• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious New Comedian Minister Cheebye Hong "we have a reliable media". hahahhahahahahah

retrenched

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course it is. Dun be fooled by opposition propaganda. The necessary conditions are: 1) do we have a national broadcaster? (Yes we have), 2) Do people turn to it for news? (Yes some of us do) and 3) Is it a credible and reliable source of news? (Yes it is)

You may fault it for being short on facts, for opinions you do not agree with, but it is not enough to claim it is not credible and unreliable. It is not credible when it reports falsehood (e.g. Loong wore a blue shirt for NDR instead of a pink one), not reliable when it reports facts that cannot be verified (e.g. HK agrees to release Terrexes but no source quoted).

If you say it is not credible and unreliable, you got to back it up! That is how debate among men of reason is done. Not sneer and smear, that is too easy sir! Children do that! :mad:

dun want to waste time with you - 154th position says it all.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
what is super amazing to me is that this moron was the principal private secretary to Old Fart. And Old Fart does not tolerate stupid people gladly. But some how, Old Fart put up with this moron and his incessant stupid comments for 3 years. Old Fart must have been already senile back then.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
what is super amazing to me is that this moron was the principal private secretary to Old Fart. And Old Fart does not tolerate stupid people gladly. But some how, Old Fart put up with this moron and his incessant stupid comments for 3 years. Old Fart must have been already senile back then.

LKY in his latter years was different from LKY of 1965. Even an idiot would be able to bluff a senile LKY after 2010. Moral of the story is that a leader should never overstay his usefulness. If he overstays, it is incumbent of leaders around him to gently get him out so that he does not cause harm to the country.

LKY overstayed and caused much harm to SG

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What! He was the principal private secretary to MP LKY?

I wonder who paid his salary?

LKY or SG?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
traditionally, the 3rd day of CNY suppose to observe caution in one's speech. it's a reminder to be careful with what you speak. this joker didn't know our fine Chinese customs or what and start to shoot his mouth off ? go back kindergarten.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Is this the same media that said that PRC workers "refused to go to work" when they went on STRIKE????

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
LKY in his latter years was different from LKY of 1965. Even an idiot would be able to bluff a senile LKY after 2010. Moral of the story is that a leader should never overstay his usefulness. If he overstays, it is incumbent of leaders around him to gently get him out so that he does not cause harm to the country.

LKY overstayed and caused much harm to SG

Old fart's principal private secretary from 2008 to 2011.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
traditionally, the 3rd day of CNY suppose to observe caution in one's speech. it's a reminder to be careful with what you speak. this joker didn't know our fine Chinese customs or what and start to shoot his mouth off ? go back kindergarten.

i don't know what this joker's chinese custom knowledge is like. But when you lo hei during chinese new year, should u not be doing it with close family at home? I have never lo hei with a bunch of strangers at a workplace that is not mine. In fact, I never even lo hei at the workplace before. But this moron apparently goes to the mediacorpse office to lo hei with the staff there. I think its bad luck to ho hei with strangers. That's just me.

16299612_926084400861315_3269109974157140339_o.jpg

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sat, Mar 07, 2009
The Straits Times

Foolish to advocate the learning of dialects

I REFER to yesterday's article by Ms Jalelah Abu Baker ('One generation - that's all it takes 'for a language to die'). It mentioned a quote from Dr Ng Bee Chin, acting head of Nanyang Technological University's (NTU) Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies: 'Although Singaporeans are still multilingual, 40 years ago, we were even more multilingual. Young children are not speaking some of these languages at all any more.'

To keep a language alive, it has to be used regularly. Using one language more frequently means less time for other languages. Hence, the more languages a person learns, the greater the difficulties of retaining them at a high level of fluency.

There are linguistically gifted individuals who can handle multiple languages, but Singapore's experience over 50 years of implementing the bilingual education policy has shown that most people find it extremely difficult to cope with two languages when they are as diverse as English and Mandarin.

This is why we have discouraged the use of dialects. It interferes with the learning of Mandarin and English. Singaporeans have to master English. It is our common working language and the language which connects us with the world.

