's wife and sons. Who funds it? Taxpayers. Do you think it is smart to let TCM pay zero taxes while his family enjoys the privileges of being Canadian residents?

Unlike the whole how to get son deferment and exit permit etc in Singapore which has no public information on any website etc, your word cannot be disputed objectively.

But with Canadian tax laws and rules they have clear guidelines and criteria. Everyone can go read it.

Screwedball is expert on everything including Canadian taxes. How dare u defy him?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

So, from what you are saying, TCM, the crooked lawyer played the Canadian system. He lands in canada with his family, but immediately goes back to singapore to avoid being a canadian resident and having to pay the taxes there. In the meantime, his family gets a canadian education for free, pays minimal income taxes if any at all, (assuming the wife does not work and gets money from singapore from TCM) , the sons get a canadian uni education for free, free health care, etc. He is one smart lawyer, crooked, but smart.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
So, from what you are saying, TCM, the crooked lawyer played the Canadian system. He lands in canada with his family, but immediately goes back to singapore to avoid being a canadian resident and having to pay the taxes there. In the meantime, his family gets a canadian education for free, pays minimal income taxes if any at all, (assuming the wife does not work and gets money from singapore from TCM) , the sons get a canadian uni education for free, free health care, etc. He is one smart lawyer, crooked, but smart.

I did not say that. I suggested the above as a possibility. And because of that TCM runs afoul with CRA. It is also very possible that TCM paid his Canadian taxes as required as has no issues with CRA.

It is Scroobal however who insists that TCM should not have to pay any Canadian income taxes by doing the above. To do so would be CRA having very stupid rules in taxes.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obtaining PR and actually moving there are 2 different things. Some make the move, others do not. He did not leave any of his posts or resign to make the move unlike his family. I am dead certain that you are not liable for taxes in Canada even if you are granted PR until you actually move there.

Yes Sir. 100% Correct. See Below.