We also emphasised the learning of Mandarin, to make it the mother tongue for all Chinese Singaporeans, regardless of their dialect groups. This is the common language of the 1.3 billion people in China. To engage China, overseas Chinese and foreigners are learning Mandarin and not the dialects of the different Chinese provinces.

We have achieved progress with our bilingual education in the past few decades. Many Singaporeans are now fluent in both English and Mandarin. It would be stupid for any Singapore agency or NTU to advocate the learning of dialects, which must be at the expense of English and Mandarin.

That was the reason the Government stopped all dialect programmes on radio and television after 1979. Not to give conflicting signals, then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew also stopped making speeches in Hokkien, which he had become fluent in after frequent use since 1961.

Chee Hong Tat
Principal Private Secretary
to the Minister Mentor

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
People like this fucker who are PSC scholars and then went into the civil service really puzzle the hell out of me. I mean this asshole was a double major at UC Berkeley, the bastion of free and liberal thinking and of course, champion of the free press. Did this jackass not learn anything in all his time at Berkeley. If there is one thing that Berkeley should have taught it, it would have been to question authority. Berkeley must be embarrassed like fuck to graduate a moron like him.

He kept his sight on the pot of gold back home. Free and liberal thinking be damned.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the letter that caught my eye. Old man in view of his age was clearly drifting and this guy must have turned on his afterburners to ingratiate himself. In later years, many of the Chinese press editors kept telling old man how impressed they were of his command of Mandarin and old man began to belief that too. There was even a book on Mandarin and old man's approach to it.

More importantly note how poorly the letter is written. I thought this guy was dead career wise after this letter but life throws out many surprises.

Sat, Mar 07, 2009
The Straits Times

Foolish to advocate the learning of dialects

I REFER to yesterday's article by Ms Jalelah Abu Baker ('One generation - that's all it takes 'for a language to die'). It mentioned a quote from Dr Ng Bee Chin, acting head of Nanyang Technological University's (NTU) Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies: 'Although Singaporeans are still multilingual, 40 years ago, we were even more multilingual. Young children are not speaking some of these languages at all any more.'

To keep a language alive, it has to be used regularly. Using one language more frequently means less time for other languages. Hence, the more languages a person learns, the greater the difficulties of retaining them at a high level of fluency.

There are linguistically gifted individuals who can handle multiple languages, but Singapore's experience over 50 years of implementing the bilingual education policy has shown that most people find it extremely difficult to cope with two languages when they are as diverse as English and Mandarin.

This is why we have discouraged the use of dialects. It interferes with the learning of Mandarin and English. Singaporeans have to master English. It is our common working language and the language which connects us with the world.

We also emphasised the learning of Mandarin, to make it the mother tongue for all Chinese Singaporeans, regardless of their dialect groups. This is the common language of the 1.3 billion people in China. To engage China, overseas Chinese and foreigners are learning Mandarin and not the dialects of the different Chinese provinces.

We have achieved progress with our bilingual education in the past few decades. Many Singaporeans are now fluent in both English and Mandarin. It would be stupid for any Singapore agency or NTU to advocate the learning of dialects, which must be at the expense of English and Mandarin.

That was the reason the Government stopped all dialect programmes on radio and television after 1979. Not to give conflicting signals, then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew also stopped making speeches in Hokkien, which he had become fluent in after frequent use since 1961.

Chee Hong Tat
Principal Private Secretary
to the Minister Mentor

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This is the letter that caught my eye. Old man in view of his age was clearly drifting and this guy must have turned on his afterburners to ingratiate himself. In later years, many of the Chinese press editors kept telling old man how impressed they were of his command of Mandarin and old man began to belief that too. There was even a book on Mandarin and old man's approach to it.

More importantly note how poorly the letter is written. I thought this guy was dead career wise after this letter but life throws out many surprises.

I doubt if this moron actually wrote the letter. More likely, he dictated it and allowed his own personal secretary to type it and make the grammatical and vocabulary changes as he/she saw fit. He then signed off on it. what you are seeing is the edited version of his original thoughts put on paper. You can say that not only is he a moron, he can't even hire a good assistant.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid to say we don't have reliable media. True what. Look at whose publications you are quoting! Not reliable you still quote? :rolleyes: